Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Follow That Dream movie - Original theatrical trailer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:22 am

Just watched this movie again this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it again!

My older brother (age 62) wanted to watch it with me after I had e-mailed him some YouTube clips of Arthur O'Connell's funny/ironic comments about the "government". He fully enjoyed it and thought the writers did a great job with the humor, and he thought Elvis delivered his lines with the timing and pacing of a "real" comic actor.

I couldn't believe that he had never taken the time to watch the movie as many times as it has been on television over the past 40+ years or so!
(Released in theaters over 50 yrs. ago)
When I asked him about it he replied, "Well, I saw Kissin' Cousins several years ago on tv and maybe a few others, so I just figured Follow That Dream wasn't any better than Kissin' Cousins so I just never bothered to watch it."

Anyway, to the point of this thread - We first played the original theatrical trailer. I saw something that I hadn't noticed before (and I apologize if this has already been discussed here before, but I couldn't find anything about it in the search system).

During the trailer there was nothing of "What A Wonderful Life" to be heard, yet portions of the other four songs were included with two of them inserted more than once.
The following reading parts are flashed on the screen during the trailer -

HEAR ELVIS SING
A SCREENFUL OF
HAPPY SONG HITS!

"FOLLOW THAT DREAM"
"SOUND ADVICE"
"SHOW ME A GIRL"
"ANGEL"

Notice anything strange there?

Of course... "I'm Not The Marrying Kind" is wrongly titled, but those are the first four words of the song.
So, what was the reason for this?
1. Maybe that was the working title given to the writers
(David/Edwards) and they hadn't yet completed the song
and had not come up with their own official title?

2. And as for "What A Wonderful Life"... maybe it had not yet been
submitted so therefore no mention of it in the original trailer?

Thoughts or ideas, anyone?

Re: Follow That Dream movie - Original theatrical trailer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:52 am

Blue River wrote:Just watched this movie again this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it again!

My older brother (age 62) wanted to watch it with me after I had e-mailed him some YouTube clips of Arthur O'Connell's funny/ironic comments about the "government". He fully enjoyed it and thought the writers did a great job with the humor, and he thought Elvis delivered his lines with the timing and pacing of a "real" comic actor.

I couldn't believe that he had never taken the time to watch the movie as many times as it has been on television over the past 40+ years or so!
(Released in theaters over 50 yrs. ago)
When I asked him about it he replied, "Well, I saw Kissin' Cousins several years ago on tv and maybe a few others, so I just figured Follow That Dream wasn't any better than Kissin' Cousins so I just never bothered to watch it."

Anyway, to the point of this thread - We first played the original theatrical trailer. I saw something that I hadn't noticed before (and I apologize if this has already been discussed here before, but I couldn't find anything about it in the search system).

During the trailer there was nothing of "What A Wonderful Life" to be heard, yet portions of the other four songs were included with two of them inserted more than once.
The following reading parts are flashed on the screen during the trailer -

HEAR ELVIS SING
A SCREENFUL OF
HAPPY SONG HITS!

"FOLLOW THAT DREAM"
"SOUND ADVICE"
"SHOW ME A GIRL"
"ANGEL"

Notice anything strange there?

Of course... "I'm Not The Marrying Kind" is wrongly titled, but those are the first four words of the song.
So, what was the reason for this?
1. Maybe that was the working title given to the writers
(David/Edwards) and they hadn't yet completed the song
and had not come up with their own official title?

2. And as for "What A Wonderful Life"... maybe it had not yet been
submitted so therefore no mention of it in the original trailer?

Thoughts or ideas, anyone?

This movie is in my top 5 Elvis favorites.

The song title thing was probably a working title and it hadn't been finalized at the time or the film company just did'n't know the title.

Along the same lines, remember in Easy come easy go, Elvis announces he is going to sing "Stop, you're wrong again", and then procedes to sing, "you gotta stop".

Another example is the working title for, "We're gonna move" was "There's a leak in this old building".

Hawaiian Sweetheat= Kuuipo
Hawaii USA= Paradise Hawaiian style
And that Spinout song recorded by Bill Haley or Rick Nelson I believe had an alternate title too. Can't recall, wasn't it Stop look and listen???

And there are probably a few others if you check out titles written on acetates are often working early titles that changed by the time it was released.

Back to the movie, Elvis was very good. Especially the court room scene.
The movie had such a feel good ending, where good triumphed over bad.
The plot involving childrens frivelously being taken away by Child services is NOT dated and happens often to this day, in which
the parents sometimes must fight rumors and lies because of inlaw issues and problems involving ex'es. So the good parent must overcome
the obsticles that Elvis' dad went thru in the movie.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 am

ekenee wrote: The movie had such a feel good ending...

Yes... in more ways than one! Anne Helm looked great at the end of the movie during the "Angel" segment!
Take a look at Anne Helm's shoulder strap starting at the 8:58 mark and keep watching until you get to the 9:35 mark!
The change is so subtle I wonder how many people have noticed this before? :wink:
phpBB [video]

After the movie my brother was curious about her actual age at the time of filming. She was 22 convincingly playing a 19-year old.
She turned 23 on September 12, 1961. She's now 74.

After her acting career ended in 1986, she published children's books The Sunshine Angel Book for Angel Workers of All Ages (1992)
and The Little Angel Workbook for Children of all Ages (1993) as Annie Helm.
Take a look... Wikipedia >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Helm

I believe that's Joanna Moore with Elvis at the 0:52 mark (not Anne Helm) -
phpBB [video]

2012 -
phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am

Thank you very much for this wonderful moments from a wonderful movie. FTD was the best comedy film Elvis ever!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Thank you very much for this wonderful moments from a wonderful movie.

You're welcome!
I think I'll take a vacation down there this summer. I've been thinking about doing it for several years now.

Yankeetown location (1) >> http://www.weather.com/weather/map/inte ... L0530:1:US