Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Re: Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Post by elvisjock »

Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Wiebe wrote:All I have is the original album, the CD taken from that album, and FTD. All of them are the same source. How can I get the other ones?
One of the others is the Rags To Riches import.

stayawayjoe001
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

elvisjock wrote:Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)
Thank you very much for sharing

Is this Bobby Jane?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Here's some background on the death of Elvis' cousin, as well as a behind the scenes look at his time in Pittsburgh. (Source: Elvis The Record, Jan-Feb 1980.)

Is this Bobby Jane?
Yes, I think so.

Apologies for the orientation of the magazine pages. Download them and rotate to your heart's content.

Greybeard
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Greybeard »

Here is an item that is in a collection I am selling for John Herman- one disc of his test pressing of that historic NYE LP set-notice the handwritten notes from Sam Theaker on upcoming release ideas. Very rare- very cool. I only have this disc here at my location- I believe the other disc still is in the Herman collection. I will attempt to re unite them in a short while. I am entertaining (only serious) offers on this rare iconic bit of history.

Greybeard

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Was the double album released before Elvis' death?

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

From a Elvis Monthly 1977

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

From "The Strictly Elvis Generation," Issue 11, February 1977:

"The Pittsburgh New Year's Eve show has received nothing but raves. Elvis was on stage two hours, played the guitar through many songs to prove he could do it. From the several sources we heard from, he has lost all the excess poundage, and was in a laughing, jovial, happy mood complete with karate, and even laid down on the floor at one point with both feet in the air!"

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Clarification on the cousin, from "Revelations of the Memphis Mafia":

Billy Smith: "I think one reason Elvis wanted me with him all the time had to do with my brother, Bobby. Elvis still had some guilt about that. Also, in '76, he lost another cousin that he had been close to growing up - Bobbie Jane Wren. Her parents were Lillian Smith, who was Gladys's and my daddy's sister, and Charles Mann. Anyway, Bobbie Jane committed suicide, at thirty-eight. It hurt to have to tell Elvis. We were on tour. I waited 'til after the show that night. By then, so many of the relatives had died. Elvis took it hard. He said, "I'd just as soon go myself as to have to see anybody else in the family die."

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It was actually in production shortly after the event...this test pressing was sent for Herman to hear. John has told me that he actually took a finished copy (could have been pre-release) with artwork finished to a show on the road (possibly Feb tour or more likely the June tour) and played it for some tour members. Felton heard it and asked if he could show it to Elvis. John agreed and gave him the set.

Elvis saw it and was amused at it until he saw the fictitious names on the cover. If memory serves me they (The producers) used The Pirate & The Devil, I believe they said. Elvis saw that Devil comment and threw the disc down to the floor and stomped his foot on it. He became upset at this time.

I have a sealed copy of this autographed by John Herman recently and will try to post a picture of that later today.

Greybeard

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

I love this concert and everything about it.This was the first ever bootleg I ever heard. A friend of mine had a cassette that someone had taped from the vinyl album and given to him. He loaned me the cassette and I made a copy for myself, and back in the early 80's the sound quality you got when copying from tape to tape left a lot to be desired to say the least. But despite all the hiss and rumble on my little old cassette,I played it constantly. I hadn't at that point seen any footage or photos from the show so when listening I tried to picture in my mind Elvis commanding the stage and imagining what it would be like to actually be there. So this recording has great memories for me.
Incidentally,I Got A Woman ROCKS!! Is this the only occasion where he did the "She's there to love me..." part twice?? Love James's guitar licks during the repeat! I'm not a big fan of the '76-'77 versions of I Got A Woman/Amen, but this version I really do enjoy.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Ricky wrote:
img022.jpg
Greybeard, the sound was great. I wasn't a great photographer, I was just learning @ 17. I didn't always stay in my seat either :lol:
Nice shot Ricky!

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Greybeard wrote:
It was actually in production shortly after the event...this test pressing was sent for Herman to hear. John has told me that he actually took a finished copy (could have been pre-release) with artwork finished to a show on the road (possibly Feb tour or more likely the June tour) and played it for some tour members. Felton heard it and asked if he could show it to Elvis. John agreed and gave him the set.

