Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 am

I get what some of you are saying.

When these and most of the studio outtakes came out on bootlegs for years, I played them over and over again.

Now that they are out legally, the fun, the surprise is gone. I don't play them as often.

I kind of wished the starting with the 1969 sessions onward, that it would have been better to
program the discs like this.

Disc one:
The original album.
The undubbed album.

Disc two:
The outtakes.

But no big deal, we are getting some undubbed masters along the way.

We are getting near to the end of the classic albums so enjoy them while you can.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 am

The other thing Ekenee is when the alternates first came out it was interesting to hear something different, a new approach. Now that we're familiar with them, the realization hits that the master usually is substantially better and I have gone back to listening to them, for the most part. For the most part Elvis chose the right take for release.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am

stevelecher wrote:The other thing Ekenee is when the alternates first came out it was interesting to hear something different, a new approach. Now that we're familiar with them, the realization hits that the master usually is substantially better and I have gone back to listening to them, for the most part. For the most part Elvis chose the right take for release.

Yes, of course that is usually the case, but there are some alternates that I like better than the master, just as there are live versions I like better than the master.

Part of the fun in listening outtakes, you never know what chat/talk we might get and we learn alot about the development of an arrangement, or
we may get funny lyric substitutions.

With collecting Elvis it is about discovering something different. A phrasing change, or tempo change.
For example and I can't make up my mind which arrangement is better on "She thinks I still care". Both are very good.

If you listening to 36 straight takes of "do not disturb" with very little change between takes, that can get alittle too much.

But overall, I enjoy hearing the outtakes. Of course, the first listen is the best.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 pm

ekenee wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The other thing Ekenee is when the alternates first came out it was interesting to hear something different, a new approach. Now that we're familiar with them, the realization hits that the master usually is substantially better and I have gone back to listening to them, for the most part. For the most part Elvis chose the right take for release.

Yes, of course that is usually the case, but there are some alternates that I like better than the master, just as there are live versions I like better than the master.

Part of the fun in listening outtakes, you never know what chat/talk we might get and we learn alot about the development of an arrangement, or

With collecting Elvis it is about discovering something different. A phrasing change, or tempo change.
For example and I can't make up my mind which arrangement is better on "She thinks I still care". Both are very good.

If you listening to 36 straight takes of "do not disturb" with very little change between takes, that can get alittle too much.

But overall, I enjoy hearing the outtakes. Of course, the first listen is the best.

It' the evolving of the song to what it became, what is most interesting , just listen to "In The Ghetto" up to the master, it shows the pure genius of Elvis' talent as a creative artist.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:24 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:FTD could make more room for takes by putting the "Memphis Sessions" album back into print and not including those takes on the album "From Elvis in Memphis". Of course it's too late to do that for "Back in Memphis"

Instead you could easily do a two-volume type of release. The original album has to be there - no matter what.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:57 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session, aside from being my all-time favorite from our man. It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:00 pm

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:

It' the evolving of the song to what it became, what is most interesting , just listen to "In The Ghetto" up to the master, it shows the pure genius of Elvis' talent as a creative artist.

your right on there promiseland

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 pm

stevelecher wrote:I know what Jerry is saying and I don't listen to outtakes that often, unless I'm listening to a new FTD. I still want to own the new FTD's though. The recent format with the original album, bonus cuts that probably should have been on the album and then the first takes on disc 1, generally makes for a great album. I rarely even play any of the tracks on disc 2, though I'm glad to have them included.

We've had so many alternates released through the years now that unless something real different comes along, it hardly registers anymore. And the fact is, for the most part, we've heard most of the outtakes and now we're just getting them repackaged in a sensible manner, in great sound, on these wonderful classic album FTD's.

But some of us don't have a big pile of bootlegs. So getting these sessions form the Memphis Sessions is a great thing.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:48 pm

promiseland wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Oh Yeah, that's what I meant when I wrote, "we learn alot about the developement of an arrangement".
Sometimes it's like the band and elvis are learning the song on the spot.
Check out "What she's really like" or "Tonight's so right for love", and they get better and better and better as it goes.
"Maries the name" is one that comes to mind where the early takes are very very primitive compared to the master.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:45 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I love the unedited master of "A Little Bit Of Green", especially the ending, when Elvis tells us his opinion to that tune.

