Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis in Omaha: And I Love You So? 1977

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote: ...and wander around like a tranquilised polar bear...

I'm sorry to say it, but that actually made me chuckle. Too close for comfort!

My 11 year old niece asked me the other day, and I quote - "Is it true that Elvis died on the toilet eating a hamburger?". Such a statement coming from someone that age is heartbreaking to hear. She's already been brainwashed, and I've no idea from where. But what I do know, is that having something like EIC released mainstream, will do absolutely nothing to improve her opinion of the man we call The King.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Even in June of 1977, Elvis was still Elvis. Whether he should have been touring will always be a point of debate. Yet, to pretend that 1977 didn't happen is a discredit to Elvis. No one has to view or listen to Elvis in 77 if they do not want to. At the same time, I would not purchase the video of EIC even if it was released by EPE. However, as it was stated in earlier posts, many can learn valuable life lessons from those tragic errors which Elvis made. There is no need to rewrite history or pretend events didn't take place. Elvis was who he was.

rlj

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 pm

My dad died of cancer, and he was diagnosed 27 months before he died. When a decline takes place in a person appearance, we finally got accustomed and our heart demands us to see the positive things. Same thing with elvis. He still had moments when he delivered, but from march 76 on he was totally wasted. A wreck. All of you that are near to 42 or have past that age imagine you wake up the day of your 42nd birthday looking like elvis looked that June of 77. See the difference between a 39 year elvis (June 74) and a 41 or 42 elvis. SAD. But as with my dad, as elvis is gone, we cling even to those sad days, as it is better a June 77 elvis than a June 78 with no elvis . It is so difficult to deal with death...

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 pm

frus75 wrote:My dad died of cancer, and he was diagnosed 27 months before he died. When a decline takes place in a person appearance, we finally got accustomed and our heart demands us to see the positive things. Same thing with elvis. He still had moments when he delivered, but from march 76 on he was totally wasted. A wreck. All of you that are near to 42 or have past that age imagine you wake up the day of your 42nd birthday looking like elvis looked that June of 77. See the difference between a 39 year elvis (June 74) and a 41 or 42 elvis. SAD. But as with my dad, as elvis is gone, we cling even to those sad days, as it is better a June 77 elvis than a June 78 with no elvis . It is so difficult to deal with death...

I would say what you had to endure with your Father was much more dramatic and heart-breaking than Elvis fans had to experience in the last year of Elvis' life. Those who were not close to him had no idea Elvis was in such a bad way. I wouldn't say that Elvis' decline was totally in his control, because his addiction had firmly taken hold, but he could have turned his life around... your Father's condition was beyond his own control and I think that truly has a bearing on the way we feel about losing someone. I was fairly young when Elvis past away but it came as a total shock to me... I had no idea his health was failing... what I saw was a weight issue, not a drug-addiction... but I wasn't close to him as many fans weren't. I suppose many people that did see Elvis did become accustom to his appearance in the last years but I believe there were very few that knew or believed Elvis' life would come to an end. I feel terrible that you had to go through that experience with your Father... I lost my 11 year old brother to leukemia back in 1978 and I thought life would not go on... but I'm glad I had the time I did with him, as I'm sure you did with your Father... and I know as an Elvis fan, I can accept the harsh reality of his last years, now that I'm older.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:03 pm

What is forgotten here is that Elvis was an artist. We do not have the right to own every single piece of him. had he lived, it was highly unlikely that special would have been shown, or that the the LP would have been released. An artist has the right to pick and choose what pieces of their art get shown or heard publicly. It's pretty certain that Elvis himself would have tried to suppress EIC.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 am

poormadpeter wrote:What is forgotten here is that Elvis was an artist. We do not have the right to own every single piece of him. had he lived, it was highly unlikely that special would have been shown, or that the the LP would have been released. An artist has the right to pick and choose what pieces of their art get shown or heard publicly. It's pretty certain that Elvis himself would have tried to suppress EIC.

Unfortunately the Special was signed sealed and delivered, Elvis and the Colonel took the cash! The show would absolutely have been shown, many would not have seen Elvis the way he was in June 1977 and the sheer shock factor would have been a driving force to show it. Elvis and the Colonel couldn't have stopped the special and had Elvis survived I seriously doubt he would have made such a move given his state of health and past history on non interference?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 am

June 19 was a train-wreck. He is so out of it, it isn't funny. Totally on downers there. There may be a few performances salvageable from the show, but when you watch it - you want to quickly turn it off.

When I watch the Rapid City show, I know overall it was a great show for the period. Elvis looks lot larger in Rapid City, but he performs better. He's "thinner" in Omaha, but he can hardly keep his eyes open and he mumbles more.

As for And I Love You So, I used to like the June 19 version dubbed - but it's horrible without the dubbing. The best live versions come from 75.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 pm

fg76 wrote:June 19 was a train-wreck. He is so out of it, it isn't funny. Totally on downers there. There may be a few performances salvageable from the show, but when you watch it - you want to quickly turn it off.

