FTD Girl Happy

Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: FTD Girl Happy

Postby When In Rome » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:OK a couple questions...
1) How is this taking time away from other essential products? Is there some urgency to issuing new FTD's?
2) How is upgrading and/or correcting an FTD a bad thing for fans? People here whine all the time about mistakes being made on FTD releases...

1) It is not. There is not, save that many FTD fans "have turned the sharp corner of 50."
2) No, it is not. Ernst has stated on many occasions he tries to get newly-acquired tapes out as soon as possible.

In the case of the 2009 Girl Happy upgrade, the master reels were an unexpected but cool discovery.

So, what your basically saying in a nutshell is that it was of more urgency to get these newly discovered tapes out
via an upgrade than say, get "From Elvis in Memphis" out on FTD?

I guess I have a bit more grasp on what I consider essential because the Girl Happy could have waited. Yes indeed.

We are still waiting on From Elvis in Memphis. Get my drift.

Considering these same masters were then utilised for a 2010 budget release of 'Girl Happy' it does seem to make little sense of why this was re-pressed in such a hurry. I wonder if the fact that it had been released with the wrong 'You'll Be Gone' take had anything to do with it? Henceforth it now being presented in the FTD catalogue as it should have been presented in the first place.
When In Rome

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc: On the songs I mentioned, Elvis' voice sounds the same as it does on the speeded up Girl Happy. Many years ago, with a variable speed turntable, we played these songs at about 30 RPM and his voice sounded very natural, like it does on the Girl Happy outtakes. I know there's no paperwork saying Wolf Call or Do The Clam are speeded up, but listen to that Girl Happy voice. I think it's obvious.

I don't hear it. But, if you must, play the songs in question on a standard-tuned guitar, and note the keys are OK.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am

When In Rome wrote:Considering these same masters were then utilised for a 2010 budget release of 'Girl Happy' it does seem to make little sense of why this was re-pressed in such a hurry. I wonder if the fact that it had been released with the wrong 'You'll Be Gone' take had anything to do with it? Henceforth it now being presented in the FTD catalogue as it should have been presented in the first place.

The 2003 edition used the best available tape for tracks 1-11. The alternate was an oversight, although few noticed at the time. No doubt the found tapes and the oversight were impetus enough for Ernst and his team in 2009.

Tapes for other sessions required much more work before an FTD release (e.g. American Sound 1969), and the notion that a snap of the fingers would have provided as swift a product as the 2009 Girl Happy FTD is both foolish and naïve, if you get my drift. ;-)
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby stevelecher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 am

With FTD being a collector's label, I think most of us noticed the You'll Be Gone switch. I never thought it required a reissue though.
stevelecher

Postby Johnny2523 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 am

here we are discussing FTD's girl happy cd, yet waiting for their announcements :(
Johnny2523

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 am

Johnny2523 wrote:...waiting for their announcements :(

Please let "Elvis' 40 Greatest" be one of them. Image
'Elvis Presley? He's God' - Madonna Ciccone

elvisalisellers
G.O.A.T.

elvisalisellers

Postby Johnny2523 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

I thought a FTD release of college park was coming? in a 2cd DIGIPACK containing both of the good shows elvis gave those days :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Johnny2523

Postby Matthew » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 am

If any FTD needed reworking it was/is Today. But I guess Girl Happy is a critical piece of the puzzle....
Matthew

Postby ekenee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
When In Rome wrote:Considering these same masters were then utilised for a 2010 budget release of 'Girl Happy' it does seem to make little sense of why this was re-pressed in such a hurry. I wonder if the fact that it had been released with the wrong 'You'll Be Gone' take had anything to do with it? Henceforth it now being presented in the FTD catalogue as it should have been presented in the first place.

The 2003 edition used the best available tape for tracks 1-11. The alternate was an oversight, although few noticed at the time. No doubt the found tapes and the oversight were impetus enough for Ernst and his team in 2009.

Tapes for other sessions required much more work before an FTD release (e.g. American Sound 1969), and the notion that a snap of the fingers would have provided as swift a product as the 2009 Girl Happy FTD is both foolish and naïve, if you get my drift. ;-)

yes, I get your drift. Obviously the "From Elvis in memphis" would require more work, but that doesn't change the fact that
one, that album is of more urgency than the Girl Happy re-issue. FACT.
And two... The Girl Happy re-issue couldv'e waited. OH YEAH, thats a fact too.
There is no way you can win this debate when we are talking about work on two diverse albums such as
From Elvis in Memphis vs Girl Happy.

The priority is so plain to me, that I can't see why you wouldn't agree with me other than you love to
disagree with me no matter if I told you the sky is blue and the sun is sorta hot, you would find a way to tell me I was wrong.
Last edited by ekenee on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekenee
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Postby Blue River » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:47 am

phpBB [video]

~~Blue River~~
Keeping it real.
Blue River
Banned
Banned

Postby skatterbrane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:57 am

Ah MUCH better!
skatterbrane

Topic author

Postby stevelecher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 am

Ekenee: No offense, but if you tell us the sun is cold many of us will disagree.
stevelecher

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:59 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

Let it go. ;-)
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 am

ekenee wrote:... if I told you the sky is blue and the sun is cold, you would find a way to tell me I was wrong.

