Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sealed LP/Vinyls...Could Be Fake?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 am

I see that there is a lots of vinyl beeing sold on ebay that still has original shrink/sealed wrapping aka never been opened.
From what I`ve heard anyone can actually buy a sealing device and actual seal their old vinyls and sell them
as a never opened release?
Apparently Its hard to tell if a MINT release has been re-sealed......
Anyone knows more?

Re: Sealed LP/Vinyls...Could Be Fake?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 am

Unfortunately, a still-sealed album can be a fake.

This is a very important question, because the value for still-sealed albums can fetch two to four times the price of the same album in near-mint (and opened) condition, and sometimes more. That's why I hesitate to pay a premium for a still-sealed album.

Most seller's return policy will mean nothing if you open it to discover the record is not in mint condition or record is not the correct record and/or has the correct inner sleeve issued for that time period. So if you are paying a premium for a still-sealed album, do so from a reputable seller who will stand by your purchase.

I would consider it might be a fake if album has "no" stickers: no store, no price and/or price marked down. And shrink-wrap looks flawless. All that said, exceptions exist. Sometimes you have to go by instinct. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 am

TCK_KING wrote:I see that there is a lots of vinyl beeing sold on ebay that still has original shrink/sealed wrapping aka never been opened.
From what I`ve heard anyone can actually buy a sealing device and actual seal their old vinyls and sell them
as a never opened release?
Apparently Its hard to tell if a MINT release has been re-sealed......
Anyone knows more?

yu are right in every way TCK _King - been to record fairs in de past few years / months and i have come across this too - yu cant be careful these days - you gotta know what you are purchasing - esp on en=bay any thing goes - you gotta be vigilant and care ful on what you see and buy -
.................................................................................................. ::rocks

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 am

Most sealed records I bought are sealed indeed. A few times I have had good suspicions but for the most part you can find any big LP from the eighties sealed without much problem.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 am

If they are sealed, but a little loose...don't buy! It could be home made.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am

Well said EPA-4368 ! I full agree.

I would like adding this:

1- due to increasing fraudolent practice to counterfeit sealings...stickers...photos...records...labels...picture sleeves...etc...collectors are at HIGH RISK nowdays.

2- fraudolent sellers KNOW that the BUYER WILL NEVER OPEN a sealed LP. Many years ago I bought on eBay the HIS HAND IN MINE LP which was auctioned SEALED. Infact it arrived home SEALED. I kept it for about I recall a couple of years as it was (sealed).
After a couple of years, I decided to open it. Well, when I opned it I found the DISC PLAYED AND THE SPINDLE HOLE GOT SIGNS OF USAGE !
Through experience over the years then I learned that Elvis LP's NEVER WERE SOLD SEALED BY RCA UNTILL 1963.
And from 1956 to 1962/63 the sealings were mainly done by shop-owners and/or the big distributors companies like Sears...etc...
And that ORIGINAL SEALINGS have NOT to be that tight, but bit loosy..so for EP's.

3- fraudolent sellers use sealing-machines-devices in order to seal LPs & EPs. Their strategy is buying VG+ and/or M- records at flea markets and/or ebay and then sealing them at home. After a while they re-auction the same records HOME-SEALED earnings more than what they paid for them.

4- fraudolent sellers also can apply FAKE STICKERS on the HOMEMADE sealed LP (sometimes on EP's as well !) . They use very good graphic software and scanners, they got very good printers as well. They print fake stickers at home and GLUED THEM on the FRONT COVER of the Elvis LP's AND/OR when applicable..ON THE SHRINK WRAP ...of the FAKE SEALING OF COURSE !

5- Such those scoundrels know very well that collectors WILL NEVER GO REMOVING STICKERS AN/OR SEALINGS , so they think they are safe .

MY ADVICE: DO NOT BUY SEALED ELVIS VINTAGE RECORDS !

