Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm

More than 55 years later, Elvis famous spiral staircase and plummeting down a fire station pole is still inspiring the acts of today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... Elvis.html

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm

All the comments on the site are predictably negative, accusing them of crimes against music etc.

They are a pop band for young girls, just like many who have gone before and many who will follow them. Totally harmless.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 pm

TJ wrote:All the comments on the site are predictably negative, accusing them of crimes against music etc.

They are a pop band for young girls, just like many who have gone before and many who will follow them. Totally harmless.


I agree, and the ironic thing is that they are very good at what they do.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I also can't understand the negative comments this has got from The Sun newspaper.

They are probably the biggest boyband in the world at the moment with millions of fans around the world and this latest video looks pretty good and promotes the early Elvis in a good way.

If their fans see this video its very likely they might show some interest in Elvis which can only be a good thing.

I mean, if the band members were all wearing jumpsuits, wigs and sunglasses then i would understand the uproar from fans but not this video.
Last edited by Bodie on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I think its fantastic for Elvis......... 8) 8)

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 pm

A real credit to Elvis that his work is still being used by newer performers.
One Direction is really a good group. I took my daughters to a concert they gave back in May. I must admit, they are good and despite their ages, they were entertaining.

rlj

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 pm

rlj4ep wrote:A real credit to Elvis that his work is still being used by newer performers.
One Direction is really a good group. I took my daughters to a concert they gave back in May. I must admit, they are good and despite their ages, they were entertaining.

rlj


Is this the group of top musicians where one of them appears to have a dead squirrel on his head?! :smt003

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Tony.. wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:A real credit to Elvis that his work is still being used by newer performers.
One Direction is really a good group. I took my daughters to a concert they gave back in May. I must admit, they are good and despite their ages, they were entertaining.

rlj


Is this the group of top musicians where one of them appears to have a dead squirrel on his head?! :smt003


LOL, not sure about the squirrel, but musically the guys are really good. Of course, I was one of many Dad's among 25,000 screaming teenagers. As I was there I thought was this what is was like to have seen Elvis in the 50's?

rlj

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 pm

One comments says:

"To do this to him is offensive to his importance and memory.Shame on One Direction and whoever thought of this idea to (badly) recreate an iconic music scene.I'm an Elvis fan and this ticks me off, to see this awful industry created "group" try to pick on the bones of Elvis Presley.Elvis was an original. The King Of Rock and Roll.......One Direction is a part of the PROBLEM."

Quite what problem they are a part of I'm really not sure. They seem nice guys to me, completely harmless and quite rightfully having a ball with their fame and fortune. I also dont remember such things being written when Robbie Williams did a similar thing with the opening of the 68 comeback special on his own TV special back in 2002 or 2003. Part of the backlash is as much against Simon Cowell as it is against One Direction, but as I have said in other threads there are many well-known entertainers and singers who started their career on a radio or TV talent show. And, frankly, who cares how they get started providing they do what they do so well. The comments on the Sun website also basically go to show that there are a large number of venomous, hate-filled idiots trawling the web. There is also the irony that the "Elvis fan" clearly missed which is that he is spewing the same ridiculous vitriol as that which was made at Elvis when he first came on the scene.

The issue with groups such as One Direction and singers such as Justin Bieber is that it is seen to be the right thing to do to jump on them, suggest they have no talent whatsoever, will never last, blah blah blah. Whether they last or not is something we will not know as yet - although, to be fair, the average life of a group is normally smaller than that of an individual. However, I would certainly urge their detractors who claim that One Direction and others have no talent to get up on stage and put on the kind of show that such artists put on, and to sing the harmonies etc that such artists sing, and to play the variety of instruments that they play. The same "they won't last" comments were made ten years ago about McFly and twenty-three years ago about Take That, and yet both are still with us and going strong. Just because a group is not aimed at us - or is put together in a way some don't approve of - doesn't mean they should be ridiculed or put down in some form of strange fits of jealousy. If they had no talent they certainly wouldn't have become the sensation that they have across the globe. They may well land up suffering from over-exposure on our TV screens as they seemed to be everywhere during the autumn and, while their music is certainly not aimed at me, I've only ever seen them giving a bad performance once on a TV show (the X-Factor final in December) and confess that I found the ballad they brought out in the autumn to be really quite delightful.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:00 pm

poormadpeter wrote:One comments says:

"To do this to him is offensive to his importance and memory.Shame on One Direction and whoever thought of this idea to (badly) recreate an iconic music scene.I'm an Elvis fan and this ticks me off, to see this awful industry created "group" try to pick on the bones of Elvis Presley.Elvis was an original. The King Of Rock and Roll.......One Direction is a part of the PROBLEM."

