Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Also worth mentioning . . . this is a very good album cover.

Elvis just looks cool . . .

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:Also worth mentioning . . . this is a very good album cover.

Avoid using reformatted images from that nasty site ...

Here's the actual FTD cover:

121200_Back In Memphis_FTD.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 am

BIM has always been a favourite cover shot of mine, too.

And whether by accident or design, it has some parallels with the artwork of Elvis' legendary first album.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 am

I want to go back to the rehearsal of "Little bit of green".

Something is very strange about this recording.

Not sure but my inner voice is telling me this is a some kind of edit/ patch job.

There are a few weird artifacts digital or whatever, but the stereo image is plain weird with the instruments seemingly
changing places. There is a section where one instrument jumps from the right side to left and back again, in seconds.
Then there is a stange cluster of sounds in one section that don't seem natural at all. It could be an Ernst creation.

And the fact that Elvis is clear, then far away, then clear again. I like it, but I have doubts if that's the way it really sounds on tape.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 am

ekenee wrote:I want to go back to the rehearsal of "Little bit of green".

Not sure but my inner voice is telling me this is a some kind of edit/ patch job.

There are a few weird artifacts digital or whatever, but the stereo image is plain weird with the instruments seemingly
changing places. There is a section where one instrument jumps from the right side to left and back again, in seconds.
Then there is a stange cluster of sounds in one section that don't seem natural at all.
It could be an Ernst creation.

And the fact that Elvis is clear, then far away, then clear again. I like it, but I have doubts if that's the way it really sounds on tape.

This has already been thoroughly explained on this topic.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74178&p=1121203#p1121203

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am

I always found it weird that on the From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis album cover had a picture of Elvis in Las Vegas on the Memphis side, and Elvis in Burbank on the Las Vegas side! At least they could have gotten it HALF right!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Avoid using reformatted images from that nasty site ...

Here's the actual FTD cover:

121200_Back In Memphis_FTD.JPG

Does anyone know the date this picture was taken for the cover shot?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 am

skatterbrane wrote:I always found it weird that on the From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis album cover had a picture of Elvis in Las Vegas on the Memphis side, and Elvis in Burbank on the Las Vegas side! At least they could have gotten it HALF right!

Yes, and on the From Elvis In Memphis album... a '68 pic on the front cover and a '63 pic on the back! :facep:

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:20 am

Blue River wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I always found it weird that on the From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis album cover had a picture of Elvis in Las Vegas on the Memphis side, and Elvis in Burbank on the Las Vegas side! At least they could have gotten it HALF right!

Yes, and on the From Elvis In Memphis album... a '68 pic on the front cover and a '63 pic on the back! :facep:

Still beats The "Elvis In Concert" LP. :D

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I want to go back to the rehearsal of "Little bit of green".

Then there is a stange cluster of sounds in one section that don't seem natural at all.
It could be an Ernst creation.

This has already been thoroughly explained on this topic.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74178&p=1121203#p1121203

There isn't any explanation I can find that satisfies my quest for the truth regarding that recording.
There are several parts of that recording that are questionable.
Nice try though.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 am

I recall something about the cover was shot and the guitar was inserted. Something about the guitar was not real or changed.
Anyone?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 am

ekenee wrote:I recall something about the cover was shot and the guitar was inserted. Something about the guitar was not real or changed.
Anyone?

ekenee I'm going to post the cover shot in the Picture Section I'm sure there are some experts there that can give more info.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 am

Well he did have a Black Gretcsh eletric and a blonde Gibson J200 acoustic during the 69 Vegas engagement. I can tell by the little I can see of the bridge, it is most likely a Gibson J200 in that picture, so I would tend to think it is an unretouched photo.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 am

There are no strings on the orignal album design on the guitar...

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 am

skatterbrane wrote:Well he did have a Black Gretcsh eletric and a blonde Gibson J200 acoustic during the 69 Vegas engagement. I can tell by the little I can see of the bridge, it is most likely a Gibson J200 in that picture, so I would tend to think it is an unretouched photo.

