Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: John Wilkinson Died today

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:02 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Didn't John also sing "Early Morning Rain" at the May 29, 1977 concert in Baltimore, Maryland?

rlj

nope that was sherill nielsen

Thanks very much. I appreciate your response.

rlj

John sang EMR in Baltimore. No doubt.

i just listened to the performance, and thats sherril nielsen in baltimore..
john sung lower (as u can hear in the version on the first page), no way that john got a higher voice, and sung the song much diffrently then he did less then a year later.

It's John in Baltimore, very clearly, no one else but John.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:07 am

I thought so. A friend told me that it was John but I have never heard it so I thought I would ask. Thanks guys for your help!!

rlj

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:13 am

Rest in Peace John.

What a tremendously nice guy you were. After a show in Mol you didn't have any guitar picks anymore. You asked for my address and after a little while you wrote me and send me four!
I will never forget your kindness and honesty. You were sincere to the fans and indeed never turned a fan down.

I will miss you.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 am

Here's an article from a Springfield, Missouri newspaper:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2013 ... pringfield

Elvis' guitar player, John Wilkinson, dies in Springfield

10:45 PM, Jan 11, 2013

Springfield guitarist and singer John Wilkinson — the upstart boy who scolded Elvis Presley over his guitar work, later the loyal bandmate of The King — died Friday after a long battle with cancer at age 67.

With his wife, Terry, whom he married in 1983, he spent his final hours listening to Presley songs, said Brett Miller, a close family friend.

Wilkinson was born on July 3, 1945, in Washington, D.C. About a year later, his parents, Richard and Virginia Wilkinson, moved to Springfield, where he attended all grades at Greenwood Laboratory School through high school.

He briefly attended the University of Arkansas and left to pursue his passion for music. He gained recognition in folk and country circles, playing with The Kingston Trio and The New Christy Minstrels.

At the peak of his career, he played rhythm guitar in Presley’s TCB (Taking Care of Business) Band for more than 1,200 shows, from 1968 to Presley’s death in 1977.

As a boy, Wilkinson had seen television clips of Presley beating on his guitar with his hands. In a widely celebrated encounter, Wilkinson at age 10 sneaked into the Shrine Mosque before a Presley concert and berated the young star for mistreating his guitar. Presley remembered the moment and hired Wilkinson when they met again 12 years later.

In 1989, Wilkinson had a stroke that prevented him from playing guitar. However, he continued to sing, and he toured through Europe performing songs associated with Presley and original work.

He lived in California for a time, then returned to live in the house where he grew up in Springfield.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:17 am

JohanD wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Didn't John also sing "Early Morning Rain" at the May 29, 1977 concert in Baltimore, Maryland?

rlj

rlj

john sung lower (as u can hear in the version on the first page), no way that john got a higher voice, and sung the song much diffrently then he did less then a year later.

this dont sound like john?

http://picosong.com/3tpX/

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 am

Rolling Stone posts a photo that doesn't even have John in it! :shock: :facep:
>> http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 7-20130112

Huff Post must've thought Charlie Hodge (in background) was John Wilkinson! :shock: :facep:
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... ertainment

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 am

Blue River wrote:Rolling Stone posts a photo that doesn't even have John in it! :shock: :facep:

Huff Post must've thought Charlie Hodge (in background) was John Wilkinson! :shock: :facep:

Sad - and another reminder of how many of Elvis' group are gone now.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 am

Blue River wrote:Rolling Stone posts a photo that doesn't even have John in it! :shock: :facep:

That's just plain irresponsible (I'm speaking of Rolling Stone, who should know better). They should issue an apology or something, with a real picture. No respect. He was, by every account, a very nice guy - not just someone in Elvis's band, and that counts for a LOT! I think the world is generally not made better by "great" men, but much more by good ones. And that's where the respect goes out the window.

His picture is all around; it should be sent to Rolling Stone.

Along with a better description than "a guitar player," as though there were a whole bunch of 'em. "John Wilkinson, rhythm guitarist in Elvis Presley's TCB Band from 1969-1977, has died at age 67, after a long battle with cancer." At least that.

rjm

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 am

Yes he had a very hard life after his 1989 stroke..... quite severely disabled..... and as nearly always it was 'secondary cancer' that killed him same as my mum lungs & liver from which you don't last long... terribly sad as he came across as such a nice reserved Guy :(
i KNOW Elvis pinched his 'date' Kathy in August 1970... and used to joke with him on stage.... but it was a TRUE respect for one another i believe john sang 'early morning rain 3 times with /for Elvis lake tahoe Oct 74'/tahoe 76 + baltimore 77'.
what a nice man and memories... remember a few years ago he came to Memphis in August and met fans!~ 8) he wax a 'genuine guy who 'on tour ' would just chill out in his motel room with an ice bucket!~ :wink:

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's one of the last public interviews he gave in 2011 at Graceland.........

phpBB [video]

That's beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Sad News.
As we all get older and death comes closer for us all, hearing about how old this person was or that person or what they have done in their lives tells us all for that moment in time how short life really is.
67 doesn't feel as old as it use to that is for sure.
May John RIP and be remembered by all.
PEP

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:49 pm

RIP big John :(

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm

RIP John.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 pm

I knew he grew up in Springfield, MO, a city I am very familiar with. My family made many trips there when I was young to go shopping, dining, or to receive medical care. My stepfather is currently getting chemotherapy treatments at the same facility John was. But I did not know he went to the University of Arkansas. My family and I are all huge Razorback fans from Northwest Arkansas.

Now, I live in Memphis and Memphis sends you much love John.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 am

Very sad news. I wasn't lucky enough to have met John but I was always a great admirer of his playing and the things he said about EP in interviews etc.RIP John.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 pm

RIP

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Terribly sorry....
Someone told me that ginger Alden & one of her sisters was bashing him after his death because he "lied about her and made himself more important than what he actually was. "
What a world Elvis lived in.
Condolences to the family. He was a talented man

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
JohanD wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

rlj

rlj

That's not the version i was listening to on Saturday.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Gary1 wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
JohanD wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

rlj

rlj

That's not the version i was listening to on Saturday.

thats the balitmore performance, as taken from the recent version Baltimore Nightfall

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

How sad this is. John was one of the kindest persons I met in the Elvis world.
I had the previlege to talk to him when he granted me a interview for my website in 2006. He treated me so nicely on the phone, I felt I was talking to a friend.
After a few weeks he sent me his biography and he signed the book to me. He also sent me some pictures of him with Elvis. I tought it was a great gesture.
Rest in peace, John

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

A very loyal and great guitar-player. Seemed to be a great guy. May he rest in peace.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Sad news indeed. RIP John.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 pm

RIP John.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

This is terrible news.
R.I.P. John Wilkinson :cry:

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 am