Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Blue Christmas June 18th 1977

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am

A nice later version of "Blue Christmas" for the time of the year that it is.
Live in Kansas City June 18th 1977.
I have altered the URl to start at the song.

phpBB [video]

Re: Blue Christmas June 18th 1977

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 am

Apart from the breakdown ("we had a rehearsal last week... and I didn't show up") and Elvis' terrible appearance it's not bad. But I can hardly watch stuff like this anymore. The Kansas City show proves that it wasn't just nerves that nearly wrecked the Omaha show the following night. At the start of that last tour, Elvis was possibly in the worst shape he had ever been... And it's hard to image what he was thinking that night in Kansas City, with just 24 hours to go before the CBS cameras would be there to capture every little detail...

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Apart from the breakdown ("we had a rehearsal last week... and I didn't show up") and Elvis' terrible appearance it's not bad.

Boy oh boy, 1977... :-(

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Sad :(

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks for sharing the clip.

Sorry to say, not Elvis' finest hour. :cry:

rlj

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am

Ty for sharing this clip - Its sad yes - ''Sad Times For The King ''
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 am

Still shocks me sometimes to see the state Elvis was in.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 am

Glad CBS did not film the Kansas show. Aren't we the lucky ones.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Apart from the breakdown ("we had a rehearsal last week... and I didn't show up")

what you mean "breakdown"? I think he's joking

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am

Elvisgirl wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Apart from the breakdown ("we had a rehearsal last week... and I didn't show up")

The breakdown refers to the song being messed up and everyone stopping.

Yes, he's joking through the unprofessionalism, but he did blow off a rehearsal. That was the reality of Elvis in 1977. He couldn't be bothered.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 am

I think it means the song breakdown.
It's good to see hi mmixing up the start with guitar songs and Big Boss Man but Elvis is in poor shape that night.
His line about the rehearsal is just as sad as the one about the suit being too narrow

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 am

rickeap wrote:His line about the rehearsal is just as sad as the one about the suit being too narrow

sad?
Last edited by Elvisgirl on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:24 am

Elvis looks very bad here. :cry:

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:48 am

I have the total show on audio and although he finishes strong.. the concert feels like a slow motion event for the most part.
He took unusual and annoying breaks, incoherent talking and losing all energy right after the opening.
We can now say the June tour was one of his worst ever.

18000 fans must have noticed something was very wrong here.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 am

This was one of the nights that Elvis felt compelled to tell the audience that he was healthy and happy, "in spite of what you might hear or what you might read."

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 am

Elvisgirl wrote:
rickeap wrote:His line about the rehearsal is just as sad as the one about the suit being too narrow

sad?

He seems self conscious about his weight and aware enough to know that he is not operating on all cylinders.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

The breakdown refers to the song being messed up and everyone stopping.

Yes, he's joking through the unprofessionalism, but he did blow off a rehearsal. That was the reality of Elvis in 1977. He couldn't be bothered.

I don't know if you are guessing or know for sure about he rehearsal.

I always assumed the line about the rehearsal was just a funny excuse.

And rehearsals seemed to be a thing of the past as he just walked thru the shows towards the end.

Was there really a rehearsal that he just blew off?

I never for one moment believed there was a rehearsal.

And did he really have to rehearse a song that he had been doing since 1957?
Anyone?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 am

rickeap wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

sad?

He seems self conscious about his weight and aware enough to know that he is not operating on all cylinders.

he's joking!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The breakdown refers to the song being messed up and everyone stopping.

I don't know if you are guessing or know for sure about he rehearsal.

I always assumed the line about the rehearsal was just a funny excuse.

And rehearsals seemed to be a thing of the past as he just walked thru the shows towards the end.

Was there really a rehearsal that he just blew off?

I never for one moment believed there was a rehearsal.

And did he really have to rehearse a song that he had been doing since 1957?
Anyone?

It's oddly consistent how you miss so much, yet still lash out at others in a rude, offhand manner when confused.

You must be unaware of the fact that everyone in the group -- most especially Elvis -- was aware that CBS-TV was going to be videotaping several shows on the upcoming tour for a national broadcast in the fall. And so a rehearsal was scheduled beforehand. One Elvis did not bother to attend.

P.S. "Blue Christmas" is not known in a live performance until June 1968.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:28 am

My feeling is that he, at least in part, avoided situations where someone might inquire as to his appearance. It embarrassed him. Perhaps he felt ashamed. I don't think it was just laziness.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 am

This was supposed for Ian, c'mon guys lighten up!
Ian you the man! :smt023

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 am

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I think he looks fine there, and that's a nice version of Blue Christmas.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:?

It's oddly consistent how you miss so much, yet still lash out at others in a rude, offhand manner when confused.

Who is the one lashing out in a rude offhand manner?
This topic was going along quite nicely until this attack which wasn't needed based on the lines that come before.
C'mon Doc, try and show some manners and this board would be a much happier place.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 am

As for a rehearsal, it would have been logical to have one prior to CBS filming.
I wonder if a TCB band member could shed any light on whether one was planned.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:... And it's hard to image what he was thinking that night in Kansas City, with just 24 hours to go before the CBS cameras would be there to capture every little detail...

Considering his medicated condition, I'm not sure he was even aware that he was about to be filmed..............