Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Blue Christmas June 18th 1977

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am

Alexander wrote:One can even wonder: was he aware it was June 18th and not December 18th? Pictures, footage and audio from 76-77 makes me sad, really sad.

Elvis was acutely aware of the impending CBS-TV videotape cameras, and spoke to Ed Parker about them as he drove to the Omaha show the next day. He may have even been informed the house lights would be up, in order to better capture the show.

His quiet panic may have been the reason behind his demeanor and appearance in both Kansas City and Omaha. There was nowhere to run to, baby, nowhere to hide.

And to think Presley didn't even have a day off after Omaha. On 6-20-1977 he was in Lincoln, doing another evening performance. Management's insensitivity to their talent knew no boundaries in the middle of 1977. With hindsight, it is even more galling. Parker was riding this horse until it dropped.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 am

The only aspect i enjoy about this June 18th 77' show is Elvis appears in good voice, but the self -depreaciating 'joke' about not bothering to turn up for rehearsal, the tight suit, the bloated look and his performance is often embarresingly poor.
I need to be pretty 'drunk' to laugh at his obvious 'couldn't care less' goof ups and although the self depreciating Humour features again during the show 3 days later is is a sad experience.As far as him singing Blue Christmas in June i like the performance and in June is 'ok'

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was bloated in Kansas City much as he was in Hollywood, FL, earlier in the year. He just didn't appear as sweaty and disheveled in Kansas City.

Dr. John, please clarify your statement about the corset from the fall tour. What were the pitfalls? While he may have been wearing his "brace," as he called it, he also had dropped quite a bit of weight. It showed in his face, in a very bad way. He started to look like a meth addict.

The photos certainly look far worse on February 12, but that doesn't make June 18 seem any better. This June tour may've been the one where bodyguards Dick Grob and Sam Thompson made contingency plans if Elvis died while on tour. That's how bad it was.

The main reason Elvis dropped the use of the corset in October 1976 was it constricted his breathing, and he felt he couldn't sing comfortably.

Any pictures of shows he was wearing the corset in?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:59 am

Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was bloated in Kansas City much as he was in Hollywood, FL, earlier in the year. He just didn't appear as sweaty and disheveled in Kansas City.

Dr. John, please clarify your statement about the corset from the fall tour. What were the pitfalls? While he may have been wearing his "brace," as he called it, he also had dropped quite a bit of weight. It showed in his face, in a very bad way. He started to look like a meth addict.

The photos certainly look far worse on February 12, but that doesn't make June 18 seem any better. This June tour may've been the one where bodyguards Dick Grob and Sam Thompson made contingency plans if Elvis died while on tour. That's how bad it was.

The main reason Elvis dropped the use of the corset in October 1976 was it constricted his breathing, and he felt he couldn't sing comfortably.

Elvis was wearing one in Dayton, Ohio on October 26, 1976:

761026_Dayton_Flame suit_01.JPG

761026_Dayton_Flame suit_02.JPG

761026_Dayton_Flame suit_03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 am

I did have suspicions that he was wearing a corset on 18-6-77 (he certainly seems trimmer than the next night and the suit is ultra tight) but I can't see evidence on those October '76 photos, especially the top photo where we can see a lot of his stomach.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:37 am

rickeap wrote:I did have suspicions that he was wearing a corset on 18-6-77 (he certainly seems trimmer than the next night and the suit is ultra tight) but I can't see evidence on those October '76 photos, especially the top photo where we can see a lot of his stomach.

He looks healthier and his face is thinner. If only he was like that in June 77.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:11 am

jungleroombear wrote:
rickeap wrote:I did have suspicions that he was wearing a corset on 18-6-77 (he certainly seems trimmer than the next night and the suit is ultra tight) but I can't see evidence on those October '76 photos, especially the top photo where we can see a lot of his stomach.

He looks healthier and his face is thinner. If only he was like that in June 77.

The Dayton '76 photos clearly show a trimmer waist, and his jumpsuit actually bunched a bit on the back right, to make up the gap. Elvis had lost some weight as well -- perhaps a reaction to the disastrous summer 1976 tours and a recent phone conversation with Red West -- but the changes in his life needed to go well beyond cosmetic.

Elvis does not seem at all slim or trim in the images we have from Kansas City in '77.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

[img]761026_Dayton_Flame%20suit_01.JPG[/img]

He actually looks pretty good here at certain angles. :o

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

Doc, the same bunching of the suit happens in this photo too - I'm not sure that signifiies anything other than weight / fluid loss - the zip is well down on the suit here, and I'm not sure he's wearing a corset. He has lost a lot of weight on this tour, but equally, he doesn't look well, facially.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 am

It's sad to see him like this. I'm SO glad that I got to see him in 1972 at the Garden.

Seeing him in this state would have been a heartbreaker.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:One can even wonder: was he aware it was June 18th and not December 18th? Pictures, footage and audio from 76-77 makes me sad, really sad.

