Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Cake for Elvis' 78th Birthday!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

rlj4ep wrote:Enjoy your stay Blue River. I know you have to be having a great time!!

JEFF d wrote:... how did you enjoy the festivities today at Graceland??

Take a look at the birthday cake! >> http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6837

After the ceremony I personally asked Jack Soden (President and CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises)... how much the cake co$t? He wasn't sure so he turned and asked a lady a feet feet away from him. Answer -
Would anyone like to take a gue$$ ?
Mr. Soden told me that the cake was made in West Memphis, Arkansas by Cakes By Mom And Me >> http://www.cakesbymomandme.com/

Later across the street, the gentleman in charge of serving the cake at the cafe gave me the top piece (with the edible gold stars sticking out). My brother asked him why he wasn't cutting it. As the man was handing it to me, he replied to my brother that he wasn't cutting & serving it because it was mainly a round piece of styrofoam coated with icing (no actual cake inside that section). I ate a couple of the stars... they had a subtle hint of lemon flavor to them.
The cake itself was good, but coated with very thick, firm icing (really too much).

My brother then asked me what I was going to do with the top section and I said, "Good question... heck I don't know. I guess I'll take it home and put it in the refrigerator". He suggested that I could possibly sell it on eBay. smt179

As we were leaving the cafe a couple of ladies (about 60 yrs. young) ask if they could have one of the shooting stars each from the top and I said, "Sure".
They thanked me and told me that they had been collecting whatever they could from Elvis' birthday cakes every year for the past several years.

When I got to my vehicle (on the Graceland side of EP Blvd) to put it inside for safe keeping, I started thinking - I don't need this or really want this. I then decided to walk back to the cafe and give it to the ladies because I figured they would be thrilled to have it in their "Elvis birthday cake collection". They didn't hesitate for a second when I offered it to them, and they were grateful. I have their claw marks on the back of my hands to prove it! Just joking about that. If they sell it on eBay... more power to 'em. :lol:

Re: Cake for Elvis' 78th Birthday!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 am

Congratulations?

Seriously, that was really nice, giving it to the ladies. 8)

rjm

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Sounds like you had a great time Blue River! How was business doing at the house? Hope to meet up with ya this summer down there.

Be safe coming back! smt130

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

...well how much did the cake cost??

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

rjm wrote:Seriously, that was really nice, giving it to the ladies. 8)

I figured it meant more to them than it did to me.

promiseland wrote:Sounds like you had a great time Blue River! How was business doing at the house? Hope to meet up with ya this summer down there.

Business was fair for a chilly (but nice) January day. I saw license plates from numerous states and one from Quebec, Canada.
Hopefully, we'll meet this summer, promiseland.

JEFF d wrote:...well how much did the cake cost??

No guesses? Okay... $2,000
Looking at it during the proclamation ceremony I was thinking that it maybe cost between $700 - $1000.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Blue River wrote:I have their claw marks on the back of my hands to prove it!

I misread that at first. I thought it said that they left claw marks on your back.

I was ready to give you a high-five, you old dog.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 am

Rob wrote:
Blue River wrote:I have their claw marks on the back of my hands to prove it!

I misread that at first. I thought it said that they left claw marks on your back.
I was ready to give you a high-five, you old dog.

... old ?

:cry:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 am

One more little tidbit to tell about the cake conversation I had with Jack Soden -

After he told me how much the cake cost, he added with a friendly smile, "That's a lot of money. I don't know if we should be spending that much on a cake." (a tongue-in-cheek statement I hope)
I quickly said to him, "Well, the company that made it may have charged more than normal knowing that Graceland was buying it, Jack, but just look around at all these loyal and happy fans. A good time is being had by all ."

With a smile and a nod of his head, Jack agreed.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 am

I bet it was fun to be there!

JEFF d
EP fan