Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I'm pretty much burned out on outtakes anyway... Now comes the "joyous" news that we have the complete unedited SM session with all the profanity intact. Wonderful! Elvis proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how uncouth and profane he could be. I guess to some people having this stuff "on the record" is important. Something to relish. Not me. Ernst saved me thirty bucks. I'll stick with the FEIM/BIM Legacy release. Great music, no profanity.


Well, burn-out is relative. There was a time when some fans would have sold their homes to hear some of the studio tapes later unleashed on the Follow That Dream label. I remember the days of one outtake surfacing every couple of years. It was no fun. At all.

Like it or not, outtakes often reveal the artistic process. What went on behind closed doors in 1969 was never imagined as study material for the fans 40+ years later. One suspects Elvis would not have been profane at all had he known. Futher, Elvis' verbal indiscretions in the studio are primarily available only on the private Follow That Dream label, not SONY or RCA.

Me? I have the masters, love them and know they are what drive me to dig even deeper, and acquire what FTD often provides. "Suspicious Minds" is one of the ten best tracks Elvis ever cut; no way am I passing up a chance to hear how that magic came to be.


How right you are. I recall Scotty Moore saying how unpleased he was that RCA was releasing outtakes (this was in th 90's). To him, these songs were rejects, renditions that Elvis or the band didnt want released or anyone to hear. Now when you add profanity, I can imagine how he would have felt. But as Scotty said, money talks. I'm burned out on them also, and no longer buy them. Not much of a recording process IMO since Elvis basically copied the demos note for note and the outtakes are not much different from the masters (except inferior) anyway.
Well said. :smt023

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Havent bought it only the 3000 south paradise one.
Since most of these outtakes are already off good quality on the american way set ::rocks

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 am

I have asked In page one about mastering engineer and doc was answered me Sebastian Jeansson but don't know why It was Vic Anesini stored In my head
great that Sebastian Jeansson did mastering
great that Jean Marc did mastering of from EP blvd
those FTDs have maybe best representation of that material on cd ever
I am very big fan of Jean Marc Juilland and Sebastian Jeansson also
their works sound natural fresh very close to original analogue

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am

Mike DK wrote:
promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.


Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.


I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.


absolutely correct
I have exactly same Impression about Anesini work
I have small debate on this topic on Steve Hoffman forum last week

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am

That is so unfair saying he generally copied the demos note by note when he made records. These outtakes prove that's not true. On some songs maybe but on a lot of songs there is a lot of movement between take 1 and the master. In The Ghetto and Kentucky Rain come to mind as going through a lot of progression.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 am

sasho wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.


Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.


I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.


absolutely correct
I have exactly same Impression about Anesini work
I have small debate on this topic on Steve Hoffman forum last week



Don't pay any attention, Vic. Your critics ears are just having a bad day. You're my mastering hero.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 am

Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not...

On page 9 of the Back In Memphis booklet, photo #5 (long red scarf) is mistakenly noted as "Elvis outside RCA Hollywood Studios, 6363 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, July 31, 1969." Of course that date was opening night for him in Las Vegas.

On page 6, I would've preferred them showing the 100 Top LP's chart for the week when From Memphis To Vegas peeked at #12.

The overall product is fantastic! Thanks, FTD team!
Last edited by Blue River on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 am

Blue River wrote:Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not...

On page 9 of the Back In Memphis booklet, photo #5 (long red scarf) is mistakenly noted as "Elvis outside RCA Hollywood Studios, 6363 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, July 31, 1969." Of course that date was opening night for him in Las Vegas.

On page 6, I would've preferred them showing the 100 Top LP's chart for the week when From Memphis To Vegas peeked at #12.

The overall product... fantastic! Thanks, FTD team!


A mistake in an FTD product. REALLY?

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:26 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not...

On page 9 of the Back In Memphis booklet, photo #5 (long red scarf) is mistakenly noted as "Elvis outside RCA Hollywood Studios, 6363 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, July 31, 1969." Of course that date was opening night for him in Las Vegas.

On page 6, I would've preferred them showing the 100 Top LP's chart for the week when From Memphis To Vegas peeked at #12.

The overall product... fantastic! Thanks, FTD team!


A mistake in an FTD product. REALLY?

I know it's unheard of, but yes... really.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am

JerryNodak wrote:
sasho wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.


Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.


I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.


absolutely correct
I have exactly same Impression about Anesini work
I have small debate on this topic on Steve Hoffman forum last week



Don't pay any attention, Vic. Your critics ears are just having a bad day. You're my mastering hero.



No,
please pay attention

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 pm

promiseland wrote:Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD.


I have probably heard 300+ Anesini remastered discs and I wouldn't describe one of them as warm or vinyl sounding. I do generally like his work.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 pm

ekenee wrote:
rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:I'm listening right now. (So, no track by track review here.)

rjm

Yes go to my original topic .


