Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 pm

stevelecher wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session, aside from being my all-time favorite from our man. It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

You must have also enjoyed the outtakes of Adam And Evil. :D

I did. But "Suspicious Minds" is a slightly better song. :wink:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 am

promiseland wrote:Image

Back In Memphis has just been listened all the way through on both discs, and the stereo flows from beginning to end with amazing sound.
The Original LP tracks sound as fresh as if they were recorded yesterday. Aside from the Legacy CD (From Elvis In Memphis CD 2) I have never heard them sound so good.

Now for the first time all the Outtakes of Suspicious Minds all in one place in STEREO with additional dialogue and chatter that has been missing from "Finding The Way Home" CD.

Finding The Way Home - CD Back Cover

To my total amazement there are NO edits - Ernst has, believe it or not left the complete "Suspicious Minds Session" intact which includes the "See, See Fu*k You Rider" and all the "God Dam*its", which make this historical content raw and complete to the collector perspective.
"Do You Know Who I Am?" (take 1) seems to have been lifted from the "There's Always Me - Volume 2" set as the drop outs and tape damage is still audible, and is a standout from the rest in quality but still great as it seems to have been worked a bit. Chances are Ernst doesn't have this session tape.

There's Always Me - Volume 2

The highlight of the Discs would be the Unfinished Masters - The sound is phenomenal, and so essential to a '69 session.

I don't usually review CD's unless it's one that really stands out, and this is one of those although this review is short nothing more needs to be said other than the excellent sound quality and completeness on these discs. Ernst Jorgensen has done a fantastic job on this one, he has done a collectors CD the way it should be done!

Disc Reviews:

Disc one starts out with 10 Tracks from The Original Album in optimal sound quality, the overdubs in the mix make these masters shine as they are very clean and fresh sounding for the first time, you would never guess these tapes were almost 44 years old.
A bonus Track 11 was added "Suspicious Minds" most likely because it should have been part of the original LP, and yes it rates above on quality also.

Then Disc one ends with First Takes tracks 12-20.

Track 12 - Inherit The Wind take 1, rehearsal, take 4/M with v.o. #1 4:15. Starts with False Start of 0:52 followed by a Rehearsal heard only on this CD with a Vocal Overdub of the Jan 16th track to give the feel of the songs evolvement.

Track 13 - A Little Bit Of Green (take 1) 3:43 Has been previous released on "The American Way Volume 2" and
"Finding The Way Home" but released here in Stereo for the first time.

Track 14 - And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind (takes 1-3, 5) 6:35 Has been released in Stereo on these CD's "The American Way Volume 3" "Unsurpassed Masters 4", "There's Always Me Volume 3". - But never in this quality.

Track 15 - Do You Know Who I Am? (take 1) 2:40 is a track Elvis does exceptionally well for a first take also released on "Memphis Sessions FTD" tape damage is audible and consistent with boot release "There's Always Me
Volume 2", may be a case of "who sourced who"

Track 16 - From A Jack To A King (takes 1-3) 3:13 Here we have Elvis working this song with a couple false starts and a complete take 3 followed by a rehearsal, which let to the master only 2 takes later. Stereo versions only found on FTD!

Track 17 -You'll Think Of Me (takes 1-6) 6:39. One of Elvis' best works here, and one of my personal favorites and for the first time in Stereo! Elvis struggles a lot here and nearly nails it with Take 6, although perfection is not heard until Take 23 later on disc 2. Takes 1-6 shows how Elvis first began to mold this song, a song that should have been an A-Side.

Track 18 - Without Love (There is Nothing) (take 1) 3:17 Known as an Alternate Master, Elvis nails this song in one take. Also released on "The Memphis '69 Anthology" in stereo but not in this quality.

Track 19 - Suspicious Minds (takes 1-5) 8:33. The Holy Grail of this CD! Along with Count-in and Additional Dialogue , 2 rehearsals and a long false start for the first time anywhere complete and in Stereo! The first rehearsal was faded on "Finding The Way Home" now complete. Ernst decided to leave all bad language intact, which is unusual, but essential to this release to be complete.

Track 20 - Suspicious Minds (take 6) Again history in the making! For the first time Additional Dialogue and 2 false starts unreleased. An edited version was on Memphis Sessions FTD but edited. Another essential piece to the puzzle.

This ends Disc One a jam packed full disc of FTD quality!
Disc two to come..

