Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Paradise Hawaiian Style - A Classic Movie

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Well thats what it says in my UK TV guide :shock: I was checking up on what film to watch so looked in the 'classic' section and there it was listed. Maybe they should be reported to the Trade Discription Office :!: Or maybe I've never appreciated the film as I should have in the past :lol:

Re: Paradise Hawaiian Style - A Classic Movie

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:02 pm

What ruined the movie for me is the daughter of Elvis' business partner when she sang that song. How obnoxious.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Elvis doesn't help, he is overweight, he wears some of the worst outfits in any of his movies, he obviously doesn't like any of the songs, as he doesn't even try to inject any life into them. Scratch My Back is completely wasted in the way it is performed, and wearing clothes that he would never have been seen in outside the film. The best that can be said for PHS is that it was filmed on location with fantastic Hawaiian scenery.

Having said all that I do give it an acashional showing as it does help brighten up a dull winter highland afternoon, its a 'classic' that you just love to hate.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

this doesn't even rate in my top 20 Elvis films so ya know it's got to be pretty bad IMO. I may watch this movie once every 5 years in the hope that i can find some redeeming value in the film.
FYI I'm still looking for that redeeming value and haven't found it yet.
Yes, the scenery is nice BUT Paramount's treatment of the film on DVD is horrid and that scenery can't really be appreciated in low def and washed out colors.
I call this "Elvis' sleepwalking movie" because E looks bored and is just routinely running through horrid songs, horrid storylines and more "cutesy" scenes with kids.
UGH!!!! :x

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 pm

As far as Elvis and kids, where it worked, in my opinion, was Follow That Dream, Girls, Girls, Girls, It Happened At The World's Fair (Kurt Russel notwithstanding) and Fun In Acapulco.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Paradise Hawaiian Style is purely a remake I think of Blue Hawaii- done 5 years before - the plot , story line etc - This was the era when he was making movies known as B type movies -

Holly wood used him as their vehicle - His record sales were down and he was surely lookin' for a way out from doing bad movies and gettin to high position in charts again

A year before this -The Beatles were doing great in USA and were climbing up the charts -

Elvis was looking for a way out from doing movies I think and he was looking for credible roles he could be recognised for - Wish he could make his come back during this time instead of waiting 3 years .

I know and believe he had a movie contract to comply with Paramount and such - But I certainly wished that his comeback could have been sooner -

Paradise Hawaiian had a good story line - He had Suzanne Leigh acting along side him and his acting was okay as RIc Richards - His songs were okay too I guess -

Some film buffs and fans may think this could be a classic movie for Elvis but sorry to tell you all I think not - Films which are classics are films such as -Love Me Tender , King Creole , Loving You, Jailhouse Rock , GI Blues And Blue Hawaii -

Elvis was looking for challenges during his movie eras and he achieved some if not all - But I truly believe that Holly wood make him their scape goat - ::rocks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karlos on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm

It's a real stinker, one of Elvis' worst movies. But I like some of the songs, though. Especially the one they cut out. :facep:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I sold the DVD a long time ago and dont care if I ever see it again. Its crap.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Paradise Hawaiian Style is the most boring Elvis movie, a real low point, in my opinion. But I have always loved this movie poster!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 am

I never watch PHS--several times a year.
I love every Elvis movie--even the ones I hate!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am

I watched again the movie last week and I realized once more how bored and out of shape Elvis was. He looked bad in the light blue suit when he sings "Stop, were you are". "Queenie, Wahinee's Papaya", "Datin'", "A dog's Life", "You scratch my Back" are submediocre songs. Too bad that "Sand Castles" (the only good song in my opinion) was not included in the film.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:04 pm

This Is My Heaven and Sand Castles are actually songs I like. The soundtrack isn't something I play all the way through. The outtakes are enjoyable though, because of the mood Elvis was in. The movie is a low point. Elvis didn't even care to trim down his body weight for this. The opening scene on the plane shows and overblown Elvis. I was almost shocked how out of shape he was when I first saw the movie.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 pm

The only good things in that movie were : LOCATION , Hawaii ;)
Movie poster : Like it ;)
Bonus song ( cut from the movie) : SANDS CASTLES

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm afraid it is a very poor quality Elvis movie......

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Elvis doesn't help, he is overweight...

Huh? :shock: He looked great on the album cover! smt179

:wink: From Fun In Acapulco

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 am

Blue River wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:Elvis doesn't help, he is overweight...

Huh? :shock: He looked great on the album cover! smt179

Very true, Blue River!

:wink: From Fun In Acapulco

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 am

I always kind of enjoyed it for what it was ! not a great movie but a bit of fun in the sun with catchy songs some nice looking women and sunshine & beaches.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 am

One of my first Elvis memories was seeing this on tv around '77,I just remember the helicopter scene and thinking the song ("a dogs life") was AMAZING!! Ah well, I was only three years old at the time....

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 am

No wonder he looked good on the cover. It's from Fun In Acapulco! :) They did the same thing with the F&J cover. Cut out his face and inserted a pic from Viva Las Vegas, I think it was??

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

Chris Roberts wrote:Elvis doesn't help, he is overweight, he wears some of the worst outfits in any of his movies, he obviously doesn't like any of the songs, as he doesn't even try to inject any life into them. Scratch My Back is completely wasted in the way it is performed, and wearing clothes that he would never have been seen in outside the film. The best that can be said for PHS is that it was filmed on location with fantastic Hawaiian scenery.

Having said all that I do give it an occasional showing as it does help brighten up a dull winter highland afternoon, its a 'classic' that you just love to hate.

Me too. And I do wonder why I do. What's the motivation? I try to tell myself that I'm just working on "understanding" him, but that's not true. It's something we Elvis fans do.

rjm ("Sand Castles" is not bad at all; I recently bought the MP3)

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

bajo wrote:No wonder he looked good on the cover. It's from Fun In Acapulco! :) They did the same thing with the F&J cover. Cut out his face and inserted a pic from Viva Las Vegas, I think it was??

I think that I'm correct in saying that the F&J 'face' is from Girl Happy.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
bajo wrote:No wonder he looked good on the cover. It's from Fun In Acapulco! :) They did the same thing with the F&J cover. Cut out his face and inserted a pic from Viva Las Vegas, I think it was??

I think that I'm correct in saying that the F&J 'face' is from Girl Happy.

You may well be right on that Chris! I only knew it was a cut and paste job! :)

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

I've always enjoyed Paradise Hawaiian Style. Something charming about it.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't like the movie at all. As written before, Elvis doesn't look good, the story is weak and the songs are boring. They even managed to cut "Sand Castles" out of the movie - the only song that is worth listening to.....

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I've always enjoyed Paradise Hawaiian Style. Something charming about it.

:smt023