Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released

1. Never! The show sucks and does Elvis' "drug" image no good.
9
17%
2. Yes, please, I'm a collector like yourself and need it in my collection.
16
31%
3. No, because I already have it and don't need a re-release.
14
27%
4. Undecided.
1
2%
5. I'll do what Rob does.
5
10%
6. No re-release if you ask me, but because of other reasons.
1
2%
7. Yes, because I just l-o-v-e this outstanding show.
6
12%
 
Total votes : 52

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:13 pm

It appears the bootleggers are reading into this forum. We all need to be careful what we wish for.

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 pm

"Prisoner's Song"!

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 am

phpBB [video]



someone already got the new cd?
better sound?

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:10 am

I would buy it on vinyl to have it on my favorite format, but I see no reason for a major CD official or bootleg because it is so widely circulated. Let's get the 4-5-72 show or the 4-9-72 matinee shows that are harder to find.

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

All this talk about the College Park shows made me grab my copy of the Profile Box to give the show a spin again. I do not have the show from a day earlier. When I read the comments of John Wilkinson in the Guralnick book about the opening show of the 27th (and other accounts of that same show) I must admit it makes me curious. Can anybody here compare both shows?

It has been a very long time since I listened to the show of the 28th. I remember quite enjoying this. Forgive me, I wasn't an 'expert' on Elvis yet, just a starting fan.... Believe me, 17 years down the line I know better... :)

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm

The show on the 27th is actually better than the disaster from the following night. That, however, is not saying a lot. I may give the second show another listen some day. It won't be anytime soon. I will listen to the first show again. It is tolerable.

Keep in mind, the first show is an audience recording, which can hide a few things.

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

I bought this cd hoping that I'll finally be able to get rid of my two cdr's made straight from A Profile box 10 years ago. Unfortunatelly, I have to keep my cdr's because the sound on this re-issue is crap. They used some noise reduction and other tricks just to screw the original sound. So, dear amateurs behind this , I had to spend 35 $ to find out that even 15 years after A Profile box, you cant deliver at least identical copy-paste sound. You had to made it worse. Idiots.

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am

Robt wrote:
Robert wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Robt wrote:Since Ernst saw fit to release the Indiana October 1 1974 show some years ago, where Elvis was in an even worse state then he might as well release the College park.


Worse state? the indiana show was actually quite good..


People who think South Bend was just as bad as College Park don't get "it".
Our friend Jak attended South Bend and enjoyed it.
The FTD showed the show is not stellar but certainly 'OK'. Sound is not the greatest though.

College Park is maybe the worst show Elvis ever gave on every aspect.
See the difference?


I disagree. Either Amarillo or Omaha '77 were much worse than either indiana or college park '74.


College Park 1974, Amarillo and Omaha 1977 make an embarassing trio. No need to discuss which factually is worse. I find it too painfull to listen to either one of these concerts to make a study out of it. Although I am glad to have been able to hear these shows because of historic value, I prefer shows which show cases his talent.

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 am

Rob wrote:The show on the 27th is actually better than the disaster from the following night. That, however, is not saying a lot. I may give the second show another listen some day. It won't be anytime soon. I will listen to the first show again. It is tolerable.

Keep in mind, the first show is an audience recording, which can hide a few things.


well said it is the "I'll take back your Kidney" type speech from Elvis to Felton Jarvis whilst complaining about the sound that show anyone just how bad a 'state' Elvis was during the show and Vocally his voice 'cracking' at the end of HOW GREAT THOUGH ART is embaressing and maybe his worst ever version of a song he could nearly ALWAYS deliver on.
:? :? :?

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 am

YDKM wrote:
Rob wrote:The show on the 27th is actually better than the disaster from the following night. That, however, is not saying a lot. I may give the second show another listen some day. It won't be anytime soon. I will listen to the first show again. It is tolerable.

Keep in mind, the first show is an audience recording, which can hide a few things.


well said it is the "I'll take back your Kidney" type speech from Elvis to Felton Jarvis whilst complaining about the sound that show anyone just how bad a 'state' Elvis was during the show and Vocally his voice 'cracking' at the end of HOW GREAT THOUGH ART is embaressing and maybe his worst ever version of a song he could nearly ALWAYS deliver on.
:? :? :?


Go figure, the next time visited the area was Baltimore 1977.
Ouch.

That said, i think both College Park shows were equally bad, the opening show maybe slightly better but as Rob pointed out, an audience recording can hide several shortcomings.

The shows may not have been disasters in terms of the crowd booing, major walk outs or refund requests (in fact the audience responds is good if you listen to both recordings!), but given Elvis talents this is as low as it can get.

I remember vividly the first time I played the CP soundboard and it took me one second (O See..) to think: WTF is happening here!

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm

We can be really glad that albert goldman did not have acess to soundboards like this or the likemof dessert storm etc.
If he had...he just had to take excerpts of those concerts to play on tv where he appeared in the 80s....and it would have been worse.....
Yes, the general public may know elvis in concert 1977....but things like this were never really in any documentary......
If they had internet and youtube back in elvis days.....audio and video of such concert would be the next day all over youtube....and he would have been murdered by the public media for it....