Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Post by Robert »

Ricky wrote:I agree with Greystoke, tongue in cheek was the mood. I was sitting behind Elvis, right behind the piano. In fact I had a great view of Ginger and Lisa as well. This interaction prompted me to yell "Sing Rags to Riches" later in Charlotte, NC on 2/21/77. His answer, "I'll get to it". I was just happy he heard me!

Ricky, how was the sound behind the stage?
I once had a email conversation with the late and great bruce Jackson and of course he mentioned they had 360 degrees sound coverage, but I read quite some articles where I got the impression the sound behind the stage was usually less.
Or were you close enough to pick up the sound coming right from the stage?
Being in the upper level, behind the stage wasn't the greatest place I guess..

But still better than us watching 'out of focus' 8mm film decades later :wink:

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

Yes to all of you saying how much more electrifying a concert could be than what is conveyed on a soundboard or an AR. Nothing will ever compare to the Minneapolis show I saw in November, 1971, and even the October, 1976 show in Minneapolis that FTD released was far more satisfying than the soundboard revealed.

Also, as Greybeard wrote, a bad concert that just made you feel sad can kind of come across as average on an AR. Greybeard mentioned Philly from 1977 and I can add St. Paul from April 1977. I've had a number of discussions here with people that think, from listening to the AR, that it was a good show. It was not.

Not seeing Elvis' face at the New Year's Eve show, I was one that thought Elvis was momentarily testy with the woman who shouted, "Play it." This concert would have been breathtaking to have seen live that evening. WOW!

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by karlos »

Here are some more pictures from December 31st 76 -
Also known as New years eve show of '76 -
Enjoy - ''Ian''
(ty buddy for liking my pic on earlier post )
And All Fans on forum -
Love em all - ::rocks :smt007 :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greybeard
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Greybeard »

The sound at most all of the shows I saw was interesting and top notch. The stage held only monitors and amplifiers (in most cases). The speaker cabinets would be hoisted above the stage and were arranged to cover the whole arena...360 sound is definitely what I would call it. In the 77 EIC special you can see the preparations for hoisting the sound up overhead in the opening moments of the program.

I was just talking with a friend about bass singers a few days ago and related to him how JD's low (dive bomber") notes, as well as other notes thru the show, could rattle your chest. You would definitely feel the vibration when he went down on those notes...one of my strong memories from the shows.

I am glad to provide any info and memories that I can.

Greybeard

karlos

Post by karlos »

Greybeard wrote:The sound at most all of the shows I saw was interesting and top notch. The stage held only monitors and amplifiers (in most cases). The speaker cabinets would be hoisted above the stage and were arranged to cover the whole arena...360 sound is definitely what I would call it. In the 77 EIC special you can see the preparations for hoisting the sound up overhead in the opening moments of the program.

I was just talking with a friend about bass singers a few days ago and related to him how JD's low (dive bomber") notes, as well as other notes thru the show, could rattle your chest. You would definitely feel the vibration when he went down on those notes...one of my strong memories from the shows.

Ty Greybeard for info and your memories - Lov It - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karlos on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

Greybeard wrote:The sound at most all of the shows I saw was interesting and top notch. The stage held only monitors and amplifiers (in most cases). The speaker cabinets would be hoisted above the stage and were arranged to cover the whole arena...360 sound is definitely what I would call it. In the 77 EIC special you can see the preparations for hoisting the sound up overhead in the opening moments of the program.

The divebomb bit absolutely made an impression when experienced live. J.D.'s voice was freakish. It made the building shake, and Elvis played with it like a toy.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Thanks Greybeard! I always love first hand accounts of seeing Elvis in concert.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Great stuff as always Greybeard..
It wasn't wasn't until recently, I noticed a second soundboard in the back on the main floor. I always thought the EP show only carried one. (it probably did early in the game)
This was Bill Porter's domain, a legend in his own.. I thought it was interesting that back in the Mid 70's the exact same set up was used as today, on a different quality level of course.
Bruce was sitting next to the stage with his mixing desk so I can imagine Bill was easier to approach?
Did you ever try to have a chat with some of the crew at one of your concerts?

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Deleted
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Robert wrote:

Great stuff as always Greybeard..
It wasn't wasn't until recently, I noticed a second soundboard in the back on the main floor. I always thought the EP show only carried one. (it probably did early in the game)
This was Bill Porter's domain, a legend in his own.. I thought it was interesting that back in the Mid 70's the exact same set up was used as today, on a different quality level of course.
Bruce was sitting next to the stage with his mixing desk so I can imagine Bill was easier to approach?
Did you ever try to have a chat with some of the crew at one of your concerts?

