Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis in Omaha: And I Love You So? 1977

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Rob wrote:
dannyboy1 wrote:I also know people who prefer the EIC version of "Fairytale" to the 1975 studio version.

I happen to be one of them.

Do you know me?

Count me in. Another version I like better than the studio master.

Me too...I also really like the version from the FTD Spring Tours with the mic cut-outs at the end of the song. I can picture Elvis hitting the mic just like it sounds.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Rob wrote:
dannyboy1 wrote:I also know people who prefer the EIC version of "Fairytale" to the 1975 studio version.

I happen to be one of them.

Do you know me?

Count me in. Another version I like better than the studio master.

And me - Great to dance to :smt023

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:34 am

I dont find the version of And I Love You So from Omaha that terrible,I have to say though that the look in Elvis's eyes when the guy shouts out "Turn around" chills me every time. He looks absolutely petrified. The entire performance of I Got A Woman/Amen I find hard going.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 am

Elvis heard "turn around" at every show he did. I don't think he's petrified.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 am

sundial77 wrote:I dont find the version of And I Love You So from Omaha that terrible,I have to say though that the look in Elvis's eyes when the guy shouts out "Turn around" chills me every time. He looks absolutely petrified. The entire performance of I Got A Woman/Amen I find hard going.

And yet there are fans out there that want to see the entire thing commercially released on DVD/Blu Ray. That would be a ghoulish thing to do. Come on guys be realistic. :cry:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I think that if they had released the rapid city footage in let's say 1982 or even 1992 it would have made a much greater impact than nowadays. In today's world we'll surely find indifference. Some amazon costumer would critizise it and a hundred rose coloured glasses fans would say how marvellous it is.

But anyway, as a fan, I would prefer that they would present bit and pieces of it. Indeed they did it with unchained melody in 1992 and the reaction was not that bad. And Elvis appearence was all but evident. Bloated and in close up.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:10 pm

frus75 wrote:I think that if they had released the rapid city footage in let's say 1982 or even 1992 it would have made a much greater impact than nowadays. In today's world we'll surely find indifference. Some amazon costumer would critizise it and a hundred rose coloured glasses fans would say how marvellous it is.

But anyway, as a fan, I would prefer that they would present bit and pieces of it. Indeed they did it with unchained melody in 1992 and the reaction was not that bad. And Elvis appearence was all but evident. Bloated and in close up.

From my personal experience I can say: a great deal of the fans I spoke to (or from what I heard) liked it. But I had to deal with some nasty comments about the clip and performance from some "non-fans", friends and relatives.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm not lobbying for a release, but I honestly think that the real damage was made that October 77 night. 35 years later very few care.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:49 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:From my personal experience I can say: a great deal of the fans I spoke to (or from what I heard) liked it. But I had to deal with some nasty comments about the clip and performance from some "non-fans", friends and relatives.

I have the opposite experience. Most non fans expect him to look worse because of all the stories. For today's standards Elvis wasn't fat at all. I think d'r Phill is fatter. I think a well edited and great quality release will mostly pleasantly surprise people.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Wiebe wrote:I think d'r Phill is fatter.

I would need to see Dr. Phil in the Sundial suit before I came to that conclusion.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Wiebe wrote:I think a well edited and great quality release will mostly pleasantly surprise people.

He looks best from the left profile and from the waist up. It'd have to be all from that angle and with the overdubs present, plus VERY selective on material.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

The problem for me has never been his waist, but his face.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Rob wrote:
Wiebe wrote:I think d'r Phill is fatter.

I would need to see Dr. Phil in the Sundial suit before I came to that conclusion.

PLEASE, no pics of Dr. Phil in the sundial jumpsuit smt170

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 am

I didn't mention RCA Carp, I was referring to the producers of ...was it "As I Leave You"? The boot Cd release of the Omaha show. The audio runs too slow putting Elvis off key throughout and making the sound very drab and Elvis slur more than was the case. Before criticising, you should investigate my comment by doing time comparisons or even by taking the audio, increasing the speed and seeing for yourself. I'm guessing you haven't done any of that.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:57 am

dannyboy1 wrote:I didn't mention RCA Carp, I was referring to the producers of ...was it "As I Leave You"? The boot Cd release of the Omaha show. The audio runs too slow putting Elvis off key throughout and making the sound very drab and Elvis slur more than was the case. Before criticising, you should investigate my comment by doing time comparisons or even by taking the audio, increasing the speed and seeing for yourself. I'm guessing you haven't done any of that.

Your point: the full Omaha show runs slow on the bootleg, making it sound worse than it was
My point (a): RCA had the full Omaha show from master tapes, they passed over most of it
My point (b): Correct speed or running too slow, Omaha is BAD

Hope this helps, boy1.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 am

frus75 wrote:The problem for me has never been his waist, but his face.

No amount of editing will hide the pain, shame and fear in Elvis' eyes.

What decent fan wants to put that on the shelves at retail?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That may be a slight overreaction :lol:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't see all that. He looks just as scared as he did during Aloha. For me the drama lies in the fact that Elvis seems okay with his performance.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:No amount of editing will hide the pain, shame and fear in Elvis' eyes.

Agreed 100%, where you will be hitting your head on a brick wall is, there are quite a few out there that are fans of this look :wtf:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

As it's part of the history and as a fan, I would like to have a decent copy (official or inofficial) of both shows unedited - it doesn't have to be in the best possible pristine quality but at least watchable (taken from the mastertapes?).

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:As it's part of the history and as a fan, I would like to have a decent copy (official or inofficial) of both shows unedited - it doesn't have to be in the best possible pristine quality but at least watchable (taken from the mastertapes?).

I don't think the concerts should ever be officially released unedited. Sadly Omaha in particular was a bad night for Elvis and it is difficult to watch. However, there are good performances that I will always enjoy and I think there could have been a better EIC release than the one we got.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

here's one that would
we would almost forget elvis was a PERSON

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

here's one that would

And we would almost forget that he was a person who was incapable at this time of doing his job. I would not expect the top stand-up comedian in the world to go on stage, forget his jokes and not be funny because he was going through a hard time, and we should not expect the top singer in the world to go on stage and wander around like a tranquilised polar bear, mumble through lyrics and sing off-key. Yes, we can understand why it happened. But to want to own that material and watch it for some form of pleasure is, to me, somewhat peverse.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

+1

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

here's one that would

And we would almost forget that he was a person who was incapable at this time of doing his job. I would not expect the top stand-up comedian in the world to go on stage, forget his jokes and not be funny because he was going through a hard time, and we should not expect the top singer in the world to go on stage and wander around like a tranquilised polar bear, mumble through lyrics and sing off-key. Yes, we can understand why it happened. But to want to own that material and watch it for some form of pleasure is, to me, somewhat peverse.

try and forget elvis in '77 is also somewhat perverse... (what EPE is mostly doing...pretend he doesnt exist after aloha)