Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: LEGACY EDITION For LP Fans Only / A Date With Elvis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 am

The only way I think a release of these would make sense is to release them as vinyl LP's. Original tracklisting, latest remasters and original album cover and label art.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am

bajo wrote:The only way I think a release of these would make sense is to release them as vinyl LP's. Original tracklisting, latest remasters and original album cover and label art.

No retail store would carry the LP's and they would be too expensive elsewhere for the general public to be interested.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Blue River wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I can't see the point of constantly rehashing the same old 'public domain' masters all the time, only in a different running order. I know they were 'original' LP's, but so was "Having fun with Elvis on stage"! Is too much never enough?

A release like this would make the albums available to the general public again at an affordable price, and it could be a way for SONY to officially release the 1955 live recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" as a bonus track on the cd.

As for Having Fun With Elvis On Stage... there's no comparison. The general public isn't gonna' want to hear Elvis if he's not singing.

The 'general public' are not interested in Elvis; "Prince from another planet" has sold under 3,000 copies in the UK - that's an album that was advertised in at least THREE different music magazines and was a sensible price in lovely packaging. You're thinking like it was 40 years ago I'm afraid.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Blue River wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I can't see the point of constantly rehashing the same old 'public domain' masters all the time, only in a different running order. I know they were 'original' LP's, but so was "Having fun with Elvis on stage"! Is too much never enough?

A release like this would make the albums available to the general public again at an affordable price, and it could be a way for SONY to officially release the 1955 live recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" as a bonus track on the cd.

As for Having Fun With Elvis On Stage... there's no comparison. The general public isn't gonna' want to hear Elvis if he's not singing.

The 'general public' are not interested in Elvis; "Prince from another planet" has sold under 3,000 copies in the UK - that's an album that was advertised in at least THREE different music magazines and was a sensible price in lovely packaging. You're thinking like it was 40 years ago I'm afraid.

Yeah, I guess a lot of us Elvis fans are stuck in the 70's... musically speaking. I just thought it would be a good way for Ernst to release the live version of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget".

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Has Ernst acquired the original wire then?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Blue River wrote:
bajo wrote:The only way I think a release of these would make sense is to release them as vinyl LP's. Original tracklisting, latest remasters and original album cover and label art.

No retail store would carry the LP's and they would be too expensive elsewhere for the general public to be interested.

For LP Fans Only is available on vinyl: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001K859RA as is A Date With Elvis: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058NXVA0, both reissued in recent years amongst some other Elvis LPs.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Tony.. wrote:Has Ernst acquired the original wire then?

I don't know, but does he really need the original wire? I thought he said that it became public domain once it was put on YouTube. smt179
Ernst could just turn the table on MRS and use that version.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Blue River wrote:

I don't know, but does he really need the original wire? I thought he said that it became public domain once it was put on YouTube. smt179

That would be a waste of time. A transfer from the actual wire is what we want, not some low-res YouTube sourced audio from a video captured on someone's point-and-shoot digital camera, filming the playback of the wire.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:

... A transfer from the actual wire is what we want...

Yes, that's true.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 am

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:

For LP Fans Only is available on vinyl: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001K859RA as is A Date With Elvis: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058NXVA0, both reissued in recent years amongst some other Elvis LPs.

Are those vinyl LP's true copies of the original US LP's? Same tracklistsings? The UK and US versions of these two titles often get mixed up, and you might end up with the UK versions which contain 14 tracks each and also with different tracks from the originals.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 am

They are not albums I've ever considered buying, in any format, so I do not know.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 am

On itunes they have 'For LP fans Only' and 'A Date with Elvis' utilising the latest re-masters from TCM, with more or less the original US track listing (I Want to be Free is not the EP version, it's the unedited take that seems to be the norm these days - unless you get the FTD Jailhouse Rock releases!) It's probably the closest we'll get, a personal annoyance of mine is that these and Kissin Cousins, Speedway and C'mon Everybody have not been released either in decent sound or anything like their original US album configuration. Man, the sleep I've lost wishing for these things... :wink:

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:58 am

Blue River wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:RCA added some awful echo to the classic songs on these two original releases...