Yes, thanks. I was thinking about "Suspicious Minds," and how it so clearly and obviously should have been on this album, for every reason! It not only was the hit record, but it fits thematically as well, since this album's themes are far more personal than those of the first album (which had a great deal of social commentary, even on songs where it's not overt). I think they decided to leave it off. And think it's because they had this idea that it should pair with the live album as a live/studio double. It did a disservice to both! This was an excellent album in its own right, and needed that one song. But they only "had" enough material for a single LP live album, because I guess the concerts were a little too freewheeling for them to just release the best of them - they could have easily made a great double live album, but it would have had to include more of just the sort of things they "couldn't" release, particularly his words, in all their glory (well, not ALL - some). Also, "Suspicious Minds" was done live on the live part of the set. So I guess they didn't want to "duplicate" it. I don't see the reasoning in that at all; they are very different, and especially if they were on two different albums . . .

This album would be much more widely known through the years if they had just put that one song on it, and released it separately.

rjm
P.S. -- Just read the liner notes, and they address this, but make no judgement.


I do agree with you.
I think the mentality back then was different than it is now.
This album was probably considered leftovers from the "From Elvis in Memphis" sessions,
just as "Love letters" was to "Thats the way it is".

But I think that "stanger in my own hometown" should have been on the same album as "In the ghetto".

I don't like the division of songs and how they choose to program the albums.
Each suffers in its own way.

The live album could have been a double album. They turn around and put a couple of songs from 1969 on
an album titled "on stage-1970??
They had so much good material, I don't think they knew what to do with it, live or studio.
They held back so much good stuff back then its mind boggling.


Hey, why not release an Lp in '72, with a track that was recorded in '69 and call it, "Elvis NOW" !!!

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

I like Vic's work on the Sam Cooke masters. Before Vic, the Sam Cooke recordings on CD sounded terrible...compressed, hiss, bad frequency response...now, they sound incredible. I'm wondering if there is a different vision for the Elvis remasters because some of them don't have the great sound quality that the Sam Cooke masters do.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 pm

frus75 wrote:With the exception of Memphis 74 and part of elvis sings Memphis Tennessee FTD never remixes masters. The goal is to present the historical mix in the best sound.


Yes, I undestand this point. But the original mix is available on: Essential 60's Masters, Suspicious Minds (1999), From Elvis In Memphis (expanded edition-2000), From Elvis In Memphis (Legacy Edition), Back In memphis (24bit - japanese), and I have all them. Well, the original mixes has been available from long long time, so, why not new mixes today ? I can't hear any diferences between the new masterging available on Back In Memphis FTD and the other previous releases, including the Complete Masters - 30 CD Box Set. I listened with headphones those versions and do not hear differences, also checked in the spectrum analyzer, the graph shows the same range of treble and bass on all these versions but the results are only for the masters... That's my opinion...

Has someone identified something different?

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I like Vic's work on the Sam Cooke masters. Before Vic, the Sam Cooke recordings on CD sounded terrible...compressed, hiss, bad frequency response...now, they sound incredible. I'm wondering if there is a different vision for the Elvis remasters because some of them don't have the great sound quality that the Sam Cooke masters do.


The Sam Cooke RCA Albums box is mastered by Anesini and his work is great considering that the original stereo mixes fon't sound very good to begin with. The SACDs were done by Bob Ludwig and most of them were remixed.

One can't compare sound quality like that, imo. Different studios, different engineers etc. Elvis' 1960-1963 studio recordings in Nashville are almost impossible to ruin. They will sound good if good tapes are used.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm

dougkapp wrote:
frus75 wrote:With the exception of Memphis 74 and part of elvis sings Memphis Tennessee FTD never remixes masters. The goal is to present the historical mix in the best sound.


Yes, I undestand this point. But the original mix is available on: Essential 60's Masters, Suspicious Minds (1999), From Elvis In Memphis (expanded edition-2000), From Elvis In Memphis (Legacy Edition), Back In memphis (24bit - japanese), and I have all them. Well, the original mixes has been available from long long time, so, why not new mixes today ? I can't hear any diferences between the new masterging available on Back In Memphis FTD and the other previous releases, including the Complete Masters - 30 CD Box Set. I listened with headphones those versions and do not hear differences, also checked in the spectrum analyzer, the graph shows the same range of treble and bass on all these versions but the results are only for the masters... That's my opinion...

Has someone identified something different?

There is more to remastering than adding or removing Bass and Treble. :roll:

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm

dougkapp wrote:
frus75 wrote:With the exception of Memphis 74 and part of elvis sings Memphis Tennessee FTD never remixes masters. The goal is to present the historical mix in the best sound.


