Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: December FTD's anyone?

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:16 pm

GuitarKing wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:here blueberry hill for those who cant wait ::rocks

phpBB [video]

Thanks!! That was really good. He did a good job on it.

Glad I skipped it.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:24 pm

stevelecher wrote:The thing is his voice is not that good on most of these outtakes. Hearing him struggle on The Grass Won't Pay No Mind and Little Bit Of Green, amongst others is tough. The masters are good but he had to come back and redo his vocals. To me this isn't like those early 60's outtakes when his voice is almost always just as good as the master and maybe at times better. His voice is small on some of these tracks.

What's wrong with his voice? What struggle?
For me this is one of the key releases from FTD this year (and there were quite a few). Our hero was just amazing in these sessions. How he builds up "Without Love" across the takes is one example. "Suspicious Minds" is another.
What more do you need to be close to Elvis Presley, almost 44 (forty-four) years after date, in one of his best-ever recording sessions? Who would ever hoped that? This is not to be missed.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:00 am

I am listening to the FTD Back In Memphis for the first time today. I LOVE IT! And my enjoyment comes from Elvis' vocal performances, which are not masked by the overdubs! I especially like the undubbed masters.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about when it comes to this Memphis band however. They merely provide an almost Karaoke-like basic backing and Elvis makes a scratch vocal that in most cases is replaced with his performance master vocal later. All the pizazz comes later with the horns and backing vocal overdubs. I would think that any band could have provided such a basic backing, nothing more than a rhythm, organ and or piano fill and occasional interesting Sitar. The final results were great, but heck Felton could have overdubbed horns and backing vocals over a teenaged garage band and gotten very similar results.

Unlike the 1970 Nashville sessions that soon followed, which provided a fully realized performance as-is, only to be "sweetened" with the over dubs.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:39 am

The American band was excellent, the arrangements in the studio very purposeful in design for later overdubbing. It's astonishing anyone would think a garage band would do better.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:09 am

I understand that they were just laying down basic tracks and overdubbing was their intention from the start. I am sure they are an excellent band, but what they did could have been done by anyone who is competent. Compared to the muscianship displayed by the Nashville A team in 1960-1963 where their arrangement were complete and were not just basic tracks intended for a backdrop for later overdubs, their contribution is hardly noteworthy.

As I said, even the 1970 Nashville marathon basic tracks were well arranged and could have served as a final product without the overdubs that were used for release.

Just about any musician could have laid down those backing tracks at American, and other than a fresh perpective, I do not see what the hoopla was all about.

Now having said that, because of the songs, Elvis' performance and the resulting final product, these Memphis sessions are one of my favorites.

My point is, that just about any house band could have laid down those basic tracks. It would have been child's play for Hank Garland, Bob Moore, Buddy Harmon, and Floyd Cramer to do so, and I am sure they would have wondered why they would have been hired to do such rudimentary stuff.

The recordings owe a lot more to Chips' arrangements and overdubbing and Felton's additional overdubbing than to the basic band.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:43 am

skatterbrane wrote:I understand that they were just laying down basic tracks and overdubbing was their intention from the start. I am sure they are an excellent band, but what they did could have been done by anyone who is competent. Compared to the muscianship displayed by the Nashville A team in 1960-1963 where their arrangement were complete and were not just basic tracks intended for a backdrop for later overdubs, their contribution is hardly noteworthy.

As I said, even the 1970 Nashville marathon basic tracks were well arranged and could have served as a final product without the overdubs that were used for release.

Just about any musician could have laid down those backing tracks at American, and other than a fresh perpective, I do not see what the hoopla was all about.

Now having said that, because of the songs, Elvis' performance and the resulting final product, these Memphis sessions are one of my favorites.

My point is, that just about any house band could have laid down those basic tracks. It would have been child's play for Hank Garland, Bob Moore, Buddy Harmon, and Floyd Cramer to do so, and I am sure they would have wondered why they would have been hired to do such rudimentary stuff.

The recordings owe a lot more to Chips' arrangements and overdubbing and Felton's additional overdubbing than to the basic band.

WOW!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 am

skatterbrane wrote:My point is, that just about any house band could have laid down those basic tracks. It would have been child's play for Hank Garland, Bob Moore, Buddy Harmon, and Floyd Cramer to do so, and I am sure they would have wondered why they would have been hired to do such rudimentary stuff.

