Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.


Yes they do. Neither is bad it's all a matter of do you like Pepsi or Coke.

The difference isn't even that big, imo :)

The FTD does have slightly improved imaging and resolution than the LE, but it's still a far cry from the hi-res titles I've listened to lately.

There are however mastering limitations to 44 year old tape. :D

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 pm

promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.


Yes they do. Neither is bad it's all a matter of do you like Pepsi or Coke.

The difference isn't even that big, imo :)

The FTD does have slightly improved imaging and resolution than the LE, but it's still a far cry from the hi-res titles I've listened to lately.

There are however mastering limitations to 44 year old tape. :D


Yes, but Elvis in Hi-res would be a dream come true, at least for me. Perhaps there's hope now that HDtracks have some Sony titles.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.


Yes they do. Neither is bad it's all a matter of do you like Pepsi or Coke.

The difference isn't even that big, imo :)

The FTD does have slightly improved imaging and resolution than the LE, but it's still a far cry from the hi-res titles I've listened to lately.

There are however mastering limitations to 44 year old tape. :D


Yes, but Elvis in Hi-res would be a dream come true, at least for me. Perhaps there's hope now that HDtracks have some Sony titles.

Some Blu-ray discs in true HD Audio housing Elvis' masters would indeed be a dream come true. :smt007

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!


Maybe I missed something said somewhere, but can't hurt to ask anyway. Why does Elvis's voice "snap in" at 2:03? And then, later, he seems to pat the mic twice, and then says something indicating he didn't mean to do that - he laughs, and says G--d---. Did he know the mic had a problem? Was it the mic? Or the tape?

Just curious.

rjm

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 am

rjm wrote:
etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!


Maybe I missed something said somewhere, but can't hurt to ask anyway. Why does Elvis's voice "snap in" at 2:03? And then, later, he seems to pat the mic twice, and then says something indicating he didn't mean to do that - he laughs, and says G--d---. Did he know the mic had a problem? Was it the mic? Or the tape?

Just curious.

rjm


The rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" is a fascinating, feel-by-the-numbers, almost dream-like piece of tape, never before heard by fans. The tempo is slower, and everyone is finding their place in the sound picture. Elvis' laugh is over a lyrical flub. It's such an excellent song, and so unlike the crap he was recording in previous years. The artist at work!

The "snap" is Chips turning on Elvis' vocal mic. Previous to that you were hearing his voice distantly in one channel, a bleed-through from other mics. Yes, Moman was also finding his place in engineering the song.

He was also mindful of the arrangement.

"Takin' us out, hey, Bobby, uh, don't, don't play real busy right there on the piano now, I don't think that's gonna work out," he says to Bobby Wood at the close.

"It still feels a shade slow to me, I don't know," observes Elvis about the tempo.

Awesome.

---

Has anyone noticed how SUPERB the audio is? Kudos to Sebastian Jeansson! Wow!!

---

ESSENTIAL FOLLOW THAT DREAM RELEASE.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Has anyone noticed how SUPERB the audio is? Kudos to Sebastian Jeansson! Wow!!

It doesn't get any better than this, the audio on this one is true magic, possibly the best-sounding Elvis release ever! Can't wait for the FEIM follow-up myself.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!


Maybe I missed something said somewhere, but can't hurt to ask anyway. Why does Elvis's voice "snap in" at 2:03? And then, later, he seems to pat the mic twice, and then says something indicating he didn't mean to do that - he laughs, and says G--d---. Did he know the mic had a problem? Was it the mic? Or the tape?

Just curious.

rjm


The rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" is a fascinating, feel-by-the-numbers, almost dream-like piece of tape, never before heard by fans. The tempo is slower, and everyone is finding their place in the sound picture. Elvis' laugh is over a lyrical flub. It's such an excellent song, and so unlike the crap he was recording in previous years. The artist at work!

The "snap" is Chips turning on Elvis' vocal mic. Previous to that you were hearing his voice distantly in one channel, a bleed-through from other mics. Yes, Moman was also finding his place in engineering the song.

He was also mindful of the arrangement.

