Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Presley - Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm

I was browsing through 'Writing For The King' (FTD, 2006, Ken Sharp) and started to read about Clyde Otis.

Clyde_Otis.jpg

Clyde Otis (11.09.24 - 08.01.08)

Elvis recorded a few songs penned by songwriter Clyde Otis 'Ain't That Loving You Baby', 'Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)', 'Doncha Think It's Time'. In 'Writing For The King' Otis comments about Elvis' recording of the song 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind':

I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind'. I never heard his version of that song. That song was recorded by 'The Five Keys'. Ivory Joe Hunter and I had left Louisiana and we were back up here (New York City) and we got a chance to write a song for The Five Keys who were good singers. It was a hit song. A lot of people have recorded it, Dinah Washington.
- Clyde Otis

phpBB [video]

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind,(Clyde Otis, Ivory Joe Hunter)
The Five Keys (Capitol Records, 1956)

I've never heard of the song let alone knew Elvis recorded. Does anyone have any more information about Elvis' alleged recording?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jon_burrows on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis Presley - Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Thank you for the information, Jon. I can't say that I am familiar with that particular song. Although Clyde Otis is a wonderful song writer. I'll have to look it up.. Thanks again.

rlj

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm

phpBB [video]

There it is.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:
phpBB [video]

There it is.

Thank you, RonBaker2003. I did a quick check on Youtube but couldn't find it. Do you know where and when this was recorded?

Elvis would've done a decent job on this if he had recorded it proper.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Nice find RobBaker. Very nice.

rlj

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Gosh, it's on The Complete Million Dollar Quartet cd and I didn't even realize it. :facep:

I better go get another cup of coffee and wake up!
Thanks again guys.

rlj

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 pm

"I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind' "...
- Clyde Otis

jon_burrows wrote:Clyde Otis wrote a few songs for Elvis... He also comments that Elvis recorded the song 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind':

Clyde Otis didn't comment that Elvis recorded "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind". It reads as though someone suggested to Otis Clyde that Elvis did record the song and Otis Clyde's response was, "I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind' ".

Regardless of the few seconds of it caught on tape from December 4, 1956, Elvis did not record "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind".

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 pm

The interviewer was talking about the Million dollar quartet version when he told Clyde Otis that Elvis had recorded it.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Blue River wrote:"I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind' "...
- Clyde Otis

jon_burrows wrote:Clyde Otis wrote a few songs for Elvis... He also comments that Elvis recorded the song 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind':

Clyde Otis didn't comment that Elvis recorded "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind". It reads as though someone suggested to Otis Clyde that Elvis did record the song and Otis Clyde's response was, "I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind' ".

Regardless of the few seconds of it caught on tape from December 4, 1956, Elvis did not record "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind".

Yes, you are correct, my apologies Blue River, I've mistakenly mixed up my grammar. Thank you for pointing that out.
It reads like the question was put to him and he was responding to that. And, I agree, after hearing thirty-nine seconds or so of Elvis singing it, he didn't record it but was recorded while singing it. :)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:13 pm

jon_burrows wrote:I was browsing through 'Writing For The King' (FTD, 2006, Ken Sharp) and started to read about Clyde Otis.

Clyde_Otis.jpg

Clyde Otis (11.09.24 - 08.01.08)

Clyde Otis wrote a few songs for Elvis, [b]'Ain't That Loving You Baby'[/b], 'Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)', 'Doncha Think It's Time'. He also comments that Elvis recorded the song 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind':

I never knew Elvis recorded 'Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind'. I never heard his version of that song. That song was recorded by 'The Five Keys'. Ivory Joe Hunter and I had left Louisiana and we were back up here (New York City) and we got a chance to write a song for The Five Keys who were good singers. It was a hit song. A lot of people have recorded it, Dinah Washington.
- Clyde Otis

phpBB [video]

I've never heard of the song let alone knew Elvis recorded. Does anyone have any more information about Elvis' alleged recording?[/quote

]

Huh ?!!!!!!!

Good heavens, ATLYB was first recorded by Eddie Riff in 1956. Not written for Elvis at all. My Friend, get your facts right (very important around here).

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 pm

jon_burrows wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:
phpBB [video]

There it is.

Thank you, RonBaker2003. I did a quick check on Youtube but couldn't find it. Do you know where and when this was recorded?

Elvis would've done a decent job on this if he had recorded it proper.

