Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Just a little review track by track while listening to it.

See See Rider - An Okay version at best. Elvis really sounds like he had just woken up, He doesnt seem to be into it.

I Got A Woman-Amen - as the song progresses elvis seems to be getting more into it but what really spoils this version are the loud vocals by the sweets, To bad as elvis seems to be in a good mood for this version. About amen is not much to say, as amen is just like any other version after '73. Altough this time the song is not all to long, just timing around 5:27, Elvis says: Thank you very much, good evening ladies and gentleman its a pleasure being here we hope you enjoy the show tonight and that we'll do something right, elvis wants everyone to relax have a good time, and not to be so thight as JD.

Love Me - standart version for 76. less playing around with the audience, but here i think playing with the audience would only improve this version. It's a slow and not rushed version, after already half of the song elvis finally gets atleast gets more into it, which helps atleast the performance a little.

If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - nice slow version if it wouldnt be ruined by the sweets loud vocals. the parts where u can hear elvis sounds okay, i still prefer the Rapid City version.

You Gave Me A Mountain - a song that actually couldnt do any harm in any version i heard. again slower then usual, again the sweets are much to loud,altough less annoying then on the previous song, The ending of the song really gets ruined. everything went gone, Elvis wanted to redo the ending to make up for the first ending and does a reprise

Trying To Get To You - elvis jokes about if somebody wanted to go to the bathroom, and does another song that almost always was sung good. less sweets vocals thank god. Elvis is into it and does a good version!.

All Shook Up - Trowaway, Sweets to loud again, not worth mentioning actually

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel - Not rushed, elvis does it fine, is it a highlight? no but certainly not the worst version i heard (A year later in the same place), Elvis giggling through don't be cruel is quite fun to hear thou.

Heartbreak Hotel - Sung only a few times during 1976, cool version, sweets annoy me, but elvis keeps the song alive, how i wished the sweets where gone in this song.

America The Beautiful - A song i do like, but hardley play anymore, beautiful version, the sweets not all to loud here thank god, elvis does a cool high note ending!

Polk Salad Annie - The band kicks ass, elvis sings the song fine, the sweets getting to loud in the ending and ruin what could have been a good soundboard version.

Introductions - Im at the point where i skip it, I understand elvis wanted to give the spotlight to his band to, but to make that 10 minutes where he could have sang 3 to 4 numbers extra, im not interested.

Hurt - Only been introduced a month earlier. beautiful slow version if it wasnt again for the sweets to be to loud in the mix. great ending by elvis nonetheless, altough it fades out

Hound Dog - Trowaway, Incomplete, not a version i will play again.

Help Me - to slow for my taste, the 1974,1975 and 77 have a better beat to them then this version, the sweets arent to loud, but still not the best version.

How Great Thou Art - also a song never ruined, its quite a beautiful version, when it came to gospel elvis never failed.

Little Darlin' - a song i always liked, funny version this is.

It's Now Or Never - Certainly a highlight of the evening, Elvis does a great version with a great ending!, Elvis thanks the audience, everyone on stage telling the fans that they are great and that they hadn't rehearsed and that they just pick up when needed, elvis jokes about someone wearing lipstick

Funny How Time Slips Away - elvis wants to do it in a higher key, sayd he missed a note the day before and ruined his entire career, The arrangement is slower, and sounds more like the 1969,1970 arrangement, Altough elvis seems to have a little trouble with the high notes, he does a enjoyable job.

Can't Help Falling In Love - slower then usual, sings quite good, tells joe to stop and sit down, elvis does a enjoyable ending while the song fades out.

So is it as bad as people say, Most of the concert yes, there too much songs ruined by the sweets being to loud in the mix, I can understand why FTD chose this concert, as it has a appealing setlist but i dont understand that they pick a soundboard with the sweets to loud in the mix, Atleast they could have tried to mix them lower.

I give the show a 6/10, while some songs are certainly trowaways, elvis does a few good jobs overall, Certainly not the best 1976 concert, but the worst neither, coz nothing could be worse then Hampton Roads '76 in August.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

I was bashing performances on the Big Boss Man ftd, so I recently challenged a friend to show me any track that compares to How Great Thou Art on America on the Big Boss Man FTD, with the exception of You're my reason for living, the last track

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote: but i dont understand that they pick a soundboard with the sweets to loud in the mix, Atleast they could have tried to mix them lower.

I give the show a 6/10, while some songs are certainly trowaways, elvis does a few good jobs overall, Certainly not the best 1976 concert, but the worst neither, coz nothing could be worse then Hampton Roads '76 in August.