I think you have some valid points there, skatterbrane, but also maybe there was extra effort on Elvis' part to show those Memphis Boys what he could do.
In other words, it benefited Elvis having the "new guys" in the studio because it posed a new challenge for him being out of his "normal" comfort zone.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:12 pm

I got both Back in Memphis and 3000 south paradise Road as christmas presents :)

Back in Memphis is awesome, with great sound and many great outtakes. I do prefer the overdubbed studio masters, as it was done tastefully and in most cases added strenght to the songs. Can't wait for From Elvis in Memphis, and I also have a feeling that we might see a third "Memphis sessions" release with the tracks not featured on FEIM.

3000 South paradise Road is unfortunately dissapointing. I was expecting a much better sound on the 72 show, as someone a while ago said the sound compared to the old bootleg would be like "night and day". It's not, and I can only hear a slight improvement. The sound is very narrow and lacks depths and definition and also has issues with distortion. Not a disc I will ever play again.
The second disc is much more interessting. While the sound is not great, it is acceptable for this kind of material. It is interessting to hear Elvis rehearsing and he seems very focused. Not a disc I will play often, but will get a spin once in awhile.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Mike DK wrote:I got both Back in Memphis and 3000 south paradise Road as christmas presents :)

Back in Memphis is awesome, with great sound and many great outtakes. I do prefer the overdubbed studio masters, as it was done tastefully and in most cases added strenght to the songs. Can't wait for From Elvis in Memphis, and I also have a feeling that we might see a third "Memphis sessions" release with the tracks not featured on FEIM.

FTD is releasing a From Elvis in Memphis?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:36 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
Mike DK wrote:I got both Back in Memphis and 3000 south paradise Road as christmas presents :)

Mike DK is safe to assume on that one even though it hasn't been announced, yet.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Marc Haegeman wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The thing is his voice is not that good on most of these outtakes. Hearing him struggle on The Grass Won't Pay No Mind and Little Bit Of Green, amongst others is tough. The masters are good but he had to come back and redo his vocals. To me this isn't like those early 60's outtakes when his voice is almost always just as good as the master and maybe at times better. His voice is small on some of these tracks.

What's wrong with his voice? What struggle?
For me this is one of the key releases from FTD this year (and there were quite a few). Our hero was just amazing in these sessions. How he builds up "Without Love" across the takes is one example. "Suspicious Minds" is another.
What more do you need to be close to Elvis Presley, almost 44 (forty-four) years after date, in one of his best-ever recording sessions? Who would ever hoped that? This is not to be missed.

I nearly gagged when I read this yesterday.......he was amazing in 69. Total commitment to his work

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Blue River wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:

Mike DK is safe to assume on that one even though it hasn't been announced, yet.

yeahhhhh.......bring it on

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:27 pm

About the band performance in the Memphis sessions, the concept was to back Elvis up instrumentaly not improvising on long bridges within the song sung by Elvis. Except maybe for Stanger In My Own Home Town, the band can't hardly develop some instrumental skills on their own: it is not Elvis accompanying the band, it's the other way around. Of course, it would have been fun to hear the band loosing up on creative arrangements and improvisations: showing up their skills as musicians. Even live, Elvis didn't allow the band to really kick asses there and take over the show for a while on their own or within songs. And we know how almost "mechanical" the live shows became over the years. Still those American Sound recordings are unique. it broke the Nashville routine and pushed the later 1970's studio session to be more up-dated. The man tried once to change the line up in Vegas in 1974 and the public was disapointed and he submitted to go back to the usual formula. Even RCA never minded to record professionnaly the August 19th 1974 show, always so cheap to support financially their biggest asset. That said, I don't want to spoil my pleasure while listening to Back in Memphis wich has yet to hit my mailbox these coming days. Cheers everybody.

Just one last thing that comes to my mind. We can hear a little bit of the band musical craft in the long version of High Heel Sneakers (Nashville 1967).

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm

The band on Hi Heel Sneakers is not the same band! There is no doubt about the musical ability of the 60s Nashville band, in any of their lineup variations. And I know the Memphis band is very talented, and I love the Memphis records, but all I am saying almost any band could have laid down those basic tracks.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 pm

skatterbrane wrote:The band on Hi Heel Sneakers is not the same band! There is no doubt about the musical ability of the 60s Nashville band, in any of their lineup variations. And I know the Memphis band is very talented, and I love the Memphis records, but all I am saying almost any band could have laid down those basic tracks.