Quite what problem they are a part of I'm really not sure. They seem nice guys to me, completely harmless and quite rightfully having a ball with their fame and fortune. I also dont remember such things being written when Robbie Williams did a similar thing with the opening of the 68 comeback special on his own TV special back in 2002 or 2003. Part of the backlash is as much against Simon Cowell as it is against One Direction, but as I have said in other threads there are many well-known entertainers and singers who started their career on a radio or TV talent show. And, frankly, who cares how they get started providing they do what they do so well. The comments on the Sun website also basically go to show that there are a large number of venomous, hate-filled idiots trawling the web. There is also the irony that the "Elvis fan" clearly missed which is that he is spewing the same ridiculous vitriol as that which was made at Elvis when he first came on the scene.

The issue with groups such as One Direction and singers such as Justin Bieber is that it is seen to be the right thing to do to jump on them, suggest they have no talent whatsoever, will never last, blah blah blah. Whether they last or not is something we will not know as yet - although, to be fair, the average life of a group is normally smaller than that of an individual. However, I would certainly urge their detractors who claim that One Direction and others have no talent to get up on stage and put on the kind of show that such artists put on, and to sing the harmonies etc that such artists sing, and to play the variety of instruments that they play. The same "they won't last" comments were made ten years ago about McFly and twenty-three years ago about Take That, and yet both are still with us and going strong. Just because a group is not aimed at us - or is put together in a way some don't approve of - doesn't mean they should be ridiculed or put down in some form of strange fits of jealousy. If they had no talent they certainly wouldn't have become the sensation that they have across the globe. They may well land up suffering from over-exposure on our TV screens as they seemed to be everywhere during the autumn and, while their music is certainly not aimed at me, I've only ever seen them giving a bad performance once on a TV show (the X-Factor final in December) and confess that I found the ballad they brought out in the autumn to be really quite delightful.


I've never seen them perform at all and have no intention to but i wouldn't put them down.

Good luck to them and im sure they are having alot of fun.

The negative comments on The Sun website are from people who just don't get it and quite embarrassing for Elvis fans.

Those comments are very likely going to stop 1D teenage fans from showing any interest in Elvis at all, even turning against Elvis.
They will defend 1D just like Elvis fans would defend Elvis against critics of his legacy.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:One comments says:

"To do this to him is offensive to his importance and memory.Shame on One Direction and whoever thought of this idea to (badly) recreate an iconic music scene.I'm an Elvis fan and this ticks me off, to see this awful industry created "group" try to pick on the bones of Elvis Presley.Elvis was an original. The King Of Rock and Roll.......One Direction is a part of the PROBLEM."

Quite what problem they are a part of I'm really not sure. They seem nice guys to me, completely harmless and quite rightfully having a ball with their fame and fortune. I also dont remember such things being written when Robbie Williams did a similar thing with the opening of the 68 comeback special on his own TV special back in 2002 or 2003. Part of the backlash is as much against Simon Cowell as it is against One Direction, but as I have said in other threads there are many well-known entertainers and singers who started their career on a radio or TV talent show. And, frankly, who cares how they get started providing they do what they do so well. The comments on the Sun website also basically go to show that there are a large number of venomous, hate-filled idiots trawling the web. There is also the irony that the "Elvis fan" clearly missed which is that he is spewing the same ridiculous vitriol as that which was made at Elvis when he first came on the scene.

