Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis in Omaha: And I Love You So? 1977

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:For years i been reading ''Elvis was out of tone, elvis couldnt carry the song'' Stuff like that.
But when i watch the performance i dont think it was that bad at all? what do u guys think about it

Note: this is not a thread to bash omaha. But to judge on this particular performance.

I think the entire show never should've been filmed.

I think any tapes per Omaha should be destroyed forever. This was not the real Elvis.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:34 am

Wiebe wrote:I know his softer singing was less stable in 75-77, but he went for it anyhow and didn't play it safe by just belting out the songs. The piano parts (verses) in HGTA are beatifully sung. He's nervous so he almost messes up the transition. The same can be said about Mountain, the verses are sung softly and intimately and then the operatic refrain makers for one of the more dynamic versions of the song. I like it better than the more distant Aloha version where he hardly gets it on a good breath support.

The Birmingham performance of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face comes to mind. He is quite in control on the soft, "ever I lay with you" verse.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 am

It seems like Elvis is really trying..., but it just wasn't there on that night, unfortunately.

rlj

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Robt wrote:I think any tapes per Omaha should be destroyed forever. This was not the real Elvis.

That may be a slight overreaction.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:I think any tapes per Omaha should be destroyed forever. This was not the real Elvis.

parts of Omaha are 'good' but most of b4 the intros shows a 'not here' Elvis singing.
again some earlier parts of rapid city are 'bad' also a compilation of best bits of both shows would be a decent FTD outing someday. 8)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Coming from you that is quite a surprise. Omaha '77 sucks. My reversed avatar and signature didn't bother you did it ? It was just me being funny and I was going to change it after a week.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:32 pm

What kind of songs were performed good ..do you guys think...from omaha

I find some songs from rapid very good like trying to get and hawaiing wedding song

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 pm

ep2 wrote:What kind of songs were performed good ..do you guys think...from omaha

I find some songs from rapid very good like trying to get and hawaiing wedding song

It's now or never, How Great Thou Art, Hurt, Jailhouse rock i find a tad more better in omaha because elvis doesnt forget the lines as he did in rapid city. Fairytale sounds good actually

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 pm

"Little Sister" is fine in Omaha.
Vocally not a very demanding song but I've always liked it given the clean rock backing without a whole bunch of singers and orchestra..

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Robt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Coming from you that is quite a surprise. Omaha '77 sucks. My reversed avatar and signature didn't bother you did it ? It was just me being funny and I was going to change it after a week.

Such trite rhetoric will persuade no one.

Omaha '77 should never be considered for general release, nor should such tapes should be destroyed. At the very least, they are a life lesson.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 am

Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS. At one time, one could watch and listen to 19-6-77 with some sympathy but no more. The Elvis estate should destroy the tapes.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 am

Robt wrote: The Elvis estate should destroy the tapes.

Send them an email?
I'm sure they will follow up your advise immediately :|

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 am

Robt wrote:Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS. At one time, one could watch and listen to 19-6-77 with some sympathy but no more. The Elvis estate should destroy the tapes.

I'm quite sure the estate will not destroy the tapes from the Omaha or Rapid City shows. In addition to the Omaha show, the backstage footage from Rapid City (in his dressing room) is also quite disturbing given Elvis' medicated state... he can barely speak... but that too I'm sure will remain safely tucked away.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:29 am

Another thing - Ernst Jorgenson should NEVER release any song per Omaha '77 on his FTD label.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 am

Robt wrote:Another thing - Ernst Jorgenson should NEVER release any song per Omaha '77 on his FTD label.

yeah yeah rob.. we know u dont like omaha now.
But for fans who still want those concert for HISTORICAL reasons, So they have the complete show in good quality without Charlies Microphone Overload, together with the complete rapid city concert.. Then don't spoil it for those.. FTD decides what they do and do not release.. and someday those 2 will eventually get released on CD, and u just gotta life with that.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Robt wrote:Another thing - Ernst Jorgenson should NEVER release any song per Omaha '77 on his FTD label.

But for fans who still want those concert for HISTORICAL reasons, So they have the complete show in good quality without Charlies Microphone Overload, together with the complete rapid city concert.. Then don't spoil it for those.. FTD decides what they do and do not release.. and someday those 2 will eventually get released on CD, and u just gotta life with that.

Robt, I'm sure you didn't buy the FTD's New Haven '76 and Amarillo '77 just to name a few?
Do you think all copies sold should be returned to the FTD dealers and burned on the spot?

Just curious...

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 am

Good idea :lol:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:03 am

Johnny2523 wrote:

Johnny, I never said anything against Rapid City 21-6-77. I don't think this will happen.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 am

Robert wrote:"Little Sister" is fine in Omaha.
Vocally not a very demanding song but I've always liked it given the clean rock backing without a whole bunch of singers and orchestra..

I agree, Robert. I've always enjoyed that particular song ever since I first heard the a live version from August, 1970. I like the way he adds, "Get Back", to it.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 am

Robt wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Johnny, I never said anything against Rapid City 21-6-77. I don't think this will happen.

no but i meant that way people will buy omaha and rapid city.
I know u didnt say anything about rapid city, but that way fans would also buy omaha because then they would have the 2 concerts on 2 CD's

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 am

Robt wrote:Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS.

My friend and his mom, who attended the June 19, 1977 Omaha show, would laugh in your face.

At the very least, the guy on stage in Omaha pouring out his heart on "How Great Thou Art," is Elvis.

Whether it falls short or not, it should never be "destroyed," and anyone holding such an absurd notion has absolutely no respect for Elvis' career or storied history, period.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 am

Johnny2523 wrote:

The least of the problems with the Omaha show was Charlie's overload, and this was also the least of the problems with And I Love You So. Anyone who thinks the removal of such relatively unimportant elements is going to improve the listening experience is possibly a little deluded.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Yes they should. For the simple reason that it is NOT THE REAL ELVIS.

My friend and his mom, who attended the June 19, 1977 Omaha show, would laugh in your face.

At the very least, the guy on stage in Omaha pouring out his heart on "How Great Thou Art," is Elvis.

Whether it falls short or not, it should never be "destroyed," and anyone holding such an absurd notion has absolutely no respect for Elvis' career or storied history, period.

"Destroyed", my ass ...

I just listened to, "And I Love You So", on headphones from the boot to the Lp "Master" and while it's far from his best "Live" version, it's definitely not the worst !

Shoot, cut my man sum slack ...

Damn srt8 on your post Doc !

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

And does your friend and his mom have the bootleg of the concert ?. :evil: Omaha '77 should be destroyed. Enough copies of Elvis, at perhaps his lowest point of his life,has been bootlegged by now. Come on Johnno be reasonable.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:15 am

...Alblom ALBLOM :(