Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm

The first two tours in 1976 were, except for the last 1974 tour, probably the worst of Elvis's career so far. However they were noticable better than the next four tours. As an example, I don't think he was able to end America (the song) in the same manner during the summer tours. In general his voice is also more on key.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 am

Rob wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote:The problem with Soundboards and Audience recordings they can make even a good show sound sh1t! so listening to anything from 1976 or 1977 on a crappy recording just amplifies the misery.

I would rather hear a "crappy" recording than to never hear it at all.

None of my CDs have ever brought me "misery."

I did finish that sentence with "IMHO". As the saying goes, one mans meat is another mans poison.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Well guys two years later.. im again listening to this show in full, But i stick with what i wrote above :)..
if it wasn't for the sweets being to loud in the mix, this would be a better listen.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:24 pm

It is a terrible concert. It is part of the historical record, but how anyone can find any artistic merit from this release, let alone enjoyment, is a mystery.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 pm

midnightx wrote:It is a terrible concert. It is part of the historical record, but how anyone can find any artistic merit from this release, let alone enjoyment, is a mystery.

It's worth a listen every two years. Try it again in 2016.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:31 pm

It's the first time in two years that i listened to the full show, but i played selected tracks in those two year. There are a few songs that are quite good performed imho, but for most of the concerts its the sweets who ruin the listen for me.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Certainly not the best 1976 concert, but the worst neither, coz nothing could be worse then Hampton Roads '76 in August.

And then there was Houston...

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Certainly not the best 1976 concert, but the worst neither, coz nothing could be worse then Hampton Roads '76 in August.

True, Houston was even worse. At the time for me it was hampton roads

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 pm

midnightx wrote:It is a terrible concert. It is part of the historical record, but how anyone can find any artistic merit from this release, let alone enjoyment, is a mystery.

Truly horrendous.

For me it beggars belief that one can derive enjoyment from such terrible performances. It is so patently obvious that Elvis is in poor voice and awful condition even compared to just a few years earlier. How can anyone miss it?

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

The introductions were really good that afternoon in Houston, though.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

:smt003 :smt003

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Well guys two years later.. im again listening to this show in full, But i stick with what i wrote above :)..
if it wasn't for the sweets being to loud in the mix, this would be a better listen.
I agree and do similar.... :D :wink:

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 pm

londonflash wrote:

Truly horrendous.

For me it beggars belief that one can derive enjoyment from such terrible performances. It is so patently obvious that Elvis is in poor voice and awful condition even compared to just a few years earlier. How can anyone miss it?

Rose-Colored-Glasses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:

Truly horrendous.

Rose-Colored-Glasses.jpg

Indeed. Not our colour, eh Doc? :wink:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

That's the sad part.
The band delivers, Ronnie's kick ass drum solo probably woke up the whole place (besides Elvis)
The drive during Polk Salad is also tremendous but let's be thankful we don't have footage because Elvis was on stage "motionless".
(The short youtube clip from "Jailhouse Rock" is there as clear evidence.

The TCB band got my deepest respect listening to the recording, obviously trying to save the whole gig.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 am

It took me a minute to remember which show this was. No rose colored glasses here; Elvis isn't great, but he's better than he would be from June to September. This show isn't much different than the March 76 gigs. America is OK, Now Or Never has him giving that little extra note at the end, which he only did a couple times that year, HGTA, as almost always, is good and Funny How Time Slips Away gets better than average treatment, for the time.

The soundboard is marred by having too much Sweet Inspirations but if you listen to Elvis, he's OK (again, for the period.) I'm glad I have the show.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 am

stevelecher wrote:It took me a minute to remember which show this was. No rose colored glasses here; Elvis isn't great, but he's better than he would be from June to September. This show isn't much different than the March 76 gigs. America is OK, Now Or Never has him giving that little extra note at the end, which he only did a couple times that year, HGTA, as almost always, is good and Funny How Time Slips Away gets better than average treatment, for the time.

The soundboard is marred by having too much Sweet Inspirations but if you listen to Elvis, he's OK (again, for the period.) I'm glad I have the show.

Although people don't admit, it seems that some judgement over here is influenced by the horrendous sound mix.
The Omaha show is pretty OK for 1976 and the newspaper review was in favor of Elvis too.
I'm also quite sure people left the building happy. And that's one of the most important parameters of rating a show good or bad.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 am

Robert wrote:
stevelecher wrote:It took me a minute to remember which show this was. No rose colored glasses here; Elvis isn't great, but he's better than he would be from June to September. This show isn't much different than the March 76 gigs. America is OK, Now Or Never has him giving that little extra note at the end, which he only did a couple times that year, HGTA, as almost always, is good and Funny How Time Slips Away gets better than average treatment, for the time.

Although people don't admit, it seems that some judgement over here is influenced by the horrendous sound mix.
The Omaha show is pretty OK for 1976 and the newspaper review was in favor of Elvis too.
I'm also quite sure people left the building happy. And that's one of the most important parameters of rating a show good or bad.

This is almost certainly the case.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:06 am

The mix doesn't help. But neither does the performance.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:07 am

The mix doesn't help. But neither does the performance. I got slaughtered in an Amazon review of my book because I said I thought certain FTDs shouldn't have been released, but I stand by it, and America is a key example.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 am

It's one of only a couple of FTD's that I've only listened to once.That and New Haven 76.

norrie

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:The mix doesn't help. But neither does the performance.

Now that's a better avatar ! :sosorry:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 am

norrie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The mix doesn't help. But neither does the performance.

Now that's a better avatar ! :sosorry:

behave!

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 am

stevelecher wrote:
Robert wrote:

This is almost certainly the case.

Sometimes it seems a bit pathetic that some over here butcher events from a different age, captured on poor audio.
This is a quote from the show witnessed by someone who was there..
"Presley has one of the great voices around and he turned on the power, he was overwhelming."

And here are people screaming Elvis couldn't sing anymore and was out of business commercially.
(I'm sure this show was sold out)

Maybe I do agree FTD made a mistake to release this show.
This recording, and others too would have never been approved by Elvis for commercial release.
Just because it does not represent the concert and how it was perceived.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 am

I find it amusing that the fans of these late-era recordings all do the same thing when discussing these poor recordings: "It's not great but definitely not as a bad as..." "Not one of his better shows but nowhere near as bad as..." As if the recording can be redeemed just because it isn't "as bad" as another performance that is far worse? Ridiculous.