The issue with groups such as One Direction and singers such as Justin Bieber is that it is seen to be the right thing to do to jump on them, suggest they have no talent whatsoever, will never last, blah blah blah. Whether they last or not is something we will not know as yet - although, to be fair, the average life of a group is normally smaller than that of an individual. However, I would certainly urge their detractors who claim that One Direction and others have no talent to get up on stage and put on the kind of show that such artists put on, and to sing the harmonies etc that such artists sing, and to play the variety of instruments that they play. The same "they won't last" comments were made ten years ago about McFly and twenty-three years ago about Take That, and yet both are still with us and going strong. Just because a group is not aimed at us - or is put together in a way some don't approve of - doesn't mean they should be ridiculed or put down in some form of strange fits of jealousy. If they had no talent they certainly wouldn't have become the sensation that they have across the globe. They may well land up suffering from over-exposure on our TV screens as they seemed to be everywhere during the autumn and, while their music is certainly not aimed at me, I've only ever seen them giving a bad performance once on a TV show (the X-Factor final in December) and confess that I found the ballad they brought out in the autumn to be really quite delightful.

This comment on the Sun page is yet another example of the fanatical, lost in an "Elvis shell" type fan that thinks any little change or forward movement to the music of Elvis Presley is the ultimate artistic blaspheme to his legacy. They even hate the Compact Disc or anything that wasn't used during Elvis' lifetime. These are the type of fans who shouldn't even have Internet access if that's the case, since Elvis didn't have it either.
I just try to ignore their idiocy and let then live in their lost in the 50's, 8-track- LP mental content lives.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 pm

promiseland wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:One comments says:

"To do this to him is offensive to his importance and memory.Shame on One Direction and whoever thought of this idea to (badly) recreate an iconic music scene.I'm an Elvis fan and this ticks me off, to see this awful industry created "group" try to pick on the bones of Elvis Presley.Elvis was an original. The King Of Rock and Roll.......One Direction is a part of the PROBLEM."

Quite what problem they are a part of I'm really not sure. They seem nice guys to me, completely harmless and quite rightfully having a ball with their fame and fortune. I also dont remember such things being written when Robbie Williams did a similar thing with the opening of the 68 comeback special on his own TV special back in 2002 or 2003. Part of the backlash is as much against Simon Cowell as it is against One Direction, but as I have said in other threads there are many well-known entertainers and singers who started their career on a radio or TV talent show. And, frankly, who cares how they get started providing they do what they do so well. The comments on the Sun website also basically go to show that there are a large number of venomous, hate-filled idiots trawling the web. There is also the irony that the "Elvis fan" clearly missed which is that he is spewing the same ridiculous vitriol as that which was made at Elvis when he first came on the scene.

The issue with groups such as One Direction and singers such as Justin Bieber is that it is seen to be the right thing to do to jump on them, suggest they have no talent whatsoever, will never last, blah blah blah. Whether they last or not is something we will not know as yet - although, to be fair, the average life of a group is normally smaller than that of an individual. However, I would certainly urge their detractors who claim that One Direction and others have no talent to get up on stage and put on the kind of show that such artists put on, and to sing the harmonies etc that such artists sing, and to play the variety of instruments that they play. The same "they won't last" comments were made ten years ago about McFly and twenty-three years ago about Take That, and yet both are still with us and going strong. Just because a group is not aimed at us - or is put together in a way some don't approve of - doesn't mean they should be ridiculed or put down in some form of strange fits of jealousy. If they had no talent they certainly wouldn't have become the sensation that they have across the globe. They may well land up suffering from over-exposure on our TV screens as they seemed to be everywhere during the autumn and, while their music is certainly not aimed at me, I've only ever seen them giving a bad performance once on a TV show (the X-Factor final in December) and confess that I found the ballad they brought out in the autumn to be really quite delightful.

This comment on the Sun page is yet another example of the fanatical, lost in an "Elvis shell" type fan that thinks any little change or forward movement to the music of Elvis Presley is the ultimate artistic blaspheme to his legacy. They even hate the Compact Disc or anything that wasn't used during Elvis' lifetime. These are the type of fans who shouldn't even have Internet access if that's the case, since Elvis didn't have it either.
I just try to ignore their idiocy and let then live in their lost in the 50's, 8-track- LP mental content lives.