A mono soundboard can't be mixed.
The show itself is OK, I think we're pretty tough on this one because of the poor sound.
I know that is for me the main reason why I only played it once.
FTD should have picked a show from this tour in better sound.
The bonus tracks proved it's out there..

The show got a good newspaper review by the way...

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 pm

The song line up is pretty good. It is still quite varied and Elvis is vocally pretty good when compared to the summer of '76. Overall I like this release and I appreciate FTD making it available. The female singers are a bit annoying for me, but overall, I like the cd.

rlj

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Robert wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote: but i dont understand that they pick a soundboard with the sweets to loud in the mix, Atleast they could have tried to mix them lower.

I give the show a 6/10, while some songs are certainly trowaways, elvis does a few good jobs overall, Certainly not the best 1976 concert, but the worst neither, coz nothing could be worse then Hampton Roads '76 in August.


A mono soundboard can't be mixed.
The show itself is OK, I think we're pretty tough on this one because of the poor sound.
I know that is for me the main reason why I only played it once.
FTD should have picked a show from this tour in better sound.
The bonus tracks proved it's out there..

The show got a good newspaper review by the way...

That's the problem. They have better sounding shows but the shows are probably not as good or as interesting as this one. I'm glad the producers released this show despite the problems with the sound mix. If you can listen past those, I think you hear an engaged Presley doing some songs better than he did on the usual show. His singing Funny How Time Slips Away in a higher key than usual is what I'm talking about. It's good. Now Or Never is much better than usual. HGTA is always good. His humor is good in this show, talking about his "marriage" and such.

It's still a 1976 concert so it's nothing to get real excited about but I think it's a bit better than the usual 1976 show in an undesirable sound mix. I will take it over a better sounding, but less interesting 1976 concert.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 am

Robert wrote:
The show got a good newspaper review by the way...


Name a show which got a bad one.. :wink:

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:52 am

Ciscoking wrote:
Robert wrote:
The show got a good newspaper review by the way...


Name a show which got a bad one.. :wink:


You'll find some if you're looking for it, for e.g. a real bad one about the Detroit show on April 22, 1977.
A newspaper said after the concert in Detroit (April 22), "Even if Elvis was singing in my backyard I wouldn't bother looking out. Presley is old, fat and doesn't move. At his best he is a parody of himself, at his worst a bad imitation of Burl Ives".

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 am

Joern wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Robert wrote:
The show got a good newspaper review by the way...


Name a show which got a bad one.. :wink:


You'll find some if you're looking for it, for e.g. a real bad one about the Detroit show on April 22, 1977.
A newspaper said after the concert in Detroit (April 22), "Even if Elvis was singing in my backyard I wouldn't bother looking out. Presley is old, fat and doesn't move. At his best he is a parody of himself, at his worst a bad imitation of Burl Ives".


That Detroit newspaper got quite some heat for that article.
Fact is though that as time went by, bad press became more frequent and in some cases even disrespectful.
There are a few nasty articles out there, obviously intentionally putting EP down.
The most painful though are the ones from fan reporters, walking away disappointed.
(eg Houston '76)

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 am

Robert wrote:
Joern wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Robert wrote:
The show got a good newspaper review by the way...


Name a show which got a bad one.. :wink:


You'll find some if you're looking for it, for e.g. a real bad one about the Detroit show on April 22, 1977.
A newspaper said after the concert in Detroit (April 22), "Even if Elvis was singing in my backyard I wouldn't bother looking out. Presley is old, fat and doesn't move. At his best he is a parody of himself, at his worst a bad imitation of Burl Ives".


That Detroit newspaper got quite some heat for that article.
Fact is though that as time went by, bad press became more frequent and in some cases even disrespectful.
There are a few nasty articles out there, obviously intentionally putting EP down.
The most painful though are the ones from fan reporters, walking away disappointed.
(eg Houston '76)


As sad as that quote is from Detroit, in the real world it's actually quite truthful. There are many rose-coloured glasses in here that somehow try to make the last two years of concerts somewhat respectable, and yet there is no other artist in anything like Presley's league who put on shows as poor as he did night after night. Even the best of 1977 is still relatively shambolic when compared to other artists. And he was a parody of himself in these final years. He was still capable of a good recording when something inspired him on one of those nights when he had more concentration than a goldfish (eg. Danny Boy), but he was (in real terms and not fan terms) basically a spent old man at 42.

As for America. I bought it. And sold it on Amazon marketplace two days later before the bad reviews got out.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 am

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I still marvel at having all these titles at my disposal and wouldn't
think of hawking them, but that's just me. It's a flawed Elvis but in time and in context it
Has merits.