:D
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby ekenee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 am

stevelecher wrote:Ekenee: No offense, but if you tell us the sun is cold many of us will disagree.

I sure messed that one up. Correction coming.
ekenee

Postby When In Rome » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well, of course I realise they don't just chuck these things together (can of worms, open) and I wasn't really suggesting the slot should've been filled with something new, that wasn't strictly my point. I would've thought the budget release must've already been on the cards and I was suggesting that since they'd made a bit of a gaff with the first press (tinny reverb, wrong take) was this why they were in such a hurry to phase it out for the superior masters. Santa Lucia on 'The Complete Masters sounds much better than on the FTD 'Viva Las Vegas' but that hasn't been re-pressed (as far as I know!!)... Anyway, in all honesty I'm for one glad they re-pressed it, the first press bugged me the first time I listened to it with the added tinny reverb..
When In Rome

Postby terbon4 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 pm

may be a silly question--but how does one distinguish between the original release and the re-release? I've looked at GH on a couple of different websites (including shopelvis) but none state whether it's original or re-release.

T
terbon4

Postby When In Rome » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm

terbon4 wrote:may be a silly question--but how does one distinguish between the original release and the re-release? I've looked at GH on a couple of different websites (including shopelvis) but none state whether it's original or re-release.

T

I should think all the old pressings would be sold out by now. It's really the disc itself that would be the biggest give-away, as the RCA Victor logo is larger. Check out the Elvis On CD website, there's images there to see the differences, but if you're after buying it from somewhere ask the vendor first, they should be able to tell you which one they have. I know the Elvis Shop London states its the new version with remastered audio.
When In Rome

Postby skatterbrane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I am keeping my original, it is going to be a much in demand rare collector's item in 100 years or so.
skatterbrane

Topic author

Postby RonBaker2003 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks, When in Rome. I now know I have the first version. Don't know if that makes it a rarity or not.
RonBaker2003

Postby Tony.. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

When In Rome wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
1) How is this taking time away from other essential products? Is there some urgency to issuing new FTD's?
2) How is upgrading and/or correcting an FTD a bad thing for fans? People here whine all the time about mistakes being made on FTD releases...

1) It is not. There is not, save that many FTD fans "have turned the sharp corner of 50."
2) No, it is not. Ernst has stated on many occasions he tries to get newly-acquired tapes out as soon as possible.

In the case of the 2009 Girl Happy upgrade, the master reels were an unexpected but cool discovery.

So, what your basically saying in a nutshell is that it was of more urgency to get these newly discovered tapes out

I guess I have a bit more grasp on what I consider essential because the Girl Happy could have waited. Yes indeed.

Considering these same masters were then utilised for a 2010 budget release of 'Girl Happy' it does seem to make little sense of why this was re-pressed in such a hurry. I wonder if the fact that it had been released with the wrong 'You'll Be Gone' take had anything to do with it? Henceforth it now being presented in the FTD catalogue as it should have been presented in the first place.

A deliberate ploy to make us buy the same substandard soundtrack album THREE times over (or 4 if you bought the 'complete' masters)! :x
Tony..

Postby r&b » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Tony.. wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

A deliberate ploy to make us buy the same substandard soundtrack album THREE times over (or 4 if you bought the 'complete' masters)! :x

Its pretty amazing if some people actually would buy this material 4 times over. I may have to start marketing stuff with a good come on to lure folks in.
r&b

Postby When In Rome » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 am

Only four? Vinyl, double features CD, FTD, FTD re-issue, budget CD plus all the tracks are on 'The Complete Masters'. Try over six! It is crazy really, I picked up 'I wish you a Merry Christmas' on CD at a flea-market thing for a £1, I couldn't not, and my wife said 'Haven't you got all those tracks already like ten times over?' 'Well, yeah...' I replied '...just not necessarily in that order!' 'Twas then I realised perhaps I had a problem... :mrgreen:
When In Rome

Postby r&b » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am

When In Rome wrote:Only four? Vinyl, double features CD, FTD, FTD re-issue, budget CD plus all the tracks are on 'The Complete Masters'. Try over six! It is crazy really, I picked up 'I wish you a Merry Christmas' on CD at a flea-market thing for a £1, I couldn't not, and my wife said 'Haven't you got all those tracks already like ten times over?' 'Well, yeah...' I replied '...just not necessarily in that order!' 'Twas then I realised perhaps I had a problem... :mrgreen:

Yes I had that problem probably through the early 90's I kicked it cold turkey, lol. So glad I did. I was able to go out & eat more often to enjoy fine cuisine!
r&b

Postby dennisdee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 pm

terbon4 wrote:
may be a silly question--but how does one distinguish between the original release and the re-release? I've looked at GH on a couple of different websites (including shopelvis) but none state whether it's original or re-release.

On the discs the print is bigger on the remastered version.
On the back of the cover there's ncb next to BMG, also on the remastered version.
See pictures for differences.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dennisdee

PreviousNext

Return to All Elvis