Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 am

Back In Memphis has just been listened all the way through on both discs, and the stereo flows from beginning to end with amazing sound.
The Original LP tracks sound as fresh as if they were recorded yesterday. Aside from the Legacy CD (From Elvis In Memphis CD 2) I have never heard them sound so good.

Now for the first time all the Outtakes of Suspicious Minds all in one place in STEREO with additional dialogue and chatter that has been missing from "Finding The Way Home" CD.

Finding The Way Home - CD Back Cover

To my total amazement there are NO edits - Ernst has, believe it or not left the complete "Suspicious Minds Session" intact which includes the "See, See Fu*k You Rider" and all the "God Dam*its", which make this historical content raw and complete to the collector perspective.
"Do You Know Who I Am?" (take 1) seems to have been lifted from the "There's Always Me - Volume 2" set as the drop outs and tape damage is still audible, and is a standout from the rest in quality but still great as it seems to have been worked a bit. Chances are Ernst doesn't have this session tape.

There's Always Me - Volume 2

The highlight of the Discs would be the Unfinished Masters - The sound is phenomenal, and so essential to a '69 session.

I don't usually review CD's unless it's one that really stands out, and this is one of those although this review is short nothing more needs to be said other than the excellent sound quality and completeness on these discs. Ernst Jorgensen has done a fantastic job on this one, he has done a collectors CD the way it should be done!

Disc Reviews:

Disc one starts out with 10 Tracks from The Original Album in optimal sound quality, the overdubs in the mix make these masters shine as they are very clean and fresh sounding for the first time, you would never guess these tapes were almost 44 years old.
A bonus Track 11 was added "Suspicious Minds" most likely because it should have been part of the original LP, and yes it rates above on quality also.

Then Disc one ends with First Takes tracks 12-20.

Track 12 - Inherit The Wind take 1, rehearsal, take 4/M with v.o. #1 4:15. Starts with False Start of 0:52 followed by a Rehearsal heard only on this CD with a Vocal Overdub of the Jan 16th track to give the feel of the songs evolvement.

Track 13 - A Little Bit Of Green (take 1) 3:43 Has been previous released on "The American Way Volume 2" and
"Finding The Way Home" but released here in Stereo for the first time.

Track 14 - And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind (takes 1-3, 5) 6:35 Has been released in Stereo on these CD's "The American Way Volume 3" "Unsurpassed Masters 4", "There's Always Me Volume 3". - But never in this quality.

Track 15 - Do You Know Who I Am? (take 1) 2:40 is a track Elvis does exceptionally well for a first take also released on "Memphis Sessions FTD" tape damage is audible and consistent with boot release "There's Always Me
Volume 2", may be a case of "who sourced who"

Track 16 - From A Jack To A King (takes 1-3) 3:13 Here we have Elvis working this song with a couple false starts and a complete take 3 followed by a rehearsal, which let to the master only 2 takes later. Stereo versions only found on FTD!

Track 17 -You'll Think Of Me (takes 1-6) 6:39. One of Elvis' best works here, and one of my personal favorites and for the first time in Stereo! Elvis struggles a lot here and nearly nails it with Take 6, although perfection is not heard until Take 23 later on disc 2. Takes 1-6 shows how Elvis first began to mold this song, a song that should have been an A-Side.

Track 18 - Without Love (There is Nothing) (take 1) 3:17 Known as an Alternate Master, Elvis nails this song in one take. Also released on "The Memphis '69 Anthology" in stereo but not in this quality.

Track 19 - Suspicious Minds (takes 1-5) 8:33. The Holy Grail of this CD! Along with Count-in and Additional Dialogue , 2 rehearsals and a long false start for the first time anywhere complete and in Stereo! The first rehearsal was faded on "Finding The Way Home" now complete. Ernst decided to leave all bad language intact, which is unusual, but essential to this release to be complete.

Track 20 - Suspicious Minds (take 6) Again history in the making! For the first time Additional Dialogue and 2 false starts unreleased. An edited version was on Memphis Sessions FTD but edited. Another essential piece to the puzzle.

This ends Disc One a jam packed full disc of FTD quality!
Disc two to come..