I believe one board was for the stage, and the other was for the house. I think the better balanced soundboard recordings came from the house board.

ep2
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by ep2 »

how many kilo's did he get lost for this show.....

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

elvisjock wrote:He was easily agitated, just as he was in Birmingham, when he told an audience member to "shut up." Speed'll do that to you.

I agree, the show was probably over, or just about over at that point. Rags To Riches was a natural point to "take it on home." Still, the audience member was rude, and Elvis responded in kind.

So, does all this make you re-think the context of the "shut up" in Birmingham?

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Deleted
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ranskal

Post by ranskal »

Ricky wrote:I agree with Greystoke, tongue in cheek was the mood. I was sitting behind Elvis, right behind the piano. In fact I had a great view of Ginger and Lisa as well. This interaction prompted me to yell "Sing Rags to Riches" later in Charlotte, NC on 2/21/77. His answer, "I'll get to it". I was just happy he heard me!
Nice story...it's also cool to note that you got to see "Moody Blue" live!

Julian Grant
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by Julian Grant »

Brilliant Greybeard thank you for sharing. This is exactly why ::rocks

Greybeard wrote:Doc...I believe that the comment was tongue in cheek also..I was on the floor near stage and very close to John Herman.

The question about the out of focus footage is valid...that particular long film was shot completely out of focus. I have that footage and sold my reels of the film some years back. I did not film it though. How or why it was filmed that way we can only guess. I had a similar thing happen when I took a new Super 8 movie camera to Philly...not knowing exactly how it operated left me with 80% of the film shot with that camera being out of focus.

As for the feeling of being there as opposed to listening to the recording...well it is like night and day. Experiencing what was such an unexpectedly good performance was a treat. John had spoken to me about Elvis' appearance in Vegas just weeks before so I was prepared for the worst. It was really something to see him looking more fit than just weeks earlier and in good spirits.

Listening to a show for those who were there evokes memories of what you saw and heard. That is why I am always amazed at discussions about "best shows" by folks who never saw the actual event. You cannot simply assume what you hear is the way it went down. The comment made earlier about Elvis being agitated for example. Without witnessing the sly smile that follows such a comment changes the way you perceive the moment. One concert that always comes to mind is the way people think the last Philly show was an Ok show- yet I being there know how incredibly sad it really was.

Another thing that happens because of how busy people like us who were recording, photographing, filming etc is that we were so caught up in what we were archiving we really didn't fully enjoy the event. Oh sure we had a great time but it was like we were "working" the event as well. John Herman shot over 20 minutes of film.ran 2 cassette recorders.and shot over 175 photos. While I assisted in the process it still took focus off the event for us.

After I returned home from Pittsburgh I sent a note off to Elvis wishing him a Happy Birthday and telling him what I witnessed in that show. I went on to tell him thanks for the entertainment he had given us all through the years- a tradition I have continued with those around Elvis I have had the pleasure to correspond or chat with- from Scotty & DJ to John Wilkinson I thank them all.

John & I discussed this concert quite a bit in January and when he told me how terrible Elvis looked when back on the road in February we were puzzled. We also discussed what might happen if he indeed should pass away. Little did we know that very event would occur in 6 short months.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I always enjoyed this great photo from the show... I haven't listened to this show for quite some time
so I think I'll pull out the FTD and play it tonight before I retire for the evening!!

fg76
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by fg76 »

When I was a early Elvis concert fan from the 1990's, I was amazed when I found this concert. I wasn't totally aware of how bad 1976 was as a whole at the time, but I always knew how bad 1977 from the limited knowledge I had. After years of study, you know Elvis was still pretty ill and any well being from the show may have been an illusion - but that show to me is still a great show that blows a lot of shows out of the water. Maybe you have to put it in the proper context, but when I first listened to it on cassette in 1997 - it was mind blowing because here was Elvis Presley with a superior, but familiar Elvis In Concert type voice and looking almost thin. I mean compare a Feb 12 or Feb 20 (1977) photo with the Dec 31 (1976) photo and if you didn't know better - you'd think they were years apart.

