Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Moody Blue FTD - what will the track list be?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 am

Don't forget the snippet of "America The Beautiful" that was inexplicably missing from the "From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee" FTD release.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am

Daryl wrote:Don't forget the snippet of "America The Beautiful" that was inexplicably missing from the "From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee" FTD release.

I think "America The Beautiful" would fit as you say...It sure is going to be good to see the official release tracklist - after all numerous posters tantalising comments a mouthwatering prospect to beholden.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I tell ya'll, if you want to see MB as a double FTD, it's gotta have lots of rough mixes cause it's too short otherwise :mrgreen:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 pm

well it certainly could have more 'rough mixes' b4 'sweetening' + other songs recorded from the April 77' tour :wink: :roll:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm not Ernst Jorgensen, so my wishes are just that, wishes. But if it'd depended on me, I will include on Moody blue all the jungle room february & october masters remixed by Jean Marc and Sebastian. For me, those masters are in need of a remix since 1976.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

I think it is not too hard to predict, first you have the original album:

Unchained Melody
If You Love Me
Little Darlin
He'll Have To Go
Let Me Be There
Way Down
Pleding My Love
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
It's Easy For You

Than the outtakes (which like FEPBMT probably will be an incomplete selection):

Fire Dwon Below (Musical track)
She Thinks I Still Care (17 takes to choose from)
Moody Blue (10 takes)'
Easy For You (2 takes)
Way Down (2 takes + a possible rehearsal)
Pledging My Love (6 takes)
He'll Have To Go (2 takes)

The Live material was recorded on April 24 (Ann Arbor), 25 (Saginaw) and 26 (Kalamazoo) on Multitrack. We might see a 'complete' show on CD2, compiled from those three concerts, with some tracks previously released on Spring Tours FTD and undubbed versions of the original masters as well as new previously unreleased material. Check out the great Keith Flynn website if you want to know what is available!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm

I've never read anything to support this, so I'm only speculating here, but I'm wondering if any alternate track listings were considered before the final compilation that we are all familiar with.

Having said that, I haven't heard anything else from the spring '77 recordings that would have enhanced the album. Hence Felton's decision to go back to the 1974 Memphis show for "Let Me Be There", to complete the track listing, but as these recordings were made with a view to completing the album, maybe they should be considered as bonus material?

I guess it depends on whether FTD decide to make the album as entertaining as possible, or give an overview of what Felton had to work with back in the spring of '77. As we already have the "Spring Tours" title, an emphasis on the studio work would probably be the best option, with perhaps the undubbed live recordings of "Unchained Melody", "If You Love Me" and "Little Darlin'" added as works in progress.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:19 pm

mm...I'm not interested in getting more live tracks on it....I prefer more FEPB outtakes that couldn't be on that FTD because of space. Ernst did something similar with Elvis Country FTD adding some TTWII and LL undubbed/unedited masters as bonus

these are complete takes:
Love coming down (2)
Never again (4)
Never again(5)
Solitaire (8)

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 pm

rockinrebel wrote:As we already have the "Spring Tours" title, an emphasis on the studio work would probably be the best option, with perhaps the undubbed live recordings of "Unchained Melody", "If You Love Me" and "Little Darlin'" added as works in progress.

It's a safe bet those 3 live recordings will be included in their undubbed form.
Let's hope this time something can be done to remove the horrible static that is heard on Unchained Melody ["Spring Tours" FTD].

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:It's a safe bet those 3 live recordings will be included in their undubbed form.
Let's hope this time something can be done to remove the horrible static that is heard on Unchained Melody ["Spring Tours" FTD].

I haven't heard "Spring Tours" in a while, but any sonic improvements would be welcome.

I would agree that the three undubbed live recordings should be on the FTD. I think Felton did a pretty good job with the overdubs on "Unchained Melody", so the undubbed version would be a worthy inclusion for comparison.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

be great if that would be the next ftd classic :D

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 pm

i hate this drum overdub of the rapid city version thou at 1:45
phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:i hate this drum overdub of the rapid city version thou at 1:45

Thankfully, that shambolic single mix would be totally incongruous to any potential Moody Blue FTD upgrade.

