Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released

1. Never! The show sucks and does Elvis' "drug" image no good.
17%
2. Yes, please, I'm a collector like yourself and need it in my collection.
31%
3. No, because I already have it and don't need a re-release.
27%
4. Undecided.
2%
5. I'll do what Rob does.
10%
6. No re-release if you ask me, but because of other reasons.
2%
7. Yes, because I just l-o-v-e this outstanding show.
12%

Total votes : 52

Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-released

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm

It is a terrible concert. Probably among the worst I ever heard involving Elvis, together with shows like the depressing Omaha 19-6-77 show and several '76-ers. But this was 1974, and probably the worst show up to this date that he ever gave.

Nevertheless, I'm a collector of soundboards and sold off the Profile box sets long ago, and the shows on them since have been re-released on single discs, sometimes with slightly better sound even.
This show remains unreleased since A profile vol. 2. Personally I would like it in my collection (again), and would buy a decent release on cd (probably a 2cd, since the show's length?).

But what are your standpoints? Should it never see the light of day again, or should it get a new escape, eh, release ? A couple of songs were already released by FTD years ago, as bonus tracks.

See See Rider
Dialogue
I Got A Woman/ Amen
Love Me
If You Love Me
It's Midnight
Big Boss Man
Fever
Dialogue
Love Me Tender
Hound Dog
Band introductions
Blue Christmas
All Shook Up
Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel
Tryin' To Get To You
Killing Me Softly (By Voice)
When It's My Time (By the Stamps quartet)
Heartbreak Hotel
Let Me Be There (with reprise)
How Great Thou Art
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Blue Suede Shoes
Dialogue
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp
(Recorded live, September 28, 1974, Maryland)

Re: Should College Park, Maryland 28-9-74 concert be re-rele

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I say bring it on! I've never had 'A Profile' vol. 2, but I obtained a straight cd-r copy with the covers 10 years ago. It's a bad concert, sometimes even embarrassing, but kinda fasinating also (if I remember correctly, some parts of the introduction were funny). This cd is something like Desert Storm, you not gonna listen to it very often, but you want it in your collection. So, I would welcome the re-issue with improved sound and a nice little booklet with the background info.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm

You think the same as I; some of the monologues are funny and revealing to say the least; and "Hound Dog" although sloppily performed holds some interest because it also reveals something about how they used to see Elvis back in the fifties, and it stuck (white trash..). At least that's what I THINK. But could someone give me the correct translation of what he exactly sings in that line?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Can't make out the line, but you can hear it here 48 seconds in:

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/profile2/35.ram

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

I collect most releases, but would have no use for this. I haven't listened to this show in years. It would still be a bad show in better sound if released.

No, thank you.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Why?

Although it's like 10 years ago when I last heard this show, I still remember that moment in 'How Great Thou Art' clearly... it did hurt.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

No. Last listened to it years ago, wouldn't again. Terrible vocals and when he talks, it's so clear he's off his tits.

A truly awful spectacle. Elvis put the slug in sluggish that day.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm

I can understand, It is painful.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Since Ernst saw fit to release the Indiana October 1 1974 show some years ago, where Elvis was in an even worse state then he might as well release the College park.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Robt wrote:Since Ernst saw fit to release the Indiana October 1 1974 show some years ago, where Elvis was in an even worse state then he might as well release the College park.

Worse state? the indiana show was actually quite good..

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't like the FTD show either, Elvis shouts more than he sings and is in a foul hyped-up mood, but College Park was worse IMO, he was running on low batteries, while almost agressively defensive. At other times he sounds drunk. Strange. I rooted for him the entire show the first time I heard it, hoping he would redeem himself in the end, like he often did by singing a song that blew off the roof, but like in Omaha, redemption didn't come. Unless one counts "How Great Thou Art" ('77 Omaha version).