Thanks You Ernst and Team for the nice Christmas present this year! 8)

Brilliant review. Thanks for upgrading your original post to make it more of a track-by-track review. It was truly fun to read :lol:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 am

great review. Mine will be here next week.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 am

Yes this is FANTASTIC FTD!~.... i have now listened to it all today....STEREO..... that's THE best aspect of this and also BEST EVER SOUND!~......listening again tonight what a marvelous FTD experience!~ :D

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 am

So forgive the dumb question.... :facep:
But where did you all pick up this FTD "Back in Memphis"? I looked on Elvis.com and amazon and could not find it. I have listened to the bootleg version (sortof) on youtube and loved all the outtakes and real language and attitude of the session. Please advise. :D

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:29 am

josephinebeau wrote:So forgive the dumb question.... :facep:
But where did you all pick up this FTD "Back in Memphis"? I looked on Elvis.com and amazon and could not find it. I have listened to the bootleg version (sortof) on youtube and loved all the outtakes and real language and attitude of the session. Please advise. :D

Well, here's the official Elvis site ordering page:

BACK IN MEMPHIS
http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/60/Back_in_Memphis/default.aspx

I have not ordered from this site, so I do not know how well-received it is by the fans.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
josephinebeau wrote:So forgive the dumb question.... :facep:

Well, here's the official Elvis site ordering page:

BACK IN MEMPHIS
http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/60/Back_in_Memphis/default.aspx

I have not ordered from this site, so I do not know how well-received it is by the fans.

You the man! :D
I have ordered some things from them no problems so far.
Thanks so much!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Robt wrote:Brilliant review. Thanks for upgrading your original post to make it more of a track-by-track review. It was truly fun to read :lol:

Thanks for the kind words.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Thank you for your review, Promised Land. Very good job.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:44 pm

YDKM wrote:Yes this is FANTASTIC FTD!~.... i have now listened to it all today....STEREO..... that's THE best aspect of this and also BEST EVER SOUND!~......listening again tonight what a marvelous FTD experience!~ :D

Same here, I keep listening to cd2 over and over... it dont get much better than this folks! Everyone on this board should get this FTD!

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Alreade played it twice from start to finsish..it`s just great music...and I re-discovered Just a Little Bit Of Green..what a gem..!!!!... :smt007

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 am

Mine is on the way . . . can't wait!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Mine is on the way . . . can't wait!

FIVE ***** all the way!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 am

dougkapp wrote:Thank you for your review, Promised Land. Very good job.

Thank you sir.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 pm

are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm

sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

promiseland wrote:
sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.

Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 pm

frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm

i prefer Vic's warm vinyl sound. But hey! To each his/her own. $22.000 in audio gear? Jeez. That's a yearly income for many. I'm not that particular.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:30 pm

JerryNodak wrote:i prefer Vic's warm vinyl sound. But hey! To each his/her own. $22.000 in audio gear? Jeez. That's a yearly income for many. I'm not that particular.

I agree Jerry it's all about what you like . If you have "The Complete Masters Box" then you'll have about every Vic Anesini mastered track you'll need for awhile. :wink:

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I'm pretty much burned out on outtakes anyway... Now comes the "joyous" news that we have the complete unedited SM session with all the profanity intact. Wonderful! Elvis proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how uncouth and profane he could be. I guess to some people having this stuff "on the record" is important. Something to relish. Not me. Ernst saved me thirty bucks. I'll stick with the FEIM/BIM Legacy release. Great music, no profanity.

Well, burn-out is relative. There was a time when some fans would have sold their homes to hear some of the studio tapes later unleashed on the Follow That Dream label. I remember the days of one outtake surfacing every couple of years. It was no fun. At all.

Like it or not, outtakes often reveal the artistic process. What went on behind closed doors in 1969 was never imagined as study material for the fans 40+ years later. One suspects Elvis would not have been profane at all had he known. Futher, Elvis' verbal indiscretions in the studio are primarily available only on the private Follow That Dream label, not SONY or RCA.

Me? I have the masters, love them and know they are what drive me to dig even deeper, and acquire what FTD often provides. "Suspicious Minds" is one of the ten best tracks Elvis ever cut; no way am I passing up a chance to hear how that magic came to be.

Well said. :smt023

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I think Back in Memphis is a good release, but I was expecting a better sound for the masters. Not remastered, but mixed from the original master tapes.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:28 pm

promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.

I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Mike DK wrote:
promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Thanks

I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.

That would depend of which release, and yes some are too bright and eq'd to death..

dougkapp wrote:I think Back in Memphis is a good release, but I was expecting a better sound for the masters. Not remastered, but mixed from the original master tapes.

Have you even heard this yet? The mix is about as good as it gets, unless there is something you want to be drowned out upfront. smt179

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 pm

With the exception of Memphis 74 and part of elvis sings Memphis Tennessee FTD never remixes masters. The goal is to present the historical mix in the best sound.