Hang on a minute...I've just remembered the "Hits of the 70's"/My Way debacle. Oh sh*t! :shock:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

The overdubs on the single version are terrible, but if that belongs anywhere it's the "Elvis In Concert" album.

If an "In Concert" FTD is ever released, I would like to hear an undubbed version of the Rapid City performance that actually includes Elvis' piano track.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 pm

rockinrebel wrote:If an "In Concert" FTD is ever released, I would like to hear an undubbed version of the Rapid City performance that actually includes Elvis' piano track.

Me too.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

Edit
Last edited by tupelo_boy on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Alexander wrote:I think it is not too hard to predict, first you have the original album:

Unchained Melody
If You Love Me
Little Darlin
He'll Have To Go
Let Me Be There
Way Down
Pleding My Love
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
It's Easy For You

Moody Blue (10 takes)'
Easy For You (2 takes)

The Live material was recorded on April 24 (Ann Arbor), 25 (Saginaw) and 26 (Kalamazoo) on Multitrack. We might see a 'complete' show on CD2, compiled from those three concerts, with some tracks previously released on Spring Tours FTD and undubbed versions of the original masters as well as new previously unreleased material. Check out the great Keith Flynn website if you want to know what is available!

I actually like the line up you've presented. The only thing I might add is whatever remains of the recording of "America."

rlj

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:48 pm

I would like the long mix of "Moody Blue" on the set. If there's any bit of unfinished music on there (Fire Down Below, Feelings, Only You) I'd like that as well...even if it's only a few seconds.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:51 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
Alexander wrote:I think it is not too hard to predict, first you have the original album:

Unchained Melody
If You Love Me
Little Darlin
He'll Have To Go
Let Me Be There
Way Down
Pleding My Love
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
It's Easy For You

Moody Blue (10 takes)'
Easy For You (2 takes)

I actually like the line up you've presented. The only thing I might add is whatever remains of the recording of "America."

rlj

Yes look very agreeably. Maybe a few surprises thrown too if we're lucky...

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:If an "In Concert" FTD is ever released, I would like to hear an undubbed version of the Rapid City performance that actually includes Elvis' piano track.

Me too.

Frankly I can't see Ernst and Roger touching that, can you ? Ain't gonna happen :(

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Robt wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Me too.

Frankly I can't see Ernst and Roger touching that, can you ? Ain't gonna happen :(

Not sure, Rob.
Ernst did mention not so long back, that the EIC tapes will need to be remixed, because of their apparently poor condition.
Now whether a 2CD Classic Album FTD would also include a complete remix [prior to the posthumous overdubs] of the June 21, 1977 Rapid City performance, only time will tell.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:27 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

Me too.

Isn't that performance included in "The lost peformances" cd from the 90's?
Btw, i love the overdubbed single version, it gives a modern feeling to the song.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

JohanD wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Me too.

Isn't that performance included in "The lost peformances" cd from the 90's?

I presume you are talking about the version that appeared on "The Great Performances" in 1990.
Well, that "performance" was not the true undubbed recording, as it was merely a strip down [leaving intact the piano overdub] of the original 1978 single mix.
The unadorned mix with Elvis himself at the piano remains unissued on disc.

JohanD wrote:Btw, i love the overdubbed single version, it gives a modern feeling to the song.

I'm not a fan of that mix at all.
However, the overdubbed Moody Blue master has long been a favourite of mine from the later years.
Outside the tortured genius of Elvis' live vocal, it is a virtual studio recording; with the overdubs and edits, for once, being nigh-on faultless.
You can hear an excellent remix of it on the "70's Masters" box-set.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Alexander wrote:The Live material was recorded on April 24 (Ann Arbor), 25 (Saginaw) and 26 (Kalamazoo) on Multitrack.

There's nothing from Saginaw, Michigan, that appears on the Moody Blue album.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Alexander wrote:The Live material was recorded on April 24 (Ann Arbor), 25 (Saginaw) and 26 (Kalamazoo) on Multitrack.

There's nothing from Saginaw, Michigan, that appears on the Moody Blue album.

That's right, but according to the Keith Flynn webside recordings were made for inclusion on the album.