"Takin' us out, hey, Bobby, uh, don't, don't play real busy right there on the piano now, I don't think that's gonna work out," he says to Bobby Wood at the close.

"It still feels a shade slow to me, I don't know," observes Elvis about the tempo.

Awesome.

---

Has anyone noticed how SUPERB the audio is? Kudos to Sebastian Jeansson! Wow!!

---

ESSENTIAL FOLLOW THAT DREAM RELEASE.


Listening to it right now. A great FTD release, hands down!

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!


Maybe I missed something said somewhere, but can't hurt to ask anyway. Why does Elvis's voice "snap in" at 2:03? And then, later, he seems to pat the mic twice, and then says something indicating he didn't mean to do that - he laughs, and says G--d---. Did he know the mic had a problem? Was it the mic? Or the tape?

Just curious.

rjm


The rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" is a fascinating, feel-by-the-numbers, almost dream-like piece of tape, never before heard by fans. The tempo is slower, and everyone is finding their place in the sound picture. Elvis' laugh is over a lyrical flub. It's such an excellent song, and so unlike the crap he was recording in previous years. The artist at work!

The "snap" is Chips turning on Elvis' vocal mic. Previous to that you were hearing his voice distantly in one channel, a bleed-through from other mics. Yes, Moman was also finding his place in engineering the song.

He was also mindful of the arrangement.

"Takin' us out, hey, Bobby, uh, don't, don't play real busy right there on the piano now, I don't think that's gonna work out," he says to Bobby Wood at the close.

"It still feels a shade slow to me, I don't know," observes Elvis about the tempo.

Awesome.

---

Has anyone noticed how SUPERB the audio is? Kudos to Sebastian Jeansson! Wow!!

---

ESSENTIAL FOLLOW THAT DREAM RELEASE.

Yessir Doc! It was my main inspiration for this topic.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Doc, this has always been a favorite song of mine from these sessions and somehow, I imagined you would find this to be a lesser effort from these sessions. Seeing you write that this is an excellent song from the sessions surprised me in its level of appreciation. I don't know how anyone wouldn't like this song.

Another thing I like about it is it has no horns or strings overdubbed. It's just Elvis and a tight band without all the extra syrup.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm really liking this a lot. More than I thought I would. I only have one bootleg from the sessions, so most of the session is new to me except tracks that FTD has already done. And everything sounds great. Wonder how long before From Elvis In Memphis.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Anyone know where this is available in the uk? Cant be found at HMV or Amazon as far as i can see! Cheers.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

The undubbed master of Stranger In My Own Hometown is worth the price of admission. I like all the unfinished masters, And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind is nice to hear unadorned.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 pm

The more I listen to it the more I get the impression.that it is the best FTD ever..it`s just a master piece in every sense..

Kudos !, Mr. Joergensen & Co. !!!

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Can't wait until its predecessor will show up. :D

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The more I listen to it the more I get the impression.that it is the best FTD ever..it`s just a master piece in every sense..

Kudos !, Mr. Joergensen & Co. !!!

Man, I'm still kind of partial to those FTD'S of Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody, His Hand In Mine, etc. There are more than a few FTD masterpieces. Most of these "classic albums" are top notch.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm

stevelecher wrote: There are more than a few FTD masterpieces.

So true.

L Ray wrote: Wonder how long before From Elvis In Memphis.

Hopefully sometime in 2013, along with G.I. Blues Vol. 2, and...

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:54 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc, this has always been a favorite song of mine from these sessions and somehow, I imagined you would find this to be a lesser effort from these sessions. Seeing you write that this is an excellent song from the sessions surprised me in its level of appreciation. I don't know how anyone wouldn't like this song.

Another thing I like about it is it has no horns or strings overdubbed. It's just Elvis and a tight band without all the extra syrup.


It's a beautiful melody and Chips creates a superb, gentle arrangement. Elvis' vocal is so damned good on the master take, not to mention the puttakes. And Bobby Wood's piano is so pleasing. Recall Presley called him the most commercial player he'd ever met -- a pure compliment.

