Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: John Wilkinson Died today

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Another sad day in the Elvis world :( Rest In Peace John. My thoughts are with Johns family at this sad time.I'm just glad John is no longer in any pain.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Saw this on my FB page earlier from a friend. It's a sad, sad day in the Elvis world. There's two people from the band that I still want to meet before they leave this world: James Burton & Ronnie Tutt. I pray that God gives John's family comfort during this time.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 pm

RIP. Now you are with Elvis. That must be some musical jam going on up there!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:30 pm

sad news great man and genuine person rest in peace john

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm

God bless and god speed John. Elvis is waiting for you I am sure.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm

RIP

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Blue River wrote:Did John ever miss playing in an Elvis show from July 31, 1969 to June 26, 1977?

I believe John and James were the only two musicians to not miss one of Elvis' stage shows in the 70's... sadly John was never a part of the Elvis in Concert series of shows from 1997 on even though he was with Elvis through everyone of his live shows... I'm still upset over John's passing today... he will be missed. :(

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

There's a scene in the original TTWII involving John Wilkinson that I've always liked. Elvis is performing How The Web Was Woven at the piano. As Elvis finishes there's a closeup of John watching Elvis and listening intently. At the conclusion of the performance John simply smiles. But it's clear from John's smile that he enjoyed Elvis' performance. I also enjoy John's tasteful Travis picking on the live versions of Early Morning Rain. RIP

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 pm

YDKM wrote:Yes once i read John had moved to a 'Hospice' ...i knew it wouldn't be long....my mum lasted 2 weeks in one...they normally ONLY let you go into one if the end is near.

In John Wilkinson's case 'hospice' care meant that he was sent home (according to elvisjock's thread in the Off Topic section) -

John Wilkinson in Hospice Care
by elvisjock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm
Various sources are reporting that John was sent home, to hospice care, after a recent hospitalization. He's been chronically ill for some time.

Most people would rather pass away at home (if possible) than at a facility.
My sister-in-law passed away at age 39 due to ovarian cancer. She was sent home from the hospital to live out her last weeks in December of 2000.
She died in January 2001. I don't think my wife has ever fully recovered emotionally from losing her sister at such a young age.

YDKM wrote:That brief piece of John singing from Lake Tahoe 76' is a very nice & special moment :lol:

Is that on a bootleg cd? If so, which one?

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Blue River wrote:
YDKM wrote:Yes once i read John had moved to a 'Hospice' ...i knew it wouldn't be long....my mum lasted 2 weeks in one...they normally ONLY let you go into one if the end is near.

In John Wilkinson's case 'hospice' care meant that he was sent home (according to elvisjock's thread in the Off Topic section) -

John Wilkinson in Hospice Care
by elvisjock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm
Various sources are reporting that John was sent home, to hospice care, after a recent hospitalization. He's been chronically ill for some time.

Most people would rather pass away at home (if possible) than at a facility.
My sister-in-law passed away at age 39 due to ovarian cancer. She was sent home from the hospital to live out her last weeks in December of 2000.
She died in January 2001. I don't think my wife has ever fully recovered emotionally from losing her sister at such a young age.

YDKM wrote:That brief piece of John singing from Lake Tahoe 76' is a very nice & special moment :lol:

Is that on a bootleg cd? If so, which one?

the video of john singing is on the first page. and its available on Live at the Lakeside in Tahoe

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Didn't John also sing "Early Morning Rain" at the May 29, 1977 concert in Baltimore, Maryland?

rlj
Last edited by rlj4ep on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm

elvis-fan wrote:... sadly John was never a part of the Elvis in Concert series of shows from 1997 on...

Does anyone remember why John didn't participate in the original Elvis In Concert show in Memphis on August 16, 1997?
I'm wondering if it was due to illness or if he was committed to something else at the time?

Looking at the program in front of me right now reminds me of who all was there!