Not only that, in the beginning of the track before Elvis vocals come in he seems to mimic the rhythm by making subtle funny noises with his mouth, incredible! I've never spotted this all these years as it was never quite audible in the previous mono offerings of this track. Fascinating listen, phenomenal sound, such an essential FTD release.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session, aside from being my all-time favorite from our man. It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

You must have also enjoyed the outtakes of Adam And Evil. :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:47 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session... It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

Even more human?! :shock: I think Elvis was as human as he was gonna' get without those mistakes. I'm jus' sayin'.

promiseland wrote:It' the evolving of the song to what it became, what is most interesting , just listen to "In The Ghetto" up to the master, it shows the pure genius of Elvis' talent as a creative artist.

"In The Ghetto" was an 'okay' recording by Elvis, but it certainly isn't on the same level as "One Boy,Two Little Girls"!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Unfortunately we haven't been able to hear how One Boy, Two Little Girls developed in the studio.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

stevelecher wrote:Unfortunately we haven't been able to hear how One Boy, Two Little Girls developed in the studio.

And there are more songs that comes to mind like: Because Of Love, Anyone, I Don´t want To etc :wink:.
Elvis sang like a bird in those early 60´s :smt007.
Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Unfortunately we haven't been able to hear how One Boy, Two Little Girls developed in the studio.

And there are more songs that comes to mind like: Because Of Love, Anyone, I Don´t want To etc
Elvis sang like a bird in those early 60´s

So much more to look forward to!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:16 am

Blue River wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session... It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

Even more human?! :shock: I think Elvis was as human as he was gonna' get without those mistakes. I'm jus' sayin'.

You didn't know Elvis was an Embryonic Clone of an Extra Terrestrial? Where you been Blue River get with the program buddy! smt202

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 am

promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:

You didn't know Elvis was an Embryonic Clone of an Extra Terrestrial? Where you been Blue River get with the program buddy! smt202

Seeing that you have started up this topic and "listened all the way through on both discs, and the stereo flows from beginning to end with amazing sound". I feel that you should provide much more of a track-by-track review than to just merely say "all the outtakes and studio chat of Suspicious Minds had been included". Come on :twisted:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 am

Robt wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Seeing that you have started up this topic and "listened all the way through on both discs, and the stereo flows from beginning to end with amazing sound". I feel that you should provide much more of a track-by-track review than to just merely say "all the outtakes and studio chat of Suspicious Minds had been included". Come on :twisted:

Ok give me time to edit my original post and I'll put a layout of both discs. :wink:
Disc one is up to review.
Last edited by promiseland on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 am

I'm listening right now. (So, no track by track review here.) But wow! What a treat it is to hear so far inside the creative process in the making of such important music, in striking (yet very warm) sound quality.

Thanks, Ernst! (And yes, you gave us what we wanted. Oh yeah, there are some Victorians around, but believe me, the vast majority of us want the REAL DEAL, which this is!) Oh, it's wonderful! "You want earphones, Bobby? Right here, over the wall." What great sessions!

:D :smt020

rjm

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:56 am

promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:

"Embryonic Clone of an Extra Terrestrial"? Doesn't that actually mean "Prince From Another Planet"? Just an observation. :wink:

rjm

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 am

rjm wrote:I'm listening right now. (So, no track by track review here.)

rjm

Yes go to my original topic .