Elvis saw it and was amused at it until he saw the fictitious names on the cover. If memory serves me they (The producers) used The Pirate & The Devil, I believe they said. Elvis saw that Devil comment and threw the disc down to the floor and stomped his foot on it. He became upset at this time.

I have a sealed copy of this autographed by John Herman recently and will try to post a picture of that later today.
Wow - that's a great story about Elvis actually seeing the album himself! I had heard the part about Elvis stomping his foot on a bootleg album, but never knew it was the Pittsburgh record.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Is this Bobby Jane?
that bobby died, could that be why elvis changed so much between December 31 1976 and February 12 1977??

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Elvis' up and down relationship with Ginger was a more likely underlying issue.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Jim Dandy wrote:Come on, don't lead us on: what happened at the hotel?
Jim, here's a copy of an old thread.

Ironically, this story begins with Anne Williams, former Sweet Inspiration from 1969 and 1970. It turned out her mother lived across town and a friend’s mother knew Anne. I remember a light blue jumpsuit belt hanging on the wall, a real earlier one with very little studs. But she told some great stories like the time the Sweets gave Elvis a live turtle for his birthday, painted in multi colors. I told her me and two buddies were flying to Pittsburgh for NYE, could she get us in to meet Elvis. She wrote Elvis a letter and asked me to deliver to him personally. The letter was about her concern for his health.

After we arrived at the Hilton, we tried to get off on Elvis’ floor. Wasn’t going to happen. Ed Parker was in the elevator with us. I recognized him from my karate magazines and asked him if he was Elvis bodyguard. Yes, of course was his reply, but he wouldn't let us off the elevator when the door opened. So we called Anne long distance and she called the Sweets. Sadly, they told her that it was rare if they even saw Elvis off stage and couldn’t help. Anne called back to apologize and sent us to their room to deliver the letter. Myrna answer the door and politely told us the same thing. Damn!

We decided to check out the hotel. We took a freight elevator that emptied out to a dark kitchen that led out to an underground parking garage and there parked was a limo. We were certain this was were he would leave from. So we headed upstairs for lunch. Seated just in front of us was Colonel Parker and I think Jerry Schilling. Don’t ask me why we didn’t go over there. For some reason I remember being so intimidated. The lobby was filled with people, JD Sumner, Ed Parker and of course Jim Curtin. I remember JD letting me touch his TCB necklace, I had never seen diamonds running down the bolt before. I asked him if I could have it and he replied deeply,” I don’t think so”!

Later that night we returned to the garage. Someone in the lobby has said there was no way Elvis was going to still be on stage at midnight. So the later it got the more worried we’d miss the show. I think we waited till 9:00 p.m. and gave up and took a cab to the arena. At fan club meeting months later, I saw pictures of Elvis arriving in that very garage. Damn!

You guessed it, the show started unusually late. It was so cold in that building. The flooring evidently covered the ice needed for the hockey games, but at least they sold beer. Elvis came out the curtain backstage center. I was sitting in the section directly behind the piano. Sitting next to the piano player was little Lisa, wearing a brown fur coat and a beautiful woman who I yelled out “Priscilla”!! Turns out of course it was Ginger. As the CD goes, it was a great show! My best moment was being so close when he sat down to play Rags to Riches. I remember the show being so long at the time. But he looked great, compared to that past August 1st in Hampton Va. I thought it was going to be a great year.

After the show, the snow had fallen significantly. We tried to get a cab, it was taking forever. So we ran, on foot, back to the Hilton at about 2:00 am. I was frozen. Several members of the band was in the lobby but we called it a night. The next day, from the 17th floor, we could see where someone had stamped out in the snow…F*#k You Pat… I read in a book later, that it was one of the guys in the orchestra. We took the elevator to Elvis’ floor. There were empty champagne bottles and room service trays everywhere in the hall.
But everyone was gone. Sorry if I rambled on. Every time you guys bring up NYE the memories flood back. My wife hated that album. I’d play it every year on NYE and tell the same old stories.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Ricky wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Come on, don't lead us on: what happened at the hotel?
Jim, here's a copy of an old thread.