Hosts: George Klein and Wink Martindale

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra conducted by Alan Balter
Joe Guercio (special guest conductor)

James Burton
Ronnie Tutt
Jerry Scheff
Glen D. Hardin

Scotty Moore
D.J. Fontana

Gordon Stoker
Neal Matthews
Ray Walker
Duane West

Armond Morales
Terry Blackwood
Joe Moscheo
Jim Murray
Sherman Andrus

J.D. Sumner
Ed Enoch
Ed Hill
Rick Strickland
Jerry Kelso

Bill Baize (former member of The Stamps)
Hugh Jarrett (former member of The Jordanaires)
Charlie Hodge
Millie Kirkham

Myrna Smith
Estelle Brown
Sylvia Shemwell
Portia Griffin

Tim Baty
Shaun Nielsen
Donnie Sumner

Ronnie McDowell
Terry Mike Jeffrey & Band
The Rhythm Kings (band)
The O'Landa Draper Choir

Priscilla Presley
Lisa Marie Presley

------------------------------------------------------------
Missing: Kathy Westmoreland, John Wilkinson, and a few lesser knowns

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Rest in peace Mr. John Wilkinson.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:the video of john singing is on the first page. and its available on Live at the Lakeside in Tahoe

Yes, thanks... this one >> http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/livelakeside.html

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Blue River wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:... sadly John was never a part of the Elvis in Concert series of shows from 1997 on...

Does anyone remember why John didn't participate in the original Elvis In Concert show in Memphis on August 16, 1997?
I'm wondering if it was due to illness or if he was committed to something else at the time?

Looking at the program in front of me right now reminds me of who all was there!

Hosts: George Klein and Wink Martindale

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra conducted by Alan Balter
Joe Guercio (special guest conductor)

James Burton
Ronnie Tutt
Jerry Scheff
Glen D. Hardin

Scotty Moore
D.J. Fontana

Gordon Stoker
Neal Matthews
Ray Walker
Duane West

Armond Morales
Terry Blackwood
Joe Moscheo
Jim Murray
Sherman Andrus

J.D. Sumner
Ed Enoch
Ed Hill
Rick Strickland
Jerry Kelso

Bill Baize (former member of The Stamps)
Hugh Jarrett (former member of The Jordanaires)
Charlie Hodge
Millie Kirkham

Myrna Smith
Estelle Brown
Sylvia Shemwell
Portia Griffin

Tim Baty
Shaun Nielsen
Donnie Sumner

Ronnie McDowell
Terry Mike Jeffrey & Band
The Rhythm Kings (band)
The O'Landa Draper Choir

Priscilla Presley
Lisa Marie Presley

------------------------------------------------------------
Missing: Kathy Westmoreland, John Wilkinson, and a few lesser knowns

One day in 1989 John suffered a severe stroke. After he recovered, his left arm stayed paralyzed.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:36 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Didn't John also sing "Early Morning Rain" at the May 29, 1977 concert in Baltimore, Maryland?

rlj

nope that was sherill nielsen

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Pete Dube wrote:There's a scene in the original TTWII involving John Wilkinson that I've always liked. Elvis is performing How The Web Was Woven at the piano. As Elvis finishes there's a closeup of John watching Elvis and listening intently. At the conclusion of the performance John simply smiles. But it's clear from John's smile that he enjoyed Elvis' performance.

Great memory, Pete! Yes, I've always loved that scene in the movie as well... you could tell by John's expression that it wasn't simply something for the cameras... a rare stolen moment... very cool! "Da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaaaaa..." :smt023

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:One day in 1989 John suffered a severe stroke. After he recovered, his left arm stayed paralyzed.

I wonder what brought that on at such an early age? If my math is correct he was only about 43 when that happened!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Didn't John also sing "Early Morning Rain" at the May 29, 1977 concert in Baltimore, Maryland?

rlj

Thanks very much. I appreciate your response.

rlj

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

rlj

rlj

John sang EMR in Baltimore. No doubt.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Yes John did sing Early morning rain during an Elvis concert. I think Elvis.au posted on their website today.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm

elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

rlj

rlj

John sang EMR in Baltimore. No doubt.

i just listened to the performance, and thats sherril nielsen in baltimore..
john sung lower (as u can hear in the version on the first page), no way that john got a higher voice, and sung the song much diffrently then he did less then a year later.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Here's one of the last public interviews he gave in 2011 at Graceland.........

phpBB [video]

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 pm

R.I.P. John Wilkinson
Sad news indeed -
Sadly missed -
Ty for the great memries -
...........................................................................................

[b]Now you are with Elvis in Heaven -playn guitar for him and angels as audience -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:58 am

Sad sad news indeed. :(

RIP John. You will always be missed.