Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD's for 2013...

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am

Greg1995 wrote:It seems a little bit strange that the will include a separate DVD disc just for couple of minutes long (probably) footage. They should have included some unreleased scenes or bloopers from the movie.

Yes and that's the thing that rubs me the wrong way. I just viewed a DVD movie, and the bonus features included bloopers, deleted scenes, screen tests and interviews with the actors. All on a single disc DVD for like 14.99. So now FTD is masking a few seconds of dvd footage around a special book and CD? To me, it is a lure to get 'collectors' to part with big money for basically a book and a few extras. Anyting relating to a movie should be included on an updated DVD release of that movie, in this case Follow That Dream by the studio for the normal price of a DVD. I have to call it as I see it. Only in the Elvis world would this 'common' stuff excite people and cost a fortune.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 am

we dont even know how long the footage is?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:55 am

Rob wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:One of these days Ernst will awaken for his long winter's nap.

From.

I've always been a lousy typist.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 am

Johnny2523 wrote:we dont even know how long the footage is?

It doesnt matter if its 30 minutes or a 30 seconds. This is the kind of stuff that should be bonus features on a regular or even a deluxe DVD release just like other movies have. Do what Disney does. They do movies right. To be made to buy a book for it (which I dont want) and outtakes CD (how much is enough already) is not right IMO.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 am

People
Stop bitching about the book releases. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it.

What I am upset about is that all these outtakes are released ans spread over so many projects. Istill believe that there should be complete sessions releases for all the collectors who want it.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 am

FTD's for 2013... smt179 Maybe Monday, February 4th... :smt015

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 am

Blue River wrote:FTD's for 2013... smt179 Maybe Monday, February 4th... :smt015

Sooner or later you will be correct my friend :wink: I hope. :)

rlj

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Briljant tactic by Ernst: he leaves us all craving for new FTD's so that we all realize how great it is that there is a collector's label for us, Elvis fans. Bring it on Ernst! :-)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 am

What I'm "craving" is info. It's unlikely that I'll buy all the releases that are announced, but I'd like to know what my choices are. No need for Ernst to play it this close to the vest unless he is going to surprise us with something totally unexpected. Which I doubt.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 am

JerryNodak wrote:What I'm "craving" is info. It's unlikely that I'll buy all the releases that are announced, but I'd like to know what my choices are. No need for Ernst to play it this close to the vest unless he is going to surprise us with something totally unexpected. Which I doubt.

Maybe he found "Feelings" as a surprise for the Moody Blue album.

Cool.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 am

feelings was erased.just a rehearsal anyway no takes.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 am

I'm sooo disappointed! Oh well, off to listen to my Back in Memphis & 3000 Paradise Rd. FTDs!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 am

ritchie valens wrote:feelings was erased.just a rehearsal anyway no takes.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 am

Does anyone really want to hear Elvis sing "Feelings". It's a yucky song and I could care less. Just my humble opinion.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 am

It would be nice since we don't have that song. However, I will not loose any sleep if that recording by Elvis never surfaces. I don't sit around worrying about that song.

rlj

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 am

steve in SC wrote:Does anyone really want to hear Elvis sing "Feelings". It's a yucky song and I could care less. Just my humble opinion.

Some might even call it a "lost gem."

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 am

steve in SC wrote:Does anyone really want to hear Elvis sing "Feelings". It's a yucky song and I could care less. Just my humble opinion.

Have you ever heard the song by anyone other than the original single?

Don't judge the song by any given artists' rendition.

I never liked the song til I heard Sheena Easton sing the hell out of it.

Elvis may have been able to work his magic on the tune. I would love to hear anything unreleased at this point.

I don't have to like it. You don't have to like it.

But wouldn't it be just kinda cool to at least get to hear what Elvis did with it?
Last edited by ekenee on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Some might even call it a "lost gem."

I'd stick to "We Had It All" with that... :D

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Feelings only gets the schtick in here that it does because it became a standard for lounge singers everywhere and got over-exposed as many songs do. It's been called one of the worst songs ever, but considering how much rubbish Elvis recorded during the soundtrack years, we know that is far from the case. And, like it or loathe it, it would have fitted rather well on the EP Boulevard album, and I'd prefer to hear Elvis attempt it instead of Never Again, for example. Do I like "Feelings?" Frankly, no. But like many other "joke-of-the-week" songs bandied about on here, it doesn't deserve the knocks it gets either. It was well-liked enough in the 1970s, and thought highly enough of, to be sung by Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Glen Campbell - three names I'm not going to argue with when it comes to decisions as to whether a song was worthy or not. Fitzgerald and Simone both performed it live, but they were only issued in recent years, suggesting that they were not attempting to "cash in" on the song's popularity. Not that Simone's 11 minute rendition was ever going to be a hit single. Sadly Ella Fitzgerald's lovely version in a duet with guitarist Joe Pass is no longer on youtube, but anyone who has heard that rendition will know it's not just the song, it's what you make of it.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:41 pm

don´t expect too much creativity of elvis´ version though. we all know how many songs he performed exactly the way he heard it on the demo recording.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

ekenee wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:What I'm "craving" is info. It's unlikely that I'll buy all the releases that are announced, but I'd like to know what my choices are. No need for Ernst to play it this close to the vest unless he is going to surprise us with something totally unexpected. Which I doubt.

Maybe he found "Feelings" as a surprise for the Moody Blue album.

Cool.

Followed by an impromptu rehearsal version of "The Morning After" & "Torn Between Two Lovers". Woooohoooo ! :smt026 :smt026

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Jimmy Ellis' version of "Feelings":
phpBB [video]

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 am

if Ernst announced that they now have a tape of elvis rehearsing (including outakes and a finished master) FEELINGS from the jungle room sessions, it amazes me how some people(s) views would change...

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks, Jimmy Cool. That wasn't so bad. I guess distance from the hit version by Morris Albert (which was played to death on the radio) makes it seem less horrible.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:Thanks, Jimmy Cool. That wasn't so bad. I guess distance from the hit version by Morris Albert (which was played to death on the radio) makes it seem less horrible.

I think this is half the point. I remember reading some time ago that the ten overplayed songs include My Way, Feelings, Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree and You've Got A Friend. All of which have their merits as songs, but familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. OK, you have to hunt around for a decent Tie A Yellow Ribbon, but Harry Connick delivered one on his lovely album "30" from about decade ago. Stripped of the cheesy words, he turns it in a virtuoso Thelonious Monk-style jazz piano piece. Sadly Connick has made some very dull albums over the last eight or nine years, which is such a shame as his arrangements on albums such as Come By Me, Songs I Head and Blue Light Red Light were wacky, imaginative and great fun. His new album is released on Monday - fingers crossed it reverts back to the style he does best.

phpBB [video]