Ironically, this story begins with Anne Williams, former Sweet Inspiration from 1969 and 1970. It turned out her mother lived across town and a friend’s mother knew Anne. I remember a light blue jumpsuit belt hanging on the wall, a real earlier one with very little studs. But she told some great stories like the time the Sweets gave Elvis a live turtle for his birthday, painted in multi colors. I told her me and two buddies were flying to Pittsburgh for NYE, could she get us in to meet Elvis. She wrote Elvis a letter and asked me to deliver to him personally. The letter was about her concern for his health.

After we arrived at the Hilton, we tried to get off on Elvis’ floor. Wasn’t going to happen. Ed Parker was in the elevator with us. I recognized him from my karate magazines and asked him if he was Elvis bodyguard. Yes, of course was his reply, but he wouldn't let us off the elevator when the door opened. So we called Anne long distance and she called the Sweets. Sadly, they told her that it was rare if they even saw Elvis off stage and couldn’t help. Anne called back to apologize and sent us to their room to deliver the letter. Myrna answer the door and politely told us the same thing. Damn!

We decided to check out the hotel. We took a freight elevator that emptied out to a dark kitchen that led out to an underground parking garage and there parked was a limo. We were certain this was were he would leave from. So we headed upstairs for lunch. Seated just in front of us was Colonel Parker and I think Jerry Schilling. Don’t ask me why we didn’t go over there. For some reason I remember being so intimidated. The lobby was filled with people, JD Sumner, Ed Parker and of course Jim Curtin. I remember JD letting me touch his TCB necklace, I had never seen diamonds running down the bolt before. I asked him if I could have it and he replied deeply,” I don’t think so”!

Later that night we returned to the garage. Someone in the lobby has said there was no way Elvis was going to still be on stage at midnight. So the later it got the more worried we’d miss the show. I think we waited till 9:00 p.m. and gave up and took a cab to the arena. At fan club meeting months later, I saw pictures of Elvis arriving in that very garage. Damn!

You guessed it, the show started unusually late. It was so cold in that building. The flooring evidently covered the ice needed for the hockey games, but at least they sold beer. Elvis came out the curtain backstage center. I was sitting in the section directly behind the piano. Sitting next to the piano player was little Lisa, wearing a brown fur coat and a beautiful woman who I yelled out “Priscilla”!! Turns out of course it was Ginger. As the CD goes, it was a great show! My best moment was being so close when he sat down to play Rags to Riches. I remember the show being so long at the time. But he looked great, compared to that past August 1st in Hampton Va. I thought it was going to be a great year.

After the show, the snow had fallen significantly. We tried to get a cab, it was taking forever. So we ran, on foot, back to the Hilton at about 2:00 am. I was frozen. Several members of the band was in the lobby but we called it a night. The next day, from the 17th floor, we could see where someone had stamped out in the snow…F*#k You Pat… I read in a book later, that it was one of the guys in the orchestra. We took the elevator to Elvis’ floor. There were empty champagne bottles and room service trays everywhere in the hall.
But everyone was gone. Sorry if I rambled on. Every time you guys bring up NYE the memories flood back. My wife hated that album. I’d play it every year on NYE and tell the same old stories.

For a moment Ricky, I felt being there too!
Great story telling..

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Thank you sir!

ep2
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by ep2 »

not so strange elvis couln't be saved......if he gave such great concert and few months later he is dead......who is going to tell this men he is was giving a bad performance if he was so fantastic on new years eve

paulsweeney

Post by paulsweeney »

Great story Ricky!

paulsweeney

Post by paulsweeney »

How does this look Ricky?