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I would LOVE a Legacy release of these two albums, using the superior masters of the Sun stuff etc ...

Unfortunately, that misses the point of a SONY Legacy release. Which is a good reason why this topic will likely remain fanciful.

MT, is it possible that you're thinking of the "reprocessed from monophonic" releases of these two albums in 1965? Now that's what I would call "awful echo".
I, along with many other Elvis fans, would appreciate the two albums (combined on one disc) reissued with the best possible sound of today.

drjohn, isn't the point of a SONY Legacy Edition also to present past albums with their original track running order accompanied by original artwork?
FOR LP FANS ONLY (1959 album) >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1990-for-lp-fans-only/
A DATE WITH ELVIS (1959 album) >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-2011-a-date-with-elvis/
A Big Hunk O' Love (1959 single) >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/a-big-hunk-o ... came-true/

No, I do not think so. Even if you wree to read the notes on "Elvis At Sun" or the Boy from Tupelo, many of the singles masters, including the Sun sides had added compression and echo for the mono album version. Of course the fake Stereo is an entirely separate issue. The Boy From Tupelo even includes the RCA versions of That's All Right and Blue Moon of Kentucky with the added echo in the mono version. Is It So Strange, the stuff from Jailhouse Rock also had added echo on the mono LP versions.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Blue River wrote:[quote=MT, is it possible that you're thinking of the "reprocessed from monophonic" releases of these two albums in 1965? Now that's what I would call "awful echo".
I, along with many other Elvis fans, would appreciate the two albums (combined on one disc) reissued with the best possible sound of today./

I agree the "reprocessed from monophonic" sound was awful, but RCA "processed" the mono on the original releases of "A Date With Elvis" and "For LP Fans Only," which was a step backwards, IMO, from the original sound. "A Date With Elvis" carried a banner stating "New Golden Age Of Sound." I much prefer Vic and Ernst's work on these classics. It's rare that any studio gimmickry improves the sound Elvis first heard coming from those studio monitors

MT

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

For some reason (though I'm not a huge Elvis '50's fan) I've always really enjoyed these two titles. Would definitely buy a Legacy release if it were to happen.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm

JerryNodak wrote:For some reason (though I'm not a huge Elvis '50s fan) I've always really enjoyed these two titles. Would definitely buy a Legacy release if it were to happen.

From another thread -
poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Elvis' Legacy Edition albums are getting a little late period heavy. Only Elvis Presley and Elvis Is Back! represent his pre-1969 work. 1969 onwards there is From Elvis In Memphis, On Stage, Elvis Country, As Recorded At Madison Square Garden, and soon Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite.
... I do think more of his earlier work needs to be represented. I think the following are reasonable expectations:
Elvis' Golden Records - Disc 1: Volumes 1 & 2, Disc 2: Volumes 3 & 4.

The Golden Records volumes 1-5 have already been issued with bonus track in the original album series, and so i'm not sure what the point of yet another hits collection would be...

I'm favoring my idea of a For LP Fans Only/A Date With Elvis release more and more. :D

FOR LP FANS ONLY (1959 album) >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1990-for-lp-fans-only/
01. Thats All Right
02. Lawdy Miss Clawdy
03. Mystery Train
04. Playing For Keeps
05. Poor Boy
06. My Baby Left Me
07. I Was The One
08. Shake, Rattle And Roll
09. I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
10. You're A Heartbreaker
A DATE WITH ELVIS (1959 album) >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-2011-a-date-with-elvis/
11. Blue Moon Of Kentucky
12. Young And Beautiful
13. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care
14. Milkcow Blues Boogie
15. Baby, Let's Play House
16. Good Rockin' Tonight
17. Is It So Strange
18. We're Gonna Move
19. I Want To Be Free
20. I Forgot To Remember To Forget
The 1959 singles
21. (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
22. I Need Your Love Tonight
23. A Big Hunk O' Love >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/a-big-hunk-o ... came-true/
24. My Wish Came True
Bonus songs
25. I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
26. I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone (slow version)
27. I Forgot To Remember To Forget (unreleased live recording - 1955)