Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released

1. Never! The show sucks and does Elvis' "drug" image no good.
17%
2. Yes, please, I'm a collector like yourself and need it in my collection.
31%
3. No, because I already have it and don't need a re-release.
27%
4. Undecided.
2%
5. I'll do what Rob does.
10%
6. No re-release if you ask me, but because of other reasons.
2%
7. Yes, because I just l-o-v-e this outstanding show.
12%

Total votes : 52

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm

James27 wrote:You think the same as I; some of the monologues are funny and revealing to say the least; and "Hound Dog" although sloppily performed holds some interest because it also reveals something about how they used to see Elvis back in the fifties, and it stuck (white trash..). At least that's what I THINK. But could someone give me the correct translation of what he exactly sings in that line?

Does it even matter? Listening to this makes me physically ill... this is not the Elvis millions of fans around the world know and love and bringing back reminders of just how far Elvis fell does no good for anyone... collector or otherwise. This show is trash... and that's where it belongs...

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm

There was an anger present that really bothered me on this tour, and some of the previous Vegas engagement. Elvis didn't behave like himself, or was it a side to him that hadn't been seen by the public before?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 am

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released?

"Some grandmothers are dried up like a prune, but you're not, you're pretty".

Hmm ... NO.

There are plenty of unheard tapes, recorded by fans and RCA, that merit a listen first.

These reviews say it all about the show in question:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/a_profile_vol_2.html

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 am

I have not heard the show like some of you have. But if it is as "bad" as some of you are suggesting, then I would say No.

It actually is a pretty good line up of songs, though (except for the performance by Voice).

rlj

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
James27 wrote:You think the same as I; some of the monologues are funny and revealing to say the least; and "Hound Dog" although sloppily performed holds some interest because it also reveals something about how they used to see Elvis back in the fifties, and it stuck (white trash..). At least that's what I THINK. But could someone give me the correct translation of what he exactly sings in that line?

Does it even matter? Listening to this makes me physically ill... this is not the Elvis millions of fans around the world know and love and bringing back reminders of just how far Elvis fell does no good for anyone... collector or otherwise. This show is trash... and that's where it belongs...

Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Wow.... calling this show "trash" is a bit over the top...
I agree it's not EP's best concert or finest hour, but "trash" is another thing;...

I for one, would give anything to be in that audience, to see him live, even in this show.
Sometimes (and believe me i'm not rose coloured glassed) i doubt some are "fans" here.
There is so much negativity going on on the artist that is Elvis.
He "may" be not good here to them, i still find sparkles from his greatness in EVERY performance.
Also in this one.

I won't break Elvis into the ground, i'll rather defend him.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Robt wrote:Since Ernst saw fit to release the Indiana October 1 1974 show some years ago, where Elvis was in an even worse state then he might as well release the College park.

Worse state? the indiana show was actually quite good..

Maybe he meant Indiana was a worst state than Maryland. I find the October 1 show to be actually decent compared to the College Park ones.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Robt wrote:I disagree. Either Amarillo or Omaha '77 were much worse than either indiana or college park '74.

June 19, 1977 is a show I can't sit through. I have never heard a bad version of That's All Right - but Omaha 77 comes close. When he starts cussing during Are You Lonesome Tonight, I just throw my hands up and stop watching. (I still love the Rapid City show. Still wish the suits, EPE, or Lisa Marie would reconsider releasing the Rapid City show :sosorry: They can burn the Omaha one, outside of How Great Thou Art)

College Park is a bad show in terms of context. Elvis wasn't doing bad concerts usually night after night, as he would end up doing for a lot of 1976. I always find College Park bad in the context of we expected more for the era, and we get a guy totally messed up. It's amazing he was blessed with a second chance in 1975 - and still managed to throw it back into the garbage by the end of that year.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Where is the "Why" choice?

I like listening to the opening vamp
phpBB [video]

- but unlike the night before -- it was just went on and on and on and on and on then Elvis' weak voice croaks out "Oh see." Here is the show above, you tell me if it needs re-release. [I always liked How Great Thou Art from the 9/27 and 9/28 shows - but they don't make them good shows]

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm

JohanD wrote:Wow.... calling this show "trash" is a bit over the top...
I agree it's not EP's best concert or finest hour, but "trash" is another thing;...

I for one, would give anything to be in that audience, to see him live, even in this show.
Sometimes (and believe me i'm not rose coloured glassed) i doubt some are "fans" here.
He "may" be not good here to them, i still find sparkles from his greatness in EVERY performance.
Also in this one.

Hmm.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

JohanD wrote:He "may" be not good here to them, i still find sparkles from his greatness in EVERY performance.
Also in this one.

Yes, 'Killing Me Softly' and 'When It's My Time' are quite good actually.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 am

Also in this one.

Well said written well!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 am

JohanD wrote:

Why do people need to do this so much? Does Elvis really need that much defending? He has achieved more than enough good things in his career to cover the few moments that were pure crap...this concert was one of them. Why are people so sensitive?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 am

Exogenesis wrote:
JohanD wrote:He "may" be not good here to them, i still find sparkles from his greatness in EVERY performance.
Also in this one.

