Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Trying To Get To You

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 pm

"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

There is 1974 version from the "Live On Stage In Memphis" that has a truly shocking audience overdub

Does anybody have any info from when Elvis had it on his set list and why he dropped it and then reintroduced it?

Re: Trying To Get To You

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Although he performed it a time or two previously, it became a regular addition to the setlist during his January / February '74 Vegas stint. It remained a regular for most of the year and a song that he would often come back to until he died. I do especially like the Memphis '74 version, but I feel it was never better than it was on June 27, 1968.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

There is 1974 version from the "Live On Stage In Memphis" that has a truly shocking audience overdub

Does anybody have any info from when Elvis had it on his set list and why he dropped it and then reintroduced it?

The "Live on stage in Memphis" version can be best appreciated on the bootleg CD "Fifth time around". The FTD version was ruined with fake audience overdubs as you pointed out, plus overdone reverb on Elvis' voice.
Last edited by Tony.. on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Everyone, meet Tony.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Rob, is the 68 version of this song the one that can be found on the "A Touch of Platinum Vol 2"?

I have to agree that the FTD version with the overdubs does seem to be unnecessary because the original is a good without it.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Rob wrote:Image

Everyone, meet Tony.

:D

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote:"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

The "Live on stage in Memphis" version can be best appreciated on the bootleg CD "Fifth time around". The FTD version was ruined with fake audience overdubs as you pointed out, plus overdone reverb on Elvis' voice.

Not sure there are any fake audience overdubs on the Live On Stage in Memphis FTD.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:43 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

Not sure there are any fake audience overdubs on the Live On Stage in Memphis FTD.

The fake audience overdubs were only on the original release from 1974 (and the first CD releases).

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 pm

The fake audience reaction on the 1974 original is annoying. However, I enjoy the FTD release of Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis.
As for Trying to Get to You, Elvis really seemed to enjoy this and seems to treat it with the respect it deserves. Even the 1977 version of EIC is done well, relatively speaking.

rlj

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Always liked the EIC version, how he says "his voice was way higher in those days" .... u also get a couple of versions on 'The Final Curtain' set too .....

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I adore Scotty Moore's work on the original recording.

The versions from 1974 were usually a show highlight, but I find the '77 attempts hard to enjoy. Such a change in three years.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Here's a version from August 1971 that was taken from the SR Records CD Trying To Get To Memphis

phpBB [video]

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Here's a version from August 1971 that was taken from the SR Records CD Trying To Get To Memphis

phpBB [video]

Nice version thanks for posting, pity its an audience recording, does anybody have this on a soundboard?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

His 1974 performance of "Trying To Get To You" is full of energy and it is quite obvious, that Elvis enjoys the song. In 1977 he still seems to care for his SUN classic, but at times he sounded nasal and powerless like an old man. :(

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Joern wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

The fake audience overdubs were only on the original release from 1974 (and the first CD releases).

Yep. I know that.

I was referring to the FTD that the poster implied had fake audience overdubs on.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Here's a version from August 1971 that was taken from the SR Records CD Trying To Get To Memphis

phpBB [video]

What the hell is yer man saying at the beginning of that clip?

Some Guy - "Can't hear you when your xxx xxx xxx"
Elvis - "Oh come on man, your ears are too old.."

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I was referring to the FTD that the poster implied had fake audience overdubs on.

He's a negative little feller, but we are working with him.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I was referring to the FTD that the poster implied had fake audience overdubs on.

Pretty sure my original post didn't mention FTD?? I took it from YOUR post...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

He wasn't referring to you.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:Pretty sure my original post didn't mention FTD??

Tony.. wrote:The "Live on stage in Memphis" version can be best appreciated on the bootleg CD "Fifth time around". The FTD version was ruined with fake audience overdubs as you pointed out, plus overdone reverb on Elvis' voice.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Elvis likely did "Tryin' to Get to You" in concert in 1955-1956, while his greatest known live recordings were taped for the NBC-TV small combo jam segments on June 27, 1968.

When he returned to regular stage concerts in 1969 it did not appear. One-offs are known from 1970 (November 16) and 1971 (August 11 DS), then nothing until it became a set regular starting January 28, 1974. After his summer tour that year he must have gotten bored with it, as it only made a few showings until his December 1975 booking at the Hilton. Then it seemed to fall into favor again until the end of the May 1976 Sahara Tahoe visit.

From June 1976 to the end it popped up at about twenty more shows, the last one captured by the CBS-TV cameras on June 21, 1977.

Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

phpBB [video]

The Eagles, "Tryin' to Get to You" (Mercury 70391, May 30, 1954)

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 pm

I love that song. The original is best, but the 68 comeback is a VERY close second. And Scotty's guitar sounds like an organ at times, amazing.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I love that song. The original is best, but the 68 comeback is a VERY close second. And Scotty's guitar sounds like an organ at times, amazing.

You like the original "Tryin' to Get to You" best? Interesting.

My top three:
Elvis live RCA recording - June 1968
Elvis studio Sun recording - July 1955
Eagles studio original - May 1954

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

phpBB [video]

My question is: Who's the lead singer on that track? Glen Frey or Don Henley? :wink:

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

phpBB [video]

My question is: Who's the lead singer on that track? Glen Frey or Don Henley? :wink:

The crazy thing about Washington D.C.'s Eagles is how they cut a few singles for Mercury in the mid-fifties and then disappeared. The lead singer is terrific, and Elvis' vocal on the Sun cut follows that vocal quite a bit.

680627_Tryin to Get to You_Presley.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.