Moody Blue FTD - what will the track list be?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

JohanD
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Moody Blue FTD - what will the track list be?

Post by JohanD »

elvisalisellers wrote:
JohanD wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:If an "In Concert" FTD is ever released, I would like to hear an undubbed version of the Rapid City performance that actually includes Elvis' piano track.
Me too.
Isn't that performance included in "The lost peformances" cd from the 90's?
I presume you are talking about the version that appeared on "The Great Performances" in 1990.
Well, that "performance" was not the true undubbed recording, as it was merely a strip down [leaving intact the piano overdub] of the original 1978 single mix.
The unadorned mix with Elvis himself at the piano remains unissued on disc.
JohanD wrote:Btw, i love the overdubbed single version, it gives a modern feeling to the song.
I'm not a fan of that mix at all.
However, the overdubbed Moody Blue master has long been a favourite of mine from the later years.
Outside the tortured genius of Elvis' live vocal, it is a virtual studio recording; with the overdubs and edits, for once, being nigh-on faultless.
You can hear an excellent remix of it on the "70's Masters" box-set.
Yes, that's what i suggested: "The great performances" :wink:
Thanks for correcting me..

So, that version on cd is in fact an overdubbed one too..
Never knew it,really, i'm suprised, is the videoversion also not orginal or has it Elvis' real pianoplaying?

JohanD

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

JohanD wrote:So, that version on cd is in fact an overdubbed one too.
Yes.
JohanD wrote:Never knew it,really, i'm suprised, is the videoversion also not orginal or has it Elvis' real pianoplaying?
The video version has the same piano overdub.

You can hear Elvis' original piano track on dvd bootlegs of the Rapid City show.

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by joshferrell »

I kind of like that Bootleg "What might have been" with the demos of the songs he was supposed to record in 1977 maybe they can find more demos and place it on the MB ftd..A demo of 'Fire down below" would be awesome too.so cd 1 could be MB with outtakes cd 2 with outtakes/rough mixes and demos

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Alexander »

joshferrell wrote:I kind of like that Bootleg "What might have been" with the demos of the songs he was supposed to record in 1977 maybe they can find more demos and place it on the MB ftd..A demo of 'Fire down below" would be awesome too.so cd 1 could be MB with outtakes cd 2 with outtakes/rough mixes and demos
With enough Elvis material on shelves I hope Ernst will not waste any space on unrecorded demos. I am not interested in hearing others singing demos which might have been recorded by Elvis if history had taken another track.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Alexander wrote:
joshferrell wrote:I kind of like that Bootleg "What might have been" with the demos of the songs he was supposed to record in 1977 maybe they can find more demos and place it on the MB ftd..A demo of 'Fire down below" would be awesome too.so cd 1 could be MB with outtakes cd 2 with outtakes/rough mixes and demos
With enough Elvis material on shelves I hope Ernst will not waste any space on unrecorded demos. I am not interested in hearing others singing demos which might have been recorded by Elvis if history had taken another track.
especially not on a ELVIS album
would be weird if u got a cd called ELVIS: Moody Blue. and u get demo's that have actually nothing to do with elvis. since elvis hasnt recorded them. for all we know elvis might havent even sung those demo's had he lifed.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

This is highly unlikely... although RCA/BMG/Sony have gone down the road of including demos as part of an FTD release, they were for songs Elvis actually recorded. And as Alexander has already mentioned, I too have little interest in "what might have been"... particularly when speaking of 1976 and 1977 when Elvis was far from his best as a recording artist.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Alexander »

rlj4ep wrote:I would welcome the FTD treatment of the Moody Blue album. I would hope they have unreleased studio takes and rehearsals. While I understand that Unchained Melody, Little Darlin, If You Love Me, and Let Me Be There would be on the "original" reprint, I would hope the focus is on the "studio" songs and not on the 4 "live" songs. Including a few previously "unreleased" songs from 1977 might be OK if needed to complete the album. Personally I would hope the "live" songs are from February 1977 rather than June 1977.

rlj
No june material will be on the Moody Blue FTD nor will be any February material, simply because both (February soundboards and June multitracks) do not relate to the original album.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Another thing, Ernst should do is include an alternative (or as he calls it "Rough") mixes of lve tracks Let Me Be There, Unchained Melody and Little Darlin'

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by KingElvis »

No word yet but hopefully FTD is working on this one and that it will be out later this year :)

Winston
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Winston »

Johnny2523 wrote: ... i hate this drum overdub of the rapid city version thou at 1:45 ...
I think for the single version it is real good and sounds nice in my ears. Ok, this is the single and I think it is more than possible that it was included in the Album Moody Blue.
elvisalisellers wrote: ... Hang on a minute...I've just remembered the "Hits of the 70's"/My Way debacle ...
:lol:
Robt wrote: ... I can't see Ernst and Roger touching that, can you ? Ain't gonna happen ...
It will happen. CD1 The Original-Album, CD2 A edited concert from various sources.