Is this a roundabout way of admitting that you really like the guitar swingin', drum bashing current boyband that is No Direction???!!! :)

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 am

The only difference is, Elvis looked cool doing it and they look like a bunch a school girls.

But unfortunately it has to result to that in order to help the Elvis legacy going. The only problem is, they are a British boy band. I think there is a more fitting band out there. They have the sailor suits on in the end of that thing. Maybe a Yellow Submarine would be more fitting?

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:The only difference is, Elvis looked cool doing it and they look like a bunch a school girls.

But unfortunately it has to result to that in order to help the Elvis legacy going. The only problem is, they are a British boy band. I think there is a more fitting band out there. They have the sailor suits on in the end of that thing. Maybe a Yellow Submarine would be more fitting?


To youngsters today, no doubt 1D also look cool doing it. Times change and popular culture cannot and should not be stuck in the 1950s. The young have every right to their music and the artists involved.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:38 am

poormadpeter wrote:To youngsters today, no doubt 1D also look cool doing it. Times change and popular culture cannot and should not be stuck in the 1950s. The young have every right to their music and the artists involved.


Well said, Peter! Thanks.

rlj

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:45 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:To youngsters today, no doubt 1D also look cool doing it. Times change and popular culture cannot and should not be stuck in the 1950s. The young have every right to their music and the artists involved.


How true! Many of these Elvis fans are sounding like the critics of Elvis back in the 50s when he first came into the limelight.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:38 am

Jove wrote:More than 55 years later, Elvis famous spiral staircase and plummeting down a fire station pole is still inspiring the acts of today.


Why would there be a fire station pole in a jailhouse?

Chris

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 am

I don't like when other people imitates Elvis :smt018

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 am

Elvisgirl wrote:I don't like when other people imitates Elvis :smt018


It's been said that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. It can be said that over the years entertainers have imitated Elvis in one way or other. I see that as flattery towards Elvis. :wink:

rlj

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 am

I don't get the single minded negative comments. My music tastes are now quite eclectic and span multiple decades, genres, and artists. Although, Elvis continues to remain my top favorite.

I think the video concept is actually pretty cool! :smt023

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:31 am

It is cool. What's wrong with keeping the Elvis idea alive?

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 am

ChrisM wrote:
Jove wrote:More than 55 years later, Elvis famous spiral staircase and plummeting down a fire station pole is still inspiring the acts of today.


Why would there be a fire station pole in a jailhouse?

Chris


The same reason why there is a saxophone and a slide trombone and the guards singing along in a jailhouse. :lol:

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 am

Jove wrote: The same reason why there is a saxophone and a slide trombone and the guards singing along in a jailhouse. :lol:



LOL ::rocks

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:The only difference is, Elvis looked cool doing it and they look like a bunch a school girls.

But unfortunately it has to result to that in order to help the Elvis legacy going. The only problem is, they are a British boy band. I think there is a more fitting band out there. They have the sailor suits on in the end of that thing. Maybe a Yellow Submarine would be more fitting?


To youngsters today, no doubt 1D also look cool doing it. Times change and popular culture cannot and should not be stuck in the 1950s. The young have every right to their music and the artists involved.


But, in my opinion, no one should be allowed to have a recording contract if they mime on stage, can't play any instrument, have no obvious talent or were voted for on a cheaply produced karaoke TV show.

Re: One Direction new video inspired by Elvis

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:The only difference is, Elvis looked cool doing it and they look like a bunch a school girls.

But unfortunately it has to result to that in order to help the Elvis legacy going. The only problem is, they are a British boy band. I think there is a more fitting band out there. They have the sailor suits on in the end of that thing. Maybe a Yellow Submarine would be more fitting?


To youngsters today, no doubt 1D also look cool doing it. Times change and popular culture cannot and should not be stuck in the 1950s. The young have every right to their music and the artists involved.


But, in my opinion, no one should be allowed to have a recording contract if they mime on stage, can't play any instrument, have no obvious talent or were voted for on a cheaply produced karaoke TV show.


Well considering the group in question have yet to mime on any of the occasions I've seen them on tv and 3 can play instruments, that kind of blows your theories out of the water.