Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis in Omaha: And I Love You So? 1977

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS.

My friend and his mom, who attended the June 19, 1977 Omaha show, would laugh in your face.

At the very least, the guy on stage in Omaha pouring out his heart on "How Great Thou Art," is Elvis.

Whether it falls short or not, it should never be "destroyed," and anyone holding such an absurd notion has absolutely no respect for Elvis' career or storied history, period.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 am

memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS.

My friend and his mom, who attended the June 19, 1977 Omaha show, would laugh in your face.

At the very least, the guy on stage in Omaha pouring out his heart on "How Great Thou Art," is Elvis.

Whether it falls short or not, it should never be "destroyed," and anyone holding such an absurd notion has absolutely no respect for Elvis' career or storied history, period.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Thank you!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 am

Alblom...Alblom. I'll ask you once again - Does your friend and his momma have a video/DVD/Blu ray of the Omaha concert for their "enjoyment" ? I'm sure that there's enough copies circulating on the bootleg market that does Elvis "storied history" no favours.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Robt wrote:...Alblom ALBLOM :(

You haven't heard that many Elvis shows?
The Alblom word was used in other shows too..
Just his sense of humor, not particular funny but there were more difficult moments that evening...
Let it go... We can't change history.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Robert wrote:

Just his sense of humor, not particular funny but there were more difficult moments that evening...

if i remember right elvis always had a problem speaking out the word album,

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

My ex-girlfriend from California often said ablum, somehow she had trouble saying it right. She was high a lot too, though.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Did she also look like Cochise?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Robert wrote:Did she also look like Cochise?

who is Cochise??

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 pm

No, but she was really into roller derby

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:who is Cochise??

You started this thread. Did you not hear Elvis make the comment on stage when discussing having to wear makeup?

Cochise

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:13 pm

This particular performance was the very first version of that song I have ever heard. Soon after I got a copy of the "Today" ablum and still liked the EIC version better. For it's sincere sadness. Still do. :cry:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Wiebe wrote:No, but she was really into roller derby

Is that God calling??

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Yes Sir, son

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Omaha '77 should never be considered for general release, nor should such tapes should be destroyed. At the very least, they are a life lesson.

I agree DOC. I'm sure entertainers who came after Elvis have learned fom his sad and unfortunate mistakes.
Nevertheless, it was still Elvis, even in June of 1977. I do agree with one of the earlier posts where the irony of "And I Love You So" was noted. The words of that song and the health/emotional state of Elvis at that time are striking if not haunting. I do believe that he was trying to give a good effort. All that being said, Elvis still gave some good performances, relatively speaking, during that particular tour. In many ways our hero's life played out like a Shakspearean tragedy. It would not be fair to Elvis and his accomplishments to simply pretend that 1977 never happened.

Just one fan's opinion.....

rlj

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Rob wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:who is Cochise??

You started this thread. Did you not hear Elvis make the comment on stage when discussing having to wear makeup?

Cochise

i didnt even know how to speak it out, I did see omaha but dont memorize every word he said thou.
but thanks now i do remember ::rocks

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Robert wrote:

if i remember right elvis always had a problem speaking out the word album,

Just listened to that spectacular August 12, 1970 show and right before Just Pretend he introduced the song similar.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 am

It always surprises me how people want to pick issues with every nuance as though its further proof that Elvis was in bad shape. Soon they're attacking every aspect of the show. I agree that the visual impact of Elvis in 1977 is shocking and heartbreaking, but hey, get over it and listen to the audio aspect of the performance for what it really is. The boot release of the Omaha show was running way too slow and this made it sound much worse than it was.

As presented on the EIC album, "And I Love You So" is actually fairly good, apart from the lower register on those two lines as already pointed out ("the day you took my hand" etc...). Elvis' voice soars in places and he seems to handle the song with ease. I also know people who prefer the EIC version of "Fairytale" to the 1975 studio version.

I think people should listen to a few more unreleased Roy Orbison shows for a sense of persective. Bum notes aplenty but nobody says anything.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 am

dannyboy1 wrote:It always surprises me how people want to pick issues with every nuance as though its further proof that Elvis was in bad shape. Soon they're attacking every aspect of the show. I agree that the visual impact of Elvis in 1977 is shocking and heartbreaking, but hey, get over it and listen to the audio aspect of the performance for what it really is. The boot release of the Omaha show was running way too slow and this made it sound much worse than it was.

RCA had all the reels of Omaha '77 running at the proper speed, they didn't use very much, did they?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 am

dannyboy1 wrote:I also know people who prefer the EIC version of "Fairytale" to the 1975 studio version.

I'm one of those weirdo's.
Can't stand the '75 Today version, I'm ok with the '77 live performances.

In general however, he should have left out this substandard country material in the first place but that's another story..

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 am

dannyboy1 wrote:I also know people who prefer the EIC version of "Fairytale" to the 1975 studio version.

I happen to be one of them.

Do you know me?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 am

i agree i prefer the '77 live version to over the studio master

you gotta love those violins on the master :roll:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 am

And I prefer Live 1975 version that was on Let Me Take You Home, some years ago. It was far superior to Live 1977 and the studio cut, but hey that's just me :smt006

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 am

To me, the version I heard on the original In Concert album really made me feel bad on behalf of Elvis. My favourite singer of all time, singing like that. :cry: A far cry from the studio master on the Today album. I never play the live version. I like it better when Elvis is really SINGING. :)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 am

I remember once when I was listening to "Elvis In Concert" (the 1993 CD) in the living room and mom was doing the dishes.
When "And I Love You So" started playing, she stuck her head out of the kitchen and said "Elvis sounds off-key here, that doesn't sound good at all."
I felt kind of embarrassed, I didn't know Elvis could sing bad... I was little, you know :roll:
But I have no problem with the studio master, I actually like it.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 am

Rob wrote:

I happen to be one of them.

Do you know me?

Count me in. Another version I like better than the studio master.