Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' acting.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am

It's worth remembering, Speedway was the last 'formula' Elvis movie. A screenplay written to accommodate an album of songs and Elvis himselvis. After that, the movies were more like movie projects Elvis starred in. Stay Away Joe, Live A Little The Trouble With Girls were all based on novels, (and I've read Change Of Habit was based on a thrue story too, who knows?). When was the last time an Elvis film came from a novel? Kid Galahad probably.
The last five scripted films weren't always great, but they were a healthy move away from the formula, and I think Elvis would have appreciated it more, had it happened sooner.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 am

There are only a few Elvis movies where I get lost in the story and don't think about watching Elvis in a movie. One of them is certainly FOLLOW THAT DREAM. It is so bizarre that after nearly 30 films, Elvis could act so consistently bad in CHARRO. It is embarrassing to watch -- Elvis' jaw clinching in all its glory.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 am

Maybe after all these formula years, Elvis needed a major male big actor (a la Clint Eastwood or Robert Mitchum), producer and a good script to be focused again.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am

To a certain degree Elvis could act quite well. But if he had wanted to continue to play in movies like "Flaming Star" or "Wild In The Country" he certainly would have needed some acting lessons. He made no fool of himself in either movie, but a professional actor could have done more with the characters Elvis played.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

I think he showed potential in Flaming Star - "I've seen the black star of death!"

Follow That Dream is pretty good, too.

He's not bad in Change of Habit - it's almost a type of non-acting Elvis does ... he more or less reacts throughout the whole thing ... "noodle ring?"

Most of this really came down to his charisma, people skills, and enthusiasm - if he was confident going into a picture he carried himself and things rather well. He EL-evated (get it?) quite a few travelogues this way. I don't think Elvis was truly ever afforded a good script.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm

I got a fabulous book on John Wayne for Christmas and couldn't help thinking that it would have been great if Elvis had teamed up with the Duke on a couple of flicks. Something like Rio Bravo would have possibly given Elvis' movie career a kick in another direction.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 am

I tend to like the later off formula movies. Elvis did look better, even singing better and had a more relaxed approach. LALLAL, Stay Away Joe, TTWG, Charro and Change Of Habit. The 50's movies were great. Then there's Wild In The Country, Flaming Star, Follow That Dream and Kid Galahad. But, I still have soft spots for Fun In Acapulco, Viva Las Vegas, Roustabout, Girl Happy and Tickle Me. A movie I never felt for back then, took me by surprise when I watched recently, is Frankie And Johnny. I look through different lences after so many years it seems. 8)