It also seemed a lot of "1976 fatigue" had set in among latter day collector/fans, after quite a few were released in short order, so the Grumbling on this title reflected this impulse.

For those of us who remember the drip-drip of slow vault-opening of the Joan Deary/ RCA days, it's all still a fantastic and careful Examination of the man's career, which at this point largely meant touring.

As much as FTD occasionally comes up empty, it's my favorite label hands down and I am
Glad Ernst &Company are not shy about documenting Elvis' more troubling but somehow interesting shows.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 pm

It's a CD that was never meant to be, enjoy it for what it is - an FTD collectors label for the hardcore fan ...nothing more.. nothing less..

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Well, I would'nt go that far. I still marvel at having all these titles at my disposal and wouldn't
think of hawking them, but that's just me. It's a flawed Elvis but in time and in context it
Has merits.

It also seemed a lot of "1976 fatigue" had set in among latter day collector/fans, after quite a few were released in short order, so the Grumbling on this title reflected this impulse.

For those of us who remember the drip-drip of slow vault-opening of the Joan Deary/ RCA days, it's all still a fantastic and careful Examination of the man's career, which at this point largely meant touring.

As much as FTD occasionally comes up empty, it's my favorite label hands down and I am
Glad Ernst &Company are not shy about documenting Elvis' more troubling but somehow interesting shows.


Nicely said, Gregory. Thanks.

rlj

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Robert wrote:
Joern wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Robert wrote:
The show got a good newspaper review by the way...


Name a show which got a bad one.. :wink:


You'll find some if you're looking for it, for e.g. a real bad one about the Detroit show on April 22, 1977.
A newspaper said after the concert in Detroit (April 22), "Even if Elvis was singing in my backyard I wouldn't bother looking out. Presley is old, fat and doesn't move. At his best he is a parody of himself, at his worst a bad imitation of Burl Ives".


That Detroit newspaper got quite some heat for that article.
Fact is though that as time went by, bad press became more frequent and in some cases even disrespectful.
There are a few nasty articles out there, obviously intentionally putting EP down.
The most painful though are the ones from fan reporters, walking away disappointed.
(eg Houston '76)


As sad as that quote is from Detroit, in the real world it's actually quite truthful. There are many rose-coloured glasses in here that somehow try to make the last two years of concerts somewhat respectable, and yet there is no other artist in anything like Presley's league who put on shows as poor as he did night after night. Even the best of 1977 is still relatively shambolic when compared to other artists. And he was a parody of himself in these final years. He was still capable of a good recording when something inspired him on one of those nights when he had more concentration than a goldfish (eg. Danny Boy), but he was (in real terms and not fan terms) basically a spent old man at 42.

As for America. I bought it. And sold it on Amazon marketplace two days later before the bad reviews got out.


I have sold most of my FTDs especially the live shows after 1970. They just dont do it for me anymore, and I dont deem them collectibale compared to the records and memorabilia that came out during his lifetime. Those are the items that hold true value to me. These post 1977 items are basically dust collectors if you dont play them.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 am

The show was certainly 'ok', but the sound mix favouring the Sweets basically ruins the listening pleasure!~ :?

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 am

As little of a soundboard fan I am, I like to add: Soundboard recordings were made for a purpose, whatever it was. It was not made for listening pleasures. They were not meant to be anything than what you hear. I've stated before: The audiences on all those soundboards we are so "lucky" have, heard i completely different. Maybe that's why, for the most part, they went away happy aften an Elvis concert. I guess those of you who have actually attended an Elvis live show can confirm the point I'm trying to get across? :)

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 am

I saw him live and no soundboard can come close to imitating the sound in the arena on those two nights.

That said, I get great enjoyment out of a good soundboard recording. The fact that they were not meant to be heard enhances my enjoyment. This is one fan that will not tire of them anytime soon.

But that's just the way this dude rolls.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 am

Rob wrote:I saw him live and no soundboard can come close to imitating the sound in the arena on those two nights.

That said, I get great enjoyment out of a good soundboard recording. The fact that they were not meant to be heard enhances my enjoyment. This is one fan that will not tire of them anytime soon.

But that's just the way this dude rolls.


I'm with you on that one dude.I've enjoyed many soundboard recordings whether it's rare songs,important concerts,great shows,big events or whatever the soundboards give us an idea of what it was like to hear Elvis at any particular time,as do audience recordings Of course it doesn't come close to actually being there but until time travel becomes reality then it will have to do.

norrie

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 am

Its not that bad(i just listened to it) its a perfect release really for FTD

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 pm

It's weird because usually the audience April 26 tape in Seattle sounds good. Elvis was, however, not in great voice in April 1976. The soundboards prove it.

