Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

All Elvis Radio on Sirius

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 pm

I have a free trial for Sirius radio. Naturally, I've been checking out the All-Elvis channel. I don't know folks, I'm not really impressed-and I'm not sure why. I'm certainly glad it exists-but something about it is unsettling for me. What has been your experiences with it?

Re: All Elvis Radio on Sirius

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Too much of a good thing isn't always good. I will put it on once in awhile and enjoy a great song just to see it followed by Who Needs Money. And they love to play the 1971 version of My Way, which makes me immediately change stations.

It's OK but there are too many poor selections from our guy to listen to it for too long a stretch. I can't think of any artist that could sustain a 24 hour/day radio station.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:33 pm

I enjoy it...I don't listen to it all day, everyday, but I do listen often. I like the DJs and of course the music. I treat it as a compilation CD that I didn't have to make.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

It was playing selections from the Million Dollar Quartet CD the other day. Frankly, it sounded awful. If I didn't know the history of the "session"- and if i was a casual fan of Elvis-i don't think i could listen to it. Makes me wonder what the target audience is for it?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

I have had it since it started. I listen regularly but not all the time. I like it that they don't just play the hits. They play songs you never heard on radio, plus live stuff,full concerts, outtakes etc. I like having it so it's there when I want it.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 am

Its always nice to have the weekly schedule.

http://www.siriusxm.com/elvisradio/weeklyschedule

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 am

The Elvis Radio channel is in serious need of a capable program director.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:11 am

I enjoy the channel for a couple of hours at a time here and there. I have met some of the DJs at Graceland and they are genuinely nice people. Argo made a fuss over my daughter and let her sit in the booth for a photo. George Klein and Big Jim Sykes were exceptionally nice to our family one afternoon. These folks are great ambassadors for Elvis' music.
With that said, I agree that a little more structure in the programming would be nice. As an example, the gospel music on Sunday morning is great, and there is a 50s program on Friday nights, but a couple more specials during the week (maybe a country or blues special) would be nice.

All in all, though, we enjoy the channel.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 am

I'm glad to hear that you all feel there is r+on for improvement regarding the programming. I think maybe that was what I was reacting to more than anything.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 am

Its always nice to have the weekly schedule.

Their website used to be updated which was helpful and included which Elvis in Concert special was airing for the week, which movie was featured for Soundtrack Saturday Night and other specials they were airing for the week. Not sure what happened whether it is Elvis Radio at fault or SiriusXM.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 am

I love me some Sirius/XM, but rarely listen to the Elvis Channel. I am usually going back and forth to Willie's Roadhouse or The Bridge.

I give the Elvis Channel a few minutes here and there, but they rarely play anything that I care to listen to for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 am

I like it, hey its Elvis... but some of the soundtrax songs/dawgs ie "Who Nees Money" and the like I wish they would keep mostly on the "Soundtrax Saturday Night" specials.... and I also agree they play the 1970 studio version of "My Way" wayyy too much, I would rather hear the version from Aloha or the 77 single version...

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 am

Two biggest complaints about Elvis Radio are:
1) the inaccuracies from the DJ's who really don't know that much about Elvis
2) the 128 kbps compressed horrible sound
I listen to it the odd time but the sound quality is so bad I'd rather not...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I can't say the same for Big Jim Sykes. I took my wife and son to Graceland a couple of years ago and my son was really looking forward to saying "I traveled 960 miles to visit Graceland" like he's heard time and time and time and time again on the Elvis channel. I asked Jim if he would mind if my son could say it and he blew us off. He could have even just acted like he was recording it since my son was so excited about it. Total a*#@&$. What a way to get the younger generation turned on to Elvis...The more I thought about it, the madder and madder I got, so I emailed Jim and told him he was an a#@&*%@.
As far as the channel goes, it's okay I guess. It doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off. I'm like a lot of others, when the 1971 master of "My Way" comes on it's time to change the channel. About every channel on Sirius has a rather small playlist that they rotate probably every quarter. Boneyard does the same thing. I'm finding myself going back to cds again which was the reason I liked the idea of satellite radio in the first place. I'm also finding that the service in my area has a lot more dead spaces than it used to. Probably should cancel my subscription, but like you say its nice to know it's there when I want it.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:02 am

