Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A Mysterious "Mystery Train" --> Like A Turtle Pokin' Out!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 am

Well, you learn a little something new each day.

A recent discussion about "Mystery Train" has engendered some lively discussion:

Mystery Train
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73987

Doing a little research today for that topic, I was very surprised to discover that the otherworldly Sun 223 single called "Mystery Train" was covered just weeks after Presley's disc hit the charts, and released on the RCA label almost exactly 57 years ago, in December 1955!

Billboard Dec 17 1955 p56.JPG
Billboard - December 17, 1955
Copy reads: "The Turtles do a pop version of the tune which cut a swath in the country field when recorded by Elvis Presley on Sun. The Winterhalter ork has provided an interesting figure and beat in the backing."

Not only that, it was the single scheduled just before RCA's reissue of Presley's "Mystery Train" and the band, called the Turtles, even got a nice push by RCA:

Billboard Dec 17 1955 p53.JPG
Billboard - December 17, 1955
Copy reads: "First Singing Dogs ... now The Turtles sing ..."

551217_RCA 6356_Turtles.JPG
Turtles, "Mystery Train" (RCA 6356, December 17, 1955)
B-side was "Say You Care"

Yes, you may listen to this cover --> HERE

No, it did not chart.

And, no, this is not the better-known sixties band with the same name.

This is like a "Bizarro World" version of the song. Who were these guys? What happened to them??

551217_RCA 6356_PROMO_Turtles.JPG

I guess we'll never know ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: A Mysterious "Mystery Train" --> Like A Turtle Pokin' Ou

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 am

We're not talkin' Flo & Eddie here, folks.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 am

Reminds me of Levon Helm from the last waltz rendition!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 am

Female singer Toni Arden recorded the flipside of Sun 223 "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" for RCA in 1955 and I believe it was likely released around the same time as the Turtles "Mystery Train."

20/47-6346 "Are You Satisfied?" / "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"

Daryl

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Who were these guys?

I guess we'll never know ...

Strange not even an ounce of information can be found on the net for these guys 'The Turtles" from '55?

RCA must not have had much faith in Elvis' version, for them to release "The Turtles" version just one cat# before Elvis'.

Interesting Post Doc.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 pm

These are the Singing Dogs referred to in the RCA ad:

551112_RCA 6344_B side_Singing Dogs.JPG

phpBB [video]

Don Charles Presents The Singing Dogs, "Pat-A-Cake" - "Three Blind Mice" - "Jingle Bells" (RCA Victor 6344, November 19, 1955)
A medley of tunes "barked" by The Singing Dogs (Dolly, Pearl, Caesar and King).
A-side was Stephen Foster's "Oh! Susanna"

551112_RCA 6344_Singing Dogs.JPG

Evidently, RCA saw the Turtles as a chance to add another novelty hit to their stable.

Woof!

Read more -->
The Singing Dogs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Dogs
How 'Jingle Bells' by the Singing Dogs Changed Music Forever ...
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2010/12/how-jingle-bells-by-the-singing-dogs-changed-music-forever/68273/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm

elvisjock wrote:We're not talkin' Flo & Eddie here, folks.

You are correct, sir!

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:05 am

Kylan wrote:Reminds me of Levon Helm from the last waltz rendition!

It actually does recall the Band's cover of "Mystery Train," first released on their lovely 1973 LP Moondog Matinee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moondog_Matinee

Could Robbie Robertson have owned a copy of the RCA single released by the Turtles?

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:22 am

Ahem, a quick listen to that tells why Elvis is the King. Good God, Lennon was right before him there was nothing. If this is after him not so much either. Merry Christmas.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for posting, Doc. Interesting!! Not heard that version by the Turtles before, not the greatest version but still interesting to hear.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks for posting, Doc. Interesting!! Not heard that version by the Turtles before, not the greatest version but still interesting to hear.

It's just another crazy tangent, which I found while researching for the "Mystery Train" topic by MayDayMalone.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am

I didn't hear that one, when first posted. It's stunning. Not in a good way. ;)

Thanks.

rjm

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am

Fantastic,

Thanks Doc 8)

Did not know this. Nice tune :D

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting that DJC, brightened up my morning somewhat.
I'm intrigued, and it's just as well you mentioned that it wasn't 'The Turtles' from the 60s, 'cos that exactly who I was thinking of until I scrolled back up while listening to the tune.

It's a bit of fun, in a kooky sort of way. When the instrumental parts kick in, it really feels like the train is rolling down the line.. if a bit haphazard and out of control :shock:

I also wonder what happened to them..

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 pm

KevinK wrote:Thanks for posting that DJC, brightened up my morning somewhat.
I'm intrigued, and it's just as well you mentioned that it wasn't 'The Turtles' from the 60s, 'cos that exactly who I was thinking of until I scrolled back up while listening to the tune.

It's a bit of fun, in a kooky sort of way. When the instrumental parts kick in, it really feels like the train is rolling down the line.. if a bit haphazard and out of control :shock:

I also wonder what happened to them..

You're welcome!

The solo reminds me of the classic lead played by Danny Cedrone on Bill Haley and His Comets huge hit that year, "Rock Around The Clock."

Where did the Turtles of 1955 go? Perhaps they returned to simply being members of Hugo Winterhalter's Orchestra ...