Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:FTD could make more room for takes by putting the "Memphis Sessions" album back into print and not including those takes on the album "From Elvis in Memphis". Of course it's too late to do that for "Back in Memphis"

Of course that would break the theme of the classic album series.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 am

Back in Memphis is indeed a terrific release. From what I am listening too, it sounds great, but the reverb on the ouutakes gets a little to get used too, other than that, another great Classic album treatment.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sasho wrote:who did mastering
of the

Sebastian Jeansson!
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/elvis-back-in-memphis-ftd-october-2012.296998/

Going by Vic Anesini's mastering of the Original Album Masters of "Back In Memphis" on "From Elvis In Memphis Legacy CD" I will choose Sebastian Jeansson's mastering on the FTD "Back In Memphis" Original Album Masters hands down.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

Patrick68 wrote:Back in Memphis is indeed a terrific release. From what I am listening too, it sounds great, but the reverb on the ouutakes gets a little to get used too, other than that, another great Classic album treatment.

Which are you referring to?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 am

I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 pm

promiseland wrote:These tapes are going on 44 years old and a little dullness here in there is to be expected, over all this in my opinion is the best session compilation on 2 discs from FTD from 69 to 76 so far and this is the way FTD should continue in the future to give the fans all the raw unedited unpatched, undeliberately spliced material .

I really expect Volumes 1 & 2 for the "From Elvis In Memphis" album but I'm not sure if this is going to happen. Probably not.
I wonder what will be the content of two discs and if they really save the remaining tracks from the 69 Session for a different release.
promiseland wrote:Which are you referring to?

Almost all of the outtakes have an rather unnatural echo on them (and a little too much for my taste). Remind me somehow of the artificial echo they used in the 90's.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Thank you everyone for the reviews. Really looking forward to this new FTD, especially the "Suspicious Minds" session.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

It is highly unlikely anything on this release was lifted from bootlegs. Also, it is worth noting that Chips Moman's production techniques were often as messy as Sam Phillips work with Presley at Sun fourteen years before, which might explain some of the audio anomalies on the tapes left behind.

Can't argue with the results, though!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 pm

etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!

Absolutely...stunning...!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 am

promiseland wrote:Image

Back In Memphis has just been listened all the way through on both discs, and the stereo flows from beginning to end with amazing sound.
The Original LP tracks sound as fresh as if they were recorded yesterday. Aside from the Legacy CD (From Elvis In Memphis CD 2) I have never heard them sound so good.

Now for the first time all the Outtakes of Suspicious Minds all in one place in STEREO with additional dialogue and chatter that has been missing from "Finding The Way Home" CD.

Finding The Way Home - CD Back Cover

To my total amazement there are NO edits - Ernst has, believe it or not left the complete "Suspicious Minds Session" intact which includes the "See, See Fu*k You Rider" and all the "God Dam*its", which make this historical content raw and complete to the collector perspective.
"Do You Know Who I Am?" (take 1) seems to have been lifted from the "There's Always Me - Volume 2" set as the drop outs and tape damage is still audible, and is a standout from the rest in quality but still great as it seems to have been worked a bit. Chances are Ernst doesn't have this session tape.

There's Always Me - Volume 2

The highlight of the Discs would be the Unfinished Masters - The sound is phenomenal, and so essential to a '69 session.

I don't usually review CD's unless it's one that really stands out, and this is one of those although this review is short nothing more needs to be said other than the excellent sound quality and completeness on these discs. Ernst Jorgensen has done a fantastic job on this one, he has done a collectors CD the way it should be done!
Thanks You Ernst and Team for the nice Christmas present this year!

Yeah great stuff. But what about providing comments on other (perhaps all) tracks and outtakes ? Not much of a review if you just chinwag about one or 2 songs.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 am

I'm pretty much burned out on outtakes anyway... Now comes the "joyous" news that we have the complete unedited SM session with all the profanity intact. Wonderful! Elvis proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how uncouth and profane he could be. I guess to some people having this stuff "on the record" is important. Something to relish. Not me. Ernst saved me thirty bucks. I'll stick with the FEIM/BIM Legacy release. Great music, no profanity.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:53 am

JerryNodak wrote:I'm pretty much burned out on outtakes anyway... Now comes the "joyous" news that we have the complete unedited SM session with all the profanity intact. Wonderful! Elvis proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how uncouth and profane he could be. I guess to some people having this stuff "on the record" is important. Something to relish. Not me. Ernst saved me thirty bucks. I'll stick with the FEIM/BIM Legacy release. Great music, no profanity.

Im with Jerry, I'm burned out on outtakes. I play them one and thats it. Even my beloved Jailhouse Rock(last FTD I bought). It does get to you after a while. Give me the masters, all killer no filler.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 am

I love listening to the whole "Suspicious Minds" recording session, aside from being my all-time favorite from our man. It's fascinating to hear how the song develops (and Elvis does the same mistake over and over again, makes him even more human).

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is highly unlikely anything on this release was lifted from bootlegs.

Indeed, more likely that the tape drop-outs are inherent on the original tape that the old There's Always Me tape derives from.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 am

r&b wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I'm pretty much burned out on outtakes anyway... Now comes the "joyous" news that we have the complete unedited SM session with all the profanity intact. Wonderful! Elvis proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how uncouth and profane he could be. I guess to some people having this stuff "on the record" is important. Something to relish. Not me. Ernst saved me thirty bucks. I'll stick with the FEIM/BIM Legacy release. Great music, no profanity.

