Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Bridge Over Troubled Water Awesome from September 1 1974

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks all! Will go track that cd down! Merry christmas.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:13 am

I like the reprise. I like how he sings those high notes even tho they were a little over the top. It kinda reminds me of when he sang How Great Thou Art and did three reprises and says, "I'm glad your finally showing some appreciation for something."

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am

It's not awesome, but more a manic performance, one which might have been fun to see in concert, but not a patch on his 1970 recordings. The arrangement has changed from 1970 as well, the tempo is faster (AKA rushed) and the orchestra more prominent, neither of which improves the experience.

These folks make some very cogent additional observations:

debtd1 wrote:great version, slightly 'grandiose'....lol

nothing could beat the '70' version though......vocal control was phenomenal

Rob wrote:He did the reprise because he got lost the first time around and screwed up the ending.

I've heard better versions.

r&b wrote:I think the real question is, why was he still singing this song 4 years after TTWII? Why didnt he move on? Elvis shows never changed much and were predictable and thats bad for any performer.

Justin wrote:Nice to hear him hit that one note during the reprise--can't say I've ever heard him go that high for this song. Pretty cool. But the entire performance is slightly exhausting to listen to. He dips and bends every which way and it's rather distracting. Peter's post nails it as far as him trying to connect with the song. It's pretty clear how bored Elvis had become with these tunes that he was so desperate to infuse some kind of life into them--as manufactured as it turned out to be.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not awesome, but more a manic performance, one which might have been fun to see in concert, but not a patch on his 1970 recordings. The arrangement has changed from 1970 as well, the tempo is faster (AKA rushed) and the orchestra more prominent, neither of which improves the experience.

Rob wrote:He did the reprise because he got lost the first time around and screwed up the ending.

r&b wrote:I think the real question is, why was he still singing this song 4 years after TTWII? Why didnt he move on? Elvis shows never changed much and were predictable and thats bad for any performer.

Justin wrote:Nice to hear him hit that one note during the reprise--can't say I've ever heard him go that high for this song. Pretty cool. But the entire performance is slightly exhausting to listen to. He dips and bends every which way and it's rather distracting. Peter's post nails it as far as him trying to connect with the song. It's pretty clear how bored Elvis had become with these tunes that he was so desperate to infuse some kind of life into them--as manufactured as it turned out to be.

Yeah but doc, this is not 1970.. we know u and others like the 1970 recordings. but this is simply not 1970. stop comparing songs from elvis later years to 1970 because it simply makes no sence... ooh he did that better in 1970, the man did a better job in that on 1970. Well elvis was elvis in all those other years to..

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Well, it does not really compare to 1970 versions or even with the Greensboro version that appeared in EOT, but the reprise was damn good.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Renan wrote:Well, it does not really compare to 1970 versions or even with the Greensboro version that appeared in EOT, but the reprise was damn good.

and thats what i tryd to share :D, I agree this is not 1970. but 1974 was 4 years later to. u cant expect him to do it the same way 4 years earlier either
thanks renan :), i was so suprised by this vesion thats why i decided to upload it to youtube and share

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Great version Johnny 2523 - Lov It - Ty for posting -Lov the reprise too - Yah - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It seems to me to be an example of Elvis trying everything in the book to put on a good show when he really was not in the mood to. It's almost as if he thought that over-the-top vocals such as this would cover up his erratic behaviour on stage, the lack of professionalism he showed during this period, his often foul moods, his boredom and lack of connection with both the audience and his material. While on the night the audience may have been amazed by his vocal acrobatics and power, a discerning listener today is more likely to wonder where the carefully structured performance of 1970 is. The song lacks all of the beauty of the earlier rendition, and the song is competely robbed of sophistication and subtlety.

In short, if there was a contest for singing loudly and with power, then Elvis would have won it. But he would not have won any prizes for subtlety, the reading of lyrics or connection with the material. Loud singing does not equal good singing.

spot on Peter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:22 pm

debtd1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It seems to me to be an example of Elvis trying everything in the book to put on a good show when he really was not in the mood to. It's almost as if he thought that over-the-top vocals such as this would cover up his erratic behaviour on stage, the lack of professionalism he showed during this period, his often foul moods, his boredom and lack of connection with both the audience and his material. While on the night the audience may have been amazed by his vocal acrobatics and power, a discerning listener today is more likely to wonder where the carefully structured performance of 1970 is. The song lacks all of the beauty of the earlier rendition, and the song is competely robbed of sophistication and subtlety.

In short, if there was a contest for singing loudly and with power, then Elvis would have won it. But he would not have won any prizes for subtlety, the reading of lyrics or connection with the material. Loud singing does not equal good singing.

spot on Peter

I agree totally. Well put.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Renan wrote:Well, it does not really compare to 1970 versions or even with the Greensboro version that appeared in EOT, but the reprise was damn good.

and thats what i tryd to share :D, I agree this is not 1970. but 1974 was 4 years later to. u cant expect him to do it the same way 4 years earlier either
thanks renan :), i was so suprised by this vesion thats why i decided to upload it to youtube and share

I'm sorry, but I think your comment is ridiculous. This was a man of 39 years of age. We are not saying that a man of 75 cannot be expected to sing something in the same way as he did when he was 40, but that someone of 39 cannot be expected to sing a song in the same way as he did when he was 35. What a bizarre thing to suggest.