When he stopped Little Sister that night, it was because the band started it "too fast." It wasn't a perfect concert, but it's one of those shows that still has something. Maybe the best version of Hurt ever performed. Wish RCA had been there, and that concert was Elvis In Concert.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

What a cool and very refreshing topic - MORE! Please!!

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

fg76 wrote:When I was a early Elvis concert fan from the 1990's, I was amazed when I found this concert. I wasn't totally aware of how bad 1976 was as a whole at the time, but I always knew how bad 1977 from the limited knowledge I had. After years of study, you know Elvis was still pretty ill and any well being from the show may have been an illusion - but that show to me is still a great show that blows a lot of shows out of the water. Maybe you have to put it in the proper context, but when I first listened to it on cassette in 1997 - it was mind blowing because here was Elvis Presley with a superior, but familiar Elvis In Concert type voice and looking almost thin. I mean compare a Feb 12 or Feb 20 (1977) photo with the Dec 31 (1976) photo and if you didn't know better - you'd think they were years apart.

When he stopped Little Sister that night, it was because the band started it "too fast." It wasn't a perfect concert, but it's one of those shows that still has something. Maybe the best version of Hurt ever performed. Wish RCA had been there, and that concert was Elvis In Concert.
That's three times that he told the band to slow down. Big Boss Man, Fairytale ("Slow it down. SLOW IT DOWN."), Little Sister. It wasn't always Elvis who rushed.

I agree that this show caused some confusion to those of us who came later to the party. If you didn't know how much trouble he was in throughout '76 (and you wouldn't unless you were there, or collected photos or tapes) you might just think his real problems started in '77. This Is Elvis contributed to that storyline, if unwittingly: "In 1977, I started to feel like things were slowly getting out of control."

The soundboards of Birmingham and Dallas reveal flaws that would likely be picked up were a Pittsburgh tape to surface. But, those shows weren't New Year's Eve. Elvis had bad memories of Pontiac fresh in his mind. He'd obviously been working over the holidays to get himself into better shape. The audience arrived on a bitterly cold, snowy night, ready to party. Something magical happened that night, and we are very fortunate to have the show so well documented.

Topic author
DJL
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by DJL »

Some of my favorite pictures.

It's hard to believe the Civic Arena was demolished last year. Such an amazing building!

But what happened inside was even more amazing.

Greybeard thank you for sharing your memories about this show! Always enjoy hearing about your concert experience.

Paul you wrote,
I'm not sure who took these 2 photos of the December 31, 1976 show - does anyone know?

These 2 pictures were auctioned on eBay last year. When I saw them and also saw the person was local for me I contacted them asking about the history of the pictures. The person informed me that they were in "an estate find in Pittsburgh and only these two were available." Sadly I lost this auction. But interesting they were 8x10 photos from the show.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-Dec-31-1976-ORIGINAL-FAN-PHOTOS-Pittsburgh-Civic-Arena-Concert-/370688684787?item=370688684787&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123&nma=true&si=adZiUNEONA1ZRHSsZ2ppfz6qHcQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

karlos

Post by karlos »

Here are some more pictures from Pittsburgh -31 /12 / 76 -
Dedicated To Polk Salad Andy , Elvis Girl , Ian And To All Members
Enjoy Y'all
::rocks

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:That's three times that he told the band to slow down. Big Boss Man, Fairytale ("Slow it down. SLOW IT DOWN."), Little Sister. It wasn't always Elvis who rushed.
The band isn't to blame, the tempos were as Elvis wanted them to be, unless he changed his mind on the spot, as he did on 12-31-1976.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Here are a couple totally unseen images from Pittsburgh...I have watermarked and lowered the resolution so all can enjoy them.The second one is within a few seconds of the shot John took which appeared on the original boot LP se.

Greybeard

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

What's currently the best source for this show? I spent some time listening to the FTD last night and the crackling sound is really annoying. I understand this noise is only on the FTD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

My first generation copy/ real time dub I got from JH in 1977 sounds simply incredible. I must have stored it better than the original was stored although I know the original was kept in a climate controlled room for decades. My personal CD copy from my tape sounds really awesome... in fact it was the source used for the demo which eventually led to the FTD. Unfortunately no one asked for my copy (understandably) they used the original master. I cannot for sure state that the noises are in the master tape or are mastering error made during production.

Out of respect for FTD/ Ernst etc I have not offered anyone a copy of it in the decade that has past since the FTD came out. I feel it wouldn't be right to do so.

Greybeard