Thanks You Ernst and Team for the nice Christmas present this year! 8)
Last edited by promiseland on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 am, edited 13 times in total.

Re: Back In Memphis -- FTD 5 Star!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am

I've only got to Suspicious Minds on the first cd.......sounds fantastic so far

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 am

debtd1 wrote:I've only got to Suspicious Minds on the first cd.......sounds fantastic so far

The outtakes are exceptional now in stereo and more between take complete as opposed to "Finding The Way" CD.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am

thanks Promiseland.....
I've got the American Way set, Finding the Way, and American Crown Jewel......just love these sessions. Will be great to hear outtakes in better sound 8) 8) 8) 8)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:09 am

Listen to the ending of "You'll Think Of Me", Take 14 - on the final two seconds it switches from stereo to mono (at 4:29, you have to listen closely and carefully with headphones)... did they borrow the ending from the bootleg? :wink:

Reminds me somehow of the splicing job on "Mystery Train"... :mrgreen:

Oh and once again (as promiseland was asking for in his initial post): Mods, please move this topic to the "All Elvis" section where it belongs... thanks in advance!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:25 am

How have I missed this? What splice job on Mystery Train? I don't know about this. Please explain.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 am

Since these sessions had no take numbers and they basically just started playing and learning as they go on many numbers, I wonder how Ernst distiquished that
an early take is a "rehearsal" rather than say, Take one.
No take numbers were called and it's difficult to tell which take number is which on various releases.

For my own record of these sessions, I count each and every little false start as a take.

Not to mention the various voice overs.

But a nice release with nice sound.

I just finished listening to it.

It's a keeper.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 am

stevelecher wrote:How have I missed this? What splice job on Mystery Train? I don't know about this. Please explain.

"The equally great new Sony transfer of the unprocessed, dynamic Mystery Train makes its debut here on 'Elvis at SUN'. The original, full-ending-to-the last-note version derived from lost Sun Tape Box #1 (that was reported to us by Sven Adamski in 1999) has been recovered from the best available source (tape copy with compression and severe generation loss) and matched with precision during the fade-out, using all the tricks in the book and for once stretching all the 'Elvis at SUN' restoration rules. The result of this impossible task is stunning considering the circumstances."
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/r_elvisatsun.htm

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks Matthew. Was this version of Mystery Train used on "The Boy From Tupelo?" I never got the "At Sun" CD.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Many thanks for the tip about BIM. I was out today, and haven't hit the records yet, from X-mas. This will be 1st!!

(Yesterday, I read the Anita Wood memoir. Felt kind of sad. Can't explain it, except it was a diifficult time period, I guess. Very well done. Not a typical Elvis memoir.) Didn't mean to veer off, but I haven't hit the records yet! Thanks again.

See you guys tomorrow. Sounds like it's gonna be great!

rjm

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm

stevelecher wrote:Thanks Matthew. Was this version of Mystery Train used on "The Boy From Tupelo?" I never got the "At Sun" CD.

I would have to check but I'm pretty sure the basic unmastered restoration has been the source for all subsequent releases of Mystery Train.

Elvis At Sun is worth picking up - it has Kevan Budd's stellar remasters and is pretty cheap. A great alternative to pulling out the Tupelo set or for having a CD for casual play. I will never part with mine, or the vinyl I have stashed away.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm

rjm wrote:Many thanks for the tip about BIM. I was out today, and haven't hit the records yet, from X-mas. This will be 1st!!

(Yesterday, I read the Anita Wood memoir. Felt kind of sad. Can't explain it, except it was a diifficult time period, I guess. Very well done. Not a typical Elvis memoir.) Didn't mean to veer off, but I haven't hit the records yet! Thanks again.

See you guys tomorrow. Sounds like it's gonna be great!

rjm

Sounds like you been busy lately rjm. :smt112

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Sorry, Promiseland, that this thread went off-topic... :wink:

Just finished listening to the "Back In Memphis"-FTD and I wonder if it was necessary to use so much unnatural echo on the Outtakes? (And please, nobody tell me it's the natural reverb they already used back then - FOR IT'S MOSTLY NOT THE CASE!)

