Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Here are some more pictures from Pittsburgh -31 /12 / 76 -
Dedicated To Polk Salad Andy , Elvis Girl , Ian And To All Members
Enjoy Y'all
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 am

elvisjock wrote:That's three times that he told the band to slow down. Big Boss Man, Fairytale ("Slow it down. SLOW IT DOWN."), Little Sister. It wasn't always Elvis who rushed.

The band isn't to blame, the tempos were as Elvis wanted them to be, unless he changed his mind on the spot, as he did on 12-31-1976.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 am

Here are a couple totally unseen images from Pittsburgh...I have watermarked and lowered the resolution so all can enjoy them.The second one is within a few seconds of the shot John took which appeared on the original boot LP se.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 am

What's currently the best source for this show? I spent some time listening to the FTD last night and the crackling sound is really annoying. I understand this noise is only on the FTD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:23 am

My first generation copy/ real time dub I got from JH in 1977 sounds simply incredible. I must have stored it better than the original was stored although I know the original was kept in a climate controlled room for decades. My personal CD copy from my tape sounds really awesome... in fact it was the source used for the demo which eventually led to the FTD. Unfortunately no one asked for my copy (understandably) they used the original master. I cannot for sure state that the noises are in the master tape or are mastering error made during production.

Out of respect for FTD/ Ernst etc I have not offered anyone a copy of it in the decade that has past since the FTD came out. I feel it wouldn't be right to do so.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 am

Greybeard wrote:My first generation copy/ real time dub I got from JH in 1977 sounds simply incredible. I must have stored it better than the original was stored although I know the original was kept in a climate controlled room for decades. My personal CD copy from my tape sounds really awesome... in fact it was the source used for the demo which eventually led to the FTD. Unfortunately no one asked for my copy (understandably) they used the original master. I cannot for sure state that the noises are in the master tape or are mastering error made during production.

Out of respect for FTD/ Ernst etc I have not offered anyone a copy of it in the decade that has past since the FTD came out. I feel it wouldn't be right to do so.

Maybe Ernst could do a re-release upgrade just like the "Girl Happy" issue.
Only this time include a second DVD disc with the best footage from the show.

This COULD be a great release.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

Ernst should Get the NYE footage remastered and blow everybody away with a FTD release. That'd be great..

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 pm

That would immediately be my favorite FTD release.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 pm

December 31, 1976 is the true last great concert (outside of May 24, 1977) and there is enough footage out there to warrant an official DVD and a remaster of the 2002/2003 FTD.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

img022.jpg

Greybeard, the sound was great. I wasn't a great photographer, I was just learning @ 17. I didn't always stay in my seat either :lol:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Great stuff Greybeard, thanks for all the info and photos.
I do love this concert.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you very much..really..fantastic !!!!

::rocks

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Ricky wrote:
img022.jpg

Greybeard, the sound was great. I wasn't a great photographer, I was just learning @ 17. I didn't always stay in my seat either :lol:

That's a cool shot.
I started playing bass one year ago and of course, Jerry was the right guy for the job at the time and inspiration to me.

I can assure you all that I will never be on his level, and that there's no difference right now between me playing or the sound of a heavy car crash.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Robert wrote:I can assure you all that I will never be on his level.

Oh, come on....

I'll bet you're damn close!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Great Topic Thank you for sharing

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Here's my modest contribution to this nice thread. I've been trying to figure out which photographers were present at this show, and here's what I've come up with:

Bob Heis

Tom Loomis

Steve Toli

Ken White

John Herman
(this might actually be a Heis photo?)

and finally one whose photos I'd love to see more of in good quality:

Jim Morris

With some many photographers present it was to be expected that some of them would capture the exact same moments, as has happened here with Heis and Morris. :)

Still there are a lot of photos which I can't attribute to any specific photographer. For example, who took the two below? And can anyone think of any other (known) photographers that might have been present?

And finally, is the only review for this show the one by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette?

Image Image

Wow, this post turned out to have more questions than answers... :)
Last edited by Tom Wilson on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm

At what point in the show did EP sit on that speaker?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:58 pm

The evening was overshadowed by the fact that Elvis lost a dear friend.
Does someone has some more information about it?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:39 pm

great thread a great night and the pictures tell the story!~ :lol:

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

thermoking wrote:The evening was overshadowed by the fact that Elvis lost a dear friend.
Does someone has some more information about it?

His cousin died that night. If memory serves, she committed suicide. Elvis wasn't told until after the show. Bobbie Jane was her name. I believe her last name was Wrenn.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Is that the same cousin who gave Elvis one of his '74 two piece leather suits? Bruce Jackson recalled this night to me: he said Elvis rode on the tour bus that night after the show (I think they were on their way to a NYE's restaurant, or at least that may have beeen the intention), but delayed its departure because he was talking with Bruce (and his Australian girlfriend at the time who was from Mt Colah, NSW) about numerology. Bruce wasn't in to numerology! I can imagine Elvis getting really passionate about the subject matter and Bruce nodding his head in politeness.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 am

I believe it was the same cousin. She appears in photos shot at the Stax sessions in '73, and elsewhere (Elvis is wearing his rainbow fringe outfit in some of the others.)

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 am

Never heard the cousin story. With such great photos and memories, this would make a good pictorial booklet for any collection.If someone goes there, please let me know. I'd love to contribute what I saw there and at the hotel that day/night!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 am

Come on, don't lead us on: what happened at the hotel?