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I saw a video on YOUTUBE a while back and how a private person in his own home added sealing to a used record....but I
couldnt find it now :(
Is vinyl and sealing a US thing only?
I bought a lot of Elvis vinyls in the early 80s and none of them had sealing?
The records I bought was all german pressings.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

KingElvis wrote:I saw a video on YOUTUBE a while back and how a private person in his own home added sealing to a used record....but I
couldnt find it now :(
Is vinyl and sealing a US thing only?
I bought a lot of Elvis vinyls in the early 80s and none of them had sealing?
The records I bought was all german pressings.

NO: counterfeiters do apply their such fraudolent strategy to US releases mainly.

Why ? Very simple. Since the only official Elvis discography is USA and that is the only discography appreciated worldwide and with lot of guides deregulating it, counterfeiters put all their fraudolent efforts on this one !

Foreign records interest to just a VERY SMALL part of collectors, as the 90% of Elvis collectors are after the official US releases. Besides, the biggest counterfeiters are from USA whom know quite NOTHING of other worldwide releases (except some ultra rare worldwide releases been bootlegged and counterfaked over the years... as well for Beatles and other major music icons highly collectable).

An other reason they counterfeit Elvis US records is that these US releases are well linked with Presleyana and counterfeiters can promote their bogus items by this guide.

I would advice to be very careful to the "newly" Elvis discovered stuff listed in the last Presleyana's as well for many other Elvis unusual stuff surfaced from nowhere in the last years when faking technology improved massively & when many of such sellers moved their business on-line (ebay..etc..).

Just few tips > NEVER BUY :

- SUN RECORDS WITH PROMO STAMP
- ALOHA CHICKEN OF THE SEA
- CARTOON COVER
- XMAS GOLD FOIL STICKER
- SEALED EP'S & LP'S UNLESS YOU ARE 1000x1000 SURE IT IS GENUINE.
- DJ COIN OPERATOR'S
- PALM SUNDAY'S AND SIMILAR.
- TEMPORARY COVERS
- GOOD LUCK CHARM SLEEVE WITH NO LOGO ON COVER. IT WAS NEVER A SLEEVE FOR THE COMPACT-33 THIS ONE. THEY WERE ADVANCED STOCK SLEEVES.
- PROMO'S COUPLED WITH UNUSUAL/NEVER SEEN PICTURE SLEEVE
- LP'S WITH UNUSUAL/NEVER SEEN STICKERS APPLIED ON COVER OR SHRINK.
- COLORED LP'S & EP'S.
- FOREIGN RECORDS AND/OR BOOT MISLEADED AS ORIGINAL US PRESSING
- BOOTS OF ORIGINAL US AND/OR WORLDWIDE RECORDS

WATCH OUT of some US Bonus Photo such the so-called Gold-4. See my previous topic about this one.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:45 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Unfortunately, a still-sealed album can be a fake.

I would consider it might be a fake if album has "no" stickers: no store, no price and/or price marked down. And shrink-wrap looks flawless. All that said, exceptions exist. Sometimes you have to go by instinct. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Good points.
Thanks Hound Dog 2000 for great input + others :smt001

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 am

As somebody who buys and sells records on eBay I would say use your own discretion when buying sealed LPs. The most important thing to look for in eBay auctions? As usual it is the seller's rating and feedback.This will tell you alot about whether the individual selling the record is legit. Even better if the person sells records exclusively or often and they have good feedback, then things should be hunky-dory. Also look at the description of the item itself. If it sounds like it was written by an honest, sane individual then chances are it's a go. If the description sounds like it's been written by some loser who's just trying to scam people then of course it's a must avoid.

Let me also add that factory sealed LPs in general are not all that rare to come across. But of course the rarer the title the harder to come by. A few summers ago I got real lucky and found all original sealed first pressings of Girl Happy as well as Elvis Country, Clambake, and two copies of Burning Love & other hits... all with the original inserts! I paid a dollar for all of them with the exception of Burning Love which I paid $25 each for. So it does happen.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 am

The only way I can tell if an album is sealed is if I bought it myself at the store when it came out.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 pm

A Sealed NOW Lp was sold for 56 USD just now....good prise or not?
Maybe just for the seller.