Elvis was acutely aware of the impending CBS-TV videotape cameras, and spoke to Ed Parker about them as he drove to the Omaha show the next day. He may have even been informed the house lights would be up, in order to better capture the show.

His quiet panic may have been the reason behind his demeanor and appearance in both Kansas City and Omaha. There was nowhere to run to, baby, nowhere to hide.

And to think Presley didn't even have a day off after Omaha. On 6-20-1977 he was in Lincoln, doing another evening performance. Management's insensitivity to their talent knew no boundaries in the middle of 1977. With hindsight, it is even more galling. Parker was riding this horse until it dropped.

Beautifully spoken and sad but true, although Parker may have seen this differently: "The boy is out of control" he is quoted saying about Elvis in 1977.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I highly doubt that Elvis was using a corset in these pictures. This was the same time when he surprised Ed Parker, and proudly stepped outside of his hotel room to greet him to show how many kilos he had lost.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Yes i too find the corset thing hard to see/belive..... remember ex bodyguards who said Elvis used to wrap himself in a roll of clingfilm b4 going onstage in 76'!~~
yes in Kansas City 77' he was in poor shape.... BUT vocally delivered an 'above average concert for that tour.' :roll: :lol:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nicely said and I totally agree.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Xaykev wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I highly doubt that Elvis was using a corset in these pictures. This was the same time when he surprised Ed Parker, and proudly stepped outside of his hotel room to greet him to show how many kilos he had lost.

I feel like I know nothing about Elvis now :oops: . Which book tells us the story about surprising Ed Parker outside his hotel?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:44 pm

dreambear wrote:The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

The information about the contingency plans if Elvis died while on the road can be found near the end of "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia".

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Alexander wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis was acutely aware of the impending CBS-TV videotape cameras, and spoke to Ed Parker about them as he drove to the Omaha show the next day. He may have even been informed the house lights would be up, in order to better capture the show.

Beautifully spoken and sad but true, although Parker may have seen this differently: "The boy is out of control" he is quoted saying about Elvis in 1977.

Thank you!

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:51 pm

dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The photos certainly look far worse on February 12, but that doesn't make June 18 seem any better. This June tour may've been the one where bodyguards Dick Grob and Sam Thompson made contingency plans if Elvis died while on tour. That's how bad it was.

The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

Thank you!

As already noted, the 1977 bodyguard plan is mentioned in Alanna Nash's Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia (New York: HarperCollins, May 1995).

However, IIRC, this first appeared in Thompson II, Cole and Hale's The Death of Elvis: What Really Happened (New York: Delacorte Press, December 1990).

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:29 am

dreambear wrote:I feel like I know nothing about Elvis now :oops: . Which book tells us the story about surprising Ed Parker outside his hotel?

Ed Parker's book. In the book it is written that Elvis on purpose avoid seeing Ed Parker, so Parker thought maybe Elvis was mad at him. It turned out that Elvis only wanted to surprise him since he was proud, happy and slimmer :)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 am

Xaykev wrote:
dreambear wrote:I feel like I know nothing about Elvis now :oops: . Which book tells us the story about surprising Ed Parker outside his hotel?

Ed Parker's book. In the book it is written that Elvis on purpose avoid seeing Ed Parker, so Parker thought maybe Elvis was mad at him. It turned out that Elvis only wanted to surprise him since he was proud, happy and slimmer :)

Which Ed Parker book?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

Which Ed Parker book?

From "Inside Elvis"

"During one of the tours in 1976, I remember Elvis being extremely nervous. I met him in Chicago on the first day of that tour. When I got to his room, the door was closed and I was told to wait. This was odd. I had never experienced ths before. Elvis was always glad to see me, especially at the start of each tour. Had I offended him unknowingly? Had someone said something to alienate him?

The answer soon became apparent.He had lost a phenomenal amount of weight in a short period of time and wanted to surprise me."

Parker goes on to recall how strong a performance Elvis gave that night. But, in the car after the show, "Elvis suddenly asked for his towel, which normally is placed on the back of the front seat. It wasn't there. He then asked for his light blue fur collared coat, placed it to his mouth and threw up, again and again. He threw up so violently that it shot out to both sides and hit Joe and I."

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

Which Ed Parker book?

Did Ed Parker write more than one book?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 pm

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

Which Ed Parker book?

Did Ed Parker write more than one book?

No, and his book is hard to find..
Parker died way too early, a legend in his own field.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I think the previous tour was the worst of his career with Baltimore show (may 29 1977) an absolute low point. Songs like Blue Christmas, Big Boss Man (from this Kansas June 18 show), Bridge Over Troubled Water, Release me (from Indy june 26), Blue Suede Shoes or Heartbreak Hotel from the others could be included in the TV special. If they filmed the whole 10 shows I think they could had a strong setlist from Elvis' songs. Maybe so the CBS special could be a decent appearance for Elvis and not a bothering one.