This song is on the Million Dollar Quartet
2Lp /Cd and was recorded on December 4th 1956 At Sun Studios In Memphis -

Its a good song that was recorded at studios when Elvis met - Jerry Lee Lewis , Carl Perkins And Johnny Cash -
::rocks
:smt007
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am

jon_burrows wrote:
phpBB [video]

I've never heard of the song let alone knew Elvis recorded. Does anyone have any more information about Elvis' alleged recording?

As noted, it's basically a "one-liner" in the midst of the visit to Sun in December 1956.

Million Dollar Quartet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet#Tracks.2C_writers_and_duration

For those who do not know, three tape reels were delivered by Sam Phillips to various people after the December 4, 1956 jam, as a keepsake. Luckily, two sets surfaced. They were utilized to create the ultimate release from RCA -->

060919_CompleteMillionDollarQuartet.jpg

The Complete Million Dollar Quartet (RCA, September 19, 2006)
Instrumental (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Love Me Tender (instrumental) (1:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Jingle Bells (instrumental) (1:57) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
White Christmas (instrumental) (2:05) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Reconsider Baby (2:45)
Don't Be Cruel (2:20)
Paralyzed (3:00)
Don't Be Cruel (0:36)
There's No Place Like Home (3:36)
When The Saints Go Marching In (2:18)
Softly And Tenderly (2:42)
When God Dips His Love In My Heart (0:23)
Just A Little Talk With Jesus (4:09)
Jesus Walked That Lonesome Valley (3:28)
I Shall Not Be Moved (3:49)
Peace In The Valley (1:33)
Down By The Riverside (2:26)
I'm With A Crowd But So Alone (1:16)
Farther Along (2:08)
Blessed Jesus (Hold My Hand) (1:26)
As We Travel Along The Jericho Road (0:52)
I Just Can't Make It By Myself (1:04)
Little Cabin Home On The Hill (0:46)
Summertime Is Past And Gone (0:14)
I Hear A Sweet Voice Calling (0:36)
Sweetheart You Done Me Wrong (0:28)
Keeper Of The Key (2:08) -> Carl Perkins
Crazy Arms (0:17)
Don't Forbid Me (1:19)
Too Much Monkey Business (0:05)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:14)
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (0:37)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:53)
Don't Forbid Me (0:50)
You Belong To My Heart (1:10)
Is It So Strange (1:21)
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (4:58)
Brown Eyed Handsome Man (0:17)
Rip It Up (0:23)
I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye (0:55)
Crazy Arms (3:36) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
That's My Desire (2:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
End Of The Road (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Black Bottom Stomp (1:11) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven (1:12) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Says Goodbye (0:40)

All leads are Elvis, save those marked in red.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 am

Thank you for the replies. I don't own 'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet', maybe I will have to track it down.

I've edited my original post to reflect some of the comments, hope that satisfies.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 am

jon_burrows wrote:Thank you for the replies. I don't own 'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet', maybe I will have to track it down.

I've edited my original post to reflect some of the comments, hope that satisfies.

It has my highest recommendation.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 pm

jon_burrows wrote:Thank you for the replies. I don't own 'The Complete Million Dollar Quartet', maybe I will have to track it down.

You won't have to look far to track it down.
$5.30 + $2.98 US shipping = Only $8.28 >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Or

£4.20 + £1.26 UK delivery = Only £5.46 >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:For those who do not know, three tape reels were delivered by Sam Phillips to various people after the December 4, 1956 jam, as a keepsake. Luckily, two sets surfaced. They were utilized to create the ultimate release from RCA -->

Any idea if the third tape is in collector's hands? Or maybe lost forever?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 am

I love the Five Keys - always have.

When I heard Elvis telling Carl Perkins about "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" I definitely cracked a smile.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 am

Renan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:For those who do not know, three tape reels were delivered by Sam Phillips to various people after the December 4, 1956 jam, as a keepsake. Luckily, two sets surfaced. They were utilized to create the ultimate release from RCA -->

Any idea if the third tape is in collector's hands? Or maybe lost forever?

As noted, all three reels were utilized in the mastering of the 2006 RCA release.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Blue River wrote:

You won't have to look far to track it down.
$5.30 + $2.98 US shipping = Only $8.28 >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Or

£4.20 + £1.26 UK delivery = Only £5.46 >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

Thanks, ordered it from Amazon.UK, £4.99 delivered.