Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis doing 2 shows a day on tour was crazy.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:45 pm

On the contrary - two one hour shows means 20 minutes of band intros in each one = 40 minutes. One two hour show and you only get one band intro of 20 minutes!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:07 pm

While I'm no fan of the extended band intros, let's keep perspective here. The average length they ran was about 12 minutes or so unless Elvis was in chatterbox mode.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Elvis had it it pretty easy compared to most. Sure, his time on stage could be pretty intense. However, the intensity of the show was driven by Elvis himself. How many of us can control our own job performance and still have a job? I sure as hell can't. When Elvis wasn't on stage, he didn't overexert himself. What about you? When you are off work are you done for the day? How many of us work 10-12 hours a day and still have plenty to do when you get home? I get up every day at 4;30 AM. I work out several days a week and usually run a couple of miles. I get to work about 6:45 and work normally until about 5:00 in the evening. I have plenty to do when I get home, especially 8 months out of the year when the grass cutting takes place (I have a lot to cut and maintain). There is always things to do until I get to rest my weary head again. I get about 6 hours sleep each night. How many of you have kids to deal with and run them all over town to games and various events? What did Elvis do each day after performing a show -- or two? He was paid much better than we are and worked much less. Elvis deserved what he was paid and more so. He was a great entertainer and I am grateful for the music he left for us to enjoy.

But he sure as hell didn't work any harder on a daily basis that any of us do, so don't kid yourselves.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:16 pm

True enough Rob. But then again Elvis had the added burden of having to be E-L-V-I-S dang near 24/7. Given that he's been in that grave behind Graceland for the past 35 years that burden was ultimately too much for him to cope with.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Rob wrote:Elvis had it it pretty easy compared to most. Sure, his time on stage could be pretty intense. However, the intensity of the show was driven by Elvis himself. How many of us can control our own job performance and still have a job? I sure as hell can't. When Elvis wasn't on stage, he didn't overexert himself. What about you? When you are off work are you done for the day? How many of us work 10-12 hours a day and still have plenty to do when you get home? I get up every day at 4;30 AM. I work out several days a week and usually run a couple of miles. I get to work about 6:45 and work normally until about 5:00 in the evening. I have plenty to do when I get home, especially 8 months out of the year when the grass cutting takes place (I have a lot to cut and maintain). There is always things to do until I get to rest my weary head again. I get about 6 hours sleep each night. How many of you have kids to deal with and run them all over town to games and various events? What did Elvis do each day after performing a show -- or two? He was paid much better than we are and worked much less. Elvis deserved what he was paid and more so. He was a great entertainer and I am grateful for the music he left for us to enjoy.

But he sure as hell didn't work any harder on a daily basis that any of us do, so don't kid yourselves.

::rocks That lazy ass Elvis :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Pete Dube wrote:True enough Rob. But then again Elvis had the added burden of having to be E-L-V-I-S dang near 24/7. Given that he's been in that grave behind Graceland for the past 35 years that burden was ultimately too much for him to cope with.

I have to put up with the burden of being R-O-B every day, too.

And I'm getting damned tired of it.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Pete Dube wrote:True enough Rob. But then again Elvis had the added burden of having to be E-L-V-I-S dang near 24/7. Given that he's been in that grave behind Graceland for the past 35 years that burden was ultimately too much for him to cope with.

As much as I love Elvis, there are lines that have to be drawn! Was Elvis less of a man that Bruce Springsteen? The answer would be no, does Bruce Springsteen have to live with being Bruce Springsteen? The answer would be yes. The fame might not be on the same level but then again Elvis didn't have all the pressures that entertainers have today. Elvis toured a lot because he spent the money he earned (and there was a lot) quicker than he could keep hold of it for whatever reasons. It certainly didn't help that the Colonel was a money grabbing sod.

The reason Elvis went down hill was because of the drugs, not the touring schedule or intensity, his body and mind got screwed up. It's a shame but it's true.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Rob wrote:

I have to put up with the burden of being R-O-B every day, too.

And I'm getting damned tired of it.

Well, I hope to high Heaven you don't keel over on the throne with short-shorts around your ankles!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Matt Ashton wrote: Elvis didn't have all the pressures that entertainers have today.

How is it different today?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Everyone of us sometimes preffer to stay in bed instead of going to work. But, again, Elvis had a burden not working for himself but for at least other 20 people. No offense, but what Vernon did for 75.000 $ a year???? So Elvis had to work a lot even in the end to pay all these people (and this was the case for not going to a clinic to rehab)

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote: Elvis didn't have all the pressures that entertainers have today.