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

I found these in my photo archive

ep35
Banned - Multiple User Names
Banned - Multiple User Names
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by ep35 »

I listen to this concert often and especially on New Year's Eve day before I go out at night. Puts me right in the mood. Elvis sure was as he said, "New Year's Eve, I could take it!"
He looked much slimmer and he was just overall, more on top of his singing. He had an inertia about him that night which hadn't been seen in a while! He got it back, and I feel that it really started in the mediocre but decent sounding Chicago concert of October, 1976. Despite many people saying he seemed not to sing well in Vegas, I feel he was becoming less of a mess on stage and gaining back some control. Not to mention, he lost a lot of weight by December. Must have something to do with it, I would think...
It built up and up until Dec. 27 in Kansas and finally through the rest of the tour. Too bad it didn't last through 1977. How could he slip so fast? Did he just sit around Graceland, and do nothing but become depressed? How sad...
But, I like that he looked much healthier at the end of 1976 and most of all, his eyes looked more awake. That, to me is the biggest indicator. Did he take more naps before singing or something? As if he didn't sleep during the day already...lol :smt003

brad
Registered for: 19 years

Post by brad »

This is a great thread!! Here's my meager 2 cents; This show has always been a big topic (bone of contention) in my family because we DID NOT go. I tried every trick/beg/steal and borrow to get to this one, but my Dad, being from the heart of West Virginia hated to drive in Pittsburgh (still today) and "defiantly Not on NYE!"

John sent me a cassette of the show that I received on Feb. 2, 1977. I was blown away...what a show! My first impression of listening to the FTD version was; Wow...they used a 20 year old tape to make the FTD and I was lucky enough to hear a better sounding 2nd generation cassette in '77. Of course my cassette is also now 30 years old...and I played it to death till I got the Bootleg.

Also...a bit about 8mm camera focus...

I shot a bunch of 8mm through the 80's, and stop doing it because of the hassle of getting caught (got thrown out of a Charlie Daniels concert for filming). As Greybeard said, you are "working" the show...even though you have a one-a-kind souvenir after the fact...you miss the IN THE MOMENT of the concert. I don't know what everyone used on NYE at Elvis' concert, but of the 2 8mm cameras I had, what you saw through the view finder/eye piece was NOT what was being captured on film through the lens. You could not tell if you were in focus or NOT...it had settings, 2 ft, 4 ft, 8ft etc...and infinity. Anything closer than 2 ft was blurry...in a concert situation you most like had to shoot on infinity...anything else and your film would have been out of focus, and there was no way of knowing until it was develop a week later. It was also a poorly designed "rolling focus" so if you sat the camera on you lap or it was bumped, your focus was off.

Thanks to everyone who up loaded photos to this thread, I thought I had everything from this show...but there are some great "new to me" shots here!!!!!

SIDE BAR #1
I talked to John on August 6, 1977 and I remember him telling me that, "Elvis was well rested after being off since June and the tour will be great!" As we had tickets to Huntington in Sept. (I remember these dates because I kept a journal).

SIDE BAR #2
Sorry I'm starting to ramble now like an old man...but I'm turning 50 next week and just for fun I wondered how many shows I saw at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena before it was torn down...turns out (counting 2 Hockey games and 2 Ringling Brothers) Ironically, I saw 50 (out of 308 concerts to date) shows at the arena. Starting with Elvis in 1973 and ending with Springsteen in 2008. (I still have all the ticket stubs).

elvis63

Post by elvis63 »

Here's a bit of an interesting (to me) aside - my story of how I first heard this particular show. Back in the summer of 1984, our local country radio station began playing one Elvis concert every Friday night for the month of June. I don't remember how I heard about it, but I remember being so excited. I had just gotten a portable tape player (a "boom box" to use the 80's vernacular) and I planned on recording each and every show that the station planned on airing. They didn't mention which shows they would be playing beforehand, either, so each week was a surprise to me.

Some background: I was 13 at the time and had been an Elvis fan since I was about 6, but never had actually bought myself any albums or cassettes. The only ones I had were my sister’s that she left at home when she went into the Army. She only left a few, and most were posthumous budget re-releases (my sister was 15 years older than I was and had many Elvis albums from during his lifetime – she even saw him in concert twice (1972 and 1974) but those albums were stored somewhere else). Thus, I had things like “Mahalo from Elvis” and “Double Dynamite” to listen to, as well as a few 8-tracks (the 1973 Brookville compilation “Elvis”, “Elvis’ Golden Records 4” are two that come to mind). I also had the “G.I. Blues” soundtrack for some reason. Not much of a selection, but beggars can’t be choosers! Thus, it was really exciting to me to be able to record Elvis concerts off the radio!

