Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Where would Elvis have gone musically, if he had lived?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:02 pm

If Elvis had lived past '77, where do you think he would've gone musically? Do you think he'd have tried his hand at Disco (there are touches of it on Moody Blue)? New Wave? r would he have just setlled into Country fully?

Also, how much did Elvis know of what was "hot" in the '70s? How exposed was he to popular music from say, the Comeback to his death. What I mean is, outside of casually hearing a new song on the radio, was he aware of who was big and what was big in music, the sort of sounds that were defining the times (IE, post-Psychedelic Rock in the early 70s; Country and Bues Rock in the early 70s; The Stones; Arena Rock in the mid-late 70s and the beginnings of Glam, Disco, Funk)? Did he like any of it?

Re: Where would Elvis have gone musically, if he had lived?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

one of the songs i think elvis would have liked is I loved her First,

phpBB [video]

dunno why but it would have been great

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm

I think the longer he lived, the more and more he would have faded away to oblivion. Unless he were invited into the Traveling Wilburys or something like that. He would have needed the boost from a younger generation of artists to bolster his credibility. He would have needed some outside help to appear cool and relevant again. His inner circle was too enmeshed and co-dependent to ever lift Elvis or for Elvis to lift himself out of the mire. Maybe if he would have taken the offer for Led Zeppelin to be his house band or some other wild and crazy idea to get him the hell out of some of his very disfunctional relationships, he could have seen yet another comeback.

Maybe only AFTER the Colonel died, would he ever have the guts to be free.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm

It's obvious (for me) that he would have embraced the country music resurgence of the early 80's. George Jones (I am what i am) Merle Haggard (big city), Dolly Parton (9 to 5), etc all were getting a kind of push up. Even Tom jones joined in. Indeed from 73 on elvis himself was almost exclusively a country act, from his set list, to his attire to his records.

No led zeppelin band or things like that because it is so obvious that those things didn't appeal to him...

I think we would have had quite a few country albums from 77 to 85, with the same level of success as today, promised land or Presley boulevard.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

He probably would have continued doing what he had been and that's record country music and ballads.

We had a discussion here recently about how up on the current music scene Elvis was and i mentioned that it was evident in the songs he chose to cover.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Ronnie Tutt, just the other day during the concert in Milan, introducing The Imperials, said that he was convinced that Elvis would have done more and more Gospel, possibly going towards ministry later on.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

So maybe his death was a blessing...musically speaking.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 pm

You don't think Elvis sang Gospel well?
I am not religious, but I still enjoy listening to Gospel.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Perhaps Elvis would have done the wise thing Johnny Cash did: Team up with Rick Rubin and a band like Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm

I love His Hand In Mine and How Great Thou Art albums and I really love his performance on You'll Never Walk Alone. I basically do not like much after his 1970 Nashville session. I rather dislike the He Touched Me album as a whole. When Suspicious Minds came out on the radio so many people could not believe it was Elvis, I KNEW it was immediately. When Burning Love came out on the radio, my comment to my Dad was, "that is not Elvis, that is some poor imitation of Elvis" meaning like another Terry Stafford or someone like that . I sincerely did not think it was Elvis! Not the same Elvis that put out TTWII and Elvis Country!!

Elvis started his second downhill spiral after 1970, having lived through the first one (the movie years) I was in no mood to follow him down again. By Elvis Now I stopped buying his records. I would rather listen to Spinout than any full album he made after Elvis Country. There are a few songs here and there I like since 1970, but they are the rare exception. I have to admit, however, the alternate takes or unfinished masters that are available BEFORE that hack Felton Jarvis dicked with them, are MUCH better.

Had he lived and NOT gotten out of the stink of his own bathwater, and explored and opened up, fired every last person who has ever been around to milk him and "yes man" him to DEATH and shed his jumpsuits, and his horn, strings and 2-3 gospel groups, I am just has happy he stopped making music in 1977.

He needed to tour with Iggy Pop or the Ramones or something to shake it up. The world does not need another lounge singer. I mean the guy became another Wayne Newton or Neil Diamond!!! I like country music from the Nashville golden years, late 1950s to mid 1960s, but the contemporary country music that seeped in around the 70s and is pervasive today turns my stomach. Now I am all for the alternative country music that is out now, it is far more true to real country music than the popular "wearing a cowboy hat and singing and talking in a fake drawl" bullcrap that is on the radio. And if Elvis had resorted to that crap, it would be ANOTHER tradegy, as far as I am concerned.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 pm

More country weepers for sure. Those thinking he would have returned to rock are dreaming, and forget disco. I once asked Marty Lacker this very question. He said Elvis listend to country radio mostly and was not hip to the new rock sounds much at all. I just wished the jumpsuited tours would have stopped.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 pm

The quote button's and the edit button's placement should be switched!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 pm

javilu wrote:Perhaps Elvis would have done the wise thing Johnny Cash did: Team up with Rick Rubin and a band like Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

That would have been fantastic. But his fate was sealed. He was not a very strong person. He was needy and co-dependent. He did not have the character to tell the Colonel or RCA, hey my records make up HALF of your total sales. I will record what I want, when I want and HOW I want, and with whom I want, and If I want Lieber and Stoller to help produce and arrange for me I WILL. And If I want Chips to produce for me I WILL. But no, he was just a naive, insecure, country bumpkin, little boy all his life.