Yes, I undestand this point. But the original mix is available on: Essential 60's Masters, Suspicious Minds (1999), From Elvis In Memphis (expanded edition-2000), From Elvis In Memphis (Legacy Edition), Back In memphis (24bit - japanese), and I have all them. Well, the original mixes has been available from long long time, so, why not new mixes today ? I can't hear any diferences between the new masterging available on Back In Memphis FTD and the other previous releases, including the Complete Masters - 30 CD Box Set. I listened with headphones those versions and do not hear differences, also checked in the spectrum analyzer, the graph shows the same range of treble and bass on all these versions but the results are only for the masters... That's my opinion...

Has someone identified something different?

I think the tape hiss is more prominent and also lasts a little longer on the end of each track but I didn't compare them directly yet.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 pm

A definite 5 star release from FTD.It sounds just great and the outtakes are a joy to listen to.So many highlights-Suspicious Minds run throughs,You'll think Of Me outtakes,the Unfinished masters and the Stranger In My Own Home Town jam take just sounds fantastic here.Try not turning the volume up on that one,it's impossible.

Great review promiseland

norrie

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".
Last edited by promiseland on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

norrie wrote:A definite 5 star release from FTD.It sounds just great and the outtakes are a joy to listen to.So many highlights-Suspicious Minds run throughs,You'll think Of Me outtakes,the Unfinished masters and the Stranger In My Own Home Town jam take just sounds fantastic here.Try not turning the volume up on that one,it's impossible.

Great review promiseland

norrie

Thank you sir you are very kind.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 pm

sasho wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
promiseland wrote:
frus75 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
sasho wrote:are the first 10 tracks from first cd identical to ones from second cd from Legacy edition Classic albums or that Is other mastering

No The Legacy Edition Is Mastered by Vic Anesini , I have both, and Sebastian Jeansson's Mastering work on the "Back In Memphis FTD" is far superior of the two.


Far??? I know Sebastian is my number one sound man, along with jean Marc. Could you elaborate a little more? And what about from elvis Presley blvd? Is it better too?

Thanks

Vic Anesini just isn't my cut of tea when it comes to Remastering. If you're into Ipods and compact media players, it's all cool. But $22,000 audio playback equipment will make you just a little aware. If you can't hear difference in Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson's works I would strongly suggest an upgrade.

Vic Anesini's style is to reproduce a warm vinyl sound via CD. Sebastian Jeansson technique is to create the Studio sound as it was meant to be heard.


I would not call any Vic Anesini mastering "warm sounding" at all. In fact it's just the opposite. Vic Anesini's mastering is neutral/cold sounding and often too bright sounding for my ears.


absolutely correct
I have exactly same Impression about Anesini work
I have small debate on this topic on Steve Hoffman forum last week


Here is a review I found on EIN on Vic Anesini's Mastering Style:


THE MUSIC.

Although the main reason for purchasing these Complete Masters has to be the Re-Mastered music, "It’s Impossible" to properly review each of the thirty CDs without boring everyone of you.
(EIN will however be providing an even more detailed summary later!)

The thirty CDs are divided as such, the Fifties are 4 cds, the Sixties 14 cds, the Seventies 9 cds plus three Bonus collections of outtakes and rarities.

Looking at this mass of work one realises how clever Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon were in compiling those original three 50s, 60s & 70s box-sets plus the Movies and Gospel extra sets of years ago.

All these Master recordings have been re-mastered by audio engineer Vic Anesini who’s work has been highly praised on this website since he started work updating Elvis’ sessions.
If you have any of the recent RCA/SONY releases then you already know that his work is of the highest quality.

Anesini has the knack of creating a gorgeous lush sound to Elvis’ recording, providing a lovely deep bass-end to the sound and at the same time squeezing everything he can out of the high end. He works often has the "warmth" of true quality vinyl sound without the digital clipping and distortion one can often her on poor quality CD masters
.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_e ... sters.html

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.


Yes they do. Neither is bad it's all a matter of do you like Pepsi or Coke.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm

promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Claus wrote:I've compared the frequency response of Inherit The Wind (Legacy Edition vs. FTD) and it's virtually identical.

They should be "virtually identical" but they are not exact. Although I haven't compared to the "Complete Masters Box", they may have been lifted here for the "Legacy" Edition. However the "FTD Back In Memphis" is not sourced from "The Complete Masters Box".

No, it'a not, but the difference is not big. Both releases sound very good.


Yes they do. Neither is bad it's all a matter of do you like Pepsi or Coke.

The difference isn't even that big, imo :)

The FTD does have slightly improved imaging and resolution than the LE, but it's still a far cry from the hi-res titles I've listened to lately.