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm

The problem with Soundboards and Audience recordings they can make even a good show sound sh1t! so listening to anything from 1976 or 1977 on a crappy recording just amplifies the misery IMHO. I have been to two of the 'Elvis In Concert' shows and even though the Images of Elvis are on a screen, the band playing live give you the feeling that you are at a live show, soundboards and Audience recordings listened to at home don't even come close to a live experience.

I can kind of relate to fans at shows in 1976 being caught up in the atmosphere of a live show and seeing Elvis but getting enjoyment from these recordings is tough going when you know you have to skip through at least 70% of the show to a couple of songs that pass muster! FTD are not cheap to buy, especially when you'll only listen to maybe two tracks once every 4-5 years :roll:

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:The problem with Soundboards and Audience recordings they can make even a good show sound sh1t! so listening to anything from 1976 or 1977 on a crappy recording just amplifies the misery IMHO. I have been to two of the 'Elvis In Concert' shows and even though the Images of Elvis are on a screen, the band playing live give you the feeling that you are at a live show, soundboards and Audience recordings listened to at home don't even come close to a live experience.

I can kind of relate to fans at shows in 1976 being caught up in the atmosphere of a live show and seeing Elvis but getting enjoyment from these recordings is tough going when you know you have to skip through at least 70% of the show to a couple of songs that pass muster! FTD are not cheap to buy, especially when you'll only listen to maybe two tracks once every 4-5 years :roll:


i agree thats why since i started elvis collecint 7 to 8 years ago, i only have 5 FTD's sure i would have loved to have had them all but i simply dont have the money for them all im very selective thats why i only have

He Touched Me
From EP Boulevard
3000 South Paradise
From Hawaii To Las Vegas
Fool

eventually i will try to get most of the ftd's in my collection but at this point thats simply a too much to pay job

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:i agree thats why since i started elvis collecint 7 to 8 years ago, i only have 5 FTD's sure i would have loved to have had them all but i simply dont have the money for them all im very selective thats why i only have

He Touched Me
From EP Boulevard
3000 South Paradise
From Hawaii To Las Vegas
Fool

eventually i will try to get most of the ftd's in my collection but at this point thats simply a too much to pay job


I can relate to what you are saying, although I am in a fortunate position to be able to buy these albums, for the reasons above I choose not too! On the whole FTD do a good job, but due to Elvis' "varied" career, there is a lot to pick through if you know what I mean ha ha.

To be honest I'm more of a selective collector than a purist who will collect anything and everything to be able to say they have it. I marvel at those who have everything and sometimes in awe, but for me I only collect what I will read, listen & watch over and over again, I don't see the point in buying something that will sit on a shelf gathering dust. I have bought Albums in the past like "Elvis In Concert" and get some enjoyment, but on the whole steer clear of the live stuff post 1973 except for the occasional one or two recommended gems :oops:

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:The problem with Soundboards and Audience recordings they can make even a good show sound sh1t! so listening to anything from 1976 or 1977 on a crappy recording just amplifies the misery.

I would rather hear a "crappy" recording than to never hear it at all.

None of my CDs have ever brought me "misery."

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:i agree thats why since i started elvis collecint 7 to 8 years ago, i only have 5 FTD's sure i would have loved to have had them all but i simply dont have the money for them all im very selective thats why i only have

He Touched Me
From EP Boulevard
3000 South Paradise
From Hawaii To Las Vegas
Fool

eventually i will try to get most of the ftd's in my collection but at this point thats simply a too much to pay job


I can relate to what you are saying, although I am in a fortunate position to be able to buy these albums, for the reasons above I choose not too! On the whole FTD do a good job, but due to Elvis' "varied" career, there is a lot to pick through if you know what I mean ha ha.

To be honest I'm more of a selective collector than a purist who will collect anything and everything to be able to say they have it. I marvel at those who have everything and sometimes in awe, but for me I only collect what I will read, listen & watch over and over again, I don't see the point in buying something that will sit on a shelf gathering dust. I have bought Albums in the past like "Elvis In Concert" and get some enjoyment, but on the whole steer clear of the live stuff post 1973 except for the occasional one or two recommended gems :oops:


i do agree somehow here,
i would love to have everything of elvis to but, why spend money on something that u will never use watch or listen to?, then u might aswell trow it in the gutter and wait for sh*t to spray out lmao :smt003

Re: America FTD --> Is it really that bad??

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice review, thank you for taking the time.

The short answer though is, yes, it really is that bad.

Geoff