Yes, 'Killing Me Softly' and 'When It's My Time' are quite good actually.

Elvis did not perform either one. They were done by Voice and the Stamps Quartet, respectively.

One imagines these unexpected "gems" absolutely thrilled the fans who paid good money to see Elvis Presley sing.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 am

I honestly would rather listen to the show from the 27th aka Chaos in College Park then the soundboard from the 28th.

Whether the audience recording mask all the lack luster performances or not compared to the clear sound board from the next night i still find opening show to be actually alot better than the following.

As for re releasing, i don't see the need too. Both have been put out in respectable matter on silver disc, if you want these shows that bad you can find them.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 am

Also in this one.

It is not his finest hour? Is that the nearest you can come to criticism of one of Presley's most embarassing shows. Trash isn't what I would call it either; the words "pitiful", "sad", "pathetic", "embarassing" and "humiliating" spring to mind. The negativity about this show is not caused by people being fans, but people being honest and viewing this show for what it was. Defend him all you want, but no-one except the most die-hard fans with their fingers in their ears shouting "la la la" at the top of their voice is going to believe any defence of this show. Any self-respecting fan would rather this concert be buried and never heard again than re-released so that one of Elvis's worst moments on stage be saved for posperity. Quite why being a fan means that one has to take some form of enjoyment out of a man's most embarassing and humiliating moments is something I will never understand.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am

memphisound wrote:I honestly would rather listen to the show from the 27th aka Chaos in College Park then the soundboard from the 28th.

Whether the audience recording mask all the lack luster performances or not compared to the clear sound board from the next night i still find opening show to be actually alot better than the following.

As for re releasing, i don't see the need too. Both have been put out in respectable matter on silver disc, if you want these shows that bad you can find them.

i absolutely agree :?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released?

Apparently it soon will be.

Coming soon……

ELVIS AS RECORDED LIVE IN

COLLEGE PARK

MARYLAND - SEPTEMBER 28, 1974

- A 2 CD-SET

- Newly re-mastered

- 39 tracks including "Big Boss Man", "Love Me Tender", "Trying To Get To You", "Heartbreak Hotel", "How Great Thou Art", "Hawaiian Wedding Song", "Blue Suede Shoes" and many others...

Including a 12 pages booklet with photos and recording information.

This show was released on the "A Profile - The King On Stage Vol.2" boxset (released in 1996) from the Fort Baxter label - Now available for the first time on 2 cd's including bonus tracks recorded live on tour.

ONE OF THE MOST TALKED ABOUT SHOWS...
Tracklisting:
CD 1: 01 SEE SEE RIDER 02 DIALOGUE 03 I GOT A WOMAN / AMEN 04 LOVE ME 05 IF YOU LOVE ME (LET ME KNOW) 06 IT’S MIDNIGHT 07 BIG BOSS MAN 08 FEVER 09 DIALOGUE 10 LOVE ME TENDER 11 HOUND DOG 12 BAND INTRODUCTIONS (PART 1) 13 JAMES BURTON’S GUITAR SOLO 14 RONNIE TUTT’S DRUMS SOLO 15 DUKE BARDWELL’S BASS SOLO 16 GLEN HARDIN’S PIANO SOLO 17 BAND INTRODUCTIONS CONTINUES 18 BLUE CHRISTMAS 19 ALL SHOOK UP 20 TEDDY BEAR / DON’T BE CRUEL 21 TRYING TO GET TO YOU 22 KILLING ME SOFTLY (BY VOICE) 23 WHEN IT’S MY TIME (BY THE STAMPS QUARTET)

CD 2:
01 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 02 LET ME BE THERE (WITH REPRISE) 03 HOW GREAT THOU ART 04 HAWAIIAN WEDDING SONG 05 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 06 DIALOGUE 07 CAN’T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 09 CLOSING VAMP 10 ANNOUNCEMENT

BONUS TRACKS - RECORDED LIVE ON TOUR
11 LAWDY MISS CLAWDY 12 WHY ME LORD 13 PROMISED LAND 14 YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN 15 THE WONDER OF YOU 16 THAT’S ALL RIGHT, MAMA (ELVIS ON ACOUSTIC GUITAR)

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:53 pm

It's a dream come true.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:57 pm

I can't wait... JohanD and I will be first in line to buy this gem... Elvis at his best!!! Right Johan!!!

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm

That's not what i said my friend.... :wink:

"It's not his finest hour"... and, i have the original Baxter releases, don't expect this as a serious soundupgrade either... so, i give it a miss....

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:13 pm

When I hear this show, I envision a backdrop of flashing lights, as in Aloha, spelling out, in multile langauges, "I'm All F--ked Up!"

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I refuse to buy it-whatever the sound is like it cannot make Elvis sound 'good' on that night!~ :? :(

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Maybe i goin to buy it, since i dont own the original box (I did have heard the show) Be nice on my shelf

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

The concert has its own merits..That makes it collectable..