Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Blue Christmas June 18th 1977

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:I think the previous tour was the worst of his career with Baltimore show (may 29 1977) an absolute low point. Songs like Blue Christmas, Big Boss Man (from this Kansas June 18 show), Bridge Over Troubled Water, Release me (from Indy june 26), Blue Suede Shoes or Heartbreak Hotel from the others could be included in the TV special. If they filmed the whole 10 shows I think they could had a strong setlist from Elvis' songs. Maybe so the CBS special could be a decent appearance for Elvis and not a bothering one.

One can argue if the May tour was worse.
Yes, Baltimore and Philly were questionable shows, but in Baltimore the reason is the unusual break, the show itself is average for the period.
In Philly Elvis looks worn out, and his movements show something is very wrong, but the show is again, average for the period.

In June however we have poor and slowpaced concerts in Kansas, Omaha & Madison.
It's a close call...

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
dreambear wrote:The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

The information about the contingency plans if Elvis died while on the road can be found near the end of "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia".

Gosh! I own that trilogy. Shame on me ! Thank you!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The photos certainly look far worse on February 12, but that doesn't make June 18 seem any better. This June tour may've been the one where bodyguards Dick Grob and Sam Thompson made contingency plans if Elvis died while on tour. That's how bad it was.

The main reason Elvis dropped the use of the corset in October 1976 was it constricted his breathing, and he felt he couldn't sing comfortably.

The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

Thank you!

As already noted, the 1977 bodyguard plan is mentioned in Alanna Nash's Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia (New York: HarperCollins, May 1995).

However, IIRC, this first appeared in Thompson II, Cole and Hale's The Death of Elvis: What Really Happened (New York: Delacorte Press, December 1990).

Thank you very much! I really have to re-read those books again.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:36 am

dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The photos certainly look far worse on February 12, but that doesn't make June 18 seem any better. This June tour may've been the one where bodyguards Dick Grob and Sam Thompson made contingency plans if Elvis died while on tour. That's how bad it was.

The main reason Elvis dropped the use of the corset in October 1976 was it constricted his breathing, and he felt he couldn't sing comfortably.

The contingency plans is new for me, Doc. Do you know more about this? I also like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and at the same time being rather entertaining at times.

Thank you!

As already noted, the 1977 bodyguard plan is mentioned in Alanna Nash's Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia (New York: HarperCollins, May 1995).

However, IIRC, this first appeared in Thompson II, Cole and Hale's The Death of Elvis: What Really Happened (New York: Delacorte Press, December 1990).

Thank you very much! I really have to re-read those books again.

You are most welcome!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 am

jurasic1968 wrote:I think the previous tour was the worst of his career with Baltimore show (may 29 1977) an absolute low point. Songs like Blue Christmas, Big Boss Man (from this Kansas June 18 show), Bridge Over Troubled Water, Release me (from Indy june 26), Blue Suede Shoes or Heartbreak Hotel from the others could be included in the TV special. If they filmed the whole 10 shows I think they could had a strong setlist from Elvis' songs. Maybe so the CBS special could be a decent appearance for Elvis and not a bothering one.

Not unless he took a time machine back to 1972, appearance-wise.

People would have noticed how poorly he looked, regardless of the set list.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 pm

ColinB wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:... And it's hard to image what he was thinking that night in Kansas City, with just 24 hours to go before the CBS cameras would be there to capture every little detail...

Considering his medicated condition, I'm not sure he was even aware that he was about to be filmed..............

Agreed, Colin.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:... And it's hard to image what he was thinking that night in Kansas City, with just 24 hours to go before the CBS cameras would be there to capture every little detail...

Considering his medicated condition, I'm not sure he was even aware that he was about to be filmed..............

Agreed, Colin.

As already noted, Elvis was acutely aware of the impending CBS-TV cameras.