Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:12 am

Are you referring to the "snow writing" incident? LOL

Also, seeing the list of photographers has jogged my memory..the out of focus Super 8 footage in circulation was filmed by Ken White for sure.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Do you think we will ever see a decent transfer from all the super 8 stuff?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Ricky wrote:Never heard the cousin story. With such great photos and memories, this would make a good pictorial booklet for any collection.If someone goes there, please let me know. I'd love to contribute what I saw there and at the hotel that day/night!

This would be a spectacular release. Book, DVD and CD. What's stopping you guys? (Greybeard, Ricky and the others that went that night).

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm

The energy level of this show was high, looking at the movies, listening at the several audiosources.
Elvis was outstanding (to me) at this concert, in full control and above all: he was a entertainer doing what he loved the most: singing.

Don't know where this pic comes from, but it's cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Greybeard wrote:My first generation copy/ real time dub I got from JH in 1977 sounds simply incredible. I must have stored it better than the original was stored although I know the original was kept in a climate controlled room for decades. My personal CD copy from my tape sounds really awesome... in fact it was the source used for the demo which eventually led to the FTD. Unfortunately no one asked for my copy (understandably) they used the original master. I cannot for sure state that the noises are in the master tape or are mastering error made during production.

Out of respect for FTD/ Ernst etc I have not offered anyone a copy of it in the decade that has past since the FTD came out. I feel it wouldn't be right to do so.

I really respect you for this, Greybeard. But at the same time - isn't it a shame we still haven't had a definitive release of this great, great concert? FTD didn't do a good job with that release...

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Is there a soundboard of this concert? I didn't buy the FTD of this as I read the bad reviews of the mastering and already owned the vinyl.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:49 pm

JohanD wrote:The energy level of this show was high, looking at the movies, listening at the several audiosources.
Elvis was outstanding (to me) at this concert, in full control and above all: he was a entertainer doing what he loved the most: singing.

Don't know where this pic comes from, but it's cool.

That's a cool shot.
Weirdo Briggs didn't even bother to hang his coat backstage! :wink:

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I visites Jürgen Keiwert once in the 90ies. He told me he had the soundboard of the show and that it sounded great. I know years later there was a rumor that his collection was impounded by the police because of blootlegging and that they distroyed everything. Hope not.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I visited Jürgen Keilwert (the guy behind Diamond Aniversary) once in the 90ies. He told me he had the soundboard of the show and that it sounded great. I know years later there was a rumor that his collection was impounded by the police because of blootlegging and that they distroyed everything. Hope not.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Wiebe wrote:I visited Jürgen Keilwert (the guy behind Diamond Aniversary) once in the 90ies. He told me he had the soundboard of the show and that it sounded great. I know years later there was a rumor that his collection was impounded by the police because of blootlegging and that they distroyed everything. Hope not.

There still has to be an original source..
Bruce Jackson once said he kept tapes of special shows and somehow I've got the feeling that a tape of this show must be in his collection.
I have no clue if Ernst is in contact with his family.

Got to say however that we have 3 great sounding sources so we're OK for the time being don't we?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:31 pm

All I have is the original album, the CD taken from that album, and FTD. All of them are the same source. How can I get the other ones?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Wiebe wrote:All I have is the original album, the CD taken from that album, and FTD. All of them are the same source. How can I get the other ones?

One of the others is the Rags To Riches import.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:50 pm

elvisjock wrote:Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)

Thank you very much for sharing

Is this Bobby Jane?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)

Is this Bobby Jane?

Yes, I think so.

Apologies for the orientation of the magazine pages. Download them and rotate to your heart's content.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Here is an item that is in a collection I am selling for John Herman- one disc of his test pressing of that historic NYE LP set-notice the handwritten notes from Sam Theaker on upcoming release ideas. Very rare- very cool. I only have this disc here at my location- I believe the other disc still is in the Herman collection. I will attempt to re unite them in a short while. I am entertaining (only serious) offers on this rare iconic bit of history.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Was the double album released before Elvis' death?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:07 pm

From a Elvis Monthly 1977

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm

From "The Strictly Elvis Generation," Issue 11, February 1977:

"The Pittsburgh New Year's Eve show has received nothing but raves. Elvis was on stage two hours, played the guitar through many songs to prove he could do it. From the several sources we heard from, he has lost all the excess poundage, and was in a laughing, jovial, happy mood complete with karate, and even laid down on the floor at one point with both feet in the air!"

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Clarification on the cousin, from "Revelations of the Memphis Mafia":

Billy Smith: "I think one reason Elvis wanted me with him all the time had to do with my brother, Bobby. Elvis still had some guilt about that. Also, in '76, he lost another cousin that he had been close to growing up - Bobbie Jane Wren. Her parents were Lillian Smith, who was Gladys's and my daddy's sister, and Charles Mann. Anyway, Bobbie Jane committed suicide, at thirty-eight. It hurt to have to tell Elvis. We were on tour. I waited 'til after the show that night. By then, so many of the relatives had died. Elvis took it hard. He said, "I'd just as soon go myself as to have to see anybody else in the family die."

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 pm

It was actually in production shortly after the event...this test pressing was sent for Herman to hear. John has told me that he actually took a finished copy (could have been pre-release) with artwork finished to a show on the road (possibly Feb tour or more likely the June tour) and played it for some tour members. Felton heard it and asked if he could show it to Elvis. John agreed and gave him the set.

Elvis saw it and was amused at it until he saw the fictitious names on the cover. If memory serves me they (The producers) used The Pirate & The Devil, I believe they said. Elvis saw that Devil comment and threw the disc down to the floor and stomped his foot on it. He became upset at this time.

I have a sealed copy of this autographed by John Herman recently and will try to post a picture of that later today.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 am

I love this concert and everything about it.This was the first ever bootleg I ever heard. A friend of mine had a cassette that someone had taped from the vinyl album and given to him. He loaned me the cassette and I made a copy for myself, and back in the early 80's the sound quality you got when copying from tape to tape left a lot to be desired to say the least. But despite all the hiss and rumble on my little old cassette,I played it constantly. I hadn't at that point seen any footage or photos from the show so when listening I tried to picture in my mind Elvis commanding the stage and imagining what it would be like to actually be there. So this recording has great memories for me.
Incidentally,I Got A Woman ROCKS!! Is this the only occasion where he did the "She's there to love me..." part twice?? Love James's guitar licks during the repeat! I'm not a big fan of the '76-'77 versions of I Got A Woman/Amen, but this version I really do enjoy.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 am

Ricky wrote:
img022.jpg

Greybeard, the sound was great. I wasn't a great photographer, I was just learning @ 17. I didn't always stay in my seat either :lol:

Nice shot Ricky!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 am

Greybeard wrote:

It was actually in production shortly after the event...this test pressing was sent for Herman to hear. John has told me that he actually took a finished copy (could have been pre-release) with artwork finished to a show on the road (possibly Feb tour or more likely the June tour) and played it for some tour members. Felton heard it and asked if he could show it to Elvis. John agreed and gave him the set.

Elvis saw it and was amused at it until he saw the fictitious names on the cover. If memory serves me they (The producers) used The Pirate & The Devil, I believe they said. Elvis saw that Devil comment and threw the disc down to the floor and stomped his foot on it. He became upset at this time.

I have a sealed copy of this autographed by John Herman recently and will try to post a picture of that later today.

Wow - that's a great story about Elvis actually seeing the album himself! I had heard the part about Elvis stomping his foot on a bootleg album, but never knew it was the Pittsburgh record.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Is this Bobby Jane?

that bobby died, could that be why elvis changed so much between December 31 1976 and February 12 1977??