How is it different today?

Media scrutiny is far more intense these days, the paparazzi are on the doorstep 24-7, not the relaxed way people were back in the 70's! If Elvis had the same intensity back in the 1970's his drug problem would have been well and truly made public.

Today's stars are expected to make video's for their releases and look amazing, could Elvis had done this post 1973/74? Elvis was falling out of limo's. The less is more philosophy of the Colonel worked to their advantage in the 70's especially as Elvis could turn up slurring his words as in the Aloha announcement.

As has already been touched on, 1 hour shows would not cut the mustard, people expect more from their entertainers. Today's shows are an extravaganza, people will not pay to see artist stumble/mumble for 50 minutes to an hour! Fans now carry mobile phones that can video a performance, if your having a rant (Desert Storm) this stuff can go viral/Facebook/Twitter in a heartbeat, there is simply no room to fail in this modern era. The word of a review can be questioned to interpretation, video footage speaks for it's self.

Today's entertainers are expected to do T.V. interviews, Jay Leno/David Letterman and perform to back up there latest release (or at least have a video)

Record companies want their acts to be out there, today they just simply wouldn't turn up to Graceland hoping Elvis can be cajoled into cutting a few tracks! Even if Elvis decided to have his own studio, would he have had the commitment to produce the goods?

There's no doubting Elvis' talent, however in today's world he would have to seriously up his game to TTWII/Aloha standards every tour!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm

But Matt, you're taking the 76-77 Elvis - when he was at his worst- and applying him to today's standards. In doing so you're assuming that, had Elvis lived he would not have changed but would have been stuck in 76-77 mode. I think that if Elvis had lived he would've had to get himself back together at some point - otherwise he wouldn't live. Secondly, if he had lived and gotten himself together he would've likely changed with the times, including the length of the live shows. That's not to suggest he was ever going to do 3 hour concerts, but 3 hours is not the norm even today. A 90 minute to hour and 45 minute concert (without extended band intros) for a 50-something Elvis would've been a reasonable length, particularly since his songs aren't long and there aren't lengthy guitar solos to stretch the time.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:40 pm

The ’68 Comeback Special still stands as one of the most powerful performances in rock history. Elvis Presley one of the greatest artists to ever walk on stage. Elvis Presley a powerhouse of talent should not have performed in Las Vegas Showrooms but only performed in cities across the US and a worldwide tour imo.

With the success of '68 Special and the Memphis Recording Sessions behind him, Elvis doing one or two shows a day during '69 to '71 could have worked but after '71, I'd say no.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

What Matt is saying is that if Elvis were 38 today he would have found it more tough than being 38 in 1973 because of the added pressures of always looking at your best, videos for songs, paparazzi camping outside the door, candid snapshots floating around the internet etc.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:What Matt is saying is that if Elvis were 38 today he would have found it more tough than being 38 in 1973 because of the added pressures of always looking at your best, videos for songs, paparazzi camping outside the door, candid snapshots floating around the internet etc.

But Peter, Elvis wouldn't be 38 today if he had lived. He'd be pushin' 80 (78), so what's your and Matt's point?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:What Matt is saying is that if Elvis were 38 today he would have found it more tough than being 38 in 1973 because of the added pressures of always looking at your best, videos for songs, paparazzi camping outside the door, candid snapshots floating around the internet etc.

But Peter, Elvis wouldn't be 38 today if he had lived. He'd be pushin' 80 (78), so what's your and Matt's point?

I think what Peter is saying is that if Elvis were 78 in 1973, the paparazzi camping outside the door would be younger than they are today and so a 38 year old Elvis today would have found it more tough than the paparazzi of the old days would have found it, or given him credit for in 1973 aged 80 up to the present time. Depending on how you look at it!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

