Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What kind of sound system do you use to listen to your music

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, I did exactly what the Prince From Another Planet Deluxe Set booklet said, "play it loud." I managed to blow the left channel of my receiver. But it was fun. I'm going to miss that system, it was my best friend for twenty years.

Rack systems are all but obsolete now, so I settled on a 600 watt Pioneer Home Theatre with surround sound. I'm using the included 4 surround sound speakers and subwoofer along with two existing 100 watt Pioneer tall boy speakers from my old system. It does sound good; however, I don't like it as much as my old Pioneer rack system. My wife says that I can't stand change. That may be true to some extent, but I know what sounds better. It seems everything is ipods and notebooks now. You may be able to piece a high quality system together, but it will set you back at least $3,000. To me nothing sounds better than the old school stereo system. Mine took a beating and always sounded crystal clear, especially for a live big auditorium sound (like the Garden shows).

I did listen to the FTD Jailhouse Rock Volume 2 cds in my new system after reading several posts about the sound quality. The title track did sound amazing through surround sound. Scotty's lead guitar track was isolated in one surround side speaker really clear while the rest was spread through the other 5 speakers.

I haven't yet found the setting I want to use for live recordings, such as PFAP. I'll have to sit down and see which one I like best.

What kind of media or system do you guys listen to your Elvis music through?

Re: What kind of sound system do you use to listen to your m

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Two ears :-)

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

For me there's nothing like an ordinary good stereo system.
no 5.1 suround or dolby pro- logic, just stereo.
Everything else does not sound natural. All recordings are not made for suround or Dolby Pro Logic. a good amp and a good set of speakers. that is honest sound.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 pm

I have a Marantz receiver, Nakamichi CD player and castle speakers... but I usually listen to through Bose headphones... Elvis sounds great on my system!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm

All kidding aside, I don't have time to sit around and enjoy Elvis' music on CD as I used to.
So I recently bought a Maxell 1TB (that's 1,024 gigabytes!) external Hard Drive, I ripped all my CDs in FLAC format and now I listen to them on my notebook through good Sony headphones.
And it's great, I can make direct comparisons between different CDs in matter of seconds. 8)

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 pm

I have two systems. Both are run by Luxman amplifiers. In the livingroom, I have a Luxman L-505u class AB amp which kicks
ass for sure, but I am even more fond of my Luxman SQ-N100 tube amp. The big amp puts out 120 watt while the small one manages a mere 10 watt. It is not that important. But it is crucial to match your amp with the right speakers of course, and I have done that, so the small amp can go loud and still sound clean and open and just plain great! If one wants truly good sound for music, a regular 2 channel system bought in a real hifi store is the only way to go. Surround is great for movies but can not compete with a 2 channel system for music.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 premium integrated amplifier and Topaz CD5 CD Player. Mission M73 speakers.

As predicted by Chad Gates a little while back bedding in nicely and sounding better all the time.

Geoff

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Wire recorder.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 am

If God wanted us to listening to5.1 system he would have given us six ears. :P so for me the the way to go is two
channel hifi system.
Ampflier is Harman Kardon 990 togheter with the matching CD player in the 990 serie. Loudspeaker is a Swedish
brand named XTZ. I'm also in the progress to ripping my Collection right now im upp to ca 1 000 discs, and there
is one thousand more Before I am ready. I use a non compreses format so Everything is ripped in Wav. I have a mini computer next to my hifi system and a audiophil DAC and for listening, managing my Collection I use JRiver
media. I can assure you that there is no difference in sound quality comparing the DAC/computer verses the CD player.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 am

I now have a Marantz PM7200 amp coupled to a Marantz CD6003 cd player and hooked up to a pair of KEF IQ5 speakers wired with QED silver anniversary cable with factory fitted terminals, Not high end stuff but it sure sounds nice :) .Oh and for headphone listening i have a pair of Sennheisser HD580 Precisions. And for my vinyl i have a Project debut 3 turntable.

