Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

My baby left me.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Just put on the young man big beat box at full blast....My baby left me came storming out the speakers! what a cracking track it still gives me shivers down the spine, reminded me of first discovering Elvis over 40 years ago! Sounds like it was recorded yesterday. so much energy in that one track alone. i love Elvis 50s,60s and 70s but 1956 he never sounded better!!!

Re: My baby left me.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

A powerhouse recording..!!!!!

This and Jailhouse Rock and Treat Me Nice and Don`t Be Cruel.. are my top 50`s recordings..I am getting the goosebumps.

::rocks

Re: My baby left me.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Ciscoking wrote:A powerhouse recording..!!!!!

This and Jailhouse Rock and Treat Me Nice and Don`t Be Cruel.. are my top 50`s recordings..I am getting the goosebumps.

::rocks

Powerhouse recording!.......couldn't have put it better!!!!

Re: My baby left me.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm

50`s heavy metal as only elvis could do it, a couple more that quickly come to mind are;

hard headed woman / big hunk of love

crank these babies up and you will know exactly what I mean...fantastic

Re: My baby left me.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 pm

sweetangeline wrote:50`s heavy metal as only elvis could do it, a couple more that quickly come to mind are;

hard headed woman / big hunk of love

crank these babies up and you will know exactly what I mean...fantastic


I've often thought of several of those songs as a 50's version of heavy metal too. The songs you mentioned were hard-core rock at it's best.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 am

Awesome track. The band was in top form. I love how during the guitar solo DJ drops the snare drum out and plays only on the toms, then back to the snare when the vocal comes back in. There was some good production value going on with this one.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I love this song, Elvis and the band is on fire!

Lennart

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 pm

I have always thought it a bit odd that RCA made this the B-side to I Want You, I Need You, I Love You. My Baby Left Me is the perfect follow up to Heartbreak Hotel and reminiscent of the Sun sound RCA desperately wanted Elvis to recapture for them.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 pm

One of the top 10 records in his career or anyone elses for that matter. I agree. A-side material all the way.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Mike C wrote:I have always thought it a bit odd that RCA made this the B-side to I Want You, I Need You, I Love You. My Baby Left Me is the perfect follow up to Heartbreak Hotel and reminiscent of the Sun sound RCA desperately wanted Elvis to recapture for them.

It seems that Billboard considered "My Baby Left Me" the A-side when reviewing it. Perhaps Elvis' decision to use "I Want You" in his TV appearances caused the record to flip over.

Hill & Range owned the publishing on both sides anyway so they didn't give a damn.

Billboard 12 May 1956.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Never thought of the song as 50s heavy metal or a precursor to heavy metal.

The only Elvis songs that would maybe be a precursor to hard rock or a harder edge sound would be ''Hound dog'' and maybe ''Jailhouse rock''.

''My Baby Left me'' was reminiscent of the Sun records rockabilly sound.

It is a good song.

Re: My baby left me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm

It's briliant