No, Matt's point was that Elvis had it easier in the 70s with regards to paparazzis, image, music videos, privacy (due to internet) than someone of the same age today. He is simply talking about today's stars over those in the 70s. It's nothign to do with age. Or, to put it another way, Elvis didn't have to deal with the same issues that people like Justin Bieber have today. Yes, he had to deal with photographers, but they didn't chase him down the street in a car and put his life in danger. Pictures of him looking sh*t on stage didn't make it round the world in 1976 because there was no internet. Clips of him mumbling his way through shows didn't emerge because there were no phones with cameras taht could be uploaded to youtube. The only people who saw those shows were the ones that went there. Remember Amy Winehouse's shambolic last appearance - it was on the web within minutes. Elvis didn't have that kind of thing to deal with.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Rob wrote:Elvis had it it pretty easy compared to most. Sure, his time on stage could be pretty intense. However, the intensity of the show was driven by Elvis himself. How many of us can control our own job performance and still have a job? I sure as hell can't. When Elvis wasn't on stage, he didn't overexert himself. What about you? When you are off work are you done for the day? How many of us work 10-12 hours a day and still have plenty to do when you get home? I get up every day at 4;30 AM. I work out several days a week and usually run a couple of miles. I get to work about 6:45 and work normally until about 5:00 in the evening. I have plenty to do when I get home, especially 8 months out of the year when the grass cutting takes place (I have a lot to cut and maintain). There is always things to do until I get to rest my weary head again. I get about 6 hours sleep each night. How many of you have kids to deal with and run them all over town to games and various events? What did Elvis do each day after performing a show -- or two? He was paid much better than we are and worked much less. Elvis deserved what he was paid and more so. He was a great entertainer and I am grateful for the music he left for us to enjoy.

spot on Rob

....and for any 'celeb' in the limelight, its self-inflicted pressure. They want to be famous....entertain, stand up in front of audiences
and be the centre of attention...its an ego boost.

Also stars of today are much more in control of their own destiny, owning their own Production companies, putting up their own cash to get a film off the ground etc, etc..

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Most of elvis concerts where 40-60 minutes? no.. Most shows where around 60 minutes up to 70 or 80 minutes.. the shortest kind of shows he did for 40 minutes where the september-november 1970 performances.
Elvis did gave a 2 hour show once in awhile when he was up for it.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 pm

It wasn't just the touring, the pressures of being ELVIS would be enough to frazzle anybody's brain cells, when you're the most famous person on the planet for most of your adult life, the stress levels can't have been easy.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Well said Robert! I think his lack of desire or any sort of aspirations outside of work led him more and more toward drugs. From what I read, he had no constructive extracurricular activities aside from women, shooting guns and goofing off with his yes-men. His shows were short... but his touring schedules were a mess... once Elvis started flying again, the Colonel had him flying all over the place. Travelling and staying in hotels night after night can be a drain.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

elvis-fan wrote: Well said Robert! I think his lack of desire or any sort of aspirations outside of work led him more and more toward drugs. From what I read, he had no constructive extracurricular activities aside from women, shooting guns and goofing off with his yes-men. His shows were short... but his touring schedules were a mess... once Elvis started flying again, the Colonel had him flying all over the place. Travelling and staying in hotels night after night can be a drain.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I'd say Elvis did have the desire and constructive extracurricular activities outside of work, one being Karate. Maybe lack of self-confidence at least in certain areas. Elvis trusted those he felt knew more than he did about certain things...to take care of him. That is what he paid them to do. He trusted some of the wrong people. The Colonel was one of them.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Some very good points are being made in this thread.

I would agree that Elvis didn't have it rough compared to most people and his problems would seem minor to most.

Pete made a good point about Bruce Springsteen dragging songs out and the solo's etc. to increase the length of his concerts.

If Elvis did three hour shows he would have performed around 64 songs.

The reason Elvis didn't do shows that long is because performers weren't doing that while he was alive.

I would guess that if he lived in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s that he would have done 2 and 3 hour shows on a more regular basis because it became more of the standard.

Doing two shows a day when demand for tickets was so great is just a normal part of the concert business.

Elvis didn't care if he did two shows a day because that's how he made his money and other singers did that as well.

The End.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis did gave a 2 hour show once in awhile when he was up for it.

Really? When?

The longest one's I have heard are around 90 minutes and both hail from Vegas and Tahoe in 1976 with lots of additional help from band members singing songs and playing extra solos etc.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Joe Car wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Every concert I went to in the early seventies, were 45-60 minutes long. Let's give Elvis some due here, two a days especially for the frenetic 69-70 shows were brutal and took a toll.

He was 34 and at the peak of health. No doubt 2 hours on stage is much worse than being down a mine for 10 hours when you're 50!

We're not talking about different jobs, just specifically performing on stage.I would think a 2 hour show would be easier to perform then two-one hour shows.
Yes. In Vegas doing a show and taking elevator to your room would be easier than arena to limo ride to hotel and back (arena) play show again to board plane etc..