If Elvis was so detached/bored by the material that he had to reinvent the melody line and/or use the song as nothing more than an excuse to show off vocal power, then he should have just dropped the song and sung something else. By using the song as an excuse to belt and do little else, it actually makes the meaning of the song disappear. The performance has no structure - it simply starts off loud and then gets louder and spirals out of control because there is nowhere else for the song to go. Presley still had the vocal capacity that he had five years ago, he simply chose to take the easy way out and go on stage and do his "I can sing loudly" party trick, instead of actually making any meaning of the song's lyrics.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not awesome, but more a manic performance, one which might have been fun to see in concert, but not a patch on his 1970 recordings. The arrangement has changed from 1970 as well, the tempo is faster (AKA rushed) and the orchestra more prominent, neither of which improves the experience.

Yeah but doc, this is not 1970.. we know u and others like the 1970 recordings. but this is simply not 1970. stop comparing songs from elvis later years to 1970 because it simply makes no sence... ooh he did that better in 1970, the man did a better job in that on 1970. Well elvis was elvis in all those other years to..

Unless you ask us "What do you think of this 1974 recording?" there is no reason not to discuss the performance in the context of his career.

In the case of my post, you read my thoughts on both the rendition and its place in the canon. Just because it does not come off as "awesome" isn't any reason to dismiss my reply.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Unless you ask us "What do you think of this 1974 recording?" there is no reason not to discuss the performance in the context of his career.

In the case of my post, you read my thoughts on both the rendition and its place in the canon. Just because it does not come off as "awesome" isn't any reason to dismiss my reply.

This post was meant as what people thought of this 1974 performance doc. And i didnt meant to dismiss ur comment. But alot of elvis performances after 73 get dismissed simpely by the way hè either looked or that hè didnt sing it like hè did à few years ago. And hearing Elvis change the notes is quite à refreshment. I love the 1970 performances to, but it seems alot of fans disagree if hè didnt sing something like 1970 or 1969. By this time Elvis already changed but still pulls of à powerful performance.. Sorry if it sounder like i was dismissing ur comment but that wasnt the meaning. :smt006

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:This post was meant as what people thought of this 1974 performance doc. And i didnt meant to dismiss ur comment. But alot of elvis performances after 73 get dismissed simpely by the way hè either looked or that hè didnt sing it like hè did à few years ago. And hearing Elvis change the notes is quite à refreshment. I love the 1970 performances to, but it seems alot of fans disagree if hè didnt sing something like 1970 or 1969. By this time Elvis already changed but still pulls of à powerful performance.. Sorry if it sounder like i was dismissing ur comment but that wasnt the meaning. :smt006

Thanks. We will have to agree to disagree.

I will say that fans turn to 1969 and 1970 because Elvis was really on his game, and unfortunately the bar he set for himself then he could not -- or would not -- maintain as the years passed.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:This post was meant as what people thought of this 1974 performance doc. And i didnt meant to dismiss ur comment. But alot of elvis performances after 73 get dismissed simpely by the way hè either looked or that hè didnt sing it like hè did à few years ago. And hearing Elvis change the notes is quite à refreshment. I love the 1970 performances to, but it seems alot of fans disagree if hè didnt sing something like 1970 or 1969. By this time Elvis already changed but still pulls of à powerful performance.. Sorry if it sounder like i was dismissing ur comment but that wasnt the meaning. :smt006

I will say that fans turn to 1969 and 1970 because Elvis was really on his game, and unfortunately the bar he set for himself then he could not -- or would not -- maintain as the years passed.

I agree with that but i dont think Elvis was expecting that everything in his life would change after 71

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks. We will have to agree to disagree.

I agree with that but i dont think Elvis was expecting that everything in his life would change after 71

Nor were his fans.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I appreciate his divorce was in the public eye, and as a sex symbol it was a huge blow to his ego for everyone to know his wife left him for another Man.....but you have to get over it, he had more opportunities than any average person to meet another 'love'.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 am

Johnny2523 wrote:

I thought it was so good that I even shared on facebook. The response was great and people that are not even Elvis fans loved the song, specially the reprise. And I'm talking about people that probably never listened to any audience recording like we (Elvis collectors) usually do. Most wished they had an opportunity to have this version with a better sound.

BTW, is this your channel on youtube?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:31 am

It’s always pleasant hearing Elvis exercising his vocal chords, and giving us unusual runs but he sounds a bit like a faulty wound-up toy here. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” is one on these Elvis songs that often ‘hits the spot’ for me. When he sings it correctly and with passion it blows my mind, this though falls well short with the whole actual meaning of the song being lost in some overblown Vegas arrangement. Nothing can beat both his commitment and delivery in 1970.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 am

Renan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

I thought it was so good that I even shared on facebook. The response was great and people that are not even Elvis fans loved the song, specially the reprise. And I'm talking about people that probably never listened to any audience recording like we (Elvis collectors) usually do. Most wished they had an opportunity to have this version with a better sound.

BTW, is this your channel on youtube?

Yes it is ;) my old one elvisdinnershow got deleted

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Xaykev wrote:Wow, the reprise was simply stunning...! What a fantastic singer our man was 8)

''Amen Xaykev ''
He sure was a fantastic singer and guy -
''Long Live The Legend And His Name - Never Forgotten'' - TCE4Ever -
You said it man - 8)
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.