Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rehearsals 69-77

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm

We are getting now fantastic material from Don Lance.
Beside that, are there any rehearsals known for sure to be in hands of private collectors or known to be recorded? :D

Best Regards!

Re: Rehearsals 69-77

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 am

Greg1995 wrote:We are getting now fantastic material from Don Lance.
Beside that, are there any rehearsals known for sure to be in hands of private collectors or known to be recorded? :D

Best Regards!

At least one July 1969 RCA Hollywood rehearsal is in private hands, and the owner will apparently not accept any offer to license it for release.

Not even a six-figure offer.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Best Regards!

At least one July 1969 RCA Hollywood rehearsal is in private hands, and the owner will apparently not accept any offer to license it for release.

It's hard not to read things like this and not get annoyed.

I don't care what people say, I have nothing but contempt for people like that. If the owner is that rich that he can afford to turn down 6-figure offers, then I do not buy the usual argument that they keep onto it because they paid a lot of money for it and they want the item to retains its value to them. Because it means that they are obviously so wealthy that this cannot even be an argument. Money is obviously no object for them.

So the only reason they do it is just out of pure selfishness. A desire to have something that nobody else has, that everybody else wants, but you won't let them. A warped sense of control.

There is no logical reason to hold onto a highly sought after tape, that would bring joy to literally thousands of Elvis fans around the world, just for your own selfish desires. They've had their own enjoyment out of it, a few years of having this secret tape that nobody else has heard, now bloody share it with your fellow fans. No doubt you will also get a nice monetary offer from Sony. You can still even own the rights to it, and just lease out the recording for 1 release even. It just doesn't make historical sense to leave it sitting on your shelf for years and years - deteriorating in value and possibly even audio quality - until one day nobody will even care about what once would have been an important historical document to Rock n Roll fans.

Of course, they have no obligation to do anything - it's a free country after all. All I know is I would feel a duty to share it. It's a historical document that should be shared for all to enjoy - simple as that.

Rant over!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 am

Different strokes for different folks.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 am

When the first generation fans are gone..the tape will become more and more worthless..soos it`s just a matter of not so long time..I think...see Little Mama..the 1972 reheasals...etc..

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 am

Ciscoking wrote:When the first generation fans are gone..the tape will become more and more worthless..soos it`s just a matter of not so long time..I think...see Little Mama..the 1972 reheasals...etc..

The tape already is worthless (in the sense that it is not worth a 6 figure amount anymore). If it is an audio cassette or soundboard source it is not suitable for mainstream release (and even if it was, it would not thousands of copies). So it is only suitable for release on FTD. What does an FTD sell? 2000 Copies, something like that? So FTD probably only can offer up to 40k or so (probably less) for a release they will not make any money on. I bet this is a nice amount for all of us though, but if you are selfish enough and have no lack of money...

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Alexander wrote:What does an FTD sell? 2000 Copies, something like that?

Is that near the truth? 2000 copies? Damn, I thought it would have been at least another zero added at the end... :cry:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 am

Rockin_John wrote:

Is that near the truth? 2000 copies? Damn, I thought it would have been at least another zero added at the end... :cry:

If Prince From Another Planet has a first limited run of 5,000 copies. If a mainstream release is released in that volume, it is not hard to imagine a FTD release sells less copies.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 am

Rockin_John wrote:

Stop speculation,..please..state facts or leave it..it just brings confusion..

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 am

It is not speculation I am afraid. The volume of 2000 copies is the volume a dealer told me for worldwide sales of an average FTD. OK, it is not a first hand source (Ernst or Roger) but why would he lie about this volume? In today's economy of music sales it is not even that bad for a collectors label since physical sales of music is in a downfall. I just used the volume to illustrate FTD is not a business that can afford to pay six figure amounts for tapes in private hands.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 am

The figure is nonsense,,be it the one or the other way..tell him.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Sadly the cases of collectors holding onto things is quite common for all kinds of art, whether music, film or painting. How many collectors buy a painting and then hide it away where no-one can see it? The same is certainly true of film - quite how many lost films still exist in private hands is unknown, but each day they are there they are getting more and more worthless and, more importantly, more and more useless as their quality deteriorates.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The figure is nonsense,,be it the one or the other way..tell him.

I once read a figure of 10K..

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 pm

For me a '69 rehearsal would rank with that georgeous film from MSG....tragically in the hands of someone who doesn't want to share it. Time for someone to steal it.....I mean "borrow" it. Time for someone to borrow it for a short while.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Best Regards!

Could you give us more details on this, Doc?
Does this guy have any other amazing stuff like this in his collection?
Is this guy Sherif H?
I reckon Ernst tried to make a deal but failed?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Best Regards!

How sad its my belief this stuff should be put out and heard by the fans... :(