I don't doubt that. Most of the musicians that backed Elvis up, were very good, Hollywood included and I agree that as far as laying down basic tracks, any "good" musician could have done it, without being a virtuose. I don't see any controversy here. Thanks for the comment by the way, it helps put things in perspective. Where's that mailman today? I hope to get Back In Memphis tomorrow ;-(

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Hey, I like the Memphis sessions, but no one else can hear how clearly difficult it is for him singing on some of these outtakes? Primarily The Grass Won't Pay No Mind, A Little Bit of Green, You'll Think Of Me and a little on Do You Know Who I Am. I'm sure it is the result of his cold/laryngitis but he's struggling and it's always been acknowledged that he had to come back to recut some vocals when his voice was better.

He's real good on Without Love and Suspicious Minds but still it's not exactly his "Elvis Is Back" voice. A lot of you like what he did here when he had to shout a little and his voice wasn't as silky smooth. Great but none of those outtakes of "Grass" or "Little Bit of Green" could have been remotely considered for release as the master.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 pm

For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties. Still a great voice, but the smoothness he had on such songs as Soldier Boy or They Remind Me Too Much Of You has been gone a while by then. But that's only natural with time and he smoked much more often - we see on many candids - than he did in the early sixties. That doesn't help keeping a silky voice. The more if he had a sore throat at the time of recording. Elvis was human after all.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 am

Tornado wrote:For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties. Still a great voice, but the smoothness he had on such songs as Soldier Boy or They Remind Me Too Much Of You has been gone a while by then. But that's only natural with time and he smoked much more often - we see on many candids - than he did in the early sixties. That doesn't help keeping a silky voice. The more if he had a sore throat at the time of recording. Elvis was human after all.

of course it wasn't.....he'd changed from a 'Boy' to a 'Man' in those intervening years.....lol

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 am

Tornado wrote:For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties.

Huh? Maybe "luster" is the word you're looking for... not "lackluster".

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:11 am

Just got an email that ShopElvis is finally shipping mine. Hope those who have been waiting get a similar email.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:44 am

skatterbrane wrote: but all I am saying almost any band could have laid down those basic tracks.

And they would have sounded quite different. Suspicious Minds would not sound the same with a different band. In The Ghetto would have a totally different feel. The Memphis band was excellent, with their own sound. Their sound is not something that could simply be duplicated by another collective of musicians.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:59 am

DJL, I got my email too. 'bout time, isn't it?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:03 am

skatterbrane wrote:I understand that they were just laying down basic tracks and overdubbing was their intention from the start. I am sure they are an excellent band, but what they did could have been done by anyone who is competent. Compared to the muscianship displayed by the Nashville A team in 1960-1963 where their arrangement were complete and were not just basic tracks intended for a backdrop for later overdubs, their contribution is hardly noteworthy.

It wouldn't have been child's play for Hank Garland. He had a car wreck 9 years earlier and was no longer a session musician. The other Nashville cats like Floyd Cramer were of the countrypolitan ilk -- an urbane, refined sound.

The American Sound session musicians in Memphis were a little grittier and funkier than the refined Nashville session musician scene. This gives the American Sound backing tracks a different flavor--more soulful and earthier than would have been achieved in Nashville with the usual cast of RCA hired gun suspects.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:14 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote: but all I am saying almost any band could have laid down those basic tracks.

And they would have sounded quite different. Suspicious Minds would not sound the same with a different band. In The Ghetto would have a totally different feel. The Memphis band was excellent, with their own sound. Their sound is not something that could simply be duplicated by another collective of musicians.

I see what you are saying but with recording there are so many elements.
You have the studio itself.
You have a certain producer.
And then you have the band.
All these variables can change the sound on any particular session.

I am glad that Elvis used different musicians thru-out the years, because it gave his catalog a variety of sounds.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:17 am

Tornado wrote:For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties. Still a great voice, but the smoothness he had on such songs as Soldier Boy or They Remind Me Too Much Of You has been gone a while by then. But that's only natural with time and he smoked much more often - we see on many candids - than he did in the early sixties. That doesn't help keeping a silky voice. The more if he had a sore throat at the time of recording. Elvis was human after all.

Actually Tornado, it's quite unusual for a man at age 34 to lose so much of the "luster" his voice had at 27 years old. We've had threads on this topic of his voice many times through the years here. Part of it is he was changing his style a bit to a more R&R style but still the difference in voice for ballad singing, between ages 28 and 34 or 35, is startling.