And, as famous as Presley was with the ladies, you can tell he has indeed felt envious of someone he loved being with another. Think June 13, 1964.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 am

stevelecher wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:The more I listen to it the more I get the impression.that it is the best FTD ever..it`s just a master piece in every sense..

Kudos !, Mr. Joergensen & Co. !!!

Man, I'm still kind of partial to those FTD'S of Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody, His Hand In Mine, etc. There are more than a few FTD masterpieces. Most of these "classic albums" are top notch.


Add to that Guitar Man, Elvis In Person, Elvis Country, GI Blues and especially both Jailhouse Rock's. The list is long.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 am

Just listened to it today. AMAZING sound quality . . . major kudos to Sebastian and Vic. The music really sounds fabulous.

The one track that really stood out to me was on Disc 1: Inherit The Wind take 1, rehearsal, take 4/M with v.o. #1

The unfinished masters was also a very nice plus.

Really enjoyed everything about this FTD. Thank you to Ernst, Roger and the FTD team!

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:50 am

jungleroombear wrote:Anyone know where this is available in the uk? Cant be found at HMV or Amazon as far as i can see! Cheers.


Wow!! The best place to get this and all your FTDs is Now Dig This.

http://e.dominohosting.biz/dca/NDT.nsf/ ... em=FTDC108

Gotta say, this is another fantastic release and my top five FTDs keep changin'.
I hope FEIM and GI Blues Vol.2 are hot on the heels in 2013.
Thank you Ernst, Roger and Team.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:31 am

Sorry, double post. :sosorry:
Last edited by jon_burrows on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:
etp wrote:I love the rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" ... never heard something like that before ... it's not that "let's try it"-thing but rather the "let's sing it and get through it somehow" ... very fascinating listening!


Maybe I missed something said somewhere, but can't hurt to ask anyway. Why does Elvis's voice "snap in" at 2:03? And then, later, he seems to pat the mic twice, and then says something indicating he didn't mean to do that - he laughs, and says G--d---. Did he know the mic had a problem? Was it the mic? Or the tape?

Just curious.

rjm


The rehearsal of "A Little Bit Of Green" is a fascinating, feel-by-the-numbers, almost dream-like piece of tape, never before heard by fans. The tempo is slower, and everyone is finding their place in the sound picture. Elvis' laugh is over a lyrical flub. It's such an excellent song, and so unlike the crap he was recording in previous years. The artist at work!

The "snap" is Chips turning on Elvis' vocal mic. Previous to that you were hearing his voice distantly in one channel, a bleed-through from other mics. Yes, Moman was also finding his place in engineering the song.

He was also mindful of the arrangement.

"Takin' us out, hey, Bobby, uh, don't, don't play real busy right there on the piano now, I don't think that's gonna work out," he says to Bobby Wood at the close.

"It still feels a shade slow to me, I don't know," observes Elvis about the tempo.

Awesome.

---

Has anyone noticed how SUPERB the audio is? Kudos to Sebastian Jeansson! Wow!!

---

ESSENTIAL FOLLOW THAT DREAM RELEASE.


Well, not very likely. If that "snap" is Chips turning on his vocal mic, then where is the "snap" when he turns his vocal mic off?
He would have to have turned it on, off, then on again as Elvis is on-mic on that first line of the song.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 am

Ciscoking wrote:The more I listen to it the more I get the impression.that it is the best FTD ever..it`s just a master piece in every sense..

Kudos !, Mr. Joergensen & Co. !!!

Exactly my point Ciscoking! Agree 100%.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm

jon_burrows wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Anyone know where this is available in the uk? Cant be found at HMV or Amazon as far as i can see! Cheers.


Wow!! The best place to get this and all your FTDs is Now Dig This.

http://e.dominohosting.biz/dca/NDT.nsf/ ... em=FTDC108

Gotta say, this is another fantastic release and my top five FTDs keep changin'.
I hope FEIM and GI Blues Vol.2 are hot on the heels in 2013.
Thank you Ernst, Roger and Team.


Thanks! Wow I didn't realise how many FTD's i have missed... lots of catching up to do!

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:29 pm

new layout of 'nowdigthis' site is better too