Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Remembering Pittsburgh 1976

Post by Ciscoking »

Wonderful story....thank you for sharing with us...... ::rocks

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Gee such wonderful, WONDERFUL storys thanks guys for posting them!~ :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Was ANYONE present at both the concert and at this here thread able to actually see when Elvis went down to the floor on "Hurt"? The question is asked because as it is the case with many people going to concerts, the slighest distraction can make you unaware of what, in this case, can only be described as the most incredible example of showmanship ( vocal, visual and otherwise), by any singer of any kind, ever. It is so difficult to even IMAGINE anyone else being able to pull that off, SO DIFFICULT, I REPEAT, TO EVEN IMAGINE IT, that out the 75,000 or so PROFESSIONAL Elvis tribute artists who do make "Hurt", a part of their repertoire, I have yet to see one who gives it a go. Tell me your thoughts, when he was doing it if, in fact, someone in this here thread was able to see the entire 18 second episode, starting with the song's reprise, that is, from start to finish.

I have the episode filmed from two angles, one frontal and shot from about ten feet, the person holding the camera a couple of yards below stage level, which is AWESOME, the other from behind the stage, about 10 rows up, which for some reason makes his turning around with the mike and in full flight (as far as the seven second note he was singing), somewhat easier for the viewer to analyze. In fact, the move, from this angle, APPEARS to be easier to execute than it ACTUALLY was.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

That is a great shot of Elvis... it almost looks as though it's from June 1975 and not the Pittsburgh '76 show...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

out of all the large number of 1976 shows i have for YEARS considered this my favourate show`~! when i consider maybe up to 50% of the shows Elvis performed in the 1976 year were 'below par peformances' , below a standard that should have been 'acceptable' :cry:
this one was magnificent compared to the low 'average' performed in 1976!~ :P

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Blue River »

elvis-fan wrote:That is a great shot of Elvis... it almost looks as though it's from June 1975 and not the Pittsburgh '76 show...
Exactly right, elvis-fan! After seeing the photo I was thinking that the last time Elvis looked this good was June & July of '75!

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Topic author
DJL
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by DJL »

Thought I would bring this back up since "It's not quite new years yet" here in the USA and watching the Backdraft edition tonight!

Happy new year everyone!
::rocks

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Happy New Year from the East Coast of the USA!! This was an incredible show. I would give my eye teeth to have the previous night's show in Atlanta that I saw in decent quality like Pittsburgh.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

"I would like to wish you all, really, a very happy and a prosperous New Year, and hope for your health and happiness, and may God be with you. And I mean that sincerely."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D watched the dvd of it again tonight. GREAT SHOW...p-ity some intros are missing etc but wonderfull feeling in the show loved it Elvis~! :D

You Don't Know Me!

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

I listened to the CD on new year's eve.

stedders
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by stedders »

With regards to Elvis' decline after this show to Feb 77, I actually asked Ginger about this specifically on her Facebook page and she replied that she noticed nothing different in elvis at all and didn't really know what I was talking about. Either she is lying and just doesn't want to discuss it, or she really was completely blind to anything at all. I mean seriously though, how could anyone not notice the difference. A 21 year old woman would certainly notice if her boyfriend put on loads of weight and was acting differently etc...

I don't blame her at all for what happened to Elvis, he was a grown man after all. But for her to whitewash things in her book and pretty much not even reference the obvious decline in this period is shocking.

As for the show, it is energetic and he seems like he is having loads of fun. Sure, it wasn't 1970 but it was still very good :)

Comedian and Singer'Songwriter
Touring Show "Elvis Unplugged - by Andy Stedman" at UK Fringe Festivals and venues
https://andystedman.com/

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

To read her book, it's like nothing detrimental happened at all between January 1 and February 12. They had a great time and were falling more in love all the time. He was just fine.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

elvisjock wrote:"I would like to wish you all, really, a very happy and a prosperous New Year, and hope for your health and happiness, and may God be with you. And I mean that sincerely."
Elvis sounds so warm and sincere with this statement at his show. It is genuine and moving when he says it. Love it.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

It's the moment in that show that makes me most sad.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

HAPPIES
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by HAPPIES »

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Elvis fans :P

This was such a great thread to read. Fantastic stories full of such wonderful memories and great pics to boot! Thank you heaps to the contributors.

Just one question. Does anybody know of any more pics of Charlie in his multi-coloured sparkley suit that he wore that night? This is the only time I've seen it.

Also, a couple of little tidbits. This show was known among the boys in the band as "the trumpets killer", because it was so cold. Their lips were sticking to their instruments, and the notes weren't always as accurate as they were meant to be! :oops:

When Lisa Marie was asked what she thought about being there, she said, "It was lots of fun, but she nearly froze her behind* off".
*word substitute required :D)

Here's to a 2015 filled with lots "HAPPIES". To use an Elvis expression. ::rocks
Last edited by HAPPIES on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HAPPIES
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by HAPPIES »

Before I get "corrected". With regards to the question I asked about Charlies' suit. I have since seen some pictures. And I didn't mean that the suit itself was multi-coloured, just the sparkley adornments on it.

Cheers. ::rocks

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

HAPPIES wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Elvis fans :P

This was such a great thread to read. Fantastic stories full of such wonderful memories and great pics to boot! Thank you heaps to the contributors.

Just one question. Does anybody know of any more pics of Charlie in his multi-coloured sparkley suit that he wore that night? This is the only time I've seen it.

Also, a couple of little tidbits. This show was known among the boys in the band as "the trumpets killer", because it was so cold. Their lips were sticking to their instruments, and the notes weren't always as accurate as they were meant to be! :oops:

When Lisa Marie was asked what she thought about being there, she said, "It was lots of fun, but she nearly froze her behind* off".
*word substitute required :D)

Here's to a 2015 filled with lots "HAPPIES". To use an Elvis expression. ::rocks
I always thought this happened at the new years show in 1975.

egilj
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by egilj »

stedders wrote:With regards to Elvis' decline after this show to Feb 77, I actually asked Ginger about this specifically on her Facebook page and she replied that she noticed nothing different in elvis at all and didn't really know what I was talking about. Either she is lying and just doesn't want to discuss it, or she really was completely blind to anything at all. I mean seriously though, how could anyone not notice the difference. A 21 year old woman would certainly notice if her boyfriend put on loads of weight and was acting differently etc...

I don't blame her at all for what happened to Elvis, he was a grown man after all. But for her to whitewash things in her book and pretty much not even reference the obvious decline in this period is shocking.

As for the show, it is energetic and he seems like he is having loads of fun. Sure, it wasn't 1970 but it was still very good :)
The only thing she mentioned in her book was that Elvis didn't exercise and ate alot during that period.