The only reason I purchased Sirius is for the Elvis Channel. I would give it a "B" at best. The DJ"S seem great and they have fantastic interviews with fans, musicians, family members, friends of Elvis. I love when they play a concert or interview in it's entirety. The celebrity guest DJ are fantastic, once I listened Jewel DJ for an hour and play her favorite Elvis songs and tell stories about how his music affected her life and career, pretty cool.
The worst thing can be the poor song selection, playing "Petunia the Gardener's Daughter" or "Do the Clam" does nothing positive for Elvis and anyone who knows anything about the man knows how angry and embarrassed he would be for someone to be playing that trash. Especially on his own property! :evil:
I totally agree with the comments about the 1971 version of "My Way', oh man is it bad and they always want to play it at 9am, really? :roll:

I know this is not nice but as much of a nice guy as I think George Klein probably is he is getting a little senile. Once at 4pm on a Friday he discussed with the Governor of Arkansas Elvis telling a story about Ann Margaret performing oral sex on Elvis on the first date. I was like seriously dude there are kids probably listening to this channel with parents or grandparents could we save that for later, geez.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Another major problem I have with the channel is every time you turn around they're playing the techno remix versions of "A Little Less Conversation" & "Rubberneckin'." God, give it a rest.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

I agree.

I don't like anything about the remixes and they play them way too much.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm

One thing I would like to see them do is take a page from E Street Radio and do a "Be the King" segment where listeners get to program the station for 30-45 minutes.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Mike C wrote:One thing I would like to see them do is take a page from E Street Radio and do a "Be the King" segment where listeners get to program the station for 30-45 minutes.

OMG Halleluiah! You can almost guess what your going to hear if you listen to that station for more than 30 minutes... with the size and depth of Elvis' music library, it's a wonder you have to ever hear the same song or version of a song twice in a week. I believe the programming is not left up to the DJ's. God everything is so corporate... it's makes me sick. I mean what kind of conversation led to these idiots believing Elvis fans or people in general that might turn the station on once in a while, want to hear A Little Less Conversation remix or the Viva Elvis version of Suspicious Minds 10 times a day???

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Mike C wrote:One thing I would like to see them do is take a page from E Street Radio and do a "Be the King" segment where listeners get to program the station for 30-45 minutes.

OMG Halleluiah! You can almost guess what your going to hear if you listen to that station for more than 30 minutes... with the size and depth of Elvis' music library, it's a wonder you have to ever hear the same song or version of a song twice in a week. I believe the programming is not left up to the DJ's. God everything is so corporate... it's makes me sick. I mean what kind of conversation led to these idiots believing Elvis fans or people in general that might turn the station on once in a while, want to hear A Little Less Conversation remix or the Viva Elvis version of Suspicious Minds 10 times a day???

Thanks! Yeah, I hate the Viva Elvis tunes...get ride of them.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

One thing I would like to see them do is take a page from E Street Radio and do a "Be the King" segment where listeners get to program the station for 30-45 minutes.

Good idea Mike. The only thing that I have seen them do on Elvis Radio that is like that but it is only once a week occurs after the Elvis Quiz Show on Fridays at like 2 pm eastern. Whoever wins the Elvis Quiz show gets to be an Elvis DJ for like 30 minutes and pick out their favorite songs. This is before senile Klein begins his show. I agree with the remarks made about some of the DJs being inaccurate on their facts, overplaying the 1971 My Way and remixes, but for some reason I still listen to it for now. If anything I wish they would do more like E Street Radio and play some bootlegs from non FTD show but I am sure that would not be welcomed.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 pm

I agree with everyone here about the 71' My Way and the short play list they play from a guy that has such a huge catalog. But the worst are the shows hosted by Bill Rock. This guy loves to hear himself talk! He drones on and on. His dedication show is the most depressing show on the station having to listen to people talk about how a certain Elvis song got them through surgery or a death or any other event I don't care to hear about. The worst part is they replay this show more than any other show! The show that is supposed to focus on Elvis's 50's songs always play a lot of 60's songs for some odd reason. And of course there's George Klein with his constantly saying he was at and the reason for Elvis's most important moments, ie; Told Elvis to record at American, designed the TCB logo, etc.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 am