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 am

promiseland wrote:

rjm

Yes, thanks. I was thinking about "Suspicious Minds," and how it so clearly and obviously should have been on this album, for every reason! It not only was the hit record, but it fits thematically as well, since this album's themes are far more personal than those of the first album (which had a great deal of social commentary, even on songs where it's not overt). I think they decided to leave it off. And think it's because they had this idea that it should pair with the live album as a live/studio double. It did a disservice to both! This was an excellent album in its own right, and needed that one song. But they only "had" enough material for a single LP live album, because I guess the concerts were a little too freewheeling for them to just release the best of them - they could have easily made a great double live album, but it would have had to include more of just the sort of things they "couldn't" release, particularly his words, in all their glory (well, not ALL - some). Also, "Suspicious Minds" was done live on the live part of the set. So I guess they didn't want to "duplicate" it. I don't see the reasoning in that at all; they are very different, and especially if they were on two different albums . . .

This album would be much more widely known through the years if they had just put that one song on it, and released it separately.

rjm
P.S. -- Just read the liner notes, and they address this, but make no judgement.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 am

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

rjm

Yes, thanks. I was thinking about "Suspicious Minds," and how it so clearly and obviously should have been on this album, for every reason! It not only was the hit record, but it fits thematically as well, since this album's themes are far more personal than those of the first album (which had a great deal of social commentary, even on songs where it's not overt). I think they decided to leave it off. And think it's because they had this idea that it should pair with the live album as a live/studio double. It did a disservice to both! This was an excellent album in its own right, and needed that one song. But they only "had" enough material for a single LP live album, because I guess the concerts were a little too freewheeling for them to just release the best of them - they could have easily made a great double live album, but it would have had to include more of just the sort of things they "couldn't" release, particularly his words, in all their glory (well, not ALL - some). Also, "Suspicious Minds" was done live on the live part of the set. So I guess they didn't want to "duplicate" it. I don't see the reasoning in that at all; they are very different, and especially if they were on two different albums . . .

This album would be much more widely known through the years if they had just put that one song on it, and released it separately.

rjm
P.S. -- Just read the liner notes, and they address this, but make no judgement.

I do agree with you.
I think the mentality back then was different than it is now.
This album was probably considered leftovers from the "From Elvis in Memphis" sessions,
just as "Love letters" was to "Thats the way it is".

But I think that "stanger in my own hometown" should have been on the same album as "In the ghetto".

I don't like the division of songs and how they choose to program the albums.
Each suffers in its own way.

The live album could have been a double album. They turn around and put a couple of songs from 1969 on
an album titled "on stage-1970??
They had so much good material, I don't think they knew what to do with it, live or studio.
They held back so much good stuff back then its mind boggling.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am

ekenee wrote:
rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

rjm

rjm

I do agree with you.
I think the mentality back then was different than it is now.
This album was probably considered leftovers from the "From Elvis in Memphis" sessions,
just as "Love letters" was to "Thats the way it is".

But I think that "stanger in my own hometown" should have been on the same album as "In the ghetto".

I don't like the division of songs and how they choose to program the albums.
Each suffers in its own way.

Yes, "Stranger" should have been on FEIM. But, LPs were limited in that you could only put so many songs on it before the sound quality would deteriorate. Which song or songs ("Stranger" is quite long) would you toss off of FEIM? This question was asked, and I don't think anyone gave an answer that satisfied most. The more you think about it, the more you cannot find one. At least, I can't.

So you'd have to add more songs, which would take another piece of vinyl.

Then again, the Memphis sessions would not have worked as a double LP. I think they're really different thematically. (Only two things I don't like: the titles on the albums, and that stupid yellow-sweater picture on the back of FEIM. It should have been a gatefold, with actual liner notes, musician credits, and originally-shot photos of Elvis in his hometown in 1969. That would have been awesome. They could have hired Wertheimer! Can't you just imagine?)

ekenee wrote:
The live album could have been a double album. They turn around and put a couple of songs from 1969 on
an album titled "on stage-1970??
They had so much good material, I don't think they knew what to do with it, live or studio.
They held back so much good stuff back then its mind boggling.

Among musicians, for a period of time (I think in the 1970s), RCA was known as "Record Cemetery of America."

rjm

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 pm

promiseland wrote: Yes go to my original topic .

THANKS for the great review.
CD arrived here today - Can't wait to play it all.

Cheers, Piers