Glad to hear the complete "Suspicious Minds" recording session (except for the fadings), still fascinating and interesting. Glad they kept the x-rated words in it ("would I still see... see... f*** you rider" - priceless!).
I spliced the whole session together, including the stereo and mono master as a bonus (Running time 29 minutes). If somebody wants to have it, I can upload it as a FLAC file and send the link. Please PM me.

Why is the undubbed master of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" faded this time? Oh, for "listening pleasure"... :?

I love the unedited master of "A Little Bit Of Green", especially the ending, when Elvis tells us his opinion to that tune... :smt005

A great release anyway, no doubt. Even though some outtakes had to be left out due the CD capacity. A good way to avoid "Dear Georgie..." during the "Do You Know Who I Am?" session. :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:17 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Sorry, Promiseland, that this thread went off-topic... :wink:

Just finished listening to the "Back In Memphis"-FTD and I wonder if it was necessary to use so much unnatural echo on the Outtakes? (And please, nobody tell me it's the natural reverb they already used back then - FOR IT'S MOSTLY NOT THE CASE!)

Glad to hear the complete "Suspicious Minds" recording session (except for the fadings), still fascinating and interesting. Glad they kept the x-rated words in it ("would I still see... see... f*** you rider" - priceless!).
I spliced the whole session together, including the stereo and mono master as a bonus (Running time 29 minutes). If somebody wants to have it, I can upload it as a FLAC file and send the link. Please PM me.

Why is the undubbed master of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" faded this time? Oh, for "listening pleasure"... :?

I love the unedited master of "A Little Bit Of Green", especially the ending, when Elvis tells us his opinion to that tune... :smt005

A great release anyway, no doubt. Even though some outtakes had to be left out due the CD capacity. A good way to avoid "Dear Georgie..." during the "Do You Know Who I Am?" session. :mrgreen:

I would guess for space as the cd is a full 80 min?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Why is the undubbed master of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" faded this time? Oh, for "listening pleasure"... :?

I also dislike when songs are faded.....I think in some cases it could be due to extreme bad language at the end of a take?
But also the "listening pleasure" thing is a hot candidate :?

I really cant hear much difference on "A little bit of green" in track 6 disc 2 compared to the track 14 also disc 2. (both MASTER)
Not enough to include them both......IMO

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Why is the undubbed master of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" faded this time? Oh, for "listening pleasure"... :?

What do you mean "faded this time"?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Matthew wrote:

Compared to the first release of this version, as found on the "Memphis Sessions" FTD.
Also on that disc there were some performances faded (can't remember right now which ones) and now on the "Back In Memphis" FTD they are not.

I just don't like it when outtakes get faded, I can do it by myself. Okay, most of you folks out there just like to enjoy listening to them and I fully understand WHY they fade some of the songs.
But talking about listening pleasure:
Disc Two, Track Three: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 8)
Disc Two, Track Four: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 14)
Disc Two Track Five: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 16)
:wink:

Hey, Promiseland, that's what I wrote in my post: "Even though some outtakes had to be left out due the CD capacity." :)
Even more astonishing, they also left the two "m*****f***er" in there!

Oh, I would rate this release 4/5. Overall a very good release, except for some minor "discrepancies" - I'd really L-O-V-E to hear Tony..'s comments to that one... :D

Is it just me or is the sound of Take 1 of "Without Love (There Is Nothing)" a little dull?

@KingElvis: you don't hear any difference in the two takes of "A Little Bit Of Green"? The first one has the original vocal track, the second one is the substituted vocal track as recorded on September 26. Imo Elvis' voice sounds much "softer" on the latter.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:@KingElvis: you don't hear any difference in the two takes of "A Little Bit Of Green"? The first one has the original vocal track, the second one is the substituted vocal track as recorded on September 26. Imo Elvis' voice sounds much "softer" on the latter.

I wrote "I really cant hear much difference"......not any as you write...theres a difference.
Anyway I would included one of the complete takes of "Do You Know Who I Am?" that is only available on bootleg
instead of track 6 or track 2......but hey that just IMO :)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 pm

KingElvis wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:@KingElvis: you don't hear any difference in the two takes of "A Little Bit Of Green"? The first one has the original vocal track, the second one is the substituted vocal track as recorded on September 26. Imo Elvis' voice sounds much "softer" on the latter.

