Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Songs about Elvis

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:08 pm

13th Jan 2005, A report showed that more songs had been written about Elvis Presley than any other artist. It listed over 220 songs including:
‘Graceland’ by Paul Simon,
‘A Room At The Heartbreakhotel’ by U2,
‘Calling Elvis’, Dire Straits,
‘Happy Birthday Elvis’, Loudon Wainwright III,
‘There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis’, Kirsty MacColl,
‘I Saw Elvis in a UFO’, Ray Stevens.
‘Elvis Has Left the Building’ by Frank Zappa and 'My Dog Thinks I'm Elvis' by Ray Herndon.

Can we name them all?

More Elvis Facts: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/elvis_facts

Re: Songs about Elvis

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Spiritinthesky wrote:13th Jan 2005, A report showed that more songs had been written about Elvis Presley than any other artist. It listed over 220 songs including:
‘Elvis Has Left the Building’ by Frank Zappa and 'My Dog Thinks I'm Elvis' by Ray Herndon.

Can we name them all?

A guy called Howard Banney from the NewYork area was compiling a list collection back in the 80s I don't know if he published anything on the subject but I am sure that there is well over twice or three times that, I don't know if he is still around he was from a place called Hopewell Junction.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm

And there are some that are really about him, but only give hints.
They use certain "giveaway" words and phrases. Those are probably the best because they make you think.

Most bizarre? "Old King" by Neil Young. He did have a dog named Elvis. So in the song it's Old King. He claims it's just a song about a dog.

This is not the performance I heard, but it has more talk."That old Hound Dog is history." "Best old hound dog I ever did know." It ends "then one day, the King up and died."

phpBB [video]

If you think it's *just* about a dog, fine. I think it's interesting. Very weird, but interesting.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

"Elvis Ain't Dead" Scouting for Girls,
"Elvis Presley Blues", Jimmy Buffett,
"He was the King" Neil Young,
"Hey Elvis", Bryan Adams.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 pm

after elvis passed in 77 the market was awash with tribute singles and lps by everyone and his brother. from the great to the nobodys they all felt compelled to add thier tributes. some of them were quite good but most were just rubbish. i had many american 45s that i kept untill a year or so ago. then i dumped most of the in the charity shop in my town. i dont know how many songs there were about elvis but i have some that were recorded in the late fifties right through to last year. so the total is still growing. one things for sure nobody will ever surpass him on that score..

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Hound dog man by Roy Orbison, from his 1979 album laminar flow.

I've always liked this song, it's a great tribute to Elvis and is wonderfully sung.

phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Kings Call - Phil Lynott
Black Velvet - Alana Miles

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:40 pm

always loved I Saw Elvis In a Ufo
Calling Elvis
Black Velvet
Marc Cohn - Walkin in memphis
Everybody Wants to Be Elvis
The King Is Gone

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Spiritinthesky wrote:‘Elvis Has Left the Building’ by Frank Zappa

Please get it right.
The correct title of that disgraceful 'song' is "Elvis Has Just Left The Building" -
phpBB [video]

"Elvis Has Left The Building" by J.D. Sumner -
phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 pm

E-1 wrote:
Spiritinthesky wrote:13th Jan 2005, A report showed that more songs had been written about Elvis Presley than any other artist. It listed over 220 songs including:

Can we name them all?

A guy called Howard Banney from the NewYork area was compiling a list collection back in the 80s I don't know if he published anything on the subject but I am sure that there is well over twice or three times that, I don't know if he is still around he was from a place called Hopewell Junction.

Yes, Howard is still around. He sells records on Musicstack. I purchased a copy of his book "Return to sender" which is his book about tribute songs etc and there are hundreds of tribute records out there. Some of them are a bit dubious though; for example, he lists Don McLean's "American Pie" as making a reference to Elvis - has anyone spotted this cos I havn't??

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:50 pm

There are several Country songs that include Elvis. Not all are exclusively about him, but mention Elvis and his influence.

From Graceland to the Promised Land- Merle haggard
The King Is Gone(So Are You)- George Jones
Graceland- Willie Nelson
I Try To Think About Elvis- Patty Loveless
Elvis and Andy- Confederate Railroad
Boy From Tupelo- Emmylou Harris
Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes- George Jones (mentions Elvis along with other legends)
I Used to be Somebody- June Carter Cash
The Wrong Side of Memphis- Trisha Yearwood

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Tony.. wrote:... for example, he lists Don McLean's "American Pie" as making a reference to Elvis - has anyone spotted this cos I havn't??

American Pie has been interpreted many different ways by many different people... each with their own ideas of what McLean was writing about.

When asked what "American Pie" meant, McLean replied, "It means I never have to work again." Later, he more seriously stated,
"You will find many interpretations of my lyrics but none of them by me.... Sorry to leave you all on your own like this but long ago
I realized that songwriters should make their statements and move on, maintaining a dignified silence."

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Good old Don!
In my opinion, the best 2 Elvis tributes are "My boy Elvis" and "The EP Express".

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Tamara Walker - Cry Like Memphis, a beaut I think.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

The best song about Elvis that I've heard is "Apparition in Las Vegas," by Pete Atkin, with lyrics by Clive James.
phpBB [video]

On the other hand, you could make a case that the song is more about Elvis's fans than himself. I plan on devoting a lengthier post to the song later this year.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Back To Tupelo by Mark Knopfler (from his "Shangri-La" album).

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 am

Alongside Calling Elvis, Knopfler also wrote this one. The lyrics seem to suggest he's not a fan of the Colonel, calling him the "Lying Dutchman"
Mark Knopfler ... Back To Tupelo

"You can still be Marlon Brando and the King Of Rock n Roll"

phpBB [video]

By the way Calling Elvis came about with a remark Knopflers brother in law said to him about trying to get hold of his sister on the telephone and never getting her, stating it was like trying to call Elvis.