Im with Jerry, I'm burned out on outtakes. I play them one and thats it. Even my beloved Jailhouse Rock(last FTD I bought). It does get to you after a while. Give me the masters, all killer no filler.

Not me. Jailhouse Rock outtakes hit the stereo system often, as well as Guitar Man and GI Blues lately. My Back In Memphis, 6000 Paradise, Promised Land and Good Times are scheduled to arrive from Shop Elvis on Elvis' birthday. :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:39 am

Well, burn-out is relative. There was a time when some fans would have sold their homes to hear some of the studio tapes later unleashed on the Follow That Dream label. I remember the days of one outtake surfacing every couple of years. It was no fun. At all.

Like it or not, outtakes often reveal the artistic process. What went on behind closed doors in 1969 was never imagined as study material for the fans 40+ years later. One suspects Elvis would not have been profane at all had he known. Futher, Elvis' verbal indiscretions in the studio are primarily available only on the private Follow That Dream label, not SONY or RCA.

Me? I have the masters, love them and know they are what drive me to dig even deeper, and acquire what FTD often provides. "Suspicious Minds" is one of the ten best tracks Elvis ever cut; no way am I passing up a chance to hear how that magic came to be.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well, burn-out is relative. There was a time when some fans would have sold their homes to hear some of the studio tapes later unleashed on the Follow That Dream label. I remember the days of one outtake surfacing every couple of years. It was no fun. At all.

Like it or not, outtakes often reveal the artistic process. What went on behind closed doors in 1969 was never imagined as study material for the fans 40+ years later. One suspects Elvis would not have been profane at all had he known. Futher, Elvis' verbal indiscretions in the studio are primarily available only on the private Follow That Dream label, not SONY or RCA.

Me? I have the masters, love them and know they are what drive me to dig even deeper, and acquire what FTD often provides. "Suspicious Minds" is one of the ten best tracks Elvis ever cut; no way am I passing up a chance to hear how that magic came to be.
Well said. ::rocks

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Right on!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Like it or not, outtakes often reveal the artistic process. What went on behind closed doors in 1969 was never imagined as study material for the fans 40+ years later. One suspects Elvis would not have been profane at all had he known.
Futher, Elvis' verbal indiscretions in the studio are primarily available only on the private Follow That Dream label, not SONY or RCA.

Me? I have the masters, love them and know they are what drive me to dig even deeper, and acquire what FTD often
provides. "Suspicious Minds" is one of the ten best tracks Elvis ever cut; no way am I passing up a chance to hear how that magic came to be.

........................................................................................................................

Yes John I can recall those days too - In the past we were lucky ta get a number of tracks all in one go - Now since FTD has estabished them selves to us fans we can expect a number of tracks all on 1 cd or two or on each release -

As for The American Sound Sessions as you may have recalled and remembered these have been around now for a few years - now and have made their rounds -

In my collection I do own many cds such as -American Rejects , AR 1569 (Released 1992),
American Crown Jewels-Bilko 1800 (Released 1996), And various cds such as these - I love all ftd cds too -

I consider Ftd as very competetive and what they release is worth it for old and new fans alike -

Mind you on teh commercial side of cd releases in general market here in Uk - there are more compilations with diffrent covers and same songs that has been released before time and time again -

Ftd lifts that procedure and make great effort in accomodating the fans with alternate trax - seldom heard generally -

Since BMG has been taken over by Sony - I hope and pray we as fans get what we deserve and have been awaitn for for many years -
::rocks

''ROCKN ALWAYS WITH ELVIS ''
HE ROCKS MY WORLD ALWAYS -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 am

Doc: I, too, remember a time when I was interested in the "process," but for me that time is gone. But by all means enjoy the full SM session. It's likely that my future purchases in the 'Classic' series will be few. Have the masters. Don't need the outtakes.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:13 am

Another thing you may enjoy Doc is the rehearsal part for Suspicious Minds Is complete for the first time here on this CD. 8)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 am

You'll come around. They always come around.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 am

Robt wrote:Yeah great stuff. But what about providing comments on other (perhaps all) tracks and outtakes ? Not much of a review if you just chinwag about one or 2 songs.

I think just about everyone here is aware of the outtake process on this CD, as they have been reviewed many times over, the real issue here is the consistency of quality that FTD has provided in this release as mentioned in my original post.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 am

Matthew wrote:

You'll come around. They always come around.

You forget, Matthew. I've already been around. I understand how the dog and pony show works.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:36 am

I know what Jerry is saying and I don't listen to outtakes that often, unless I'm listening to a new FTD. I still want to own the new FTD's though. The recent format with the original album, bonus cuts that probably should have been on the album and then the first takes on disc 1, generally makes for a great album. I rarely even play any of the tracks on disc 2, though I'm glad to have them included.

We've had so many alternates released through the years now that unless something real different comes along, it hardly registers anymore. And the fact is, for the most part, we've heard most of the outtakes and now we're just getting them repackaged in a sensible manner, in great sound, on these wonderful classic album FTD's.