Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: December FTD's anyone?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:19 am

If the musicians don't matter and the studio doesn't matter and the producer doesn't matter, then how come Elvis recorded the lousiest, crappiest sounding stuff ever (the "Easy Come Easy Go soundtrack) with his usual set of musicians? The songs sucked, but the producer and the studio made them even worse.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:56 am

DJL, I got my email too. 'bout time, isn't it?

Man RonBaker2003 you are right. You try to be patient as hard as it can be. Still I suppose this is better than when they expect to ship the GI Blues FTD album. LOL. Enjoy listening to them!

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 am

KingElvis wrote:
GuitarKing wrote:I ordered mine a few weeks ago and got an email yesterday that BIM, 3000, and GIBLUES has shipped.

How can that be...GI Blues vinyl is delayed until end of january next year.
Or did you order one of the cds perhaps?

That might explain the delay of my ShopElvis order. Given the lowest prices for any stateside Elvis fan, I can bear the wait of a few weeks
for recordings that are literally as old as I am and in large part heard on the excellent AMERICAN WAY boot.

I've barely cracked BOULEVARD as it is , even though I've had it for a good part of this busy month.

The notes and layout of BACK IN MEMPHIS do look great, as much as I prefer to not see them in advance.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:50 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:DJL, I got my email too. 'bout time, isn't it?

I got my email also, this morning. On the way, Promised Land, Good Times, 6000 Paradise, and Back In Memphis. They are shipping UPS. I would expect about a week. For those living in the USA, mine is coming to California, any idea of how long it will take?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Blue River wrote:
Tornado wrote:For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties.

Huh? Maybe "luster" is the word you're looking for... not "lackluster".

My mistake, I stand corrrected.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Tornado wrote:For me, in 1969, Elvis had lost the lackluster he was gifted with in the early sixties. Still a great voice, but the smoothness he had on such songs as Soldier Boy or They Remind Me Too Much Of You has been gone a while by then. But that's only natural with time and he smoked much more often - we see on many candids - than he did in the early sixties. That doesn't help keeping a silky voice. The more if he had a sore throat at the time of recording. Elvis was human after all.

Actually Tornado, it's quite unusual for a man at age 34 to lose so much of the "luster" his voice had at 27 years old. We've had threads on this topic of his voice many times through the years here. Part of it is he was changing his style a bit to a more R&R style but still the difference in voice for ballad singing, between ages 28 and 34 or 35, is startling.

It's always puzzling to realize that there was such a deterioration of his vocal organ.How many times can you play Vegas and Tours like he did wihtout being wounded vocally? He shifted to more and more "operatic" style too over the years, pushing his voice too often over his natural range. Even in the studio, you can't do Tomorrow Never Comes - wich I always dig - too many time without damaging your voice and no wonder why he never did it live. Past 1975, he almost quited Rock n' Roll for ballads. A beaufiful song like Suzan When She Tried was taken too high to me. Too many songs demanded he uses often the upper range of his voice. Heart of Rome, Padre are examples of that. but maybe it was Elvis way of doing them too.
Last edited by Tornado on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 am

Don't know if somebody already realized, but... in my opinion Take 1 of "The Fair Is Moving On" has the exactly the same Elvis vocal as on the master - so I assume there were no "vocal repairs" made on February 22, 1969.

Just sayin'... :wink:

I also see no difference in Take 1 (Vocal Overdub, or Rehearsal) and the master vocal on "Inherit The Wind".

Can anybody confirm this?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 am

Got mine too, and they are great. BIM is stellar, and 3000 is very good too, love the fly on the wall experience of the rehearsal. Don Lance had 3 tapes, 2 down, one to go, which one is left??? From what year???