intheghetto wrote:I've been a subscriber to Sirius for about 5 years now and I listen to the Elvis channel regularly. It has it pluses and minuses. On the plus side, well, it's all Elvis. Their rotation is a little tight but not enough to drive me nuts. I do agree that playing those useless remixes and 're-imagined' Viva Elvis tracks is annoying and forces me to change the channel. Why Elvis needs to be 're-imagined' is beyond me. Isn't the point that his music, as it was, is the reason for his longevity among fans? If people don't get it from that pespective too bad. Why does his music need to be re-packaged for a newer audience? It's not the point. But I digress. I'm ok with most of the jocks, but I do agree that the Bill Rock show is needlessly sappy and maudlin and they really need to lighten up on that. I do however enjoy the Elvis quiz show and even though George Klein can get a tad overbearing at times with talking about his association with Elvis I do like him. Maybe he talks about it too much, but let's face it, the guy was there almost from the get-go so I have to give him slack. Not to mention that his mentor was Dewey Phillips, so like it or not this guy has a history. I also think that he does have interesting people on his show and does some good interviews. Some of these people come out of the woodwork to talk about their careers and Elvis. The other day he had a really great interview with Bobby Whitlock of Derek & the Dominoes, and in the past he's had Jim Dandy Mangrum from Black Oak Arkansas, and several songwriters that have had their work recorded by Elvis. The Whitlock interview for example was really interesting to me because I had no idea about this guy's past as a native Memphian who was involved in the local music scene since his teens. Of course GK's interviews also address how guests knew Elvis or how they were influenced by him, but it's not limited to just that and he doesn't limit his guests to people that were just in the Elvis inner circle. I had the chance to meet him two summer's ago at Graceland one afternoon when his show was over and he was extremely nice, signed my copy of Elvis: My Best Man, and really took some time to talk to my wife and I. He wasn't arrogant in the least and didn't give us the 'I'm too busy for you' show biz routine. I thought it was really cool that I got to talk at length with somebody that was so closely associated with Elvis, it's not something that happens everyday.

Overall though I do agree that there could be some revamping to the channel. But then again I think the programmers are targeting a family audience and a, excuse the snobbery, less critical-more generic segment of the Elvis fan base. Maybe we want to hear more interviews with Peter Guralnick and references or interviews with Greil Marcus or what have you, but I don't think that's what the channel is designed for. Lately I've been listening to the EP Express online all Elvis radio through the TuneIn Radio app on my iPad which is a great alternative. There are no jocks, there's alot of out takes, and alot of lengthy interview clips with Elvis. What more do you need?

I don't really want to hear interviews with Peter Guralnick or with Greil Marcus, I just want to hear the music. The other thing I forgot to mention is the lack of follow through on the promos. They will play a clip of say, Keith Richards talking about the first time he heard Heartbreak Hotel and how it changed his life. So you would think it would be a great time to play Heartbreak Hotel after the promo. But instead, they will play something like the 71' My Way or something as far away from HH as you can get. They also have way too many promos telling you it's the Elvis channel in the first place and some don't even make sense like the one where they start playing Blue Suede Shoes then they stop it with the clip of the DJ from the 50's breaking the records saying, "Rock And Roll has got to go" with absolutely no context. Most younger people don't even know what that's from. And they really do need to get rid of Bill Rock. No matter what show he does he just won't shut up!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 am

josephinebeau wrote:The only reason I purchased Sirius is for the Elvis Channel. I would give it a "B" at best. The DJ"S seem great and they have fantastic interviews with fans, musicians, family members, friends of Elvis. I love when they play a concert or interview in it's entirety. The celebrity guest DJ are fantastic, once I listened Jewel DJ for an hour and play her favorite Elvis songs and tell stories about how his music affected her life and career, pretty cool.
The worst thing can be the poor song selection, playing "Petunia the Gardener's Daughter" or "Do the Clam" does nothing positive for Elvis and anyone who knows anything about the man knows how angry and embarrassed he would be for someone to be playing that trash. Especially on his own property! :evil:
I totally agree with the comments about the 1971 version of "My Way', oh man is it bad and they always want to play it at 9am, really? :roll:

I know this is not nice but as much of a nice guy as I think George Klein probably is he is getting a little senile. Once at 4pm on a Friday he discussed with the Governor of Arkansas Elvis telling a story about Ann Margaret performing oral sex on Elvis on the first date. I was like seriously dude there are kids probably listening to this channel with parents or grandparents could we save that for later, geez.

My knees virtually buckled at the thought of this. :smt004

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm

I usually tune in for part of GK's show on Friday and spot listening on the weekends.
Bottom line, it is a good way to reach the casual fan or younger people looking to discover EP.
Let's face it there is not much play on non satellite radio these days.