But don't get me wrong, FTD has done a good job by releasing this show, because we already had the 2 Dayton shows, the College Park show was impossible to release, and there were probably no other reasonable shows on soundboards in their vaults. "Steamroller Blues" is good.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

James27 wrote:I don't like the FTD show either, Elvis shouts more than he sings and is in a foul hyped-up mood, but College Park was worse IMO, he was running on low batteries, while almost agressively defensive. At other times he sounds drunk. Strange. I rooted for him the entire show the first time I heard it, hoping he would redeem himself in the end, like he often did by singing a song that blew off the roof, but like in Omaha, redemption didn't come. Unless one counts "How Great Thou Art" ('77 Omaha version).

But don't get me wrong, FTD has done a good job by releasing this show, because we already had the 2 Dayton shows, the College Park show was impossible to release, and there were probably no other reasonable shows on soundboards in their vaults. "Steamroller Blues" is good.

You are aware, aren't you, that the concert as first released by Baxter is running at a slow speed ?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Doesn't make a difference, Elvis himself is running on the wrong speed also. The only thing holding him up is probably an amphetamine injection right before the show(*). He was f*cked up bad.

(*) personal opinion, not verified fact in my knowledge concerning this show- :|
Last edited by James27 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Nevertheless, I voted 2.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Robt wrote:Since Ernst saw fit to release the Indiana October 1 1974 show some years ago, where Elvis was in an even worse state then he might as well release the College park.

People who think South Bend was just as bad as College Park don't get "it".
Our friend Jak attended South Bend and enjoyed it.
The FTD showed the show is not stellar but certainly 'OK'. Sound is not the greatest though.

College Park is maybe the worst show Elvis ever gave on every aspect.
See the difference?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 pm

I also don't like the concert, because it is pretty obvious that Elvis is stoned. But on the other hand, the recording is a document of one of the most discussed concerts of the King. So if the sound and packaging were upgraded, I guess it'd be a nice re-release.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Robert wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

The FTD showed the show is not stellar but certainly 'OK'. Sound is not the greatest though.

See the difference?

I disagree. Either Amarillo or Omaha '77 were much worse than either indiana or college park '74.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Robt wrote:
Robert wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

See the difference?

I disagree. Either Amarillo or Omaha '77 were much worse than either indiana or college park '74.

i can't really agree with that. In omaha and amarillo elvis could atleast still keep up with the beat
Big Boss Man from the 28-9-74 shows a elvis that cant keep the beat.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't believe that to be the case and Elvis does a nice set list on that show, including a last minute screaming version of "Steamroller blues". :)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 am

no don't re-release this poor show :oops:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 am

This show is so sad. It might be the only show I've heard where he doesn't even do a good job on HGTA. He tells the audience he's going to blow the roof off the place (I'm paraphrasing) and then he just can't.

If I didn't have it in my collection, I would probably buy it for historical reasons. I won't buy it for upgraded sound or packaging.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am

Tony.. wrote:

I don't believe that to be the case and Elvis does a nice set list on that show, including a last minute screaming version of "Steamroller blues". :)
:o Yeah but he was stoned out of his mind that day more so than at College Park. I think the concert makes for a better listening experience if one was to convert to tape/CD the songs on their own and cut off all the dialogues.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:26 pm

College Park is the only show where he really can't reach his famous high notes, he also messes up the majority of his setlist as endings are ruined or he is out of pace during several songs.
The dialogues are strange but I would even go that far that they are more of a pleasure to listen to than the music.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

stevelecher wrote:This show is so sad. It might be the only show I've heard where he doesn't even do a good job on HGTA. He tells the audience he's going to blow the roof off the place (I'm paraphrasing) and then he just can't.

If I didn't have it in my collection, I would probably buy it for historical reasons. I won't buy it for upgraded sound or packaging.

Yeah, when he made that remark, and I heard it for the first time, I REALLY thought he somehow would be able to make something out of it.
But he was too far gone.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I still recall hearing the show for the first time... since then I returned to it a few times. It's shocking, it's bad - but different...