I actually think I only found out about the first show by accident. I must have had the station on and heard that an Elvis show was coming up. I'm pretty sure it took me by surprise as I had to record the show on a professional cassette that my sister had lying around (it was the soundtrack to “The Sting” if I recall correctly). I did the trick of taping over the cutouts on the top of the tape in order to record over it. The first show they played was the ’68 Special – they played the entire soundtrack. I was so excited as I didn’t have the soundtrack although I had seen the show on TV. Once it was over the station announced they’d be playing another Elvis show every Friday through June. I rushed out to K-Mart and bought some cheap cassettes (using my paper route money) and waited for the next show.

Once the last show in June was aired, the station played Elvis songs for another hour, then announced that they’d gotten a bunch of calls and letters about the Elvis shows and said if they got enough replies they’d do it again in July! Needless to say, I was thrilled! That summer I taped 8 Elvis shows and still have all of those tapes today – just thinking about them brings back a lot of memories of sitting in my room at 10Pm on a Friday night, windows open to let in the cool evening breeze, making sure my radio was tuned in properly and the tape was going. I remember once accidentally tuning too much and moving from the Elvis show to Elton John singing “Sad Songs” for a few seconds until I got the proper station back. Those tapes were a Godsend to a kid with no money to actually buy albums and who recorded Elvis records from the local library. I took then with me everywhere, and remember having to splice a couple of them when they snapped because they got caught in my tape player. I spent much time opening up the tape cases and carefully rewinding the tape back onto the spools.

For some reason, I can only remember 7 of the 8 shows they played. The shows covered were (not in any particular order):
’68 Special
Live on Stage in Memphis
In Person at the International
On Stage
1961 Pearl Harbor Show
Aloha (sides 1 and 4 of the LP set, I think)
Pittsburgh ’76 (sides 1 and 4 of the double LP)

I cannot recall the last show, but I do know it was NOT Elvis in Concert and I don’t think it was Madison Square Garden, but it might have been. It might also have been the 1975 show off of Elvis Aron Presley, but that doesn’t seem right, either. I’ll have to dig out my old tapes and figure it out!

As for Pittsburgh ’76, this was the first time I’d ever heard this show, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I remember not playing the tape much after that. I don’t know why, but I also didn’t play the ’68 Special much, either (for some reason, I seem to remember I didn’t like the switching between the in the round portion and the musical segments – I still rarely listen to the ’68 Special album today). As a kid, I remember thinking that the 2001 intro sounded funny with the extra instrumentation, and I laughed at the “C’mon Elvis!” and “Isn’t he beautiful?” comments from the audience.

Having never heard the show before, I had no idea it was from a double LP, so consequently I didn’t know that half of the show was missing until a few years later when I got my first job. I was working at a pizza place and one of my bosses was a big bootleg trader. He dealt mostly with heavy metal, but he did have a few other types of artists, including one show by Elvis, which turned out to be Pittsburgh ’76. I asked him for a copy and he gave me one, and it was then I heard the rest of the show. My memories are hazy as to what I thought of the show itself, but I do remember thinking just how cool it was to have an Elvis recording I couldn’t get in the stores!

Looking back now, to me, being a young Elvis fan in the 80’s was a tough time. I recall being very afraid to even mention that I liked Elvis for fear of ridicule. It seemed all people ever talked about then was “Fat Elvis in a jumpsuit” – not knowing any better, comments like that made me somewhat afraid to even listen to Elvis post-1973. However, I eventually overcame that and make my own judgments about Elvis’ post-1973 period. It’s one life lesson I have always taken to heart: do research, learn from primary sources when possible, listen to the evidence (or view it) and make up your own mind. Don’t just go by what people might say. That’s a lesson I took from being a young Elvis fan that I have applied in all areas of my life.

But enough rambling – that’s my story of how I first came to hear Elvis’ Pittsburgh ’76 show.
Last edited by elvis63 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.