Good eye skatterbrane! Julian Grant has it as July 31st 1969 in the Picture Section.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74521

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 am

JEFF d wrote:There are no strings on the orignal album design on the guitar...

JEFF d
EP fan

I do not think the photo includes enough of the guitar to even see the strings.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 am

skatterbrane wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

Google the album, you will see what im talking about... im talking about the orignal design

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:11 am

JEFF d wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

Google the album, you will see what im talking about... im talking about the orignal design

JEFF d
EP fan

Here's a Hi-Rez pic of the original LP, looks the same to me?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 am

http://rebelrebelnow.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -1969.html

look at it here...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 am

Don't forget the cropping was a little different on the 8-track or the Reel to reel version.

The guitar hole was added I believe to one of those.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 am

JEFF d wrote:http://rebelrebelnow.blogspot.com/2011/01/elvis-presley-back-in-memphis-1969.html

look at it here...

Ok I see what you are talking about .
The Original LP had a banner at the bottom as you can see in the attachment, this banner was only on the "From Vegas To Memphis" version. The LP was never originally released without this banner on the Double LP. The Image you have posted is an image that someone has altered to remove the banner (not original) . The "Back In Memphis" (single LP) is fit to the cover because no banner was used, and never had that bottom portion of the guitar.

The "From Vegas To Memphis" LP actually raised up the photo to add the banner.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am

Oops sry i should have pulled my album out and taken a look you are correct about the album art.... it was the orignal cd release in the 90s that had the oddball guitar design w. no strings on the coverart

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc, this has always been a favorite song of mine from these sessions and somehow, I imagined you would find this to be a lesser effort from these sessions. Seeing you write that this is an excellent song from the sessions surprised me in its level of appreciation. I don't know how anyone wouldn't like this song.

Another thing I like about it is it has no horns or strings overdubbed. It's just Elvis and a tight band without all the extra syrup.

It's a beautiful melody and Chips creates a superb, gentle arrangement. Elvis' vocal is so damned good on the master take, not to mention the puttakes. And Bobby Wood's piano is so pleasing. Recall Presley called him the most commercial player he'd ever met -- a pure compliment.

And, as famous as Presley was with the ladies, you can tell he has indeed felt envious of someone he loved being with another. Think June 13, 1964.

Pardon? Are you trying to say that Elvis was envious of Wood's successful "love affair" with the piano? :smt017 (And I don't recall what exactly happened on June 13, 1964. I could get out Day-By-Day, but I have a touch of the flu, and don't really feel like doing it right now. So, what happened on that particular day?)

rjm

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc, this has always been a favorite song of mine from these sessions and somehow, I imagined you would find this to be a lesser effort from these sessions. Seeing you write that this is an excellent song from the sessions surprised me in its level of appreciation. I don't know how anyone wouldn't like this song.

Another thing I like about it is it has no horns or strings overdubbed. It's just Elvis and a tight band without all the extra syrup.

It's a beautiful melody and Chips creates a superb, gentle arrangement. Elvis' vocal is so damned good on the master take, not to mention the puttakes. And Bobby Wood's piano is so pleasing. Recall Presley called him the most commercial player he'd ever met -- a pure compliment.

And, as famous as Presley was with the ladies, you can tell he has indeed felt envious of someone he loved being with another. Think June 13, 1964.

Pardon? Are you trying to say that Elvis was envious of Wood's successful "love affair" with the piano? :smt017 (And I don't recall what exactly happened on June 13, 1964. I could get out Day-By-Day, but I have a touch of the flu, and don't really feel like doing it right now. So, what happened on that particular day?)

rjm

Ann Margret

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 pm

The Cd from Ftd of this is brilliant - I have always loved Elvis songs from this era - Lovn this Cd from FTD - With great out takes and songs from American Sound Studios - Love It - One of my favorite eras - I wish FTD would release more like these gems in the future for all of us to enjoy ::rocks - :smt001 :smt007 :smt007 ::rocks