Edwin

Post by Edwin »

The version of Moody Blue on the FTD release of Our Memories Of Elvis runs longer than usual. I kinda like the song best at the end when Elvis really hits a note in the part "...tell me who I'm talkin' to".
2 questions:
Does this longer version solely appear on Our Memories Of Elvis?
Will it be part of FTD Moody Blue?\

Edwin

Winston
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Winston »

Edwin wrote: ... The version of Moody Blue on the FTD release of Our Memories Of Elvis runs longer than usual ...
I don't noticed that. :oops:

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

We'll probably get the undubbed (and unedited) masters from the studio-recordings as well as the three undubbed April '77 live recordings. And "Let Me Be There" from the newer edition of EARLOSIM.
And most likely the complete "Way Down" session as well as outtakes from "Pledging My Love", "Moody Blue", "She Thinks I Still Care" and "It's Easy For You" (of course all that have been released officially before).
Not much really new stuff but and all in pristine (and equal) sound quality.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

If/when we get the Moody Blue FTD it will get many spins in my player.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Edwin wrote:The version of Moody Blue on the FTD release of Our Memories Of Elvis runs longer than usual. I kinda like the song best at the end when Elvis really hits a note in the part "...tell me who I'm talkin' to".
2 questions:

Edwin

The complete overdubbed version are available on many boots....in great quality.
Not a fan of the OMOE mix myself but the boot version is great.
Also "she thinks I still care" track 13 is complete and much longer compared to MB Version on this bootleg......unreleased officially.
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/uneditedmasters72-80.html

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Edwin wrote:The version of Moody Blue on the FTD release of Our Memories Of Elvis runs longer than usual. I kinda like the song best at the end when Elvis really hits a note in the part "...tell me who I'm talkin' to".
2 questions:

Edwin

The complete overdubbed version are available on many boots....in great quality.
Not a fan of the OMOE mix myself but the boot version is great.
Also "she thinks I still care" track 13 is complete and much longer compared to MB Version on this bootleg......unreleased officially.
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/uneditedmasters72-80.html
Gosh, thanks for reminding me of that great release! Completely forgot about that one. I was still thinking about the old Whitehaven boots "Among Friends" and "Songs To Sing"... :roll: :facep:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Moody Blue live should be there. LP version should use early cover art as seen on the inner sleeves.

Mike Eder

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Mike Eder wrote:Moody Blue live should be there. LP version should use early cover art as seen on the inner sleeves.
I don't agree. The live version captured on soundboard is really unremarkable, and shows an artist unwilling to rehearse. If Elvis was in any way concerned about the professionalism of his show and the promotion of new/upcoming product, he would have rehearsed and had himself and the band ready to produce on stage a viable representation of the track. Instead, fans are left with one of those so-called gems or rarities from one of his later period concerts; but a performance that nevertheless is not actually that good on the surface. FTD's Moody Blue should focus on the studio outtakes and multitracked live material from the Spring '77 tapes that were used to assist with compiling Moody Blue.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Mike Eder wrote:Moody Blue live should be there.
Dont agree at all....happy they havent used soundboard recordings on classic album series.
You wanted "good times Charlies got the blues,if you talk in Your sleep and so on on GT/PL FTD as well?

MarkyMark77
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by MarkyMark77 »

To me, in addition to whatever selection of studio outtakes, you'd want the overdubbed "Unchained Melody", and both "Softly, As I Leave You" and "America (the Beautiful)" singles, released right after Elvis' death. With the already hodgepodge album track list, they might as well appear here, since they were officially released.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

The last thing any Moody Blue edition needs is "Softly, As I Leave You."

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

On an FTD "Moody Blue" release, I have complete confidence that Ernst and Co. will deliver a very good product. IMHO, there is no need to put any of the songs which were postumously released on an FTD "Moody Blue" album.

rlj

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Blue River wrote: The song line up? Well, I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and guess -

Unchained Melody - live
If You Love Me, Let Me Know - live
Little Darlin' - live
He'll Have To Go
Let Me Be There - live
Way Down
Pledging My Love
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
It's Easy For You

plus... some Jungle Room outtakes and a few more live performances from 1977
I'm hopeful they don't polute the Moody Blue FTD with more tracks from the spring 77 tours... Elvis is in terrible shape and his vocals are weak at best.
I can't even listen to that Spring Tours 77 FTD...
:(

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by joekro1977 »

The slightly extended version of Moody Blue from "Our Memories of Elvis" was a wonderful find for me - hope that the other takes yield similar gold.

I too eagerly await the FTD release of one of my favorite Elvis records

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

MarkyMark77
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by MarkyMark77 »

The last thing any Moody Blue edition needs is "Softly, As I Leave You."
But we're not talking quality of the song, but what fits. I don't care for the song, but those releases should go somewhere, for better or worse. Maybe not here, but that's part of the discussion of a Moody Blue FTD.

I've given a rationale, and you've given a snide comment, but no real feedback. Kudos! Why be an ass? Instead, tell me your opinion on why it doesn't belong historically.
IMHO, there is no need to put any of the songs which were postumously released on an FTD "Moody Blue" album.
Except for maybe the need to put them somewhere, was the only thing I was wondering about. Thanks for a civil comment!