And I am a FAN, I am just speaking what I consider the ugly truth.

Everyone likes to play "what if" games. And they look to blame almost anyone or anything other than Elvis himself for his life, and our disappointments thereof. One one hand, he does not owe anyone anything, and on the other hand, there is NO ONE to blame but himself .

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:27 pm

I think one of the best aspects of Elvis is his versatility as a singer. He was no one-trick-pony, and could and did do several different styles and he did them all well.
That is his genius.
If you don't get that then you haven't understood anything about the true genius of the man, imho.

Also, we all evolve as people, and a good performer will evolve as a performer. Elvis could and should have evolved, but for a number of reasons was getting stuck in a rut, with some moments of brilliance. It is very sad, still.
Personally I will always be thankful for the huge collection of performances that we can still enjoy, and won't dwell on what might have been, as it is pointless.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Elvis without doubt would have have continued down the country and power ballad route, love or loathe it Elvis had moved from rock n roll a long time prior to 1977! To be honest if Elvis had cleaned up his act his voice would have been suited to ballads with the occasional rocker thrown in :D

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Elvis would have continued fading away'

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

My opinion to this question would be this -

Elvis would have been still singing - ballads and such but I think he would have been agood record producer - producing other peoples hits as wellas his own - He had a good sense of how a song should sound -
He picked his songs during his career from various demos he had heard and recorded them his way -
And he would have been been picking and singing other song writers songs had he lived -
He'd sing more power ballads and some rockn songs he'd done during his career - :
:rocks

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Oh I appreciate his versatility, I do not expect only rock music from him. His ballads from the 60s are great. And the country-soul from 69 was great. And the country from 1970 was great. But man, that schlock from the 70s, not so great. As I said, he became a Wayne Newton......no thank you.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm

skatterbrane wrote:So maybe his death was a blessing...musically speaking.

Sadly, yes.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 am

Matt Ashton wrote:Elvis without doubt would have have continued down the country and power ballad route, love or loathe it Elvis had moved from rock n roll a long time prior to 1977! To be honest if Elvis had cleaned up his act his voice would have been suited to ballads with the occasional rocker thrown in :D

I agree.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 am

It has been mentioned how he would have just faded away. I've wondered about that. There are several entertainers who haven't exactly remained relevant with the young crowd, but have come to that legendary status, like George Jones, Dolly Parton, and Paul McCartney. I wonder if Elvis would have at least been that relevant, or if he would have completely fade by the 2000s? I wonder if so many would have spoken of his influence over the years as many have since his death?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 am

JaneTLC wrote:Ronnie Tutt... said that he was convinced that Elvis... possibly going towards ministry later on.

I'm glad Ronnie was/is convinced of that, but I'm not.

Elvis wasn't living his life in a way that would even hint that he would be going towards ministry later on.
It sounds like Ronnie and a few others in the "Elvis world" often say what they think the fans want to hear.

"Singing gospel songs" and "going towards ministry" can be two entirely different things.
Last edited by Blue River on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:02 am

Blue River wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:Ronnie Tutt... said that he was convinced that Elvis... possibly going towards ministry later on.

Elvis wasn't living his life in a way that would even hint that he would be going towards ministry later on.
It sounds like Ronnie and a few others in the "Elvis world" often say what they think the fans want to hear.

Ronnie's memory is questionable at best... this is the same guy that said they sped up the MSG recording...

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Ronnie's memory is questionable at best... this is the same guy that said they sped up the MSG recording...

elvis - fan -
It was not Ronnie Tutt who sped up the MSG Recording on Lp In '72 - It was RCA Records recording plant who sped up the recording . They took Colonel Tom Parkers Instructions - Colonel Parker asked RCA to speed up the recordings just to get the record sales up for the concert . This info I got from several fans / experts- during my youthful years as a loyal fan
- ::rocks :smt007 :smt007 ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 am

::rocks Realistically, more gospel, ballads and country as stated. I think if he would've been tuned into Dylan's gospel material from around the time, and we could've gotten some fine renditions of "Precious Angel," "I Believe in You," "When He Returns," "Every Grain of Sand," etc. In the 1980s' he would've attempted some of the major over the top ballads of the day like "Up Where We Belong," "At This Moment," "How Do You Keep the Music Playing," etc. I think two songs he could've done well with were Elvis Costello's "Alison" and The Commodores' "Sail On."

I always wish, providing he lived, that Springsteen had been successful in his attempt to get Elvis to record "Fire," and maybe lead to a collaboration of sorts. For those who are well versed as Boss fans, he cut a lot of great retro sounding tracks in 1977-79 that, had Elvis wanted to get back to his roots while retaining a modern edge,would've been perfect for him. Imagine an album like this, produced by Steven Van Zandt and backed the E Street Band, coming out circa 1980:

From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)
Cindy
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
This Little Girl
(a hit for Gary U.S. Bonds in 1981)
Fire
Rendezvous
The Brokenhearted
Jole Blon
(another hit for Bonds)
The Way
Gotta Get that Feeling

If only, an album of Elvis singing smart, well written pop songs with a modern flare, great production and perhaps in fine voice and shape. It's nice to dream.
Last edited by U.S. Male1990 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.