When I watch the Rapid City show, I know overall it was a great show for the period. Elvis looks lot larger in Rapid City, but he performs better. He's "thinner" in Omaha, but he can hardly keep his eyes open and he mumbles more.

As for And I Love You So, I used to like the June 19 version dubbed - but it's horrible without the dubbing. The best live versions come from 75.

i agree~!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for your kindness my friend .

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 am

fg76 wrote:June 19 was a train-wreck. He is so out of it, it isn't funny. Totally on downers there. There may be a few performances salvageable from the show, but when you watch it - you want to quickly turn it off.

Do you like See See Rider from June 19?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 pm

It's horrible without the dubbing, because the only other sound source we have is raw audio from the VHS release, which is a flat sound with way too much Charlie. They didn't change anything about Elvis' voice in the dubbing. I wonder what the other songs are going to sound like from the other source. Did they also dub the backing vocals on the rest of the songs, or just the ones that were used on the ablum?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Wiebe wrote:

It's horrible without the dubbing, because the only other sound source we have is raw audio from the VHS release, which is a flat sound with way too much Charlie. They didn't change anything about Elvis' voice in the dubbing. I wonder what the other songs are going to sound like from the other source. Did they also dub the backing vocals on the rest of the songs, or just the ones that were used on the ablum?

Are you sure they added vocals?
I have to check my recording sessions book but I thought they dubbed instruments only..

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:29 pm

I think Felton Jarvis forgot to record the backing voices during both shows. He claimed he did that on purpose, because they always had to redo the backing vocals. So all the backing vocals were recorded much later. Maybe someone on here knows more about that.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm

I've heard that story, as well as a similar account claiming the orchestra wasn't recorded. I don't believe either to be true.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I think Joan Deary mentioned technical challenges on the EIC recordings..
So it could be true the original tapes don't carry some backing vocals or instruments.

I always thought the EIC soundquality is somewhat below 1977 standards.
Pick any other live recording from major artists at the time and EIC sounds less dynamic?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 pm

A long time ago I read an interview, I think it was Myrna Smith. She (or one of the other members) said that overdubing vocals on the Elvis in Concert album was totally heartbreaking.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 pm

KevinK wrote:

My 11 year old niece asked me the other day, and I quote - "Is it true that Elvis died on the toilet eating a hamburger?". Such a statement coming from someone that age is heartbreaking to hear. She's already been brainwashed, and I've no idea from where. But what I do know, is that having something like EIC released mainstream, will do absolutely nothing to improve her opinion of the man we call The King.

I doubt it would make much difference if it were released. In the Sun newspaper today (the UK's most popular), the UK comedian Frankie Boyle writes in his colum...

"PRISCILLA PRESLEY is alledgedly dating Toby Anstis. I suppose once you've watched a man die on the toilet holding a fried peanut butter sandwich, nothing seems weird".

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:06 pm

KevinK wrote:"Is it true that Elvis died on the toilet eating a hamburger?"

I'm sorry but somehow this actually made me chuckle and of course :facep:

Maybe she saw an old Eminem video.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
KevinK wrote:

I doubt it would make much difference if it were released. In the Sun newspaper today (the UK's most popular), the UK comedian Frankie Boyle writes in his colum...

"PRISCILLA PRESLEY is alledgedly dating Toby Anstis. I suppose once you've watched a man die on the toilet holding a fried peanut butter sandwich, nothing seems weird".

I think the vast majority of the population would like to see Frankie Boyle end his days in the way he describes. And quickly. He wrote on twitter yesterday that the new celeb diving show would be more entertaining if there was no water in the pool into which they dived. Someone replied that, yes, that would be a great idea, especially if Boyle volunteered to be a contestant.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
KevinK wrote:

I think the vast majority of the population would like to see Frankie Boyle end his days in the way he describes. And quickly. He wrote on twitter yesterday that the new celeb diving show would be more entertaining if there was no water in the pool into which they dived. Someone replied that, yes, that would be a great idea, especially if Boyle volunteered to be a contestant.

what a total ass.......

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 am

With regard to the original EIC album, I have to say I never liked the sound. Even in 1977 it just sounded so "different" than the previous live recordings. IF FTD or Sony does release this again, I hope they do something better with the sound.

rlj

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

dreambear wrote:A long time ago I read an interview, I think it was Myrna Smith. She (or one of the other members) said that overdubing vocals on the Elvis in Concert album was totally heartbreaking.

I remember that quote too, but it wasn't Myrna who said it. On August 29, 1977 these were the backing vocalists present at the overdub session:

Lea Jane Berinati; Jane Fricke; Sherilyn Kramer; Yvonne Hodge and Sherrill Nielsen. IIRC it was either Lea Jane Berinati or Jane Fricke who was quoted in that interview.