Alan.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 am

Harman Kardon 3.1.. Killer set with quite some power.
I do agree a classic 2.0 set up usually works best, my old Kenwood set still outperforms many new sets out there..
I don't appreciate 5.1 sound unless I'm watching a movie.

Spending most time behind my PC, I have a decent set as PC speakers are horrible.
Finally, the sound in my car is nothing less than impressive. Usually this is the best area to "play it loud" :wink:
Last edited by Robert on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:30 am

Feeding the Yammy through the Marantz digital coaxial out is a match made in heaven for my vintage JR's.
Extremely punchy yet detailed sound.

The receiver is great for listening to dry soundboards in concert mode too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am

I have a NAD 3020 amp with a pair of Acoustic Research AR 18 speakers which i purchased with my first x mas bonus way back in 1982. I also have a Marantz CD 52 player but thats only twenty years old !.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am

Sennheiser HD25-1 II Closed-Back Headphones. With my new Samsung computer. Excellent.

And,

The room system, I need a picture. It's small but packs a wallop, and also works with the IPod - it has a thing for digital audio (it was intended for tape), and that works great for the IPod. And CDs sound great.

JVC FS 7000 Ultra Compact Component System.

The speakers have wood, and it's really impressive.

I also have an ancient, larger system, but it's really, really old. The turntable is on that one. And my new TV rig.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

I don't own a stereo set anymore. But i listen through some very good sony headphones to ::rocks

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

http://www.xtzsound.eu/en/products/elec ... O05eZ3KxaQ
And this cd player.

http://www.slashgear.com/teac-esoteric- ... p-1422848/

And old DALI 6006 loudspeakers.
That is why i have to have this amplifier since ohm is going under 4 ohm.
Hard for a standard amplifier these loudspeakers.
They are Perfect for Elvis. :smt003 :smt006

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

I listen to a Harman Kardon AVR 1500 and JBL HL820 speakers
Cd player Kenwood DP-4090
Aloha From hawaii sounds very good on this system
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Man there are some nice systems floating around this forum..
I can't really compete, but..

In my small Elvis Room -

I use this, with a couple of nice Monitor Audio speakers.
Lovely sound from this system, and way more powerful than I'll ever need in the size of room that it's in.

In my living room, I have an old Pioneer receiver,
With this CD player -
Again more power than I'll ever need. This setup gives a lovely warm sound - particularly nice for vinyl, which gets played on this -
And it all goes through a lovely set of Tannoy speakers

And if I really want to *listen* to the music.. then I throw these on my head..
Last edited by KevinK on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Acoustic Wave

These take some beating from Bose, CD / IPOD/ MUSIC FILE ........... JUST DARN EXPENSIVE !

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Those are some really nice set ups. That's what I'm saying, you can't beat the 2 channel sound. I was just messing with the different advanced surround sound settings while I was listening to Jailhouse Rock Volume 2 FTD and it did sound pretty cool. But as far as cd listening, it will be in the pure direct 2 channel setting with my old Pioneer tall speakers.

Right now I have a buddy of mine working on my receiver that I blew the channel in because I just can't seem to let that component set-up go.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Boston Acoustics A26 Speakers

Marantz PM6004 Amplifier

Marantz CD6004 CD Player

Kimber Kable 12 TC Speaker Cables (expensive s**t)
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Marantz cd player cd5001
Marantz amplifier pm 4001
Marantz tuner st6001
Marant dvd player dv4001

Sony 300-cd changer which houses my entire FTD cd collection.

big ground speakers JBL E80

I got a great deal on this set about 4 years ago because the brand was changing its design to a more modern look, but I like the rather classic look of my set.
Very solid and durable, comparable to Rotel which I used to have.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I don't own a stereo set anymore.

me neither...the cd player broke and I never got a new one. I listen to music on my computer

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm

You would not believe the sound I get out of this baby.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Believe it or not, speaker cables are just as important as the component units themselves. Paid an arm & leg for my pair of Kimber Kable's. I've known rich folks who shelled out as much as $50 K on cables alone.