I wrote "I really cant hear much difference"......not any as you write...theres a difference.
Anyway I would included one of the complete takes of "Do You Know Who I Am?" that is only available on bootleg
instead of track 6 or track 2......but hey that just IMO :)

Oh, okay. Sorry, I got that wrong in the first place. It's fine with me the way it is but I would like to have seen another extra disc (so the people could bitch about getting only extra 50 minutes of music or so... :mrgreen: ).

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 pm

who did mastering

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 pm

sasho wrote:who did mastering

Sebastian Jeansson!
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/elvis-back-in-memphis-ftd-october-2012.296998/

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm

From Elvis in Memphis should be top priority for the next ftd not moody blue or another boring 76/77 sb.. Dear Georgie is from only the strong survive outtakes not Do you know who I am.
Only the strong survive will be the hardest one cause it was recorded 30 takes before it was finished how. can they pick the best fs lfs since the session is so long?
it would take one cd to do it all. That won't happen. use the ones with the most funniest bits I guess inc Dear Georgie bit unedited. bim is the best one since Boy from tupelo cause fepb is boring.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:13 am

ritchie valens wrote:From Elvis in Memphis should be top priority for the next ftd not moody blue or another boring 76/77 sb.. Dear Georgie is from only the strong survive outtakes not Do you know who I am.
Only the strong survive will be the hardest one cause it was recorded 30 takes before it was finished how. can they pick the best fs lfs since the session is so long?
it would take one cd to do it all. That won't happen. use the ones with the most funniest bits I guess inc Dear Georgie bit unedited. bim is the best one since Boy from tupelo cause fepb is boring.

Hello all,

"Back In Memphis" is one the greatest FTD releases ever IMHO too.

For "ritchie valens": There are a couple of short "Dear Georgie" remarks made by Elvis during "Do You Know Who I Am" sessions (There's Always Me, Vol. 2).

Happy New Year!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Compared to the first release of this version, as found on the "Memphis Sessions" FTD.
Also on that disc there were some performances faded (can't remember right now which ones) and now on the "Back In Memphis" FTD they are not.

I just don't like it when outtakes get faded, I can do it by myself. Okay, most of you folks out there just like to enjoy listening to them and I fully understand WHY they fade some of the songs.
But talking about listening pleasure:
Disc Two, Track Three: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 8)
Disc Two, Track Four: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 14)
Disc Two Track Five: "You'll Think Of Me" (Take 16)
:wink:

Hey, Promiseland, that's what I wrote in my post: "Even though some outtakes had to be left out due the CD capacity." :)
Even more astonishing, they also left the two "m*****f***er" in there!

Oh, I would rate this release 4/5. Overall a very good release, except for some minor "discrepancies" - I'd really L-O-V-E to hear Tony..'s comments to that one... :D

Is it just me or is the sound of Take 1 of "Without Love (There Is Nothing)" a little dull?

@KingElvis: you don't hear any difference in the two takes of "A Little Bit Of Green"? The first one has the original vocal track, the second one is the substituted vocal track as recorded on September 26. Imo Elvis' voice sounds much "softer" on the latter.

luckyjackson1I was just agreeing with your point on this
Disc 1 is appox 79 min 25 sec a full 800MB
Disc 2 is appox 79 min 26 sec a full 800 MB
Both discs could be claimed as full as this doesn't include the disc heading data.

By allowing the fades, some Takes would have had to been omitted.
The language could have easily been edited to allow the fades to conserve disc space, but amazingly Ernst chose the other option to make the sessions more complete and full.

These tapes are going on 44 years old and a little dullness here in there is to be expected, over all this in my opinion is the best session compilation on 2 discs from FTD from 69 to 76 so far and this is the way FTD should continue in the future to give the fans all the raw unedited unpatched, undeliberately spliced material . Hope the Elvis In Memphis FTD will get the same treatment in the near future. This is one of FTD's best works and this CD shows the power that can be used against bootlegging material when historical content is intact.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 am

FTD could make more room for takes by putting the "Memphis Sessions" album back into print and not including those takes on the album "From Elvis in Memphis". Of course it's too late to do that for "Back in Memphis"